PDA

View Full Version : Interesting facts

Galuf
09-15-2016, 05:51 PM
Heres a thread where you can maybe share some interesting facts about literaly anything. Wether you find them interesting. Or you think someone else will.I dont know much so id be interested in seeing facts. Ah but you see. I have one that inspired this tgread.Spiders cant make noises. They have no vocal chords to do so. Literally learned this today thanks to Shauna and Night Fury.so yeah.

FFNut
09-15-2016, 06:42 PM
Kangaroos can't hop backwards.

Freya
09-15-2016, 06:53 PM
Octopus have three hearts.

There are a few people who can see 4 ranges of colors (four cones in their eyes that can mix colors) compared to the normal 3. Tetrachromats. They are only known to be women, who are daughters of a color blind father. In fact they only have one confirmed case of this but believe there are more but they just don't realize they see more than others. Normally, with the three cones, you see about a million different colors. A Tetrachromat can see 99 million. (color blind see about 10,000)

Fynn
09-15-2016, 07:02 PM
Marsupials don't have placentas, which is why the bebes go into a pouch. They have to be born really early and they're still too weak to sustain themselves. So baby kangaroos, for example, have to climb up the mom's belly straight after birth.

I highly recommend watching Ze Frank's videos on youtube about these things. They're both hilarious and insanely informative.

FFNut
09-15-2016, 07:06 PM
Two ants from different hills will fight to the death upon meeting.

Galuf
09-15-2016, 07:17 PM
Wow. These are all very interesting. Thank you.also Freya does that mean Ultros has 4 hearts cos you fight him 4 times lol

Fynn
09-15-2016, 07:18 PM
Some spider that eat ants have actually evolved to look like ants

http://www.sherdom.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Spider-Ant-1.jpg

Crop
09-15-2016, 08:18 PM
If you say "beer can" it sounds like "bacon" in a Jamaican accent.

Galuf
09-15-2016, 08:29 PM
Cat fact: cats have tails.
cat fact: cats have whiskers.
cat fact....

FFNut
09-15-2016, 08:40 PM
Pianos make sound bye hammers hitting strings.

qwertysaur
09-16-2016, 03:37 AM
3 raised to the power of 1000 is an absurdly large number, but the last digit is a 1

Iceglow
09-20-2016, 12:13 AM
In the UK, if someone is applying to work in a school then you can perform a criminal records check on a person to determine if they are banned from working with Children. However, you cannot perform a check on them under the adult workforce, unless you are offering them employment in an environment where some of the students will be aged 18+ and considered by legal definition Vulnerable. To do so in any other circumstances including at the request of the applicant written and signed in triplicate, is technically against the laws of data protection and can carry the same penalties as a determined breach of data protection.

The irony of this is, firstly the practice of an adult tutor dating/engaging in sexual conduct with a student, under the age of 21 regardless of vulnerable status is considered grounds for banning from the classroom for years, if not life. But this may not show on the Children's Barred List if the student was over the age of 18 (16 is the age of consent mind you and 18 is legally considered an adult) at the start of the relationship. Meaning you could (accidentally) employ someone barred from working in classrooms, this whilst not criminal in and of itself for the employer at least... can result in your school or organisation being shut down by the Department for Education, or placed under review regardless that you had no legal grounds to perform the check which would have revealed this.

Secondly, if a person applying to work as an LSA/TA/Teacher in a school had a history of working in care homes and had previously knocked about some old biddy who didn't do as she was told but was not found guilty of a criminal charge (this is perfectly possible mind) or was otherwise banned from working with Adults whom are considered Vulnerable due to misconduct, you would as a responsible employer wish to be aware of this fact, as of course, it would affect your decision (in case similar events happened in the future with children under your care).

You literally cannot win sometimes in the above situation. You're damned if you do the check and damned if you don't. It gets even more muddier when you try to explain that if there is just 1 18+ year old statemented special needs pupil at a school that all staff members, regardless of regular contact level need to undergo this check to the DBS as they will literally ask you "But why do they need that?" when the answer is "Because, they may find themselves in a position where they must be of assistance to said student and ergo become legally accountable for the student. If they have no adult barred list check, they legally cannot do that". As most secondary schools now provide Sixth Form education for pupils aged 16 - 19 this becomes a regular running battle with the DBS.

Even better is the fact that most school staff responsible for the conduction of DBS checks, do not have a clue about how any of this works, so you'll regularly see them putting Child and Adult on DBS applications for people working in Nursery Schools "because they are working with the other staff in the school" and the DBS themselves often struggle to actually explain what constitutes a Vulnerable Adult.

As a side point to the above, getting put on the Barred List is actually pretty hard to achieve, even for registered sex offenders and the Disclosure and Barring Service whom manage the Barred List will according to a meeting my managers attended with the DBS regularly contact people on the Barred List to ask if they would like to be taken off the list. I am as of yet unaware of the exact process a person would have to follow to get themselves permitted again to work in schools. However, I am reliably informed that the process is actually fairly simple and easy to achieve.

These are just some of the conundrums I face daily, someone tell me why the government thinks it should make it so hard to vet people who work in schools fully and then complain we don't have enough fully vetted/qualified teaching/support staff in schools.

TLDR: It's amazing how crazy the UK legal system is when it comes to conducting criminal record checks

Loony BoB
09-20-2016, 01:37 PM
999 may be the well known emergency number in the UK, but 112 also works. In fact, it works in every European Union country. It accepts languages such as Welsh and they have translators on hand for well over a hundred further languages.

Bubba
09-20-2016, 02:53 PM
I can eat an entire packet of bourbon creams in one sitting.

Galuf
09-20-2016, 04:12 PM
Dyne is unsavable

Vasher
09-29-2016, 11:52 AM
Octopus have three hearts.

There are a few people who can see 4 ranges of colors (four cones in their eyes that can mix colors) compared to the normal 3. Tetrachromats. They are only known to be women, who are daughters of a color blind father. In fact they only have one confirmed case of this but believe there are more but they just don't realize they see more than others. Normally, with the three cones, you see about a million different colors. A Tetrachromat can see 99 million. (color blind see about 10,000)

To elaborate on this and contribute, color blindness is an X recessive trait. Women have two X chromosomes, so the faults on one are "masked" by the other. Men have one X, so any "X faults" will be expressed. So, "only color blind fathers" can mate with females that have the non-expressed recessive X, resulting in the condition stated above.

I'll add this one because it blew the mind of my wife's friend mind several months ago, your left lung is smaller than your right. It has to make room for your heart.

Cheetah's can be domesticated.

Ejaculating 21+ times within a month drastically decreases the probablility of prostate cancer.

Pure, organic, maple syrup is such a powerful immune booster that its extract will soon be implemented into modern antibiotics.

Garlic, ginger, and lime are the most potent natural antibiotics (each with a given area of "expertise").

"Swallowing" (ahem) has a multitude of health benefits. Fact.

Sephex
09-29-2016, 12:14 PM
Bees often have sex with each other while listening to Sting.

Galuf
09-29-2016, 12:30 PM
Sexual stuff al day today it seems. :erm:
Well thwy are facts and interesting i guess.

Also I want a chettah pet