PDA

View Full Version : FFIX - Level 1 Ozma Challenge

Marshall Banana
11-05-2016, 06:46 AM
Necronopticous and I will be streaming our "LV 1 Ozma Challenge" playthrough on Twitch, if anyone's interested, at least once per week. This is our 3rd time doing this challenge, but first time streaming it.

http://www.twitch.tv/JumpLust

We're streaming at the moment, actually.

Mirage
11-05-2016, 11:24 AM
3rd time. Did you succeed the two first times?

Marshall Banana
11-05-2016, 11:44 AM
3rd time. Did you succeed the two first times?

Yup. This is our favorite FF challenge. We completed it once separately, once after we first moved in together (with Kishi, if I recall correctly), and this time we wanted to record it since we've been streaming a bit.

Mirage
11-05-2016, 12:00 PM
do you have a schedule? :p

Like, timezone, evenings, mornings, weekends?

Depression Moon
11-05-2016, 01:17 PM
How can this even be possible? I'd think your party wouldn't even be able to take one hit, let alone Curse + Doomsday combo.

Mirage
11-05-2016, 03:34 PM
i guess if you tune in you'll find out!

Ergroilnin
11-05-2016, 06:11 PM
It's actually pretty easy. Levels in FFIX don't mean a thing if you're well equipped. I done lvl 1 Ozma before and basically it's grind before and luck during the battle. Once you're set up, it dead in few tries.

The only truly unbeatable enemy in FFIX on all lvl1 is friendly Yan.

Necronopticous
11-05-2016, 06:21 PM
do you have a schedule? :p

Like, timezone, evenings, mornings, weekends?
I typically stream solo 2-3 times per week after work (7PM Pacific Time) on weekdays and randomly throughout weekends. For this particular challenge stream, we're planning on picking back up tomorrow and playing throughout the day, and then whenever we both have the energy after work next week. We save all of our past broadcasts on Twitch (https://www.twitch.tv/jumplust/videos/past-broadcasts) if you want to skim through and catch up to where we are at. We ended late last night near the end of Disc 1!

It's actually pretty easy. Levels in FFIX don't mean a thing if you're well equipped. I done lvl 1 Ozma before and basically it's grind before and luck during the battle. Once you're set up, it dead in few tries.
Yeah, definitely. The real challenge is getting to Ozma without ever gaining any levels with any permanent characters. Once you do that, actually beating him is just a matter of preparation & luck.

Marshall Banana
11-07-2016, 05:02 AM
We're about to do the segment in Cleyra right now, which is one of the most frustrating parts of this challenge.

Edit #1: We didn't have much trouble with this part, actually. We spent less than an hour fighting through the soldiers and mages.

Edit #2: Screenshot!

Mirage
11-07-2016, 08:49 AM
that fuckup at the start tho :p

Marshall Banana
11-07-2016, 08:55 AM
So, the guide on GameFAQs for this challenge recommends -- throughout the entire game -- to use equipment that boosts Spirit for Vivi and Quina when using Stop or Add Status abilities.

However, after looking at a mechanics guide for the game, it seems that the magic stat affects Stop (not spirit stat), and Add Status has a flat chance of 10%...

I'mma see if I can test this. Anyone else confirm?

Mirage
11-07-2016, 09:12 AM
Why do you keep some characters dead in boss battles, when you don't get exp from bosses?

Marshall Banana
11-07-2016, 09:23 AM
Being greedy with Phoenix Downs.

Mirage
11-07-2016, 09:23 AM
i see. i was thinking the exp-less AP would have been a pretty nice thing to have

Marshall Banana
11-07-2016, 09:26 AM
i see. i was thinking the exp-less AP would have been a pretty nice thing to have
It is, but I think we'll be able to easily cast Stop on monsters in the Outer Continent to make up for any lost AP, if necessary.

Depression Moon
11-07-2016, 01:53 PM
How do you avoid gaining levels when there are predetermined encounters like Zorn and Thorn sending black mages at you and the soldiers in Cleyra?

Necronopticous
11-07-2016, 06:32 PM
How do you avoid gaining levels when there are predetermined encounters like Zorn and Thorn sending black mages at you and the soldiers in Cleyra?
https://www.twitch.tv/jumplust/v/99593677 @ 1:21:30

Marshall Banana
11-07-2016, 06:35 PM
Alexandrian soldiers run away if you do a certain amount of damage to them (without killing them). As a result, you don't earn EXP from them.

To defeat Black Mages without earning EXP, you must cast Stop on them with Vivi or have Quina attack them with Needle Fork in order to petrify them. Stop is more successful, seemingly (but both have a low chance of succeeding). The first time you encounter Black Mages (in Gizamaluke's Grotto) you don't have Stop yet, so you have to rely on Quina's Needle Fork to petrify them.