PDA

View Full Version : You have just been given a million dollars to spend on video games with a catch.

FFNut
08-31-2016, 04:08 PM
So you have just been given a million dollars to spend on video games. However, there is a catch. You must spend it in 24 hours or lose it all. How do you spend it? Do you go after every rare game to make the ultimate gaming collection? ...or do you invest it in a company like SquareEnix to help speed up production? Do you start your own company and buy the software needed to create your own games? Or... Do you fund an indie game that you think will be the next great? How do you spend that money?

Galuf
08-31-2016, 04:28 PM
Ill buy so much games to make 563.7 mansions made out of game boxes and discs and cartridges etc.

and.. ill build a statue of quina outside all 563.7 mansions

sharkythesharkdogg
08-31-2016, 07:35 PM
Just one video games or things related to video games?

If it's the later, I'd build a public access arcade and tell the government it was an interactive museum of digital entertainment technologies.

With any luck I could stock it full of really classic cabinets all the way up to some of the modern stuff, and use the tax breaks combined with donations to help keep it running.

Mr. Carnelian
08-31-2016, 07:39 PM
Buy all of the games, then immediately sell all the ones I don't want. Probably at least 98% of them. Have oodles of money which I can now spend on anything I want. Buy a house in cash. Have hundreds of thousands of pounds left over. Live the good life.

Madame Adequate
08-31-2016, 08:27 PM
I buy every single console I can find on amazon, ebay, whatever, buy a troutload of old authentic arcade cabinets, and every accessory and game I can find for everything.

I'd probably throw a decent chunk at some indie games on Kickstarter as well, upgrade my Tides of Numenera pledge and stuff.

e; oh and I'd buy a couple of really really hi-end bleeding edge PCs as well for me and Pike

Lone Wolf Leonhart
09-01-2016, 05:10 AM
If I were to get a million dollars worth of video game memorabilia, I just don't think I could put in the time or energy to appreciate the collection like it deserves.

I would invest it all into this indie game called Lost Soul Aside. I'll put a trailer below. One man made this game by himself with Unreal Engine 4 over a few years time. I highly recommend viewing it. It has a nice Devil May Cry meets Final Fantasy sort of feel to me.

z5El-yYNUwU

Pumpkin
09-01-2016, 02:53 PM
I would buy some more gaming shelves, all of the games on my wishlist, buy some more consoles, buy sharky the games he wants, maybe some knick knacks, and fund some projects. That wouldn't be near the million dollars but I'm okay with that.

Fynn
09-01-2016, 03:09 PM
Aside from the logical step of buying every platform and every game I want, and funding interesting projects, I'd invest in some equipment that would allow me to make video game music :p

Karifean
09-01-2016, 07:20 PM
I'd start with buying every game I ever pirated. It hardly rights the wrong but well, it gives me peace of mind. Then I'll buy every game console. Then I'll buy every VN I'm interested in, and if it counts, I'd hire a good private tutor that helps me learn to read Japanese so I can actually read those novels. Then I donate the rest to 07th Expansion and/or buy a dozen copies of every localized VN I like or something.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
09-04-2016, 05:00 AM
Don't forget:

You must spend it in 24 hours or lose it all.

Vincent, Thunder God
09-04-2016, 08:25 AM
Donate it to Shenmue III's development.

Mirage
09-04-2016, 07:45 PM
Building an arcade sounds like a good idea, but I couldn't manage to plan and buy everything for that in just one day.

I'd probably spend it on uh... the most insane gaming room money could buy. I'm sure I could manage to spend it all, considering there are TVs today that cost as much as a tesla model s.

I could probably afford to give amazing gaming PCs to everyone i care about.

Bubba
09-05-2016, 01:54 PM
OK, so I've spent the past week solely coming up with my list for this. I've worked it out to the penny and it totals exactly $1M. Brexit exchange rates have really screwed me over though. Anyway, here is my final list...

I didn't really do this, are you freakin' crazy? I'd just do what Mr Carnelian did.

Formalhaut
09-05-2016, 02:13 PM
OK, so I've spent the past week solely coming up with my list for this. I've worked it out to the penny and it totals exactly $1M. Brexit exchange rates have really screwed me over though. Anyway, here is my final list...

I didn't really do this, are you freakin' crazy? I'd just do what Mr Carnelian did.

It took you a week to come up with "what he said?" :eyebrow:

Slothy
09-05-2016, 02:18 PM
Buy all of the games, then immediately sell all the ones I don't want. Probably at least 98% of them. Have oodles of money which I can now spend on anything I want. Buy a house in cash. Have hundreds of thousands of pounds left over. Live the good life.

you know, if you had the time to be smart about it you could take advantage of the collector market, drive the supply of rare games down by buying all that you find, then sell them gradually at inflated prices and make money.

fire_of_avalon
09-06-2016, 03:52 AM

you know, if you had the time to be smart about it you could take advantage of the collector market, drive the supply of rare games down by buying all that you find, then sell them gradually at inflated prices and make money.

This is exactly what I'd do, then invest my earnings.

Loony BoB
09-08-2016, 10:03 PM

This was my first thought, yeah.

But seriously, I don't know that there are games expensive enough for me to be able to spend 1m in a day. If you can't include payments for a house big enough to actually fit an awesome gaming room, then I'm not gonna fit all that in my tiny flat at all. Not even close. So basically I'd end up having to donate whatever I have left after my initial purchases to Child's Play.

I mean, I legit am not sure I could actually go through that many purchases on various sites/shops in a single day. It'd be so crappy.

If I'm allowed to buy a sweet house to put all my games and gaming stuff inside, then I would absolutely buy a sweet house first, buy some awesome amazing PC rigs and large numbers of monitors, TVs, consoles and controllers, couches and chairs, and basically make a place that just screams "everyone come over to my place we will game all day everyday". And then I can either rent it out or I can actually make use of it.

Leftover cash, again, Child's Play for sure.

Iceglow
09-08-2016, 10:38 PM
I'll give you the easiest way to spend this money and not lose it:

If you own a house, this is easier, if you own land with the rights to develop on it even better. If you have a den building on your land then fantastic. If not, you could run in to some troubles but it could be done:

Build the ultimate gaming den, in your home, if you have the land with the option to develop on it, simply paying for the development of your den would eat up hundreds and hundreds of thousands of pounds. Sure the "den" wouldn't be finished before the 24 hours, but if you pay for it you're sorted the rule said spend the money, not that I couldn't spend it on shit that will take me time to get done. You want super fast fibre connections? Sure have them piped in for another 20 - 50 grand, build that super powerful PC you dreamed of, get the best TV you can find, a PS4, Xbox 1 and hire some dudes on minimum wage to make the purchases for digital content you want on them because heaven knows you have the cash for it. Kit that den out in the most luxurious seating/flooring/desk you want. have hard-drives installed in the walls go fucking nuts.

If after doing all that, you still have money left over, you could probably buy the rights to some smaller studios that are developing interesting things, or you could simply blast ten thousand pound a time on various kickstarter game campaigns that you like, twitch streamers or whatever, you go fucking crazy and spend spend spend.

If you can't spend a million quid doing that, then you're doing it wrong.