PDA

View Full Version : How do you keep your place...?

Colonel Angus
09-11-2016, 05:01 PM
...When you read a book? Do you dog ear your pages? Do you use a bookmark? Do you use something else to hold the place?

Formalhaut
09-11-2016, 05:10 PM
DOG EARS. :mad2:

Galuf
09-11-2016, 05:20 PM
on the rare occasion i need to keep a page, i use whatevers at hand.
havent read a book in so so long

FFNut
09-11-2016, 05:24 PM
I'm guilty of the dog ear

Pheesh
09-11-2016, 05:25 PM
I keep it open to the page and face down on a table. Bad for the book but it's an old habit.

Fynn
09-11-2016, 05:28 PM
Always a bookmark! I have one that I use all the time and it has this artwork on it:

http://statici.behindthevoiceactors.com/behindthevoiceactors/_img/games/game_41.jpg

Mr. Carnelian
09-11-2016, 08:04 PM
I just memorise the page number. I don't always remember it exactly right when I get back to the book a day or more later, but close enough to find my place and pick up where I left off.

Psychotic
09-11-2016, 08:09 PM
As a kid I used to dog ear the fuck out of my books but now I just memorise the page number.

Pumpkin
09-12-2016, 02:15 AM
Sometimes bookmark but usually remember

Colonel Angus
09-12-2016, 02:19 AM
I tend to use business cards that I have laying around. I used to use the receipt from when I bought the book, but w/ online shopping that's a thing of the past. :lol:

Sephex
09-13-2016, 01:25 AM
I voted flat item, but I actually just try to remember. I don't know why I just didn't vote for the right option for me.

This is awkward...

*leaves thread*

Iceglow
09-14-2016, 07:45 PM
I remember down to the word usually exactly where I am. However, I'm not going to deny that sometimes, I pick the book up and realise I've read some paragraphs/pages when I'm so tired I can't even absorb it. So I'll scan over a few paragraphs if I feel like that has happened.

These days however, most of my book reading is on a kindle. As such the kindle does most of the hard work for me.

Loony BoB
09-14-2016, 08:47 PM
Any random thing that works. Otherwise I'll just remember it later after scanning a few pages.

Crop
09-15-2016, 08:27 PM
I have no respect for those who dog ear books.

I just use a small folded piece of paper.

qwertysaur
09-16-2016, 03:53 AM
For my textbooks I have about 20 lesson plan pieces in then pointing out problems that I like and want to teach. For my own classes I have my little colored arrows that point to proofs I need to memorize and use. It looks like a mess. As for leisure reading I remember where I was. :p

Aulayna
09-21-2016, 11:28 AM
I dog ear and bookmark, just incase one fails (usually the bookmark falling out)

Fox
09-21-2016, 01:16 PM
Never heard it called a 'dog ear' before! But yeah, if it's a book that I own I'll fold the page. If it's someone else's, I'll use some form of bookmark. Usually that ends up being an old train ticket that I still have lying around ^^

Madame Adequate
09-23-2016, 01:59 PM
I remember the page number, line, and word I was on.

Bubba
09-23-2016, 03:35 PM
I don't dog ear, use bookmarks or remember my place. I just start again from scratch the next time.

Formalhaut
09-23-2016, 09:39 PM
I don't tend to stop mid-sentence and usually stop at the end of chapter or paragraph, so even if I'm left without a bookmark, I can generally follow where I am based on chapter and paragraph. God help me if a book has huge chapters or no identifiable chapter/section running throughout.

Calliope
09-24-2016, 04:47 AM
I use a bookmark.

I work in a library, and holy fuck will people return books with any old thing as a bookmark! I have found birth certificates, legal documents, medical documents, credit cards, photos, money, a creepy business card that someone wrote 'I'm going to love you to death' on, CDs/DVDs, keys, photo ID, USB drives, and sanitary pads all used as bookmarks in library books...basically if it fits between pages, people will forget and return it that way. If it looks important, we will try and get the item back to the owner. I hate it when people write the due date on the bookplate, or markup the pages, that's just inconsiderate.

On that note, here are some items I've found returned in the bookdrop: Money, used syringes, a live mouse, a huge bag of weed, loads of books that belong to other libraries, clothing, etc. I wonder what will be waiting for me tomorrow X_x;;;

Big D
09-24-2016, 02:35 PM
I use a bookmark.

I work in a library, and holy smurf will people return books with any old thing as a bookmark! I have found birth certificates, legal documents, medical documents, credit cards, photos, money, a creepy business card that someone wrote 'I'm going to love you to death' on, CDs/DVDs, keys, photo ID, USB drives, and sanitary pads all used as bookmarks in library books...basically if it fits between pages, people will forget and return it that way. If it looks important, we will try and get the item back to the owner. I hate it when people write the due date on the bookplate, or markup the pages, that's just inconsiderate.

On that note, here are some items I've found returned in the bookdrop: Money, used syringes, a live mouse, a huge bag of weed, loads of books that belong to other libraries, clothing, etc. I wonder what will be waiting for me tomorrow X_x;;;I have literally nothing that can compare to this. Though I've found oddities ranging from pressed flowers to appalling racist graffiti in books I checked out at my university library, even though uni is meant to be where the ostensibly smart people go. The pressed flower was nice, of course, though I left it there in the hope that it might brighten someone else's day in future.

I'm a profilic user of supermarket receipts as bookmarks. They're very thin, smooth paper so they're well-suited. They don't mess up your pages and they're endlessly disposable and replaceable. Also, I once had a flatmate with two young kittens who were entirely adorable. One of them loved to bite bookmarks and pull them out of books to stash in his "hidden" stockpile of toys - under my bed - which included cotton reels, cardboard tubes and scraps of leather, wool and cloth. Using receipts as bookmarks just made sense under those circumstances since they were guaranteed to get stolen and adorably chewed before long.

escobert
09-24-2016, 03:58 PM
Normally I use a book mark. But, if I can't find one I use a Magic: The Gathering Basic Land.

Calliope
09-24-2016, 08:50 PM
Today I found that someone had used a sealed-in-package morning after pill as a bookmark...someone is not having a good day...