PDA

View Full Version : Netflix Series - Stranger Things Season 2

Night Fury
07-15-2016, 10:38 PM
If you're a fan of 80's movies that are horror/sci fi - like ET and Poltergeist etc, you need to go watch Stranger Things on Netflix. It's bloody brilliant, the acting is top notch - especially by the kids. It has Winona Ryder too. It's a very, very good genre/era tv show!

=XWxyRG_tckY

This is something bloody special.

Slothy
07-16-2016, 01:52 AM
Your description has sold me. I will be sure to check it out soon.

Bubba
07-16-2016, 08:36 AM
Is it particularly scary?

MissH and I are looking for a new series after finishing Game of Thrones and Limitless. Just been announced they've cancelled series 2 of the latter :mad2:

I really enjoy scary stuff but she's not massively keen.

Night Fury
07-16-2016, 05:15 PM
It's not scary Bubba! It has a few chilling moments but it's very much a sci fi series. Nothing has scared me too much in it!

-

im up to episode 6 now and it's still very strong. There are a few issues, but on the whole so very enjoyable.

One be thing I love about it is it doesn't try to hard to be complex. It's easy to follow while still having mystery. It doesn't suffer from getting overly far fetched like some shows.

Night Fury
07-16-2016, 07:38 PM
Okay so I got done and finished this.

10/10 amazing. Well played Netflix, well played!

Pheesh
07-18-2016, 09:10 AM
Started this today. Only one episode in but it was amaaazing, can't wait to keep going.

Night Fury
07-18-2016, 10:23 AM
I'm so glad your watching this but a bit legit sad I can't watch it with you!!!

Bubba
07-18-2016, 10:41 AM
Sephex and Shorty have been raving about this too so I decided to take the plunge. Started watching the first episode last night. It's good to see Winona Ryder back acting again instead of nicking stuff. Some child actors I can find annoying but they are actually all very talented. Plus, they are all geeks!

Sephex
07-18-2016, 12:16 PM
Yeah, I finished this in one sitting.

I don't particularly enjoy marathoning stuff.

That should tell you how much I enjoyed watching this.

I love...LOVE the synth soundtrack. I've been all about listening to that style of music in recent years. The child actors are also very convincing. Like most elements from the early 80s the series draws from it seems that they were plucked from the time period. The best part is that the show doesn't clobber the whole early 80s thing over the viewer's heads. It comes as naturally as any movie shot around that time period, like E.T.

Pheesh
07-18-2016, 05:16 PM
I can't get away from how much like a Stephen King novel this show is. I am absolutely loving everything about it.

EDIT: Aaaaand done. Can't remember the last time I was gripped that hard by a show. That was pure excellence from start to finish and my body is so ready for the next installment.

Del Murder
07-19-2016, 05:48 PM
This is pretty great stuff. Like Sephex I don't care to 'binge watch' shows but if I had enough time I would have started and finished the thing last night.

Slothy
07-22-2016, 06:50 PM
On episode 3 now myself. Loving this so far. Great show and it actually feels authentically 80's. Most of the time, if i don't know better, you could convince me it was made back then.

Mirage
07-22-2016, 08:10 PM
Oh wow winona ryder that's who it is. thought she seemed familiar

i've only watched the first episode so far

Del Murder
07-22-2016, 09:11 PM
On episode 3 now myself. Loving this so far. Great show and it actually feels authentically 80's. Most of the time, if i don't know better, you could convince me it was made back then.
The HD gives it away. Every time I see the credits and then HD quality picture it throws me for a loop.

The series was great, but it fell into some tropes at times. Like the black kid being the angry one and of all the teenagers the awkward yet sensible friend is the one that gets killed. Hop was not like that though. He was great, reminded me of Han Solo. Also Dustin was hilarious. And Eleven's actress just knocked it out of the park.

Slothy
07-22-2016, 09:39 PM
The HD gives it away. Every time I see the credits and then HD quality picture it throws me for a loop.

A bit off topic but depends on the quality of the film from the time and how well preserved it is. The resolution of film is actually significantly higher than 1080p HD so a good digital transfer of quality film from the 80's would look pretty great.

Mirage
07-23-2016, 07:50 PM
Yeah, TV broadcasts/VHS were by far the weakest link in the 80s and 90s. A good film from the 90s could easily capture more details than you could see in a 720p video, however, the only chance you'd have to see it would be in the cinema, and that's also assuming your cinema got a high-tier copy, cause analogue film duplication isn't perfect and some image quality is lost every time. Smaller cinemas would get copies of copies of copies, while big cinemas would perhaps get a copy that was done directly from the master.

Smaller cinemas benefited greatly from the change to digital projectors, as they could now get the exact same image quality no matter how insignificant they were.

Sephex
07-24-2016, 05:31 PM

A bit off topic but depends on the quality of the film from the time and how well preserved it is. The resolution of film is actually significantly higher than 1080p HD so a good digital transfer of quality film from the 80's would look pretty great.

Yeah, a lot of old TV shows were shot with high quality film (or whatever you call it) and looks great when upscaled for modern TV viewing. The best example of this I can think of his how Star Trek: TNG looks GREAT on Blu-Ray because it was shot in HD to begin with. They had to redo the special effects only because those obviously were not filmed.

Psychotic
08-19-2016, 09:58 PM
Finally got around to watching this and god fucking damn. What a fantastic show. Argh why do they always have little cliffhangers though!

Mister Adequate
08-21-2016, 12:23 AM
This was a Good TV Show and everyone ought to watch it.

blackmage_nuke
08-21-2016, 09:43 AM
I took a bit of a break after episode 5 (when Nancy went into the tree stump and it was closing because I didnt think i could stand another "just missed the supernatural thing, big misunderstanding" but then thank god they resolved that early in the next ep

Freya
09-06-2016, 04:05 PM
We watched this with friends 2 episodes one week, 2 the next than finally this weekend we finished 4 with them. I think it worked better spacing it out like that because we were more hyped.

I just didn't know where it was going. That was what was nice. It just kept changing the story on me. I'm usually good at guessing before things happen but I couldn't. I mean occasionally I could but it was original and unique and I loved that.

FFNut
09-06-2016, 07:46 PM
I haven't seen this, but it sounds interesting. I may check it out as I just finished the series I was watching.

Freya
09-06-2016, 08:05 PM
It's only 8 episodes so it wont take long!

Bubba
09-07-2016, 04:46 PM
Just finished episode 6!

I even have MissH watching with me and she can't stand anything horror-related! We'll be watching the next one when I'm back from work in a few hours.

Steve is a douche.

Crop
09-18-2016, 10:45 PM
Just watched it over the weekend. Utterly fantastic. Utterly, utterly fantastic.

krissy
09-23-2016, 01:25 PM
it was pretty good

very silent hill

Freya
02-06-2017, 06:20 PM
9Egf5U8xLo8

For anyone who didn't see it!

Jinx
02-06-2017, 07:45 PM
i scare

Freya
02-06-2017, 07:53 PM
That big thing in the sky, whaaaat

Jinx
02-06-2017, 07:57 PM
I hope Will is actually in this season, btw.

Jinx
02-06-2017, 08:01 PM
Okay, now I'm kind of pissed.

I did a google search to see if anything was going to come up about Will being in the next season more. "Will Stranger Things" will suggest "Will Stranger Things gay".

There are people out there concerned about the sexuality of a 12yo/a 12yo character.

CAN YOU JUST LIKE FUCK OF JFC

I mean, of course it's cool if he is or the character Will is. But it's like, who fucking cares? And why are you sexualizing children/so concerned about a 12yo's sexual orientation? Like

wtf

wtffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

Depression Moon
02-06-2017, 10:10 PM
It still seems weird there's going to be a sequel.

Freya
02-06-2017, 10:13 PM
Okay, now I'm kind of pissed.

I did a google search to see if anything was going to come up about Will being in the next season more. "Will Stranger Things" will suggest "Will Stranger Things gay".

There are people out there concerned about the sexuality of a 12yo/a 12yo character.

CAN YOU JUST LIKE smurf OF JFC

I mean, of course it's cool if he is or the character Will is. But it's like, who smurfing cares? And why are you sexualizing children/so concerned about a 12yo's sexual orientation? Like

wtf

wtffffffffffffffffffffffffffff
Yeah that's pretty what the hell-ish

Freya
07-23-2017, 05:26 AM
vgS2L7WPIO4

Darth Ganon
07-23-2017, 06:23 AM
Duuuuuuuude...

I forgot that I saw there was a trailer at work today, but didn't have time to watch it.

I didn't see this show as it was being released, but a couple other co-workers happened to be marathoning it the same time I started it up (nothing exciting to others, but I never get to talk about show I like with people). It was an absolute blast. Now I have another co-worker that is into it, so hopefully she'll still be around in October for this.

Night Fury
07-23-2017, 06:56 AM
I actually think this one looks better than the first.

Jinx
07-23-2017, 02:26 PM
I actually think this one looks better than the first.

Same! I actually think the first was just okay, it just got a lot of attention and praise.

That's one great fucking trailer, though. Like, just a genuinely very good trailer. That use of Thriller, tho. *Italian hands*

Freya
07-23-2017, 05:06 PM
I think what worked for the first was that it was a unique concept while still hitting on nostalgia of the 80s. So the formula worked and people got into it!

Now though, they have a chance to really refine it. They don't have to set up characters or anything. Or the concept of the scary stuff, they can just jump right into it!

Gonna be a blast.

Sephex
07-23-2017, 06:40 PM
That is seriously one of the best trailers I have ever seen. Even if I ignore at how well put together that trailer was I really do think that this season will be better. It's going to be crazier, but reserved enough to push the story in a logical and fun direction. Man, I was 2 when this season of Stranger Things takes place, but I do have many vague memories of that year. Well, with how much stuff like Thriller and Ghostbusters was pushed around back then, I would be more amazed if I didn't remember any of that, even at a couple years old!

Skyblade
07-30-2017, 10:47 AM
I'm watching this with my roommates (Rose started us on it, and I can't watch it until she's available again, it wouldn't be fair). We got through Episode 5. Thoroughly enjoying it so far. I had some initial trepidation at how well it would handle interconnecting the various story elements, but it's done a marvelous job at that. The child actors are far better than usual, the plotline is engaging, and it handles the tonal shifts from the three different story arcs very well. I'm excited to finish it, and see where Season 2 will go.

Darth Ganon
10-18-2017, 12:51 AM
So we're just not going to talk about the most recent (and final) trailer here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yv_yZZZKzKY

Bubba
10-18-2017, 02:06 PM
I'm glad all the cast have returned for this series. I like Eleven's curly hair!

Psychotic
10-18-2017, 07:51 PM
I've been rewatching season 1 to prepare for season 2 as I had kinda forgotten everything. In particular I had forgotten just how fucking brilliant this show is. Maybe I'm preaching to the converted but I definitely recommend a rewatch.

Darth Ganon
10-21-2017, 07:36 AM
I will definitely be binging it before S2. Also, I became so use to Eleven with the blonde wig that dark hair seems really off.

CimminyCricket
10-21-2017, 02:30 PM
I'm pretty excited for this to start. I don't know if I'm gonna have time to binge watch it though. I cosplayed as Eleven with some friends last year.

Freya
10-23-2017, 03:05 PM
This weekend! :excited: