PDA

View Full Version : Spooky ooky kooky!

Night Fury
10-06-2016, 11:33 AM
What are some of your favourite scary monsters from TV/Film? Which ones scared the pants off you when you were younger?

The Gentleman from Buffy absolutely terrified me! I think it was the whole ambience of the episode though and that they were so SMILY AND POLITE AND CLINICAL. EW - YA NASTY.

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11116/111169994/4093910-tumblr_lztia9xnr11qbkl8s.gif

A lot of Buffy monsters got me though.

ttokkii
10-06-2016, 11:39 AM
IT. That thing has permanently scarred me for life. I now have Coulrophobia thanks to that darn thing. (Although, i did watch the film way too young due to a dare)

Vasher
10-06-2016, 11:51 AM
OMG yes, all day, every day, without inhibition, Elvira!!!

Seriously though, that girl crawling out of the tv in "The Ring".

Oddly enough, there's a woman entity in my house, first spotted by my eldest son (days after his 3'rd birthday). Spotted by numerous since. I'm pretty sure that I told a story (or two) here some time ago.

Loony BoB
10-06-2016, 02:57 PM
I can be frightened by movies that have sudden things happen, but I can't think of any time I've been scared. It's probably why I'm not really bothered much by the horror genre, which is perhaps the only genre I don't care much for. I do enjoy some for clever writing, directing and suspense. I really enjoyed watching The Conjuring.

starlet
10-07-2016, 03:24 AM
IT. That thing has permanently scarred me for life. I now have Coulrophobia thanks to that darn thing. (Although, i did watch the film way too young due to a dare)

I watched It when I was way too young too (happened to see it when family was watching it and I was supposed to be in bed) and clowns freaked me out for a long time too. I watched it in full again some years later (late 20s) and discovered just how hilarious Tim Curry is :D

As for me.... Things that hide in shadows freak me out the most. The girl from the grudge and babadook dook doooook come to mind. Also you can't talk about monsterthings without a mention to Bram stokers' Dracula :colbert:

Bubba
10-07-2016, 10:45 AM
I remember watching The Thing as a child and that was awful. Any scene in which the creature appears scared the crap out of me.

I second Pennywise too. "Oh yes, Georgie. They float. And when you're down here with me... YOU'LL FLOAT TOO!"

Nope.

Galuf
10-09-2016, 03:11 PM
i like "its" laugh. he was a funny wee dude. even helped kill the bullies. dunno why everyone thought he was bad

Formalhaut
10-09-2016, 04:04 PM
I don't do horror, so I guess everything in these films scare me. I remember my brother forced me to watch Jeepers Creepers once. I was like, seven? He locked the room and everything. I HATED it. Thinking about it, that's the film that started my severe aversion to horror films.

I'm getting better though. I can watch Supernatural now, though that's still somewhat scary sometimes. The invisible hellhounds though, damn. Vicious and scary. And they killed some of my favourite female characters on the show (which, if you watch it, is a sadly recurring trend). I'll try to think of other monsters from that show. There's been plenty​.

Psychotic
10-10-2016, 04:44 PM
There was a Point Horror book that I read as a lad about some guy looking for a missing girl. And then it turns out that there had been loads of missing children in that city over the previous few years. It turned out they had gone feral and were luring other kids away to form a weird tribe thing in the sewers and storm drains. I vaguely remember they were in tattered clothes and had really long claw like fingernails.

It properly messed me up and any references to going underground set me on edge for a month or two. I'm laughing at what a dumb kid I was as I remember this but even Jamiroquai's song Deeper Underground was a worry. Like, not the song itself because it wasn't about a cult of wild animal kids that want to claw me up that lives underneath the earth (it should've been!) but just the phrase itself was a kind of trigger. Bless xD

Now though I love the idea of things beneath the earth. I'd bloody love to read that book again but alas will never be able to find it or remember its name.

EDIT: Aha! https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vanished-Celia-Rees/dp/1407110608