PDA

View Full Version : Best Video Game Rivals?

Pumpkin
09-15-2016, 03:21 PM
Who are your favourite gaming rivals out there? Not enemies, per se, but actual rivals whether it be between bad guy and good guy, or two friends, or two bad guys or whatever.

Fynn
09-15-2016, 03:22 PM
I really liked Cheren and Bianca in Pokemon Black and White!

Bubba
09-15-2016, 03:31 PM
Billy and Jimmy Lee.

Karifean
09-15-2016, 05:12 PM
Battler and Beato in Umineko, definitely.

FFNut
09-15-2016, 05:33 PM
Biggs and Wedge!

Pumpkin
09-15-2016, 05:40 PM
Squall and Seifer
Jowy and Riou
Flynn and Yuri
Mileena and Kitana
Paul and Kuma

Vermachtnis
09-16-2016, 11:02 PM
Nep and Noire

Pheesh
09-17-2016, 12:49 AM
Sora and Riku.

Colonel Angus
09-17-2016, 01:44 AM
Mario & Luigi
Mario & Wario
Luigi & Waluigi
Alucard & Dracula
Cecil & Kain
Polom & Porom

Galuf
09-18-2016, 12:40 AM
Wow. Am I surprised no one mentioned Gary or Silver in. Pokemon.
not my personal choices but still.
squall and seifer is pretty cool. One is delusional and the other isnt. Idk.

Vermachtnis
09-18-2016, 12:57 AM

Wait, which one isn't delusional?

Galuf
09-18-2016, 11:35 AM
Uhhh ummm.Zell! Totally zell. He is the only one who knows the true crisis of the hotdogs

Sephiroth
09-18-2016, 03:48 PM
Uhhh ummm.Zell! Totally zell. He is the only one who knows the true crisis of the hotdogs

Amusing enough as they are no hotdogs but curry bread so Western Zell is very delusional.

sharkythesharkdogg
09-19-2016, 01:00 PM
Sonic and Knuckles
Ken and Ryu
Donkey Kong and Mario
Samus and Ridley

Vyk
09-19-2016, 04:06 PM
All the rivalries of Saints Row: The Boss and Julius or Dex or Troy. The Boss and Dane Vogel, The Boss and Killbane, The Boss and Zinyak, Johnny Gat and Shojo Akuji rivalry was really well done

I'm having trouble thinking of other rivalries that are actually well written out and not just "I'm better than you/No I'm better than you" type video gamey things. Squall and Seifer are good I guess, though I don't think either of them even understand why they dislike each other

I guess another decent one is the main character in Tales of the Abyss and the other red-haired guy you constantly bump into

Fynn
09-19-2016, 04:14 PM

Oh yeah! Silver was a fantastic rival!

Rez09
09-21-2016, 01:29 PM
I'll go with Blue being one of the best; the game is pretty basic, due to its age, but he does a good enough job popping up and egging you on, and his role as the final boss is one of the best from a narrative point of view. All of the other champions are already established, but Blue remains unique as someone with the same start and goal as the player who rises to the occasion and becomes the League champion. Everyone else ("rival"-wise) in the series peters out near the end while the player pushes ahead, but Blue alone is ready to give you that last fight for the thing you both dearly want. God, is his AI is terrible, though. . _.

I dig the Star Fox / Star Wolf rivalry in the SF series. They are easily on par with you and your team and the fights with them are generally pretty awesome, especially the rematch with their enhanced versions in SF64 on Venom the first time you get there and aren't expecting it. They are that fight I'm always looking forward to in SF games, and when that theme (https://youtu.be/ilWtrylHsSA?t=230) kicks in, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh! I love it. <3~

Axel Gear from the Rocket Knight series also comes to mind, though he strays a lot closer to simple enemy territory than what I'd consider the normal rival zone. Still, he's basically the enemy force's counterpart to you, and much like Wolf he's running most of your skills and abilities and makes for the best boss fights in the game's he is in.

Though never really played out by the player, I've always loved the rivalry between Dr. Wily and Dr. Light in the Mega Man series, as both are brilliant scientists, but Wily just can't take being second to Light and it drives him nuts -- it is also one of the rare times the evil rival wins out in the end, as Zero is (though I suppose some may contest this) the most advanced/powerful machine created during their generation. There's also some credit to be tossed the Mega Man / Bass way, though, for whatever reason, I never particularly cared for/about Bass.

FFNut
09-21-2016, 03:39 PM
Younger and older siblings. Who gets player one e top of the screen!