PDA

View Full Version : The Nineties

Bubba
10-05-2016, 05:59 PM
What did you make of this decade? When someone mentions the nineties what's the first thing that springs to mind for you? Music? Probably not... Gaming? Politics? What are some of the memories it evokes?

Edit: I was gonna pick the eighties (the decade I was born in) but I didn't want you all to make me feel old.

Shauna
10-05-2016, 06:00 PM
I was of the ages 0-9. It was not a bad time to be growing up!

Fynn
10-05-2016, 06:04 PM

Same. Poland was just out of the community era! Talk about growing pains!

Bubba
10-05-2016, 06:07 PM
I knew this thread was a bad idea...

Shauna
10-05-2016, 06:08 PM
Calm down, old man.

Fynn
10-05-2016, 06:09 PM
So you were born when we still had communism! Just like my parents!

Wolf Kanno
10-05-2016, 06:29 PM
Yes, I still remember the Cold War, though barely.

The Ninties were my formative middle school/teen years so I remember it pretty fondly. Though I do try to remove the nostalgia glasses from time to time.

ttokkii
10-05-2016, 06:36 PM
I was born in '91, I remember lots of Zelda and bad fashion choices :lol:

Freya
10-05-2016, 06:48 PM
That.

Lot's of Nickelodeon game shows. I wanted to be on Legends of the Hidden Temple so badly.

Also yeah, fashion was so bad.

Formalhaut
10-05-2016, 07:58 PM
The 90's? Well I was born in 1995, so I don't really have much recollection of it growing up. It was, okay? The early to late 00's was my sort of 'growing up' time, so to speak, so I guess I have a secondary knowledge of the 90's based on the early 00's.

theundeadhero
10-05-2016, 08:10 PM
It was the last truly great decade and all you young people with your other decades are just deplorable and weird.

Iceglow
10-05-2016, 10:54 PM
I remember being Oasis or Blur (I was always the Oasis man myself). Thats probably one of my key memories. Also 3 Lions being released and the subsequent throwing it away when Gareth Southgate's penalty got saved :(. So close, so far.

I also remember shit like Jurrasic Park being on at the cinema, Pat Sharpe's Fun House, Neil Buchannan on Art Attack, Anthea Turner and Katy Hill being Art Attack Presenters. Ant and Dec just being 2 twats in Byker Grove...

I remember too much of the 90s

Colonel Angus
10-06-2016, 06:02 AM
The 90s were interesting.

Yes, interesting.

There was sort of a political malaise, as the Communists were disappearing & we had no enemies but each other.

Good times.

Fynn
10-06-2016, 10:47 AM
I remember recording Sailor Moon episodes on VHS because sometimes my parents couldn't pick me up from kindergarten early enough for me to be home on time, so that I could watch it later.

And then I also watched a ton of Dr. Slump, Dragon Ball, the Knights of the Zodiac. We actually had a lot of anime airing. Funnily, with the exception of Sailor Moon (which aired in the original Japanese with a Polish voice-over, with no censorship! Yes, we had gay Jedite and Haruka and Michiru were... uh, "gal pals", but hey, at least that was better than cousins and all the flirting was kept in! And look, all the children watched it and we didn't end up confused or anything), all the other anime were given to us in the French version with Polish voice-overs, which was weird. And then suddenly they gave us the Japanese version fo Dragon Ball GT mid-season and it was just so weird that Goku had a female voice???

Also, we had Cartoon Network in English! Which is how I got bilingual. That and the New Yorkers that lived next door. So I spend the Nineties in this weird limbo between Polish and American culture. Imagine my disappointment when I found out trick or treating wasn't a thing here!

And then there were the video games! I had a gameboy, first with those illegal Russian bootleg cartridges that said they had 120 games on them but they actually had like 15, but they repeated over and over with different titles. And then there was Pokemon and Wario and stuff. I actually had an Amiga first, though, with a ton of games since I inherited it from one of my dad's students. Sadly, it tragically died when my best friend accidentally put in a faulty floppy disk that got jammed in. When we finally pulled it out, the thing wouldn't read games anymore. Also, damn, the controllers for that console lasted like, a week or so.

But aside from that, Jinx kind of nailed my biggest memories from the nineties, as I spent the first half of the nineties barely lucid since I was still a little kid. Boybands, Britney Spears - all that stuff that was basically a prelude to the oughties. And spending time outdoors was really big and I am kinda happy to have grown up in that transitional period.

Also, we had these creepy puppet shows with really disturbing puppets. Can't find any pictures though, but I will come back here when I do.

Night Fury
10-06-2016, 11:12 AM
Come on through 1990's!

iTFrCbQGyvM

I wish I could live in that decade again as I am now. I'd be in heaven, truly.

Vasher
10-06-2016, 12:17 PM
oDB06Shv8zY

sb2np1HGqxg

B0yGvypBwyA

Loony BoB
10-06-2016, 04:20 PM
http://cliparts.co/cliparts/kcM/nRq/kcMnRqRni.jpg

sharkythesharkdogg
10-06-2016, 04:45 PM
The '90's were pretty fun. Middle school/high school for me.

I was around when things like TMNT, Star Trek:TNG, and The Simpsons got their start in the late '80s, so they'll always feel more '80s to me.

Loony BoB
10-06-2016, 05:11 PM
Technically yeah, TMNT was 1987-1996, and as I was born in 1984, I naturally remember more of it as a 90s thing. But it's definitely the first thing I think of when people say "90s". I could probably split my 90s quite finely with a knife and have one side be the "TMNT era" and the other the "Original PlayStation era" in my life. xD

ttokkii
10-06-2016, 05:34 PM
Oh man, i freakin' love the turtles. Michael Angelo forever dudes.

Bubba
10-06-2016, 06:10 PM
I remember having endless debates at school about the theme song to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Half the kids in school thought the line was "Raphael is cool but crude" and the other half thought it was "Raphael is cool but rude".

Literally hundreds hours were wasted. It was the blue/black vs white/gold dress of it's time.

ttokkii
10-06-2016, 06:37 PM
I always thought it was "rude" ?

Bubba
10-06-2016, 06:39 PM
I always thought it was "rude" ?

No, it was crude! DON'T BRING BACK MY UNHAPPY CHILDHOOD.

TheKeybasHKey
10-06-2016, 11:21 PM
I donīt have memory of the 90īs I was born in 1996. If thereīs was one thing is that i was with my sibilings watching TV or something.

ttokkii
10-07-2016, 08:49 PM
I've been thinking about this again. Know what I thought?

Baby Got Back.

Forsaken Lover
10-07-2016, 11:55 PM
What is the 90s?
iqu132vTl5Y

Born in '88 here. I am sad I missed out on the best decade. The 80s had the best of everything.

Depression Moon
10-08-2016, 05:19 AM
A lot of bad stuff for me growing up, but a lot of my favorite things in media came from this time which includes music, video games, TV shows, and movies. This was in particular the Golden Age in Hip-Hop. After the 90's the quality in the mainstream started to die down until it became to this pitiful state it's in right now.