PDA

View Full Version : The Lion King

charliepanayi
09-28-2016, 04:08 PM
A live-action version is in the works. Well, I say live-action, it'll be like the recent Jungle Book, CGI animals etc. What do people think? These live-action films seem like a goldmine for Disney at the moment.

Alternatively, discuss the animated film!

Aulayna
09-28-2016, 04:22 PM
The animated film is the greatest feature film of all time.

I feel like a "live-action" one will only disappoint me at this point.

Del Murder
09-28-2016, 06:21 PM
Can't imagine how it could live up to the original animated version. Lion King is the king of animated movies.

Jinx
09-28-2016, 06:55 PM
Will it have songs? Otherwise it's just cats doing Hamlet.

charliepanayi
09-28-2016, 07:27 PM
The Jungle Book kept The Bare Necessities and I Wanna Be Like You, so I imagine at least some of the songs will be in it.

And The Lion King is very good, but it's not even the best Disney film of the 90s. Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin > The Lion King.

Formalhaut
09-28-2016, 07:27 PM

I kinda want to see a live-action Aristocats.

Joking aside, ehhh. I've very lukewarm on these 'gritty live-action' remakes they've been doing of classic Disney. Snow White is pretty unrecognisable to me, now.

Freya
09-28-2016, 07:39 PM
The Jungle Book live action was FANTASTIC. So with that as an example, it'll be the same director I heard, I think this will be alright.

charliepanayi
09-28-2016, 07:56 PM

Joking aside, ehhh. I've very lukewarm on these 'gritty live-action' remakes they've been doing of classic Disney. Snow White is pretty unrecognisable to me, now.

If you mean Snow White and the Huntsman, that wasn't Disney. And Cinderella was hardly 'gritty'. Or The Jungle Book.

Shauna
09-28-2016, 10:48 PM
Yeah, they're definitely not gritty. I've enjoyed them a bit as more of the things that I already liked. I guess we'll see how this goes.

Although thinking about it... this isn't even going to be a live action thing, because everything will be in CGI. Just remaking TLK then.

Depression Moon
09-28-2016, 11:03 PM

How could they do a live-action movie with talking animals?

charliepanayi
09-28-2016, 11:20 PM
I should have put live action in inverted commas really. Disney didn't call it as such in their press release. But it will be much like the recent Jungle Book film I imagine.

Depression Moon
09-28-2016, 11:25 PM
Jungle Book was all cgi except for the little boy. No humans in Lion King.

Del Murder
09-29-2016, 12:13 AM
Jungle Book was all cgi except for the little boy. No humans in Lion King.
Even the settings? Was he in front of a green screen the whole time?

If that's true, then the more I think about it, this Lion King idea is pretty dumb. Jungle Book worked because it is about a little boy in a world of animals. Disney successfully translated that into a real world setting by using a real boy. Of course the talking animals were all fake but the viewer was able to suspend their disbelief for a minute because there was a real human on screen. With Lion King, there are no humans. So all it will be is a 3D animated remake of Lion King, which has no chance of living up to the original.

Also, Jungle Book was very old and not super memorable so they had a lot of room to improve and make it fresh. Lion King may be 20 years old but it still holds up and we still all remember it vividly. Good luck Disney!

FFNut
09-29-2016, 01:52 AM

Everybody wants to to be a cat. Because a cat is the only cat that knows where it's at!

TheKeybasHKey
09-29-2016, 02:03 AM
Iīm honestly looking foward for the movieīs direction.

Formalhaut
09-29-2016, 03:12 AM
If you mean Snow White and the Huntsman, that wasn't Disney. And Cinderella was hardly 'gritty'. Or The Jungle Book.

That wasn't Disney? Huh. I think that film basically turned me off any other live-action rendition of a classic tale since I saw it that one time. It was terrible.

Anyway, The Jungle Book didn't really look bad at all. The film I had in mind was Tarzan. Which also isn't Disney. I think what I've discovered today is that I dislike the majority of non-Disney live-action remakes of classic stories, and I tend to associate Disney with everything. Blame Kingdom Hearts.

But I must confess, I'm also sceptical of this 'live action' Lion King. Like Auly said, the original is incredibly hard to beat. Having said that, I can no longer watch the original any longer because of the amount of times I was forced to watch it at school during 'rainy days' and all that crap, so a refreshing new spin might actually fill that niche for me.

charliepanayi
09-29-2016, 08:52 AM
Also, Jungle Book was very old and not super memorable so they had a lot of room to improve and make it fresh. Lion King may be 20 years old but it still holds up and we still all remember it vividly. Good luck Disney!

Not super memorable? It's one of Disney's most famous and highly regarded animated films, with two of its best-known songs.

Also, Disney will keep a close eye on how well Beauty and the Beast does next year. If that does great business, they'll be even more confident that The Lion King will as well. In the end it doesn't really matter how good or bad the film is, it's being made to make a ton of money.

Fynn
09-29-2016, 09:01 AM

Not super memorable? It's one of Disney's most famous and highly regarded animated films, with two of its best-known songs.

I assure you, that is not the case internationally. Everyone here loves the Lion King. I don't think I've ever spoken to anyone in this country who's even seen the Jungle Book.

Shauna
09-29-2016, 10:11 AM
Maybe Brits just love a bit of Rudyard Kipling, because I would agree with charlie's comments.

Pike
09-29-2016, 10:16 AM
We yanks love The Jungle Book too. Honestly I Wanna Be Like You is my #1 favorite Disney song of all time. Fall Out Boy covered it at some point which is fantastic.

As for me I haven't even seen any of these live-action remakes (Except for 101 Dalmatians I guess, back in the 90s) so no opinion from me here!

Sephex
09-29-2016, 11:22 AM
We yanks love The Jungle Book too. Honestly I Wanna Be Like You is my #1 favorite Disney song of all time. Fall Out Boy covered it at some point which is fantastic.

The song was originally done by Hootie and the Blowfish.

Bubba
09-29-2016, 03:18 PM
Fun fact: For years I thought that Hootie and the Blowfish were a made-up band as I'd only ever heard of them from that episode of Friends when they go to their concert. Little did I know they were a real live mediocre rock band.

This live action version of The Lion King will not be a patch on the animated version. Disney won't care though. The Jungle Book remake earned them nearly a billion dollars at the box office.

Don't be surprised to see Beauty and the Beast announced next.

Shauna
09-29-2016, 03:37 PM

That sounds like a nonsense - what are they going to do, cast Hermione Granger as Belle? Pah!

Bubba
09-29-2016, 03:41 PM

That sounds like a nonsense - what are they going to do, cast Hermione Granger as Belle? Pah!

You heard it here first!

and last

Aulayna
10-03-2016, 10:53 PM

You heard it here first!

and last

I'd buy it.

Maybe I'd need to see a "live-action" take on Cinderella first though.

Slothy
10-03-2016, 11:19 PM
Even the settings? Was he in front of a green screen the whole time?

I have absolutely nothing to base this on aside from how a lot of other movies have been filmed in recent years, and I haven't even seen this Jungle Book movie, but I would be willing to bet most, if not all, was filmed in front of a green screen. Hollywood has a habit of doing it even when it is completely unnecessary and objectively looks worse than just doing things for real.

DMKA
10-04-2016, 12:36 AM
I mean I really enjoyed The Jungle Book, Cinderella, and yes even Maleficent, but like others have said, I just cannot see a "live action" version of The Lion King coming anywhere close to the original. Considering that all the characters in the film are animals, and thus all of them are going to be CGI, it seems like a rather pointless thing to make.

Maybe it's going to be an adaptation of the stage musical and have the changes they introduced in it from the original film (i.e., Rafiki being female)?

Depression Moon
10-04-2016, 01:14 AM

Is this a joke because it was announced a long time ago. There's even a teaser trailer and images.

Slothy
10-04-2016, 01:53 AM
Best to assume that Bubba is always joking. That goes double for when he says he's being serious. If he's ever said that anyway. Honestly can't remember if it's ever happened.

Bubba
10-04-2016, 05:54 PM

Is this a joke because it was announced a long time ago. There's even a teaser trailer and images.

Best to assume that Bubba is always joking. That goes double for when he says he's being serious. If he's ever said that anyway. Honestly can't remember if it's ever happened.

Vivi knows me very well.

I don't think I've made a serious post on here since 2013.

Formalhaut
10-04-2016, 06:20 PM

Vivi knows me very well.

I don't think I've made a serious post on here since 2013.

Your staff announcement seemed serious... but that was all a clever ruse as well I take it!

Anyway, live-action Beauty and the Beast could really work, I think. It has that ever so slight dark and serious edge that lends itself to the medium.

Shauna
10-04-2016, 06:55 PM
Anyway, live-action Beauty and the Beast could really work, I think. It has that ever so slight dark and serious edge that lends itself to the medium.

Well, if Disney's other live action adaptations are anything to go by, I think it'll be pretty decent. I guess we'll find out next year!

charliepanayi
10-04-2016, 07:37 PM
Live-action Mulan is coming in late 2018 as well.

ttokkii
10-04-2016, 09:19 PM
I'm going to be the moaning Minnie on this but I'm really not a fan of this whole live action rehash. The films are fine as they are, and all I see are these films as a big dollar sign for Disney. I thought the jungle book was beautiful, but beautiful =/= a good film.

The lion king was a great movie, but not disneys best. The Black Cauldron forever dudes.

That being said, I'll still give it a watch. I'm not going to hate on it before I even see it. It might be good. I just yearn for the days of hand drawn animation from Disney. (I'm not a fan of Frozen, either)

EDIT: Mulan I can see as working quite well, really. But then again.. depends how they go about it.

I feel like Disney are George Lucasing themselves.

maybee
10-05-2016, 06:48 AM
Maybe they plan to do it like the Broadway show ? Or with humans and the lion part is just going to be a bravery and leadership metaphor ?

I hated the Cinderella remake, because it made what was originally quite a smart and bold hero for her time a loopy and crazy mess. I mean in the original, when Stepmom locks her up, she acts like a normal person would, scared, emotional and crying- the live action Cinderella ? Danced around like she was kooky.

I haven't seen the Jungle Book one yet, but the Cinderella one has just put me off these remakes.

I'm going to be the moaning Minnie on this but I'm really not a fan of this whole live action rehash. The films are fine as they are, and all I see are these films as a big dollar sign for Disney. I thought the jungle book was beautiful, but beautiful =/= a good film.

That being said, I'll still give it a watch. I'm not going to hate on it before I even see it. It might be good. I just yearn for the days of hand drawn animation from Disney. (I'm not a fan of Frozen, either)

EDIT: Mulan I can see as working quite well, really. But then again.. depends how they go about it.

Yeah agree with you so much ! Miss the days of 2D animation so much.

charliepanayi
10-05-2016, 09:30 AM
Film audiences won't even give stop motion animation a chance any more, let alone 2D animation. Stop blaming film studios for not trying things audiences don't seem interested in.

Also, I'm pretty sure that Cinderella gets upset at points in the recent live-action version. The only loopy person in the film was the Fairy Godmother.

ttokkii
10-05-2016, 01:15 PM
I don't blame Disney for trying things outside of traditional animation. I like that they try other stuff. Star Wars for example. Although it was essentially Ep 4, they still took it out of the pit Lucas left it in. I give them a lot of Kudos for that and I like how they kept a lot of the feel of the series true to the originals.

What i'm saying is, nowadays they seem more concerned with how something looks, rather than giving a movie substance. Frozen's storyline was atrocious (sorry Frozen fans) but it was beautifully animated. I feel like they're just losing themselves to try and capture a more modern audience, which in turn is isolating previous fans/audiences. There's nothing wrong with a company evolving with the times (and in most respects, is necessary) but when a company is unrecognisable it's a danger to them (in the respects of shareholders, branding etc) and they risk losing brand loyalty, trust etc by changing so radically. (excuse my ramblings, I have to use my degree in this stuff somehow :p)

I guess what i'm trying to say is, I miss the magic of Disney. I am not against CGI or live action, I am pretty open with remakes and the like. The films are more concerned with aesthetics and profit (i'm not saying they weren't before, just moreso now) than actually maintaining what the company made kids/families feel.

But eh, that's just my two pennies worth :lol:

charliepanayi
10-05-2016, 02:08 PM
Whatever one's feelings on recent output, it does seem clear that, thus far at least, Disney are not showing any signs of losing any fans or brand loyalty. Zootopia was one of the biggest films of the year so far, Moana is likely to be a big success too. There's not many studios of late who have managed commercial and critical success to this degree.

TheKeybasHKey
10-06-2016, 11:35 PM
Well one of my opinions is that the plot of the Lion King Remake should take another direction plotwise going more like one of itīs influnces: Hamlet. But i donīt think they will take that direction.

Slothy
10-07-2016, 01:43 AM

If disagree, but only because they didn't go back and make changes to the originals while making sure you can't buy versions that haven't been Lucased.

MJN SEIFER
10-08-2016, 08:57 PM
Fun fact: For years I thought that Hootie and the Blowfish were a made-up band as I'd only ever heard of them from that episode of Friends when they go to their concert. Little did I know they were a real live mediocre rock band.
I knew they were real, because I'd also heard them mentioned on Hang Time which I watched before Friends (must make a point of listening to Hootie and the Blowfish when I can). However, I did a similar thing to you; I thought Days of Our Lives was made up for Friends, but it's a real American soap opera.

On topic: I am supportive of all remakes, even if I end up not liking them. I fully support the right to do your own version of something, if it's what you want to do.

charliepanayi
10-10-2016, 09:36 PM
Disney have now announced a live-action Aladdin and Guy Ritchie is in talks to direct. Bwahahahahahahaha. Who is going to play the Genie? Jason Statham?

Formalhaut
10-10-2016, 09:45 PM
Disney have now announced a live-action Aladdin and Guy Ritchie is in talks to direct. Bwahahahahahahaha. Who is going to play the Genie? Jason Statham?

Enough already with the live-action! They'll put animators out of the job at this rate. :p

Bubba
10-11-2016, 12:03 PM
This live action version of The Lion King will not be a patch on the animated version. Disney won't care though. The Jungle Book remake earned them nearly a billion dollars at the box office.

Don't be surprised to see Aladdin announced next.

maybee
10-11-2016, 01:26 PM
Film audiences won't even give stop motion animation a chance any more, let alone 2D animation.

Truth sadly. Parents would rather take their children to go see a DreamWork-yish comedy. Secret Life Of Pets creamed Zootopia in the Box Office, and Zootopia wasn't even drawn.

Stop blaming film studios for not trying things audiences don't seem interested in.

The thing is though, it's Disney. If anybody can take the bold risk and do a new 2D animated flick; it's them. Frozen was supposed to be 2D Animated and same with Moana, but they just don't have the courage.

Parents are mostly taking their kiddies to go so Dreamwork-y flicks, because that's what the norm is. If a animated company could possibly change that norm, it's Walt's old company. I mean, in the 80's, Disney wasn't even all that hot, parents would rather take their children to go and see The Care Bears Movie, and yet, they still managed to come back, with Little Mermaid.

Also, I'm pretty sure that Cinderella gets upset at points in the recent live-action version.

She does, though if your abusive stepmum locked you in a basement, on the day where your beloved is looking for you, and can free you from the abusive family that you are trapped in, you wouldn't sing, hum and dance around. You would act like the original Cindy would. You would be scared, anxious, broken down and crying. It just ruined the whole movie for me, personally. ;/

charliepanayi
10-11-2016, 01:56 PM
Er...Zootopia made more money than The Secret Life of Pets. It's the second biggest film of the year so far.

maybee
10-12-2016, 12:21 PM
Er...Zootopia made more money than The Secret Life of Pets. It's the second biggest film of the year so far.

Really ??? Because a Box Office website on Google says that Secret Life Of Pets did so much more than Zootopia ;/

charliepanayi
10-12-2016, 02:13 PM
Maybe it's referring to the US specifically, where The Secret Life of Pets made slightly more. Worldwide, Zootopia has made more:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?view2=worldwide&yr=2016&p=.htm

charliepanayi
02-18-2017, 09:02 AM
http://variety.com/2017/film/news/donald-glover-simba-lion-king-remake-1201991771/

charliepanayi
04-25-2017, 10:13 PM
It's out in July 2019, and they've now also cast Billy Eichner and Seth Rogen as Timon and Pumbaa apparently.

Freya
04-25-2017, 10:32 PM
And donald glover as simba!

maybee
04-26-2017, 12:29 PM
Simba looks so cute :love:

I wish this movie luck though, it's going to be some pretty hard footsteps to follow.

charliepanayi
11-02-2017, 12:04 AM
Looks like they have pretty much all the cast lined up for the new film now:

https://twitter.com/kristapley/status/925853904750784512

charliepanayi
11-23-2018, 09:13 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CbLXeGSDxg

Jinx
11-23-2018, 02:05 PM
These movies always make me feel weird, because there's a disconnect for me. In an animated film, you get used to the voices, and this is still an animated film.

So I can't explain how genuinely fucking happy James Earl Jones is still Mufasa.

Aulayna
11-23-2018, 07:42 PM

Scrap that. I AM A GIDDY 8 YEAR OLD ALL OVER AGAIN AND NEED TO SEE IT NOW!