PDA

View Full Version : What is one game you were excited for that ended up being a flop?

FFNut
09-05-2016, 04:12 PM
Like the title suggests. What's a game you really wanted, read everything about, bought it, then went ehhh?

I li have a few on the list, but the top one would be Final Fantasy XIII. I really wanted to know as much as possible, only to hate every moment playing it. It really ended up being a game of attrition to play for me.

Another game that just never lived up to what I hoped for was Mass Effect. It just wasn't what I hoped it would be.

Bubba
09-05-2016, 04:51 PM
Skyrim and Fallout 4.

Galuf
09-05-2016, 05:08 PM
Halo 5 for sure. Fo4 was kinda dissapointing.

Fynn
09-05-2016, 05:30 PM
The entire Ace Attorney series

Karifean
09-05-2016, 05:35 PM
Zero Time Dilemma... kinda? It was a good game while it lasted but then it ends and you just feel like there's so many loose ends left open in the Zero Escape series and a large number of questions had a totally anti-climactic resolution. It's good on its own, but as the definitive conclusion to the series it leaves a lot to be desired.

Also it had the bad habit of crashing my computer a lot.

Peter1986
09-05-2016, 05:38 PM
Daikatana for the N64 - probably the biggest flop of all time relative to the preceding hype.

By the way, I always thought that the portrait of the dude in that game looked a lot like Leonardo DiCaprio.

Wolf Kanno
09-05-2016, 07:39 PM
FFVII and FFX are probably the two biggest ones for me. MGS4 was also rather disappointing. Games that kind of had a bad rep but I was really excited for them anyway only to join the crowd later was Fallout 3 and Assassin's Creed.

Mr. Carnelian
09-05-2016, 08:32 PM

:onoes:

For me, Tomb Raider (the reboot one). It definitely wasn't a BAD game. Solid 6/10. But it was still a big disappointment.

Fynn
09-05-2016, 08:49 PM

:onoes:

I really wanted to like this game after Ghost Trick. And I didn't. I wanted to like every subsequent game and it always felt sub-par. I really don't get how this is so popular. It's inoffensive enough and everything, but I just can't wrap my head around why this series is so loved. The God-awful puns didn't help matters.

Elly
09-06-2016, 02:13 AM
Final Fantasy IX... i really wanted to like it after 3 great entries like VI, VII & VIII... unfortunately i didn't like a lot of it's systems, it may have a good story but i hated how it handled things like skills, you can learn skills all day long but you can't use but only a few at a time, lame... i loved desperation attacks (FF VI & VIII) and Limit Breaks ( FF VII & later X), but trance was absolutely horrible and pointless when it activates by the end of battle when everything on the field is dead or one hit away from it, completely wasting the Trance gauge... and Tetra master was awful, the numbers on the cards don't even matter, why have numbers at all when victory is decided purely by chance... that game really needs a remake to fix all those problems...

DMKA
09-06-2016, 04:06 AM
The Order: 1886. I really thought the game looked awesome and I loved the setting and ideas behind it, only for it to be an absolutely gorgeous technological marvel of a mess.

Final Fantasy Type-0 also falls into this category for me. I heard so many great things about it for years, and how we were missing out on the best FF game in years here in the English-speaking world, only for us to finally get it and well...lets just say if I listed every Final Fantasy game I've finished from most to least favorite, it'd be at the very bottom.

Oh, and Watch_Dogs is another one. By no means a bad game but man it looked so much cooler and innovative than it ended up being.

But aside of those I suppose I've been fortunate. The overwhelming majority of games I've ever gotten all hyped for and look forward to ended up meeting or exceeding my expectations.

Vyk
09-06-2016, 04:25 AM
The Technomancer. Good lord did I want to like that game. It sounded cool. It looked cool. It played like Baby's First Unity Game, and the story was just some garbage Mass Effect fanfiction. The dialog was stiff and awkward, and not delivered very well. There was this flair that we were just supposed to feel things and accept things, but without a worthwhile delivery it didn't stick. It didn't matter. It was all just awkward and jank. And it's one of the only games I've ever returned for a refund... Which I kinda feel bad about. The studio isn't big. And they try hard. They tried real hard. They just ... don't know what they're doing. They need help

It wasn't even Deadly Premonition bad. It was just ... not good

The only other game I can think of, is also the last game I returned to the store, though much later. And more like a trade-in. But trading in and refunding a game is exceedingly rare for me. And that other game was Soul Calibur 4

A massive step back for the series, and a trend that they kept going for Soul Calibur 5, which I completely skipped out on. But that wasn't disappointing. That was expected. But after how awesome SC3 was, I was blown away at how horribly lacking SC4 was in content, and how big of a step back it was on design. The only option was to fight through some 100-level tower and perform challenges. They were seriously asleep at the wheel on that design

Pete for President
09-06-2016, 08:31 AM
Dark Souls 2... It never had a chance after the masterpiece that was the first.

Pike
09-06-2016, 10:25 AM
FFXII, good lord I was so hyped and it was such a letdown for me that it killed my interest in FF for like a solid three years.

At least it had Gideon Emery and a good soundtrack I guess.

Mirage
09-06-2016, 10:34 AM
FF13, but simply not liking it isn't what defines a flop. It was very much not a flop with like 7 million sales.

Vermachtnis
09-06-2016, 10:59 AM
Blue Dragon, it was like the only jRPG on the 360. It had a job based system and a five man party. And character designs by Akira Toriyama. All good in my book. Finally got to play it and it was all kind of meh. At least the boss theme was awesome.

Pumpkin
09-06-2016, 03:08 PM
Not commercially flops but games I was excited for that I either didn't like or was mehh on.

Chrono Cross
Super Mario RPG
Ace Attorney
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy Type-0 (so far)
Skyrim

Galuf
09-06-2016, 05:18 PM
Gonna add tp type-0.

great greaaat main theme. And battle and boss themes.

horrible boring game which is shit story. I heard its better on ng+ but who has time for that shit

Ultima Shadow
09-10-2016, 09:49 AM
Star Ocean 4.

Loved 2 and 3, but... SO4 is just....... ughhhhhhhhh.....

Mirage
09-11-2016, 02:54 AM
Agreed.

Jinx
09-11-2016, 03:21 AM
ffxii fynn come at me

Pheesh
09-11-2016, 04:58 AM
The Division. I mean, I really enjoyed it for a solid month or so, but the end game was almost non-existent, and it did not hold my interest at all.

Big D
09-11-2016, 06:19 AM
Skyrim and Fallout 4.Skyrim was my first foray into the Elder Scrolls series, and it's ended up being one of my biggest and best gaming experiences ever. It's neat how one title can affect different people in such completely different ways.

As for disappointments, though... I was really looking forward to The Lord of the Rings: The Third Age. The concept was great: an RPG focusing on a bunch of random background nobodies who are caught up in the events of the LotR film adaptations, taking place in locations from throughout the stories and with a varied cast comprised of various Middle-Earth races. It ended up looking really good, as PS2 titles go, but other than that it was a massive disappointment. Very short, almost completely linear with no room for exploration, and not even any inhabited towns or villages to traverse. The combat worked well enough, but only because it was a complete copy/paste of FFX's conditional time battle system, right down to the layout of icons on the screen.

If this game had been done right, it would've been huge. And fantastic. Instead, it just felt like a shameless rush-job and cash-in. Then again, I didn't know about EA's recent reputation before then.