PDA

View Full Version : Least Favorite Console Generation

Wolf Kanno
07-14-2016, 06:31 PM
We often always do favorite, but what about your least favorite console generation?

Del Murder
07-14-2016, 09:31 PM
May be opposite to others, but the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube era was my least favorite. PS2 is an awesome system but half of that was backwards compatibility with PS1. Gamecube was also Nintendo's weakest console, and N64 and Wii had far more games I enjoyed.

leader of mortals
07-15-2016, 05:10 AM
I'd probably have to say that the PS3,360,Wii generation is the worst based on the games that I play, even though it's the only one where I have all three systems. That might just be because I've become more of a PC gamer, though.

Laddy
07-15-2016, 05:37 AM
I agree with LoM, PC gaming was quite solid but the consoles saw the death of a lot of beloved genres in favor of transparently weak microtransactions, streamlined gameplay, and half-assed reboots.

Slothy
07-15-2016, 02:22 PM
So far, this one.

And Del, liking the PS2 mostly for backwards compatibility is criminal. It has one of the greatest game libraries in history.

Sephiroth
07-15-2016, 02:51 PM
NES Era easily. It might be true that it gave us Zelda and FF but as I think the ones it had brought up are nothing compared to other Zeldas and FF it is the NES Era. And it has nothing else for me.

maybee
07-16-2016, 05:33 AM
I'd probably have to say that the PS3,360,Wii generation is the worst based on the games that I play, even though it's the only one where I have all three systems. That might just be because I've become more of a PC gamer, though.

Yeah have to say the PS3/ Wii generation or this generation, as there's too much focus spent on shooter games ( Overwatch is refreshing and good though ) and DLC. Street Fighter V is a good example on how DLC just ruins games. Street Fighter x Tekken as well. There's also this 'graphics is more important than everything else ' ideal. Well graphics helps, it's not everything. There's reasons why people still play NES games today.

Depression Moon
07-16-2016, 06:06 AM
May be opposite to others, but the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube era was my least favorite. PS2 is an awesome system but half of that was backwards compatibility with PS1. Gamecube was also Nintendo's weakest console, and N64 and Wii had far more games I enjoyed.
Half? Nah

Resident Evil 4
Dark Cloud
Dark Cloud 2
Final Fantasy X
X-2
Dragon Quest VIII
Grand Theft Auto III
Grand Theft Auto Vice City
Grand Theft Auto San Andreas
Bully
Okami
Def Jam Vendetta
Def Jam Fight for NY
Street Hoops
NBA Street Vol.2
Valkyrie Profile 2
Arc the Lad Twilight of the Spirits
God Hand
Tekken 4
Tekken 5
Soul Calibur II
SSX Tricky
SSX 3
State of Emergency
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance
God of War
God of War II
Beyond Good & Evil
Psychonauts
The Punisher
Kingdom Hearts
Kingdom Hearts II

I'll go with gen 1 because I didn't grow up with it so I have no attachment to it and even among game enthusiasts it's hardly talked about, mostly reserved for video game history in those discussions really only the Magnovox Odyssey and SpaceWar are mentioned. The discussions never make me eager to try out any of these games.

Vermachtnis
07-16-2016, 06:16 AM
I'll also vote for the Wii/PS3 generation. I kind of skipped over that one, I've been doubling back but eh.

Pete for President
07-16-2016, 07:51 AM
Ps4/XBONE/WiiU cause I don't have one ^^;

Galuf
07-16-2016, 11:14 AM
gonna have to say NES Era. just because im not a fan of 8 bit games. its rare when graphics affect games... and nes has good games i just dont like the 8bitness (not its fault but oh well)

also its the only generation i have not played. save for LoZ 1 and 2 and FF 3. all of which i had only done the first dungeon.

Midgar Mist
07-18-2016, 04:46 PM
My memory spans lets see.....5 gaming generations now.

Lets take stock:
SNES/Amiga:Amiga yes but none of those games work anymore, SNES is the bane of my life. I came to it late, the games are short and difficult, you cannot save your game hardly at all. Also, after all this time the good SNES games are stupidly expensive.
PS1/N64: I've loved this console since i was 14 so, it rules this one out. However, the N64 bites.
PS2/GameCube:Love both of these, particularly PS2. So this era was probably the best in my view, so ruled out.
Nintendo DS/PS3: Some PS3 games look good to me but being on this forum means I've seen mud slinging at PS3 games. As for the DS, well the DS is great. I hope to pick up a PSP sometime too.
PS4/X Box One: I haven't played on either, and no one has influenced my opinion in any serious way so I'm neutral on this.

Anything I have highlighted in Red is what I don't like about each Era. Go with that.

If i had to choose I would say the SNES era is the low point (except the Amiga), and maybe some of the ones from the previous era, like anything thats on that Midway Arcade Treasures. Early to mid 80s games suck for someone like me, I'm sure theres about 15,000 men in their 30s and 40s who disagree with me but there you have it.

Mirage
07-20-2016, 09:17 AM
The current gen. A minimal amount of new games for the first idk 4 years now? The only things that are plentiful are remakes of PS360 games.

CimminyCricket
07-20-2016, 01:55 PM
So far this current generation is my least favorite. I've actually stopped playing games as often because there aren't that many I like.

Del Murder
07-20-2016, 07:00 PM
Perhaps the PS2 era coincided with a time in my life where I didn't care as much for video games as I did for surfing the internet and hanging out with college friends. Of the ones DM listed, I only played the FF and KH titles. I eventually played the remastered GoW series on PS3 and did like it, though.

That era just seems like the awkward teenage years of gaming. Sony broke into the market with PS1 and was the cool new kid on the block, but I just don't think PS2's lineup was better than PS1's. There's nothing close to a FFVII or Symphony of the Night on that system that made me awestruck. KH is the closest it came. For Nintendo, it was their first attempt at disc-based games and it seemed like they were still trying to figure out ways to evolve and react to Sony's insurgence. Other than Metroid Prime, the GameCube didn't produce anything groundbreaking. Wind Waker is underrated though.

I think a lot of it depends on what you grew up with. Obviously a kid born in the 2000s isn't going to say NES was their favorite era, or even PS2/GC.

Rocket Edge
07-20-2016, 09:03 PM
This one so far. The only truly great game I've played this gen is Rocket League. I haven't played a good RPG yet.

Slothy
07-20-2016, 09:14 PM
You need to go back and play some more PS2 games Del. I'll grant you that SOTN is one of the greatest games ever made, but the PS2 was when 3D games came into their own and I could name at least a dozen games that are better and more jaw dropping than the majority of PSX games on their best day, FFVII included. And I say this as someone who is a massive can of the former and quite enjoys the latter (was blown away by it at the time of release when I was younger). The PS2 really is one of the greatest consoles ever. Top 3 material easily.

Scotty_ffgamer
07-20-2016, 10:19 PM
This generation is about tied with nes and under for me as worst so far. That is liable to change as I play more stuff as I haven't had much time to play this generation. the nes is great and all, but I just prefer the way games evolved after that.

Del Murder
07-20-2016, 10:37 PM
You need to go back and play some more PS2 games Del.
Any suggestions? They would have to be available digitally or remastered for other systems.