PDA

View Full Version : Toughest game you ever conquered

FFNut
08-30-2016, 05:51 PM
Like the title suggest. Whatgame did you play that was tough, but you stuck it out and in the end achieved victory? Was it a Contra Game? Was it a fighter? Which was it.

For or me it was the 7th Saga. The game is rediculiously challenging in the fact you face off against random other adventurers who will always be a few levels up on you, and grinding up to match makes them even tougher.

Fynn
08-30-2016, 06:34 PM
Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey. Officially the toughest MegaTen game ever, and MegaTen overall is just notorious for its difficulty. So that's saying a lot.

Raebus
08-30-2016, 06:38 PM
Super Meat Boy is still one of the tougher games I've played but not the point where it isn't fun anymore. I go back to it occasionally when theirs nothing else to play.

Vermachtnis
08-30-2016, 06:54 PM
Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey. Officially the toughest MegaTen game ever, and MegaTen overall is just notorious for its difficulty. So that's saying a lot.

Is it? I guess that's mine too. Or Catherine, some of the puzzles.

Karifean
08-30-2016, 07:47 PM
Toss-up between Touhou 7: Perfect Cherry Blossom and Kaizo Mario World. I'd say the latter is harder but the former was infinitely more fun and when it comes to 'conquering' a game I really conquered that one (I still casually beat Yukari for fun sometimes when I feel like it) while with Kaizo I just barely made it through somehow and I don't plan on ever playing it again... at least not without savestates. Also it feels better to say I've conquered the superboss who canonically has the most ridiculous superpower imaginable (http://powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Boundary_Manipulation).

FFNut
08-30-2016, 08:04 PM
Just thought of Disney's the Jungle Book SNES edition. That was a very difficult game too that most gave up on.

Vyk
08-31-2016, 04:08 AM
At first I was thinking "Is Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 really all I have to offer?" But the opening comment mentions fighting games, and I've beaten all the Soul Blade/Calibur games on their hardest difficulties up to SC4. I guess not everyone can do that. But it's not really anything special to brag about either

I am a couple of steps away from 100%'ing Hyper Light Drifter, and some of the challenges in that game are borderline ridiculous (Here's looking at you, Horde rooms)

Lyndis Highwind
08-31-2016, 07:07 AM
Phantom Dust and Golden Sun would have to my toughest games. I was always getting hopelessly lost in Golden Sun, but somehow I pulled through and finished it. Phantom Dust was just really hard. There weren't any puzzles or anything, just some of the missions were incredibly hard.

Loony BoB
08-31-2016, 11:28 AM
I'm starting to wonder if I've ever actually bothered to beat a genuinely tricky game in my life... I've done the top difficulty for various Uncharted games. Uhm... yeah, genuinely unsure I've done anything I'd treat as insanely hard.

Old Manus
08-31-2016, 11:33 AM
I remember being pretty made up that I completed the original Driver on PS1. The car park at the start of the game is probably the hardest tutorial level of all time.

Peter1986
08-31-2016, 11:40 AM
I would say "Ghosts'n Goblins", "Ninja Gaiden", "Silver Surfer" and "BattleToads" for the NES.
I have actually beaten all those games legit several times, although that obviously took quite a while.

My current challenge is to beat the Japanese version of "Ghosts'n Goblins" for the Famicom, which doesn't even have any Continues.
Yes, there is a button code for that, but a lot of players probably wouldn't find out about that.

Loony BoB
08-31-2016, 11:59 AM
I remember being pretty made up that I completed the original Driver on PS1. The car park at the start of the game is probably the hardest tutorial level of all time.
Oh! I think I beat that game! That game was great fun. I can't remember much about it besides that though. xD

FFNut
08-31-2016, 02:10 PM
Oh! I think I beat that game! That game was great fun. I can't remember much about it besides that though. xD

I remeber alway putting in the code for the big shock and wheels and jumping try to land it.

DMKA
09-01-2016, 10:15 PM
https://s13.postimg.org/tw95rv3tz/Super_Ghouls_n_Ghosts_SNES_Box_18910_1413076490.png

FFNut
09-01-2016, 10:30 PM
https://s13.postimg.org/tw95rv3tz/Super_Ghouls_n_Ghosts_SNES_Box_18910_1413076490.png

You beat that? Mad props!

DMKA
09-02-2016, 04:12 AM
You beat that? Mad props!

Heh, thanks. I don't know if it's the hardest game I've ever played, but it's definitely the hardest I've ever beaten.

Galuf
09-02-2016, 02:09 PM
ehhhh so far probably Dark Souls or FF3 Nes.

Necronopticous
09-04-2016, 12:54 AM
https://alt.org/nethack/userdata/N/Necronopticous/dumplog/1306046295.nh343.txt

Necronopticous, lawful female dwarven Valkyrie

A A
---------
|.......|@
----- @ |.......| -----
...| |.@@@...| |...
---------..-- |...`...|@ --%%---------
|....%..|%.%-- |...`...| --.%.|.%.....|
|....%..|....--- ----*---- A ---%...|.......|
|..._...%*...`$`*%* A ..a.V @ *-.```%%%%._...|
|.....`.|.%%.--- `` .....a... $ ---%%%%|.......|
|.......|...-- ` -----@----- `% --.%%|.......|
---------..-- --|-- @ @ --|-- --..---------
....| ----- ---- |...
------ 3 -----
-----` - -- ----
| ` -- -- |
- ----|---- -

-----------

Necronopti the Swashbuckler St:25 Dx:20 Co:20 In:14 Wi:14 Ch:12 Lawful S:1568210
Astral Plane $:0 HP:233(233) Pw:23(23) AC:-10 Xp:19/2594555 T:52497

You offer the Amulet of Yendor to Tyr...
An invisible choir sings, and you are bathed in radiance...
The voice of Tyr rings out: "Congratulations, mortal!"
"In return for thy service, I grant thee the gift of Immortality!"
You ascend to the status of Demigoddess...

Voluntary challenges
You were an atheist
You were illiterate

Bubba
09-05-2016, 04:05 PM
I'm on board the 'completed Super Ghouls 'N' Ghosts' train with DMKA. Played the hell out of that game in my youth.

It's either that or this bad boy on Hard mode...

Wolf Kanno
09-05-2016, 07:44 PM
The only one that comes to mind in recent memory is Zelda II: The Adventures of Link which is pretty nasty. I also did beat the original Contra once, but I'm also pretty sure it involved a second player and the Konami code as well, so not sure if it really counts.

Pumpkin
09-06-2016, 03:09 PM
La Pucelle Tactics probably.

I'm not one for difficult games

sharkythesharkdogg
09-06-2016, 04:27 PM
I'm on board the 'completed Super Ghouls 'N' Ghosts' train with DMKA. Played the hell out of that game in my youth.

It's either that or this bad boy on Hard mode...

I used to be able to beat hard mode with out a single death like it was nothing. I played that game way too much.

Bubba
09-06-2016, 05:00 PM
I would love to see a run of that. Very impressive!

I remember getting to the penultimate boss on normal mode without losing a single life. This guy...

The bastard clipped me though. I still end up losing loads on the last boss regardless.

theundeadhero
09-12-2016, 03:47 AM
I can't decide between three things normally considered hard.

NES Battletoads. It took me years and years to beat it.
NES Contra without dying.
NES Ninja Gaiden so many times the game became easy. Never without dying, but I could make it to the end when you fight three bosses in a row. I could kill the first two, then die to the last, go back to it, and beat it.

Props for Castlevania 1 on NES?

Galuf
09-12-2016, 08:09 AM
The game itself isnt hqrd.

but I beat dead space 1 on hard (the hardest you get before you beat the game. I think its the same difficulty as the hardest but you dont havevlimited saves.)
With just the starting gun. I did in a day. Was pretty hard. Easily the hardest thing I have done in a game

Pike
09-12-2016, 10:30 AM
A lot of people tell me that The Lion King for SNES is difficult but I could bang that sucker out 100%, all the bonuses and everything, in under an hour when I was 10 years old. I dunno if that's an achievement or not, but hey.

Skyblade
09-12-2016, 11:21 AM
Probably the original Metroid.

I don't tend to play hard games a lot.

Now, hard BOSSES. That's another question.