PDA

View Full Version : NES Console Re-release

Bubba
07-14-2016, 02:40 PM
So Nintendo are re-releasing the Nintendo Classic Mini which is a replica of the original NES console. It fits in the palm of your hand plugs directly in via an HDMI cable. It comes with 30 NES games built in including the original Final Fantasy! It comes with

- All three Super Mario Bros. games
- Zelda 1 & 2
- Final Fantasy
- Metroid
- Donkey Kong
- Ghosts 'n' Goblins
- Kirby

I know most of you nerds will have all these games emulated but for non-tech savvy members like me... it's very exciting!

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Misc-/Nintendo-Classic-Mini/Nintendo-Classic-Mini-Nintendo-Entertainment-System-1124287.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=nintendoclassicmini&utm_content=announcement

What do we all think?

Sephiroth
07-14-2016, 02:51 PM
Can this thing only play the 30 games or can you use your cartridges? And more important, if yes, then I want it to be region free for my old FFII and FFIII.

Fynn
07-14-2016, 02:55 PM
meh

Shauna
07-14-2016, 03:13 PM
I am completely unimpressed by this. Only 30 games? How much are they going to charge for this, I wonder.

Slothy
07-14-2016, 03:18 PM
It's neat and all, but it seems like something that'd be better if you hacked it and modded it to be an emulator with a usb port or something. And even then it'd be a more limited emulation machine than most others you could build or buy.

Cool case though. I'd imagine the modding sort of folks may buy it for that alone.

Bubba
07-14-2016, 03:31 PM
Haha, oh well just me then!

It's got pretty much every game I'd want to play from the NES era. My old NES unit is very temperamental. Plus, I don't own a computer and know nothing about emulation.

It probably just appeals to Nintendo fanboys and technophobe dinosaurs like me.

theundeadhero
07-14-2016, 04:42 PM
Emulated? I own the original cartridges of the NES games I like :p
The idea is cool, but honestly, with todays technology they could have fit a chip in there that emulated every NES game, instead of the 30 they selected.

Depression Moon
07-14-2016, 05:33 PM
This got to be the only place on the net that I've seen people being lukewarm to it. THIS trout IS CRAZY!!!! THIS IS THE MOTHERsmurfING NES WITH 30 DAMN GAMES FOR ONLY $60!!!!
http://i.imgur.com/l5R07w4.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/7UPIqFb.gif

Oooh weee. I'd buy this in a heartbeat if I had some decent money.

Mirage
07-14-2016, 05:57 PM
It's basically just a locked down emulator on a locked down raspberry pi-clone with proprietary controller ports instead of USB ports. Feels like a cheap cash grab. Considering you can buy the hardware needed to do this yourself for 5 dollars (and for that, you'll get hardware that can do much more complex things than emulate NES games), I can't imagine these costing more than like 2 dollars to manufacture for nintendo. They're selling them for 50.

The only cool thing about this is the case, I guess.

Crop
07-14-2016, 06:05 PM
Well I'm down for this too! I'll drop 50 sheets to play some NES classics on my big tv. Great for storage and with the classic controller too, what's not to love?

I'll probably get it over Christmas time. I'm guessing it'll have 2 player support too since there's two controller ports. Excellent!

Colonel Angus
07-15-2016, 01:07 AM
I think this is the bee's knees! Those are some great games, a few I haven't played, tho. I'd like to ask, if you could pick 30 games to be on a system like this, which would you pick?

Depression Moon
07-15-2016, 01:21 AM
Super Dodgeball is the only one I think should've been on this. I see they don't have the Mike Tyson version of Punch-Out!!! But the only difference between the two is the final boss.

For a SNES one my thirty would be:

1. Super Mario All-Stars (of course)
2. Super Mario World (of course)
3. Yoshi's Island
4. Donkey Kong Country
5. Donkey Kong Country 2
6. Donkey Kong Country 3
7. Zombies Ate My Neighbors
8. Starfox
9. Super Metroid
10. F-Zero
11. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
12. Final Fantasy IV
13. Final Fantasy VI
14. Earthbound
15. Chrono Trigger
16. Super Mario RPG
17. Illusion of Gaia
18. Street Fighter II Turbo
19. Super Mario Kart
20. Kirby Super Star
21. Mega Man X
22. Super Castlevania
23. NBA Jam
24. Saturday Night Slammers
25. Super Double Dragon
26. Street Fighter Alpha 2
27. Pilot Wings
28. A Bomberman game
29. ???
30. ???

Bubba
07-15-2016, 07:06 AM
Awesome list, DP :D

I think I would need more than 30 for a SNES mini though. Too many good games to choose from!

Sephiroth
07-15-2016, 02:58 PM
My SNES list would be:

I. Final Fantasy IV
II. Final Fantasy V translated
III. Final Fantasy VI
IV. Chrono Trigger
V. Terranigma
VI. Secret of Mana
VII. Illusion of Gaia/Time
VIII. Soul Blazer
IX. Lufia
X. Lufia II
XI. Tales of Phantasia translated
XII. Super Mario RPG
XIII. Earthbound
XIV. The Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past
XV. Super Mario World
XVI. Yoshi's Island
XVII. Donkey Kong Country
XVII. Donkey Kong Country 2
XIX. Donkey Kong Country 3
XX. Super Mario Kart
XXI. Super Street Fighter II
XXII. Super Metroid
XXIII. Star Wing
XXIV. Castlevania
XXV. Mystic Quest
Et cetera

It even contains stuff I am not interested in. Those are for other people.

Colonel Angus
07-16-2016, 03:27 AM
SNES List:

Super Mario World
Yoshi's Island
Super Mario All*Stars
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Super Metroid
Super Punch-Out
Super Castlevania IV
Super Mario Kart
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy VI
Chrono Trigger
Secret of Mana
Street Fighter II' Turbo
Mortal Kombat II
Super Mario RPG
Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Country 2
Donkey Kong Country 3
Earthbound
Mega Man X
Secret of Evermore
F-Zero
Star Fox
Contra III
Final Fight
Pilotwings
Sim City
Illusion of Gaia
Breath of Fire
Captain Commando

maybee
07-16-2016, 05:30 AM
No Ninja Gaiden ? :cry:

Depression Moon
07-16-2016, 05:51 AM
Ninja Gaiden does come with this.

krissy
07-17-2016, 05:06 AM
does it do 4k upscaling

Mirage
08-08-2016, 08:03 PM
does it matter?

Colonel Angus
08-10-2016, 12:26 AM
http://gamerant.com/nes-classic-console-save-points/

sharkythesharkdogg
08-10-2016, 05:32 PM
At some point I want to make my own Super Nin-toaster. You could have one slot for SNES and one slot for NES games really.

http://www.stupidfingers.com/projects/snt/snt_01.jpg

I'm not certain if it's possible, but instead of re-purposing on whole SNES into a toaster, I'd like it to be able to play the cartridges I have and maybe a few more I'd collect, but also be able to switch over to emulation for any other games.

I like the idea, but I know veeeeery little about anything like Raspberry Pi or Arduino whatever else you'd use to piece the whole thing together.

Colonel Angus
08-10-2016, 06:16 PM
James the NES Nerd has a toaster NES.

Formalhaut
08-10-2016, 08:39 PM
A neat concept, though as others have said, they really could have thrown every NES game imaginable with current technology. It's cashing in on nostalgia, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I have reservations. They're just general questions I had. Honestly, I think it is a neat idea, but the execution is a tad off. 30 games isn't huge, considering what they could do with the technology.

Colonel Angus
08-10-2016, 11:52 PM
I think a lot of what's holding them back may be licensing rights, in particular from 3rd party games. And w/ those, it would most notably be 3rd party games that were licensed games, like Disney Capcom games.

They could've/should've included every first party game they released on the system, plus whatever 3rd party games they could get. I would've paid $100 for 100 games. But I imagine they'd want to keep the price low for the caz fan.

Formalhaut
08-10-2016, 11:56 PM
I get the 3rd party element I suppose, but there's still more than 30 first party games they could've bundled in.