PDA

View Full Version : Least Favourite Word

Formalhaut
08-25-2016, 01:05 AM
Ooh, this is fun. So the Oxford Dictionaries are doing a large global effort to find the least favourite word (https://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/aug/25/negative-campaign-votes-sought-for-most-disliked-english-word) in the English language. Currently in the United Kingdom, 'moist' takes the first spot, which also occupies the No.1 position in Australia and the United States.

I had a go and entered 'rural'. Because seriously, just try to say it. Any attempt I make sort of sounds like mild growling because of the 'rur' sound, like a dog making an angry sound. Though I've got to admit, 'moist' is also a good one.

Are there any words you dislike? For whatever reason? You can also add your word here (http://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/one-word-map/#).

Madame Adequate
08-25-2016, 01:41 AM
Nosh. Don't know why, but it bugs the hell out of me.

Shauna
08-25-2016, 08:33 AM
the rural juror

And I dunno I don't really care that much.

Pumpkin
08-25-2016, 03:27 PM
Y'all.

I dunno, it reminds me how far away from home I am and I HATE that I often hear things like All of y'all (???) and when one person is addressed as y'all (?????).

Just bugs me.

Lyndis Highwind
08-25-2016, 04:53 PM
"Aurora". Like "rural", it's hard to say without sounding silly.

FFNut
08-25-2016, 09:55 PM
Aloha now that I am hearing nonstop with the new Pokemon game coming out is getting fairly high on my list.

Spuuky
08-25-2016, 10:47 PM
Whinge

Vermachtnis
08-26-2016, 12:16 AM
Cringe, damn internet ruining everything.

Galuf
08-26-2016, 01:00 AM
Sorry

because then I am sorry for saying sorry and sorry for saying sorry for saying sorry. And then sorry for saying sorry for saying sorry to sorry who what. Yeah idk.

see the problem. Stupid sorry

Denmark
08-26-2016, 04:24 AM
Y'all.

I dunno, it reminds me how far away from home I am and I HATE that I often hear things like All of y'all (???) and when one person is addressed as y'all (?????).

Just bugs me.

y'all is singular, all y'all is plural. pretty simple

My blog contains festering moist maggots which secrete viscous mucus out of their many dripping orifices (http://thoughtcatalog.com/nico-lang/2013/09/moist-and-28-other-gross-sounding-english-words-that-everyone-hates/)

Formalhaut
08-28-2016, 01:26 PM
Update (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/moist-most-hated-word-in-english-language_us_57befc90e4b085c1ff27f0d6?section=&section=us_religion):

Turns out people love to ruin things. The Oxford Dictionaries has suspended their most hated word survey after it was being used to apparently spread Islamophobia. :roll2

blackmage_nuke
08-28-2016, 02:06 PM
I do kind of hate how some people shout out Aluh Akbar as a meme now.

Colonel Angus
08-29-2016, 12:16 AM
I do kind of hate how some people shout out Aluh Akbar as a meme now.
It's a trap!

sharkythesharkdogg
08-29-2016, 05:12 PM
Y'all.

Just bugs me.

y'all is singular, all y'all is plural. pretty simple

Originally, it obviously stood for "you all" since English doesn't really have something like "Vosotros", etc.

That's why y'all itself doesn't bother me. It's a contraction to create the same conjugate (or whatever it would be called) as some other languages already have.

But yes, "All of you all" is a bit redundant and referring to one person as "you all" is a bit silly. I always chuckle. However, if y'all is used "correctly" then it doesn't really bother me.

charliepanayi
08-29-2016, 05:46 PM
Soulmate

maybee
08-29-2016, 06:50 PM
Moist.

eww.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
08-30-2016, 12:28 AM
Literally

The word is fine when it's used correctly. But there's a portion of the Internet, particularly the tumblr crowd, that like to shoehorn it into every sentence.

"I literally actually can't."
"I'm literally at band practice right now."
"X person who disagrees with me politically is literally Hitler."

Give me a break.

Vasher
09-29-2016, 12:57 PM
Actually, Basically, and Supposedly.

The "ignoramaces" in Southern CA use these in an attempt to appear "intellectual" (fuqing shoot me). "Achooly, I'm basicly trying to get the stuff thats supposably sposed to be here already". Trying to convey their pronunciation/"Idiocracy". Yes, it's that painful. Judge can see the future.

Bubba
09-29-2016, 02:58 PM
Aguero.

Especially when pronounced with fervour and additional 'o's at the end... and spoken by Martin Tyler.