PDA

View Full Version : The mystery of REDACTED

Galuf
08-06-2016, 11:50 AM
I mqy be nosy. But..

Deep down. If you look. You can see the top thread starters.

Now. He is not there. But in a quiet week. REDACTED is a name that appears. However. There are no threads...

Guys.. I think we have a ghost on our hands!

(this is just a joke. Im not serious. )

Shauna
08-06-2016, 12:42 PM
~*~there is no REDACTED~*~

theundeadhero
08-06-2016, 12:42 PM
It's a secret to everybody <_<

Psychotic
08-07-2016, 08:46 AM
You need to back off and stop asking questions. It's for your own good. You don't want to know how far this rabbithole goes.

Galuf
08-07-2016, 10:06 AM
Now that you told me to not ask questions.. I have to, by law, ask questions.

escobert
08-07-2016, 02:59 PM
Soon Galuf will have a BANNED title for unknown reasons...

Vermachtnis
08-08-2016, 06:11 AM
This looks like a job for the Ghostfacers

http://i.imgur.com/wDIWnRv.jpg

Wolf Kanno
08-08-2016, 07:06 AM
Actually, it's an interesting if really sad story story. I'm sorry if staff will be annoyed with me for talking about stuff that happened in the staff forums (being the goddamn Shin-Ra and all) but I figure this is old news anyways so it can't really hurt anyone. Shlup and Zeromus_X filled me in when I was on staff about him. REDACTED is an acronym for Fantasy Warrior Astro Boy, which was his original name back then or something. He lived Oakland California and there used to be an old picture thread with him, Shlup, and Del floating around in the backlogs, but it probably got lost after the last upgrade. I'm sure BoB has it somewhere on his hardrive.

REDACTED was a member of the forum back in the EZ Board days in the earliest incarnation of the forum. He liked Final Fantasy VIII from what I was told and wrote fanfics about Cloud and Squall teaming up and other things. Apparently the Food Forum was partially inspired by him as well cause when the forum kept asking about it, his name kept coming up about all the damn food threads he would start in General Chat. He was never as popular as say RSL Dr. Unne, or Cid himself but apparently he was one of the more memorable hyperactive posters back then. BoB says he was like that too, which is why they probably got along.

Yet when the forum upgraded to the vBulletin system, REDACTED's account apparently got deleted and so he contacted BoB (still not on staff at the time) who contacted the real staff to get him back in. Of course things were a bit different back then and it apparently kept never getting done. Finally, around 03 or 04, REDACTED finally got back in with his shortened name thanks to REDACTED hounding the staff with BoB's help of course. Then is when things get a bit sad though. It turns out REDACTED had found out he had liver cancer and was spending times in the hospital. He wanted to get back onto the forum so he could at least hang out with some friends while he was stuck at home after chemo treatments. In 05, he announced in the Eyes on Each Other forum that the cancer had spread to the surrounding tissues and so his survival rate plummeted. I don't really know when he passed away since it happened before I came to the forum, but I'm guessing early 06. Anyway, his EoEO thread was originally moved to the Farplane and then when the forum did it's last major upgrade around 2011-12 we had a lively discussion about retiring some thread from there and the subject came up which is when I got filled in with the whole story. Ultimately, his EoEO thread was among several threads that got dropped, though again,. BoB probably has them stored away somewhere since the man never let's go of anything.

Shortly afterwards, REDACTED started popping up with junk threads and posts which started to irk some of us Cid Knight's. Rantizen said it was just some technical bug from the upgrade that randomly grabbed old user profiles and would post code as a weird bug. Occasionally we would see other profiles get used to as well, but Psychotic and Del, being who they are, began saying it was the spirit of REDACTED, still trying to hang out in his favorite place. I was more with Raistlin and foa, that it was a lame April's Fool prank by BoB who would use his access to make threads under his name to freak out the staff. He was always the first to jokenly talk about REDACTED's ghost. Overall, it's just a bug in the system, but it does seem to like his account a lot, and BoB is too emotionally attached to have the profile removed, especially since it would not fix the issue and probably just jump to some other account like Devil Man or demondude, which it has before. So bug or ghost, your pick.

Galuf
08-08-2016, 10:59 AM
Damn. Things got serious...

Thank you wolf kanno. Sad storry. Sorry bout what hapoened to him. And yeah if i was bob id keep the account too.

Bubba
08-08-2016, 11:34 AM

Sephex
08-08-2016, 02:27 PM
Friends With Ass Benefits.