PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone played I Am Setsuna yet?

Scotty_ffgamer
07-27-2016, 05:09 AM
Just curious how it ended up turning out.

Bubba
07-27-2016, 01:59 PM
Completed it this morning. The bit at the end with the giraffes confused me.

McLovin'
07-27-2016, 10:03 PM
The mechanics are superb, but man this story is just bland.
Considering it seeks to emulate Chrono Trigger so closely, it's a shame that it lacks that game's charm and humour. But give it a shot and decide for yourself, it's very fun.

Bright Shield
07-29-2016, 04:44 PM
It's a decent game, but nothing mind blowing.

Raebus
07-30-2016, 09:40 AM
I go for rpg's with a decent story and consider the battle system secondary, looks like I won't be buying this until it's way cheaper.

Fynn
07-30-2016, 10:53 AM
I was sort of expecting this. Will probably pick it up eventually, but I really can't summon the hype in me - couldn't from the beginning.

Randy
07-30-2016, 12:33 PM
Third of the way through it now.

Bit of a let down to be honest. It does do some things very well (art style, music, battle system) but unfortunately it's pretty terrible with the things that I personally need in an RPG: world building and story telling. Both are incredibly amateur. So far the world is a series of almost identical towns that you stay in for about 10 minutes each (in terms of the story as well as the amount of interest). And storytelling consists of telling you the main point of the story within the first 10 minutes and so far, not deviating from it at all. Maybe they're going to somehow turn that on its head later on, but so far it's got to be the least engaging approach to a story I've seen in a while.

McLovin'
07-31-2016, 01:42 AM
The developers village made me sad talking to all the developers :( Could have been better...

Ffamran mied Bunansa
08-06-2016, 11:09 PM
I really really enjoyed it. I understand why other people might not, but I found it had great pacing and fun mechanics to fool around with. If it had been longer it probably would have started to wear on me, but it never did.

starlet
08-12-2016, 01:02 AM
So far it's not bad. It's like chrono trigger and ffx had a baby, as far as story goes. I love the battle system though.

Vermachtnis
08-12-2016, 07:49 PM
I'm downloading it now. I can't wait.

NeoCracker
08-15-2016, 07:57 AM
Only a couple hours in. Not bad.

Nothing mind blowing, but its fun, characters are pretty good, combat is solid if not mind blowing, and the game looks super pretty.

Wolf Kanno
11-20-2016, 08:59 PM
So far I've been really enjoying it. Definitely a love letter to the 16-bit era in terms of presentation. I'm also enjoying the world, which hits all the marks I felt FFX had missed with this kind of story premise. Combat is fun and I'm loving the soundtrack for the most part, barring a few pieces where the piano just doesn't work for me.

theundeadhero
11-22-2016, 04:43 PM
I made a piano piece from here the background music when I'm in the PS4 menus. I can't remember which one it is now, but it's all pretty good.

Fynn
11-22-2016, 04:48 PM
An all-piano can work very well, as long as it's done by a composer who actually knows how to bring out the piano's true potential.

That said, I haven't listened to much of the soundtrack of this game yet. The battle theme seemed fun enough, if not really ambitious.

Wolf Kanno
11-22-2016, 05:04 PM
The issue the composer has is that they are trying to stick to a minimalist style to work with the game's theme of melancholy, and while this works wonderfully for the story sections and parts of the world/dungeons, it doesn't necessarily translate well into everything. So in essense, they are working within an odd self-imposed restriction. Other than that though, I'm largely loving the OST.

The game has it's flaws but it's honestly hit all the right notes for me so far, and the world and setting work so much better for the "sacrificial pilgrimage" storyline than FFX and Tales of Symphonia, which both had some world/setting problems which ultimately undermined the plot and themes for me. Dropping the whole "evil religion that perpetuates the ritual" alone makes this game feel a bit fresh compared to those two. Course things may change since I think I'm only halfway through the game currently.

Fynn
11-22-2016, 05:27 PM
You know that religion twist is coming :p

And yeah, minimalism rarely works for piano battle themes

Wolf Kanno
11-22-2016, 05:47 PM
Trying to shoe-horn it in at this point would be quite the blunder considering half the world doesn't seem to believe in the ritual anymore. The game still hasn't exactly established how the Sacrifice actually "fixes" the problems considering that in addition to somehow making the monsters more docile it also seems to impede on their intelligence and evolution.

Despite the monsters looking absolutely adorable (one of the issue of basing all your designs on arctic creatures) the game has kind of done a really good job of keeping them a mysterious threat that is growing more dangerous as the story progresses. The game has an antagonist but little is known about him and his motives. It's shown that the Pilgrimage party has just as much problems dealing with other humans as it does the monster hordes, in fact barring a few events here and there, humans have proven to be the bigger threat since the setting has really painted them as a more brutal and hostile society willing to do anything to survive, which again, I feel feeds into the game's theme and story better than certain other titles...