PDA

View Full Version : WHY?! WHY DO YOU SUCK SO MUCH?!? YOU'RE SO COOL LOOKING TOO!!!!!

Wolf Kanno
08-05-2016, 10:12 AM
If the title hasn't tipped you off this thread is about Pokemon you thought were going to be awesome and instead turn out to be utter trash. I'm just going to get the most infamous out of the way.

How the hell does a 50ft length giant anaconda made from out of rocks suck so bad?! Even Charmander's Ember attack can waste him since his special stat is so low. Beyond defense, he has no other great stats so what few decent abilities he can learn are totally wasted on him since he doesn't pack enough oomph for any of it to matter. I'm so disappointed with you. I'll let VGCat's Super Effective comic deal with the rest.

Fynn
08-05-2016, 10:57 AM
Goodra? I mean, it's weird, because it's not really weak, but for generation VI's pseudo-legendary to have way lower stats than the pseudo-legendaries of previous gens is kinda lame, especially since I love the design.

Galuf
08-05-2016, 11:10 AM
Umbreon. when your playing single player it doesnt work for me. i tried in Black 2 but it wasnt good.

Loony BoB
08-05-2016, 11:21 AM
I freaking love my Geodude (well, he's a Graveler now, and will inevitably become a Golem). Rock Pokémon rock. I know, I know, they suck against a bunch of things, but the things they don't suck against they basically bulldoze through fairly unscathed. I always keep 1-2 rock types whenever I am roaming the wild.

But you're absolutely right that it's stupid how weak rock Pokémon are to certain things. I mean, water? Really? Why?

I have mixed feelings regarding ghost type Pokémon, too. My Haunter is great in a lot of situations but the fact that every non-normal/fighting attack hits a ghost type strikes me as odd. Especially things like Ground and Rock... not that I want Rock to suffer any further than it already does. xD

Fynn
08-05-2016, 11:25 AM
Ghost would be hilariously broken if it nulled all contact moves.

Loony BoB
08-05-2016, 11:27 AM
Oh, absolutely, but there are some that are far more contact-based than others. Ghost attacks shouldn't do as much damage to most Pokémon as they do at the moment, for me, and I could see a Ghost type being weak to fire, electric, psychic, dark, fairy... but seeing Haunter get destroyed by Earthquake has left me rather annoyed. xD

EDIT: I don't want it to null them, but at least be "not very effective". It just doesn't make sense for a rock thrown at a ghost to do regular damage. They lose their... ghost-ish-ness.

Skyblade
08-05-2016, 02:49 PM
I freaking love my Geodude (well, he's a Graveler now, and will inevitably become a Golem). Rock Pokémon rock. I know, I know, they suck against a bunch of things, but the things they don't suck against they basically bulldoze through fairly unscathed. I always keep 1-2 rock types whenever I am roaming the wild.

But you're absolutely right that it's stupid how weak rock Pokémon are to certain things. I mean, water? Really? Why?

I have mixed feelings regarding ghost type Pokémon, too. My Haunter is great in a lot of situations but the fact that every non-normal/fighting attack hits a ghost type strikes me as odd. Especially things like Ground and Rock... not that I want Rock to suffer any further than it already does. xD

The other problem is that, even without weaknesses, the Special Defense of a lot of Rock Pokemon is so low that they get torn apart by the moves anyway.

I actually want a Mega-Golem, though. Ability: Rolling Stone - Negates Grass and Water type moves and boosts speed each time you are hit by one.

Fynn
08-05-2016, 02:57 PM
There are a lot of cool Rock types and Ground types, though. Tyranitar is a beast, and Excadrill is broken in so many ways.

Night Fury
08-05-2016, 05:58 PM
MILTANK.

WHITNEY'S MILTANK DAMN NEAR SLAYS ME EVERYTIME SO THEN I GO AND GET ONE AND IT'S TROUTE.

http://pldh.net/media/pokemon/gen3/rusa_action/241.gif

Jinx
08-05-2016, 06:01 PM
Tauros. Looks like a total BA, pretty underwhelming.

Formalhaut
08-05-2016, 06:11 PM
MILTANK.

WHITNEY'S MILTANK DAMN NEAR SLAYS ME EVERYTIME SO THEN I GO AND GET ONE AND IT'S TROUTE.

http://pldh.net/media/pokemon/gen3/rusa_action/241.gif

Smurfing rollout. It makes the otherwise mediocre Dunsparce actually pretty killer in the wild if it just spams Rollout over and over.

Wolf Kanno
08-05-2016, 07:08 PM
Ghost type being weak to fire, electric, psychic, dark, fairy... but seeing Haunter get destroyed by Earthquake has left me rather annoyed. xD

That's largely because in Gen 1 at least, the Ghost line were also Poison typing, which is extremely weak to Ground moves like Earthquake. In Pokemon Tower, you could easily capture a Cubone wandering around and effortlessly destroy everything else in the dungeon.

Also, Rock pokemon do well, rock in the games. It's just that like many types, there are good ones and bad ones. Geodude and his evolution line are pretty damn awesome and a great example of what Rock types are capable of. My issue is with Onix itself, who is absolutely sub-par. On a level to level basis, Geodude outperforms Onix in everything but Defense, which isn't saying a a whole lot when Geodude isn't that far behind in that area. Golem is not a bad choice for any party build seeking balance, but if you were to pull an Onix out, people would look at you funny.

He was a beast in the competitive scene before the Special attack/defense split, and the Hyper Beam fix. Before that, his overall great stats, STAB with Normal Moves (like Hyper Beam), and his ability to learn most of the overpowered elemental moves like Thunder, Blizzard, and Fireblast made him a versatile wrecking ball. Nowadays, he's not as good since the re-balance of the games, but it's probably for the best.

Skyblade
08-05-2016, 07:56 PM
Ghost type being weak to fire, electric, psychic, dark, fairy... but seeing Haunter get destroyed by Earthquake has left me rather annoyed. xD

That's largely because in Gen 1 at least, the Ghost line were also Poison typing, which is extremely weak to Ground moves like Earthquake. In Pokemon Tower, you could easily capture a Cubone wandering around and effortlessly destroy everything else in the dungeon.

"Easily capture a Cubone". Ha. Do you know how many years I've spent without ever seeing a single Cubone in Pokémon Tower? I'm convinced they don't actually exist there.

Also, Rock pokemon do well, rock in the games. It's just that like many types, there are good ones and bad ones. Geodude and his evolution line are pretty damn awesome and a great example of what Rock types are capable of. My issue is with Onix itself, who is absolutely sub-par. On a level to level basis, Geodude outperforms Onix in everything but Defense, which isn't saying a a whole lot when Geodude isn't that far behind in that area. Golem is not a bad choice for any party build seeking balance, but if you were to pull an Onix out, people would look at you funny.

I actually quite like Golem. In addition to being the rarest Pokémon in Gen 1 (the only Pokémon, besides Mew, that you are guaranteed to not see without trading), it's overall quite solid all the way around.

Onix, however, sucks. Massive defense, nothing else. It has far less attack than even just a Geodude, and it has the same Special Defense than Graveler (and even less attack, comparatively). I mean, I guess it's faster? But 70 Base Speed is still atrocious.

He was a beast in the competitive scene before the Special attack/defense split, and the Hyper Beam fix. Before that, his overall great stats, STAB with Normal Moves (like Hyper Beam), and his ability to learn most of the overpowered elemental moves like Thunder, Blizzard, and Fireblast made him a versatile wrecking ball. Nowadays, he's not as good since the re-balance of the games, but it's probably for the best.

Tauros is actually quite threatening, even if it's not heavily used. It has a huge array of moves that give it great coverage, and get boosted by Sheer Force. Plus a blistering 110 Base Speed and it's a quite nice little beastie.

Wolf Kanno
08-05-2016, 08:26 PM
Cubone is there my friend. I caught one rather easily and discovered to my surprise how amazing Ground types are against poor Ghost/Poison types. Even convinced me to whip out my Sandslash with Dig to make that place a cakewalk.

Denmark
08-05-2016, 09:17 PM
I want a Mega Dunsparce or a Dunsparce evolution or something because it's an I don't even know what it is (after looking it up it's apparently based on a Tsuchinoko (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsuchinoko) which fits flavorfully) but it's not really very good

also Farfetch'd because it is the only Pokemon with an apostrophe in its name

Formalhaut
08-05-2016, 09:41 PM
I want a Mega Dunsparce or a Dunsparce evolution or something because it's an I don't even know what it is (after looking it up it's apparently based on a Tsuchinoko (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsuchinoko) which fits flavorfully) but it's not really very good

What the hell even is a Tsuchinoko?

Psychotic
08-06-2016, 06:41 AM
Tauros. Looks like a total BA, pretty underwhelming.dude what Tauros was like the most powerful physical Pokemon in the game literally everyone uses it in that online battle thing

I have no idea about later gens tbf if that's what you're talking about tho

Sephiroth
08-06-2016, 07:21 PM

A mysterious snake with a big middle part and maybe or maybe not does exist, Probably not.

Fynn
08-06-2016, 10:14 PM

You realize there's a link answering your question right there?

Denmark
08-07-2016, 02:35 AM
also, play aria of sorrow and get all souls and you'll understand the plight of getting the tsuchinoko soul

Formalhaut
08-09-2016, 03:17 AM

You realize there's a link answering your question right there?

I do. :colbert:

I guess it's more of a 'that's really weird!' than a 'I'm completely blind to instructions'.

Skyblade
08-18-2016, 03:53 PM
Ash may not be "cool looking" in the traditional sense, but my GOSH he sucks far worse than one would think. Why can't he win? Why can't he even qualify to take on the Elite Four? Why does he lose any time, even in the season with some of the best writing and plot development in the series?

Fynn
08-18-2016, 03:58 PM
Ash may not be "cool looking" in the traditional sense, but my GOSH he sucks far worse than one would think. Why can't he win? Why can't he even qualify to take on the Elite Four? Why does he lose any time, even in the season with some of the best writing and plot development in the series?

Because at least one show needs to teach children that no one is special and ultimately the chance of doing something worthwhile is incredibly slim and it's important to make the best of what you have to be happy instead of making you being happy or unhappy be dependent on whether or not you achieve a specific, hardly reachable goal?

Wow, if that was intentional, Pokemon may actually be one of the most important kids' shows, like, ever!

Skyblade
08-18-2016, 04:15 PM

Because at least one show needs to teach children that no one is special and ultimately the chance of doing something worthwhile is incredibly slim and it's important to make the best of what you have to be happy instead of making you being happy or unhappy be dependent on whether or not you achieve a specific, hardly reachable goal?

Wow, if that was intentional, Pokemon may actually be one of the most important kids' shows, like, ever!

I wouldn't mind that he not reaches the goal. But, if he's going to do nothing but fail at the first step (he has to win the League to challenge the Elite Four and Champion, it's not a victory in itself), he needs to either get a new goal, or give up. He's been going at this for 20 years. There's a great lesson for kids: Waste the majority of your life on a goal that you will never attain.

He doesn't even make progress, and his losses aren't even justified. No matter how much preparation he goes in with, no matter how well built or balanced his team is, he can't hope to win. Be they need to pull a random trainer (who didn't even take part in the League opening) with two Legendaries, or by having his own mythical Ash-Greninja lose to Fire-Type moves (yes, that's what happened, his once-in-a-thousand-years Pokémon lost to Ember), he will never win.

There is no drama there. There is no hope. There is no point to going on. The status quo is the supreme deity of Pokémon. Even kids will get tired of the same thing happening every time.

Let him win the League, for once, and get trounced by the Elite Four. Let there be some growth on his journey. But, there isn't. "Try forever, you'll never get anywhere" is the message of Pokémon.

Wolf Kanno
08-18-2016, 09:35 PM
I may nominate Poochyena from Gen III as another. He's so cute and cool looking and yet, he's utterly garbage compared to everything you encounter that isn't Psychic type. Even Zagazoon, who has inferior stats, wipes the floor with this guy thanks to STAB advantage.

Fynn
08-18-2016, 09:57 PM
But Poochyena has Bite and Crunch! Those are dark type moves from Gen II onwards, and Poochyena learns them pretty early on!

Wolf Kanno
08-19-2016, 03:25 AM
It took forever to learn Bite and considering how uncommon Psychic types are usually, I doubt I'll get much use of it before I stumble upon a better Dark Type.

qwertysaur
08-19-2016, 03:36 AM

I wouldn't mind that he not reaches the goal. But, if he's going to do nothing but fail at the first step (he has to win the League to challenge the Elite Four and Champion, it's not a victory in itself), he needs to either get a new goal, or give up. He's been going at this for 20 years. There's a great lesson for kids: Waste the majority of your life on a goal that you will never attain.

He doesn't even make progress, and his losses aren't even justified. No matter how much preparation he goes in with, no matter how well built or balanced his team is, he can't hope to win. Be they need to pull a random trainer (who didn't even take part in the League opening) with two Legendaries, or by having his own mythical Ash-Greninja lose to Fire-Type moves (yes, that's what happened, his once-in-a-thousand-years Pokémon lost to Ember), he will never win.

There is no drama there. There is no hope. There is no point to going on. The status quo is the supreme deity of Pokémon. Even kids will get tired of the same thing happening every time.

Let him win the League, for once, and get trounced by the Elite Four. Let there be some growth on his journey. But, there isn't. "Try forever, you'll never get anywhere" is the message of Pokémon.
I remember he fought Agatha once, and she completely dominated their battle. :p

Depression Moon
08-19-2016, 03:56 AM
Onix is pretty bad, but I think Steelix is good, so there's that.

Madame Adequate
08-21-2016, 12:25 AM
Last time I played through Y my Steelix, Hortense, was a fucking monster who rekt faces.

Galuf
08-22-2016, 10:20 AM
yeah its safe to say Steelix is a god