PDA

View Full Version : Game, anime, or manga?

Fynn
07-19-2016, 02:53 PM
Which of the three main versions of the Pokemon continuity do you enjoy the most? The games that are the root of it all? The anime we all grew up on? Or the manga with its darker themes and engaging plot?

For me, the games still remain the main reason I'm into Pokemon, though the Pokemon Special manga is pretty close!

Loony BoB
07-19-2016, 03:17 PM
This is really tough for me. On the one hand, I love the premise of the games. On the other hand, I have a massive dislike for how you can't catch all the Pokémon in a single game, but instead have to buy two different games and/or trade. Attending an event is not catching. Trading is not catching. Catch 'em all, not be given them all. #petpeeves I don't mind if you can't get the first 150 in the second generation, or anything like that, I just think that each generation's games should have every Pokémon in that generation included. It's the most blatant cash grab out there.

The anime is great, at least the ones I've watched, but I don't know that I'd say it has the same appeal as actually catching the Pokémon yourself in a game. Despite this, it'll get my vote (just barely) because of the vastly improved character portrayal when compared to the games, which have little to no personality despite being freakishly fun.

Never read the manga.

Psychotic
07-19-2016, 03:19 PM
Games. Red, Stadium and Snap were all big parts of my youth! With that said, the show was awesome too.

...don't forget the cards though Fynn! ;)

Pike
07-19-2016, 03:20 PM
I was spoiled by the Digimon Tamers anime which was surprisingly dark and deep, the Pokemon anime just didn't compare at all for me. And it bugged me a lot that like, Pikachu used thunder on Brock's Onix and it was super effective or whatever. xD

That said, the games are still one of my all time favorite series.

Fynn
07-19-2016, 03:28 PM
Games. Red, Stadium and Snap were all big parts of my youth! With that said, the show was awesome too.

It's not exactly a medium with a story, though

Psychotic
07-19-2016, 03:31 PM
Sure there's a story. The legendary shiny Charizard is trapped inside a packet of cards and only throwing as much money as possible at it can free it from its foil prison. The character development is a little light but you can't fault a good love story.

Fynn
07-19-2016, 03:34 PM
Sure there's a story. The legendary shiny Charizard is trapped inside a packet of cards and only throwing as much money as possible at it can free it from its foil prison. The character development is a little light but you can't fault a good love story.

That's just your headcanon

SammieBabe
07-19-2016, 03:43 PM

I loved Pokémon Snap! I'd still play it if I could.

Pumpkin
07-19-2016, 03:45 PM
I dunno. I watched the anime first and that made me really want to play the games but I couldn't for a while. Since then I like the games more but it all started with the anime.

Wolf Kanno
07-19-2016, 07:19 PM
Definitely the games. The anime was cute for sure but got really repetitive and dumb rather quickly. The manga series were much better and did more to really explain what a Trainer's life is really like. Course like Pike, Digimon just had the better anime series so it was hard to stomach Pokemon.

Scotty_ffgamer
07-19-2016, 09:27 PM
Man, getting that shiny Charizard was such a big deal, but then it was the second generation and not as good. But then I found one more pack of the original print of cards, and there it was. My heart grew three sizes that day, and I felt like I got the golden ticket from Willy Wonka. Greatest love story.

Seriously, I'd say games, as the love for that still exists in spurts now while I havent touched the anime in years. I think I had a couple of issues of the manga but that's it. I'd actually like to check it out.

qwertysaur
07-20-2016, 03:25 AM
I LOVE Pokemon special.

Vermachtnis
07-23-2016, 06:30 PM
The games by a wide margin.

I loved Pokémon Snap! I'd still play it if I could.

Where's Snap 2!? The WiiU Tablet thing/the 3DS camera would be perfect for a camera game.

Pike
07-23-2016, 07:06 PM
I love pokemon cards man. I have a ton of the originals in a big folder somewhere. I also really loved the Pokemon Trading Card Game... for Game Boy.

Sephiroth
07-23-2016, 09:31 PM
The anime. Whenever people remember the anime they only remember naivety but the anime is so much more. Emotional from the very beginning. Ash never gives up (and no, that does not mean he does not give up in one particular match) whenever he sees he has lost he tries to find a new way to win. He has shown his affection to his comrades, both human and Pokémon friends and his strong bond so often. And he is brave. He has sacrificed (Mewtwo VS Mew) and risked his life so often you can't even count it. The scene at the beginning of Pokémon XY when he jumped off of a super high tower to save a Garchomp - oh man.