PDA

View Full Version : [DQ] Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past Trailer

Colonel Angus
07-15-2016, 02:31 AM

Set for release on the Nintendo 3DS September 16. 2016. Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past is a remake of the 2001 Playstation game. The story is being retold with a rebuilt 3D world, which includes visible enemies. You play as the son of a fisherman, who travels through time to save the world. Along the way there are over 30 jobs for your team to acquire.

lrxt4onVw7w

Depression Moon
07-15-2016, 04:23 AM
I want to go in completely blind in this game like with V so I'm not clicking the video.

Randy
07-30-2016, 11:29 AM
This game got such a crazy reception in Japan and sold insanely well. But from all of the trailers, it looks incredibly dull compared to 8.

I hope it has hidden depths. Have to see how it reviews.

McLovin'
08-02-2016, 02:29 AM
Screw the FF7 remake. This is awesome. :D

This game got such a crazy reception in Japan and sold insanely well. But from all of the trailers, it looks incredibly dull compared to 8.

I hope it has hidden depths. Have to see how it reviews.

It does, it kinda reminds me of Chrono Trigger with the unfolding of the story. Plus I love the city you can build as you progress through the game. It's sooo nice to complete a level and go back to see how your city is doing :3

Randy
08-02-2016, 04:50 AM
It does, it kinda reminds me of Chrono Trigger with the unfolding of the story. Plus I love the city you can build as you progress through the game. It's sooo nice to complete a level and go back to see how your city is doing :3

You got the Japanese version? Or just basing this opinion on the original?

McLovin'
08-02-2016, 04:58 AM
On the original. I'd hope they only revamped the graphics for the remake, not cut stuff out. Twas a long ass game lol.

Fynn
08-02-2016, 06:03 AM
I heard they actually changed a lot but most of it was so that new players wouldn't get so lost in the game.

Wolf Kanno
08-02-2016, 09:07 AM
I already know they've added a character, though it seems his purpose is to give better direction to the players.

Randy
08-04-2016, 08:13 AM
On the original. I'd hope they only revamped the graphics for the remake, not cut stuff out. Twas a long ass game lol.

Can't remember where it was written, but I did read that they changed quite a bit. I think the main story and structure is intact though.

Ffamran mied Bunansa
08-09-2016, 04:59 PM
I am excited to finally play the one DQ game I have never even tried. Especially since it has so much praise.

Randy
09-03-2016, 06:40 AM
For saying it gets a lot of praise, the story sounds a bit boring.

I haven't really played much DQ though. Is it maybe a bit more like Zelda (in its tone) in that you don't really care about story that much?
Cos if it was a FF game, a bad story just completely kills it for me!

McLovin'
09-03-2016, 07:46 PM
For saying it gets a lot of praise, the story sounds a bit boring.

I haven't really played much DQ though. Is it maybe a bit more like Zelda (in its tone) in that you don't really care about story that much?
Cos if it was a FF game, a bad story just completely kills it for me!

The way the story is told is what I like.

you go into the past, go on a quest to lift the darkness from the place. Then go back to the present, world is changed, and you can explore the present place and a new quest you can do. Also some parts of the story require revisiting certain past places (literally) and that's a cool aspect. Chrono trigger comes to mind.

Randy
09-03-2016, 11:38 PM
Written like that it sounds ok. But the account I read made it sound like you just do that same thing repeatedly like 7 times or something?

McLovin'
09-04-2016, 07:25 PM
Written like that it sounds ok. But the account I read made it sound like you just do that same thing repeatedly like 7 times or something?

Shiet 7? I remember like 20 or more times. But, regardless, each place is different with a different setting and storyline. The exploration of new areas and discovery of new items/characters was my main driving factor to keep going. (hey the promised No mans sky 20 years ago...)

Wolf Kanno
09-05-2016, 06:42 AM
Dragon Quest is not a character driven adventure like FF is. Each party member is pretty lovable when you first meet them but kind of stop being so animated once they join. The real heart of the plot are the various smaller plots each town gives you. You basically travel to the past to witness a terrible event, and do your best to prevent it, then return to the present to reap your spoils, but often, the real issues are not something that can simply be resolved with a sword and spell. Certain stories don't end "happily ever after" no matter how much you try and many plots tend to fall more into the bittersweet side of thing.

The real joy of DQVII's story is a combination of putting certain pieces together in the plot and dealing with amusing hindsight issues due to time travel.

What I mean with the first one, is that while it's not obvious at first, certain events or characters are connected even though it may be hours between seeing said revelations. One character self-exiles themselves in one past scenario only to turn up elsewhere. One plague that totally destroyed a town from beyond repair in one arc may appear again in a more manageable way later. In the past you witness how the Demon Lord destroyed the world, but it's shown to you in a non-linear fashion with several arcs making sneaking callbacks to earlier exploits.

The other element I mentioned is that some arcs only really begin in the present, so it's not all about fixing the past. Often certain troubles involve social issues caused by people poor recollection of history so you can use your knowledge of the true sequence events to finally make a place better by resolving their issues in the present. So it's not all routine.

Yar
09-13-2016, 12:01 AM
Guys, this comes out this week omg

Spuuky
09-13-2016, 01:28 AM
If I had to give a very rough summary of the difference between the series:

(Modern) FF has a world, but you are exploring the characters.

DQ has characters, but you are exploring the world.

Sephex
09-13-2016, 01:53 AM
I played through most of the original version. I still have my file locked there in time. I do plan on getting this Friday because of all the improvements they made and it just looks so dang fun. Plus, for whatever reason, when Dragon Quest games are handheld I really don't mind the grind all of them have you do. I actually find it oddly relaxing. It was fun to progress this game back in the day, and this time I do plan on completing the journey!

Fynn
09-13-2016, 05:40 PM
I actually preordered this. Even though I'm mad as hell they've removed the live orchestra soundtrack from the Western release.

Yar
09-16-2016, 11:00 PM
I'm having fun so far! I'm still not sure about the soundtrack... It sounds orchestrated but maybe I'm wrong? Really the only gripe I have is that the font used in the game is so ugly. Who picked that? Why not something sans-serif?

Fynn
09-17-2016, 05:48 AM
Nope, it's synth. They don't sound too bad, but the difference is very jarring if you've listened a lot to the actual orchestral soundtrack. I think the sound bits for the strings are the worst.

I have it too, by the way, and I am so itching to play but don't have enough time for that now :(

Sephex
09-19-2016, 05:09 AM
I've been having fun. It seems the pacing has improved a bit, though I know the game will become more grindy when classes are introduced. I sort of overdid it when I played the original, so I might ease off it and only stop and grind if I find myself having trouble. The temptation to unlock those awesome classes by mastering others is just too much for me!

I put about 10 hours in so far. Forgot how fun it is to unravel the various mystery scenarios the game throws at you. The general atmosphere of the game is really cool, too.

NeoCracker
09-19-2016, 08:50 AM
Not to far into it yet, but dear god the characters are annoying in this one. O_O

McLovin'
09-19-2016, 02:54 PM
Ugh I need to borrow a 3DS for like a few months.

Fynn
09-20-2016, 05:54 AM
Holy shit am I the only person who gets the feeling your parents in this game don't like you very much? I mean, they clearly love you, but they don't like you. Get what I mean?

NeoCracker
09-20-2016, 05:28 PM
To be entirely honest no one in this game is all that likable. :p

Fynn
09-20-2016, 05:49 PM
Idk, I kinda like the main kids so far because they actually behave like real-life immature teens for once. And honestly, considering how much everyone is complaining about them and constantly berating them, I really sympathize with them. So props to Yuji Horii for actually faithfully replicating the teen experience!

Sephex
09-21-2016, 04:21 AM
Yeah, I have no problem with the kids. Dragon Quest games have never been about the characters for me, anyway. It's more about the larger world. The only exception to this was Dragon Quest VIII because they actually focused on the characters for a change, and even then the characterization isn't as deep as other RPGs.

NeoCracker
09-21-2016, 12:18 PM
...Well that got seriously fucked up real quick. O_O (Ellie, though I wont' say more so it won't spoil for anyone not this far.)

Wolf Kanno
09-21-2016, 05:47 PM
Yeah, VII might be the darkest entry surprisingly enough.

Yar
09-22-2016, 02:19 PM
No spoilers please!! I'm still not to the Alltrades Abbey yet :shobon:

Fynn
09-22-2016, 02:20 PM
Pretty sure that's not Alltrades Abbey territory yet either, since I haven't reached AA, but I think I just reached the island they mention.

But yeah, no spoilers :shifty:

Wolf Kanno
09-22-2016, 06:59 PM
Alltrade Abbey/Dharma Temple is not really big on story spoilers as much as it's the point the game takes the kiddy gloves off and decides to pull you through the wringer just before it hands you the keys to the city (job classes). It's the first serious difficulty jump in the game, but certainly not the last one.

Fynn
09-23-2016, 08:58 AM
So what exactly was so dark about the ELLIE segment? I really don't get it and I beat both the past and present. Nothing stuck out as particularly dark.

NeoCracker
09-23-2016, 10:39 AM
So what exactly was so dark about the ELLIE segment? I really don't get it and I beat both the past and present. Nothing stuck out as particularly dark.

Its how out of nowhere the bit came in compared to anything else in the game thus far.

The man had given up on humanity too the point he got all his emotional stimulation from a robot. Firstly that scene where she is feeding dead man soup shows he never was able to reconnect with people. And after he dies you get that whole present day segment, and it implies heavily that the Robot has some degree of emotion. Yet due to it's programming, it is still unable to realize the guy is dead.

That's some depressing shit right there. :p (Also currently past Alltrades abby)

Fynn
09-23-2016, 10:43 AM
Idk. It didn't really feel depressing to me at all and some of the stuff was downright dumb. I'm also pretty sure the robot just kept doing what it was programmed to do, as a robot would do. Did not get the impression it had a soul or emotions of its own whatsoever. Which makes the reaction of the people around all the more baffling. I mean, of course it would keep doing that thing over all these centuries - it's a machine and that;s literally the only thing it was programmed to do at that point. Sure, it's sad the guy died alone, but other than that the plot in the present was pretty meh. But that's just me :gator:

Yar
09-23-2016, 01:26 PM
It wasn't my favorite story so far, but yeah I did like the resolution of the Frobisher/Faraday story. It's subtle that Autonymus did not want to be bothered by humans again (unless I missed some more explicit dialogue). After "they" save the day, the king asks what he would like as reward and Autonymus says he doesn't want anything and then storms off. When you visit in the present you just see Ellie still trying to care for his pile of bones. While Fynn is right and the robot is programmed to act that way and probably doesn't have emotion, I guess I liked it from another perspective. I too got the impression that Autonymus wanted to be alone and that the robot was just executing commands. But he obviously had been completely alone with the robot, considering his skeleton was still there yet unnoticed.

But then you learn that the guy (I think his name is Ambrose?) happened upon his "academy" and saw the way the robot was still taking care of him and tried to prevent everyone from interfering with that. I thought that part was sweet and somewhat somber.

But yeah, no big WOW SO SAD moment, but I did like the resolution.

NeoCracker
09-23-2016, 01:36 PM
Idk. It didn't really feel depressing to me at all and some of the stuff was downright dumb. I'm also pretty sure the robot just kept doing what it was programmed to do, as a robot would do. Did not get the impression it had a soul or emotions of its own whatsoever. Which makes the reaction of the people around all the more baffling. I mean, of course it would keep doing that thing over all these centuries - it's a machine and that;s literally the only thing it was programmed to do at that point. Sure, it's sad the guy died alone, but other than that the plot in the present was pretty meh. But that's just me :gator:

Go back and talk to Ellie afterwords the story is finished, and there is an additional bit of dialogue that wasn't their the first time

Fynn
09-23-2016, 01:40 PM

Go back and talk to Ellie afterwords the story is finished, and there is an additional bit of dialogue that wasn't their the first time

I know. It doesn't convince me.

NeoCracker
09-23-2016, 01:42 PM

SO you are saying you believe that the robot was programed to thank you for returning it to it's master? That is.... a very, very bizarre thing to program

Yar
09-23-2016, 01:52 PM
I didn't catch that part! I will go back and see!

Fynn
09-23-2016, 01:52 PM

SO you are saying you believe that the robot was programed to thank you for returning it to it's master? That is.... a very, very bizarre thing to program

Even before that ELLIE's been shown to clearly react to what other people are doing, like when she follows the soldier because they have fresh soup, facilitating her tasks. It really doesn't seem unlikely that Autonymus would program her with basic social utterances to facilitate communication. So it really make sense that she'd say thank you after you help her resume her programmed task.

NeoCracker
09-23-2016, 01:58 PM

Even before that ELLIE's been shown to clearly react to what other people are doing, like when she follows the soldier because they have fresh soup, facilitating her tasks. It really doesn't seem unlikely that Autonymus would program her with basic social utterances to facilitate communication. So it really make sense that she'd say thank you after you help her resume her programmed task.

You mean like that time she totally thanked the people who were leading her to soup? :p

She reacts, yes, but there are two isntances in which she is helped. The first one she thinks the soldiers are leading her to fresh soup, but she doesn't thank them.

The second is when you return her to continue watching over the dead guy, in which case she does thank you. If she is programmed to thank people who help her, it seems odd that it didn't happen in the first case.

Also, why would Autonymos, who clearly hates people, program Ellie to thank other people? He wanted nothing to do with people.

Fynn
09-23-2016, 02:01 PM

You mean like that time she totally thanked the people who were leading her to soup? :p

She reacts, yes, but there are two isntances in which she is helped. The first one she thinks the soldiers are leading her to fresh soup, but she doesn't thank them.

The second is when you return her to continue watching over the dead guy, in which case she does thank you. If she is programmed to thank people who help her, it seems odd that it didn't happen in the first case.

Also, why would Autonymos, who clearly hates people, program Ellie to thank other people? He wanted nothing to do with people.

So she would thank him?

This must be amusing to people avoiding spoilers, btw :p

NeoCracker
09-23-2016, 02:09 PM

So she would thank him?

So why didn't she thank the soldiers who were bringing her to soup?

If it was programmed, there would have to be some oddly specific flags to trigger a thanks.

Offering to help with a task doesn't trigger a thanks, as the guards weren't thanked.

Helping her complete a task doesn't trigger a thanks, as you aren't thanked upon returning Ellie.

Returning her to her duty after she is prevented from preforming her task because the guards lied about soup and fixing her up, and then returning at a later time to speak to her triggers a thanks.

This is some strange programming at work here.

That or she has developed a sense of consciousness, and considering this is a world in which multiple NPC's have already stated they believe it to be possible? Seems the more likely option.

And who knows, maybe the Idea of dying alone with nothing but electronics to keep you company is just something that seems perfectly normal to you, hence the lack of feels. :p

Fynn
09-23-2016, 02:23 PM

So she would thank him?

So why didn't she thank the soldiers who were bringing her to soup?

If it was programmed, there would have to be some oddly specific flags to trigger a thanks.

Offering to help with a task doesn't trigger a thanks, as the guards weren't thanked.

Helping her complete a task doesn't trigger a thanks, as you aren't thanked upon returning Ellie.

Returning her to her duty after she is prevented from preforming her task because the guards lied about soup and fixing her up, and then returning at a later time to speak to her triggers a thanks.

This is some strange programming at work here.

That or she has developed a sense of consciousness, and considering this is a world in which multiple NPC's have already stated they believe it to be possible? Seems the more likely option.

And who knows, maybe the Idea of dying alone with nothing but electronics to keep you company is just something that seems perfectly normal to you, hence the lack of feels. :p

That we don't see her thank the soldiers doesn't mean she didn't.

And no, the idea of dying alone with electronics around you is sad, and that was pretty touching, but nothing that would make me go "woah", or even begin to assume that this automaton somehow grew a soul. There is nothing in this game's universe that suggests even a slight possibility that a machine can somehow grow a soul. There is no foundation to believe such a thing could even happen. And yet people suddenly treat it like it's a person for some reason?

And believe me, I say this as a person who think that machines IRL could some day possibly have souls. There's just nothing in the story to really warrant the reaction from the characters that they had.

To me, the story came across as kind of wasted potential, especially after so many people said (not just here) that it's so sad and dark. I just think it's pretty dumb that 1) they decided that a robot still supplying soup to a dead guy is a good reason to prohibit entry to that area without telling anyone why and 2) I feel bad for the thing and I think it's way sadder that they really think it's the righteous thing to just have it repeat this meaningless activity for eternity instead of trying to actually put it to good use so that it can have a new purpose instead of constantly living in a delusion.

The most frustrating thing here is that there is an interesting story buried undreneath. Everyone says that the whole historic even we witnessed is lost to history - we never find out why or how, and it goes nowhere aside from "oh there was actually an old guy there that died and his robot thinks he's not dead yet." And it really could have gone somewhere dark since the lack of historical records is just asking form them to repeat mistakes from the past, which again is flirted with briefly but is quickly forgotten.

So yeah, this story could have just been handled better. Heck, i think the whole scenario would have worked much better with a very simple change - just let us visit the shack and see the robot in action ourselves, without adding that pointless story in the present that goes nowhere. I think it would have been much more effective then.

TheKeybasHKey
09-23-2016, 09:06 PM
Is Dragon Quest VII good? I own a 3DS and I kinda got interested in this game do you recommend it to me or not?

Yar
09-23-2016, 09:09 PM
I would recommend it if you have played Dragon Quest before! Otherwise, I think it could be really hard to get into... It's a massive game and takes at least two hours of play before it really takes off.

If you are interested in getting into the series, I would recommend starting with DQ IV-VI or IX.

Fynn
09-23-2016, 09:44 PM
It's really good and a bit on the easier side, so I'd definitely recommend it.

Yar
09-25-2016, 05:23 PM
Well, I suffered my first defeat. :(

I just met Jacqueline and died at that fight

It's nice that the difficulty is starting to pick up but man I hate dying in DQ games. I need to get like a million healing herbs

NeoCracker
09-26-2016, 08:11 AM
You know, my biggest issue with this game up until now is how many of the story arc felt like the ended prematurely.

...That isn't the case I thought it was it would seem.

Edit: Okay, plenty of arcs still feel like they end prematurely, but eh. I'm digging it more as I get farther in.

Though the first classes I picked up that require mastery of other classes were Pirate, Luminaire, and Paladin. And whole shit I am mobbing everything right now. O_O

This is like, embarrassing how much ass this team is kicking.

Sephex
09-27-2016, 11:48 AM
Just a general update on what I think of the game as far as mechanics go. My problem with the original was that it was very slow going, the difficultly seemed a bit too high (but nothing unmanageable), and the pacing is off. I love this version a lot better. In my opinion, all those problems have been fixed. It is still a grind if you want to get the Hero vocation unlocked a bit early, but it is still much, much faster than the original game. In fact, the only point that I stopped and grinded was at the beginning of the game only to afford the best equipment before I started to grind out vocations. Two of three of my characters are too strong to advance their vocations at this point, so I am moving the plot a long until I come across a point where everyone can accumulate vocation experience. The enemies on the map allow you to control your encounter rate (for the most part). What also saves tons of time is how quickly it displays damage instead of describing and showing hit by hit like the original. 30 plus hours so far and loving it!

Fynn
09-27-2016, 12:06 PM
Yeah, I never played the original, but the vocations are progressing way faster here than in DQ VI. I mean, I'd only unlocked them recently and my team has almost maxed their first vocations with very little effort on my part. I haven't even really started the next story!

Yar
10-03-2016, 01:47 PM
I'm about 36 hours in now. I've unlocked the jobs and I've mastered about three per character.

I'm somewhat disappointed in the lack of identity the jobs actually give your characters. Jobs don't seem to affect weapon and armor equipment at all. This seems to be character-specific. I guess it still works but I find it weird having priest that wields a battle axe.

Maybe it will make more sense once I get into the secondary jobs.

Fynn
10-03-2016, 01:51 PM
Yeah, that's kind of how it worked in DQVI as well. Vocations here are more of like a means to determine your character's stat growth and skills instead of being a real full-on class. It's still cool the outfits change, at least.

Yar
10-03-2016, 04:32 PM
I've played through Dragon Quest VI before but man I barely remember the job system in that one.... I guess I need to replay through it again soon?

I remember liking it but I can't even tell you what it was about or who the characters even were. :|

Fynn
10-03-2016, 04:34 PM
The job system was pretty much identical. There were just fewer classes and you could keep all the abilities

NeoCracker
10-04-2016, 03:50 PM
More so then any other Dragon Quest game, this one feels so, so very slow.

Fynn
10-04-2016, 03:51 PM
I'm actually surprised with how much it doesn't for me. I'm 45 hours in and I could swear I've only played it for 15. The episodic nature of the game really helps make it still feel fresh and exciting even this far in.

NeoCracker
10-04-2016, 04:17 PM
I think there are way to many quests where you are just running back and forth doing little to nothing, especially how boring many of the tablets are to collect. For example, ripped from my review,

1) Talk to a guy in the who mentions someone won a fragment here.

2) Go to guys house and find out he's back at the gambling hall.

3) Even though you know who the guy is if you talked to him before, and you will see him in the tunnel exiting the gambling hall, you first have to talk to the bunny girl in the who mentions him.

4) Talk to him to find out he sold the fragment to the armor shop keeper.

5) Armor shop keeper wife tells you he is at the Beacon.

6) Traverse the beacon (Which you have already been through) and talk to him at the top to find out a priest now has it.

7) Go to church, find out the Priest isn't there, find out he's gambling.

8) Priest denies having fragment, leaves.

9) Talk to a nearby nun and find out priest has been messing around in front of the alter late at night.

10) Find fragment in front of the alter.

This is the worst example, but there are a few like it.

And all the times you go to the present only to run around talking to NPC's that have nothing of interest to say in order to advance the story? It's a lot of wasted time I felt.

Fynn
10-04-2016, 04:20 PM
To me it felt like it really helped develop the world. You talk to more people than you normally would, and they have some traces of personality that actually makes the world seem more alive, imo. Still, that's just my opinion.

NeoCracker
10-04-2016, 04:24 PM
I would have agreed if I felt more of those NPC's you talk to had much character. Some of the bigger name NPC's definately do, but many you end up talking to out of necessity for quest lines aren't even named NPC's with personalities, and to be frank DQ has never been that great at creating a vast amount of interesting characters. I mean they do exist, but they are scarce.

Vermachtnis
10-15-2016, 02:47 AM
I've been playing this mostly at work. I'm loving it so far. I'm only 11 hours in and at Greenthumb Gardens. Had my first wipe in the cave there because I wasn't expecting a boss fight. Still haven't unlocked Jobs yet.

McLovin'
11-02-2016, 04:11 PM
Borrowed a friends 3DS and got this. Nostalgia to the face. The music in Estard is so relaxing. I love coming back to it after a dungeon in the other places. Really impressed that all the people change their dialogue after events. Like jesus christ i just talked to you and now youre saying something else after I did this minor thing. I love that exploration aspect. The references to what the later story will be revealed to are also super nice touches. they talk about the Almighty everywhere and also about Auster's real father or ancestor or something I believe who disappeared a long time ago?

maybee
11-02-2016, 07:15 PM
Just got this game and it's sooooooo fun and great, it is a little slow and tedious to begin with though. :/

Yar
11-03-2016, 03:31 PM
Just got this game and it's sooooooo fun and great, it is a little slow and tedious to begin with though. :/

Yeah I agree with that assessment of the first few hours. It takes a while to get going. That's why I really feel this particular entry is for those already fans of the series.

Vermachtnis
12-18-2016, 08:17 PM
I think I went a little overboard on the grinding. I'm roughly halfway through the game. Getting ready to fight the Demon Lord in the past. And I've unlocked the Hero class for Auster. And I'm halfway to Champion with Aishe, she already mastered Paladin and started Gladiator. And when Maribel rejoins I'm going to have to grind again to catch her up on classes. She's going to be a Druid and she's already mastered Sage before she left. I don't remember if I started on Luminary. I think at best she either has Troubadour or Dancer, but not both. And she hasn't even touched Jester. And I guess since I've mentioned the others, I'm having Gabo learn Monster classes. And I had Mervyn learn Sage and have kept him there.