PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10, one more thing before I give up

Midgar Mist
07-21-2016, 08:12 PM
So, it took about 8 hours but I managed to download Windows 10 up to 99 per cent before my signal dipped again.

This may be hard to explain as i don't believe there a connection like this in America.

I have whats called Mobile Broadband, which means a Cellphone company (by the name of O2) provides me with a mobile modem that i can plug in and out.

Now, to save money, I opted not to have Wi-fi on it so its only in my house where I can get it.

Trouble is, the signal often dips down from 4G to 3G at random.

When it dipped during the preparatory phase it cancelled the installation. The 2nd phase passed by smoothly but the 3rd phase (the main installation) has reached 99% and its stuck there.

For most of the night, the signal held firm at 4G but dipped in the early afternoon sometime.

To get it back to 4G involves unplugging and plugging back in, and in this 3rd phase didn't seem to cancel the download, but its not moving it over to 100% it seems. So near, and yet so far.

Also, is it at all possible this thing will download on a weaker 3G broadband eventually? Or is it already too late due to my interrupting the connection in an attempt to re-establish 4G?

Any tips, any tips at all please.

Midgar Mist
07-21-2016, 11:09 PM
...............never mind. Damn thing crashed while i was playing The Sims 2.

i think its lost, and now theres just black space where my desktop should be

...........that should return to windows 7 but

...............screw it:slump:

Mirage
07-22-2016, 12:46 AM
Mobile broadband is shit no matter where you are in the world

Midgar Mist
07-22-2016, 07:10 PM
Had to do a System Restore which took it back to how it was on 17/07 so, definitely gone. I'm lucky i still have a working Windows 7.

Thanks to all who tried to help.

Skyblade
07-24-2016, 04:56 PM
Had to do a System Restore which took it back to how it was on 17/07 so, definitely gone. I'm lucky i still have a working Windows 7.

Thanks to all who tried to help.

Sorry I didn't catch this in time.

I'm slightly confused by what caused your crash. The update is supposed to fully download before it begins installing or messing with your system files.

You do have a couple days left should you wish to try again, or you could contact Microsoft and ask for some help or a time extension.

Midgar Mist
07-24-2016, 08:57 PM
The crash seemed to be caused by the following things:

I'm not sure how well you understand mobile internet but suffice to say it is crap. Windows 10 reached a 99% download and stayed on that for about 10 hours.

I still hoped maybe if i hung onto it i could get it downloaded. So, i went about other business on my computer, such as playing The Sims 2 (which is extremely glitchy on Windows 7). The Sims 2 crashed, and the computer shut itself down. When it rebooted i was greeted to a black screen instead of my desktop, the only thing that was working was the internet.

I got my desktop back by going into Safe Mode with Networking help, then rebooted, pressed F8 (i think) and started System Restore, which worked. It restored my system to an earlier date.

I'm just gonna live with Windows 7 because, my internet connection is such that i refuse to aggravate my sleep pattern further by spending another day and a half waiting for Windows 10 to download.