PDA

View Full Version : Meaning Behind Your Username

Lyndis Highwind
08-09-2016, 07:58 PM
I've been curious about this for awhile. How did you guys get your usernames?

Pumpkin
08-09-2016, 08:01 PM
I had used my go to screen name for yeeeaaarrrs and it made it hard to sign up for stuff I wanted a fresh start with. It was oddly already taken on here so I picked shion as reference to a video game character. But I didn't actually like that character, so with those two reasons combined, I needed to think of a new screen name.

So I thought of my boyfriend, who was born in October, and I thought of something that reminds me of October, which is Pumpkins. So I went with Pumpkin on here and octoberpumpkin on most other sites because Pumpkin is usually taken.

Formalhaut
08-09-2016, 08:10 PM
Well my first username is Balthier Rocks. Balthier because I really like the character, and rocks because... oh you get the picture. On reflection, it sounds terrible. Then again, I was like, 15/16, and we all made terrible choices back then.

I actually left the forums at that point and returned back in 2012. By that point, I was truly embarrassed by the name and made a new account (well, that and the old details were way past remembering). I called it Formalhaut, primarily because it sounded much nicer, is based on the star 'Fomalhaut' referencing my general interest in astronomy, as well as an indirect reference back to Balthier, the Fomalhaut being the best gun in FFXII. I really thought it through. It's also my go-to username in general, with variations depending on availability. I went with Formyldehyde once, which references my interest in the forensic sciences and police dramas.

Anyway, Loony BoB merged the two accounts together (which is pretty much the only reason why I'm 10,000+ posts) and eventually the name stuck around. It even formed several adorable nicknames, mostly Formy, but sometimes Forms. I have contemplated changing my username to just Formy but it's a terrible idea, and I prefer the longer, more official looking name.

Pike
08-09-2016, 08:31 PM
"Pikestaff" was the name of a roleplaying character I invented back in 1998 or so? I was about 14. Pikestaff was an anthropomorphic hare with a pike, hence the name.

Since then I have been Pike or "pikestaff" everywhere I go! :)

Galuf
08-09-2016, 08:33 PM
cos i like Galuf in FFV

Freya
08-09-2016, 08:36 PM
I like Freya. I used to be Lekana. I like L names and I was a teenage weaboo who thought kana was cool. I changed it to freya to distance myself from my troutty teenage years and also cause Freya is my favorite FF character.

wizzyboo
08-09-2016, 08:48 PM
wizzyboo is the name my nephew gave to vivi in ffix and since vivi is my favourite character in that game and i liked the name i decided to make that my username ( i would usually go with something to do with L from death note but i made this acc before i got really into death note)

SammieBabe
08-09-2016, 08:58 PM
Old nickname from my early twenties. :)

Cloudane
08-09-2016, 09:35 PM
Sheer lack of imagination :p

Bri
08-09-2016, 11:00 PM
I took the first letters from my first middle and last name thus Bri :)

Sephex
08-09-2016, 11:27 PM
There is none. I made it up just as something to put as my name in video games. It then carried over to my online stuff. Now I am in too deep and if I change it I am sure someone will yank off my junk and throw it down a hallway.

starlet
08-09-2016, 11:45 PM
Star is my actual middle name. Idk why I added on the let, I just did

Shauna
08-10-2016, 12:08 AM
It is my name.

Ffamran mied Bunansa
08-10-2016, 12:10 AM
If you've played FF12 (and I am assuming most of you have) I am sure you know where it came from.

Karifean
08-10-2016, 12:21 AM
You'll have to invent a time machine and ask 9-year-old me how the smurf he came up with this name.

Colonel Angus
08-10-2016, 12:32 AM
It's from an SNL skit starring Christopher Walken. He played an Old Southern Colonel who many ladies had a fondness for.

Pheesh
08-10-2016, 02:38 AM
K72GGJKst2g

TheKeybasHKey
08-10-2016, 05:08 AM
TheKeybasHKey is just one of alternative usernames on forums. The Word Keybash just comes from when i was playing Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky, that i needed an original name for the team. Later i treat it as a Kingdom Hearts related thing. That's what the H is for delete from the e to the s and you have KH.

Night Fury
08-10-2016, 06:22 AM
NIGHT FURY!!! GET DOWN!!!!

Crop
08-10-2016, 06:51 AM
The character Cropolite from TimeSplitters 2. Always used it, always will.

Galuf
08-10-2016, 09:29 AM
am literal trash who will ruin your life if you get anywhere near me

a lot of lives will be ruined in the coming days :(

Perducci
08-11-2016, 01:07 AM
This. (http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail106.html)

Sephiroth
08-11-2016, 01:18 AM
Guess.

Formalhaut
08-11-2016, 01:22 AM

i just thought you were a fan of farming

Or a fan of riding crops.

Sephex
08-11-2016, 01:40 AM

i just thought you were a fan of farming

Or a fan of riding crops.

Or cropping photos.

Denmark
08-11-2016, 03:30 AM
Denmark (Listeni/ˈdɛnmɑːrk/; Danish: Danmark [ˈd̥ænmɑɡ̊] ( listen)) is a Scandinavian country in Europe. The southernmost and smallest of the Nordic countries, it is south-west of Sweden and south of Norway,[N 9] and bordered to the south by Germany. The Kingdom of Denmark[N 10] is a sovereign state that comprises Denmark proper[N 2] and two autonomous constituent countries in the North Atlantic Ocean: the Faroe Islands and Greenland. Denmark has an area of 42,924 square kilometres (16,573 sq mi),[3] and a population of 5.7 million.[4] The country consists of a peninsula, Jutland, and an archipelago of 443 named islands,[10] of which around 70 are inhabited, with Zealand, the largest and featuring the capital and largest city Copenhagen. The islands are characterised by flat, arable land and sandy coasts, low elevation and a temperate climate.

CimminyCricket
08-11-2016, 09:37 PM
These are my favorite.

When I was in middle school I chose the name CrazyInsaneManiac as my chat name. People did not like to type that out for very long and since everyone got called Crazy at some point, my name was shorted to CIM by a lot of people. I started going as CIM, so people started stylizing it as Cim, so I started going as that and then people started calling me Cimanim to be cute and it stuck, but then people started calling me other names that were longer than that like Cimberly and CimminyCricket.

And that's how I got my nickname. People did not like how long my name was, so they shortened it and then made it long again.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
08-11-2016, 10:51 PM
I was originally IBCrayZ when I first joined. Mostly because my sister convinced me that mental disorders were cool and edgy.

At some point I was also mildly obsessed with penguins, so I became IBPengwynZ.

But one fateful day in mid August 2008, the truth about my existence came to light. I'm from a world much different from this, where pants were eaten instead of worn and other bad stuff was there.

The Last Ancient
08-16-2016, 01:34 AM
This was quite some time ago that I joined these forums. FF7 is my favorite Final Fantasy and one of my favorite games and Aeris is a special character to me. I also always liked things with "the last" in them.

escobert
08-16-2016, 01:43 AM
Which username? I've had many over the years =p

escobert came from nik0tine. I was Escobar for a while and had been Bert prior to that and together they formed that magnificent escobert which has stuck for many many years now. And, always a lowercase e for some reason. I use the name everywhere online I can.

FFNut
08-16-2016, 03:15 AM
I decided if I am joining a FF form I should think up a name to do with FF. Someone called me a Nut earlier that day so it was in my head. FFNut is the result.

Loony BoB
08-17-2016, 11:54 AM
Wow, I went to search my posts so I could copy/paste an old one and it turns out I have never replied to one of these threads since the purge of 2003.

So there are a few reasons that tie in to my username. The completed nickname of Loony BoB came together in the year of 1995.

1. When I watched Terminator 2, Arnie's Terminator was introduced by John as his "Uncle Bob" and I thought at that point that someday I want to be an Uncle Bob, so the Bob part kicked in.
2. Because my cat was already named Bob, and because of how I "signed" my nickname, I decided to spell it in text as "BoB".
3. The loony part just seemed to fit in at the time. I was a weirdo. Still am, sorta.

And yes, I am an uncle now, so... :aimsun:

qwertysaur
08-18-2016, 06:49 PM
I was really into kingdom hearts at the time and couldn't think of a username as I was signing up so I saw qwerty and stuck an xsora at the end. Later I swapped the xsora for saur which is short for ivysaur. The qwerty part stayed because Leeza wouldn't change that part. :shobon:

escobert
08-20-2016, 12:34 PM
Wow, I went to search my posts so I could copy/paste an old one and it turns out I have never replied to one of these threads since the purge of 2003.

So there are a few reasons that tie in to my username. The completed nickname of Loony BoB came together in the year of 1995.

1. When I watched Terminator 2, Arnie's Terminator was introduced by John as his "Uncle Bob" and I thought at that point that someday I want to be an Uncle Bob, so the Bob part kicked in.
2. Because my cat was already named Bob, and because of how I "signed" my nickname, I decided to spell it in text as "BoB".
3. The loony part just seemed to fit in at the time. I was a weirdo. Still am, sorta.

And yes, I am an uncle now, so... :aimsun:

You false Bob!

Mr. Carnelian
08-20-2016, 01:04 PM
carnelian
/kɑːˈniːlɪən/
noun
noun: carnelian; plural noun: carnelians; noun: cornelian; plural noun: cornelians

a semi-precious stone consisting of a dull red or reddish-white variety of chalcedony (quartz).
"carnelian beads"

a dull red colour.

I really like reddish rocks.

Mr. Carnelian is a character from one of my favourite trilogy of books, The Dancers at the End of Time.

Fynn
08-20-2016, 01:08 PM
And here I thought your name was a reference to the Carnelian Signet from FFIV!

Mr. Carnelian
08-20-2016, 01:53 PM
And here I thought your name was a reference to the Carnelian Signet from FFIV!

Ha! No, not that big of an FF nerd, I'm afraid, didn't even know there was such a thing as the Carnelian Signet.

Fynn
08-20-2016, 01:55 PM
It's a big plot point near the beginning of the game, so you wouldn't really need to be a huge nerd to remember it ;)

Just play it :stare: It's good :stare:

theundeadhero
08-20-2016, 06:43 PM
I named him theundeadhero. It means nerd in orcish.

Madame Adequate
08-21-2016, 03:52 AM
An obscure character from my favorite book series, The Culture.

Mr. Carnelian
08-21-2016, 01:36 PM
An obscure character from my favorite book series, The Culture.

Are we talking Iain M. Banks, here? Which book are they from then?

Madame Adequate
08-22-2016, 12:56 AM
Yeah, he's mentioned in Consider Phlebas as an overseer of a Planet of the Dead.

BlasterDarkRen
09-21-2016, 02:26 PM
in Cardfight Vanguard, the main antagonist for season 1 is a very strong player named Ren Suzugamori. His signature card is Blaster Dark, to contrast the main character Aichi's Blaster Blade.

Yar
09-22-2016, 09:30 PM
My name is short for my former name: Yarlanda Harris

Loony BoB
09-22-2016, 09:36 PM
Also, he's a pirate.

Aulayna
09-23-2016, 10:35 AM
Has no meaning really, was just a name I came up with for one of my characters in an MMORPG when all the names I wanted were taken. It's just kinda stuck since then.

Bubba
09-23-2016, 03:13 PM
Well my first username is Balthier Rocks. Balthier because I really like the character, and rocks because... oh you get the picture. On reflection, it sounds terrible. Then again, I was like, 15/16, and we all made terrible choices back then.

Balthier Rocks sounds like a coastal village in Ireland :p

I was originally Bubbaforever. Bubba was the name of the wonderful male chocobo from FFVII that helped produce my first Gold chocobo. I then changed to Ramisese Rabubba the Third before it irritated the hell out of everyone so I then reverted to simply Bubba.

Technically, I was Jordan Henderson for a while too but that name was not of my choosing. Damn you, Psychotic :argh:

Formalhaut
09-23-2016, 09:37 PM
Technically, I was Jordan Henderson for a while too but that name was not of my choosing. Damn you, Psychotic :argh:

There's a story there somewhere. Why Jordan Henderson?

Night Fury
09-24-2016, 08:26 AM

I have also received a Psychotic name change, there was an avatar too! Gilderoy Lockharted.

Vasher
09-29-2016, 10:13 AM
"Vasher" stems from "Vash", which was taken when I joined. "Vash the Stampede" is the main character of the anime "Trigun". He is also known as the "$60,000,000,000.00 Man" (the bounty on his head), making him the most wanted man in the universe.

Relevance, my friends had a ton of "nicknames" for me (referring to all females being attracted to me, like "The Magnet"). I had a buddy that I watched a lot of anime with, dubbed me "Vash, the most wanted man in the universe" (meaning every girl wants me). Once other people heard it and learned of it's meaning, it stuck (along with the other "Nick's"). I had been dabbling in hacking, Vash's "luck" in difficult situations seemed appropriate, so it was adopted as a "hacker tag", and later the moniker for my online presence.

Bubba
09-29-2016, 08:53 PM

There's a story there somewhere. Why Jordan Henderson?

It was during a summer tournament in which England were involved. I think Liverpool had more than two players in the squad (rare, I know) so Psychotic changed a few of our names to those players.

The guy is hilarious. Oh how we laughed.

ttokkii
10-02-2016, 11:46 PM
Uh well I have this ongoing "nickname" I guess, as bunny. I can't remember how I came across it but "Tokki" is rabbit in Korean. I thought it sounded cute, but most places (like steam, social media etc) the username was taken so it's just a variation on spelling. It's ttokkii for pretty much everything now I think.

Mirage
10-03-2016, 12:12 AM
If the registered "Tokki" is a 0-post abandoned account, perhaps some arrangements could be made.

Christmas
12-03-2016, 05:33 AM
It actually means I am the chosen one and I am destined to defeat the sith and bring balance to the force. :bigsmile:

But most of the time, it means I am the owner of ten brothels, twelve gambling dens and one childcare center across the street where murder is legalized. :bigsmile: