PDA

View Full Version : Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events

charliepanayi
10-04-2016, 07:50 PM
Anyone read the books? Seen the film? Looking forward to the Netflix series in January?

http://www.avclub.com/article/netflixs-series-unfortunate-events-will-unfold-fri-243641

Shauna
10-04-2016, 08:27 PM
All of the above! The movie was a shambles, so I'm excited to see it play out in a miniseries.

ttokkii
10-04-2016, 08:38 PM
I loved the books, I used to be really obsessed as a kid when they were getting released. Looking forward to the series !

Night Fury
10-05-2016, 05:04 AM
I'm super excited for this and will probably read the books again before it comes out. That trailer is great, I love Neil Patrick Harris!

maybee
10-05-2016, 06:41 AM
Gave up on the 4th one as a kid, just got too depressing.

Formalhaut
10-05-2016, 01:32 PM
A series like this lends itself to serialisation as opposed to one film. I might consider it, definitely!

Jinx
10-05-2016, 02:58 PM
This remains one of my favorite series, and one of my favorite childhood memories. I LOVED these books as a kid. I loved that they were bleak. I love that they still taught good messages in a way--the world sucks, people probably won't give a trout about you, your family/your friends are everything. Also I love that the Violet is the inventor, and Klaus is the reader. That's really refreshing.

What happened with the movie was criminal. First off, Jim Carrey is a terrible actor and ruins everything he's in, so there's that. Second, it was just baaad. And it came out during the height of the books' popularity, so it's not like it had to fight for views or something.

Anyways, I am really looking forward to this. Not super into who they chose to play Lemony Snicket. He seems too...snarky, and not nearly depressed enough. He's literally writing the story of the children of them dead woman he loved. He is not a happy man.

charliepanayi
10-05-2016, 03:59 PM
Whoa, let's not start slating Patrick Warburton and Jim Carrey now! Well, OK, Carrey in Lemony Snicket maybe but he was a decent actor before he went nuts.

Night Fury
10-05-2016, 04:22 PM
Jim Carey is amazing! The Truman Show!!!!!!

The original Lemony Snicket movie wasn't great though; I don't think it was all his fault, there were a lot of issues with it.

Bubba
10-05-2016, 04:24 PM
I'm not sure I fancy this. It's probably gonna follow that series formula where they have lots of episodes one after the other before inevitably leaving the last episode on a cliffhanger in the desperate hope they get commissioned for a second series.

Formalhaut
10-05-2016, 04:41 PM
I'm not sure I fancy this. It's probably gonna follow that series formula where they have lots of episodes one after the other before inevitably leaving the last episode on a cliffhanger in the desperate hope they get commissioned for a second series.

Curse those pesky formulas! :p

charliepanayi
10-05-2016, 04:47 PM

At the moment if you're on Netflix chances are you'll get a second season. Mind you, they're going all out next year so maybe there'll some casualties as they wait to see what sticks.

Jinx
10-05-2016, 07:00 PM
I hate Jim Carrey. Always have, always will. He's never been in anything of substance. :shobon:

As for Patrick Warburton, he's a fine actor, but not right for the role.

charliepanayi
10-05-2016, 07:23 PM
Madness. He's in two of the best films of the last 25 years (Ace Ventura: Pet Detective and Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls - OK, maybe not thoswe two).

Formalhaut
10-05-2016, 07:59 PM
I hate Jim Carrey. Always have, always will. He's never been in anything of substance. :shobon:

Who would you cast in the role, Jinx?

Jinx
10-05-2016, 09:25 PM

Who would you cast in the role, Jinx?

Stanley Tucci.

charliepanayi
11-17-2016, 07:59 PM
Trailer:

https://www.facebook.com/NetflixUK/videos/910071299094928/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED

DMKA
11-18-2016, 04:06 AM
Jim Carrey has made some pretty awful films in recent years but he's a great actor. Even in the aforementioned awful films, he still did a great job.

I liked the film version of A Series of Unfortunate Events quite well, but I never read the books so that's probably why.

Freya
11-18-2016, 02:48 PM
The new trailer looks so fun!

Jinx
11-18-2016, 02:55 PM
ALFRE WOODARD IS AUNT JOSEPHINE :heart: I love that this show is so inclusive. The books never really identified anyone's race, so it's totally open to just cast awesome people.

charliepanayi
01-14-2017, 06:37 PM
Bump as it's available to watch now

Night Fury
01-15-2017, 02:31 AM
I watched the first 3 on friday, but it's not something I'm going to be able to burn all the way through. So I might just watch an episode a night or something.

Enjoyed it so far though, would love to watch it with kids!

Mirage
01-15-2017, 08:37 PM
It's too bleak for me to watch the episodes back to back, but the first few episodes were pretty fun.

Shaibana
01-19-2017, 02:34 PM
i just finished this season
i loved it

i was seriously sad when 'father and mother' turned out not to be their parents :( i knew when the door would open they wouldnt reunite but this revelation made me sad

Nice
01-19-2017, 03:59 PM
Haven't seen it yet, but I heard that Neil Patrick Harris' shtick gets old by episode 3.