PDA

View Full Version : Santa Claus

Bubba
11-13-2016, 10:15 PM
Ho Ho Ho! Christmas is just around the corner so what better time to talk about the shattering of young children's dreams.

My question is will you/do you agree with telling children the brutal truth or will you go along with the beautiful lie to make their childhood magical? What did your parents do with you?

Vermachtnis
11-14-2016, 03:39 AM
I'm confused. How is telling kids that Santa is real, a lie? How dare you sully the good name of the Patron Saint of Prostitutes.

Fynn
11-14-2016, 03:56 PM
Honestly, I see zero harm in telling kids about Santa. Christmas is always fun at my family's house because even though we all know Santa isn't real, we still all act like it's him bringing in all the gifts and it just makes the celebration much more magical and memorable.

Pumpkin
11-14-2016, 04:44 PM
Santa is real tho?

Mirage
11-14-2016, 05:04 PM
santa claus, or santa clause?

Karifean
11-14-2016, 06:40 PM
Of course. Santa is real.

https://i.imgur.com/7xsIsS9.png

"Are you kidding me? Of course Santa is not-"

Shut up, Santa is real.

jenovajunkie
11-15-2016, 03:47 AM
Of course kids should believe in Santa. But I mean kids, not people who act like kids. Really it can be used as an incentive for good behaviour, like religion and the almighty God. But eventually people grow up, and figure stuff out. The problem is what is good behaviour and to whom? Lol are their Christmas extremists, if Trump doesn't comply with reindeer immigration, is there going to be problems? If an illegal elf rapes an American woman, are all the elves who immigrated to America going to be under attack? How will Hilary Clinton propose to address the elves, we might hurt they're feelings by calling them elves; because that name implies that they are alive just as child slaves who make toys for the white man. Isn't it racist that we haven't installed special elf access toilets? What gender should we address the working elves who may cross-dress or "experiment", I mean it is a closed economy; that North Pole.

I mean common people.

Fynn
11-15-2016, 06:02 AM
Wow

Way to make a nice lighthearted thread be about politics, bro

jenovajunkie
11-15-2016, 07:58 AM
But it's not. ?

It's just a lame joke.

Shauna
11-15-2016, 09:21 AM
Santa...?

http://static.zerochan.net/Santa.(999).full.1431900.jpg

Old Manus
11-15-2016, 10:07 AM
That one Tim Allen movie ruined every person's spelling of Santa Claus forever.

Bri
11-15-2016, 12:44 PM
I thank my parents for making me believe in Santa as a child because it made everything about Christmas fun and magical. Now that I have my own kids I do the same for my them because I want them to enjoy their childhood and have fun especially when it come to Christmas and Santa.

Bubba
11-15-2016, 12:56 PM
santa claus, or santa clause?

That one Tim Allen movie ruined every person's spelling of Santa Claus forever.

Crap, my bad.

Vasher
11-19-2016, 09:45 AM
There is more to it than the magic. It's about developing faith in something that has yet to be garnered/achieved/realized, the "intangible". This sets them up for success. Also, once they realize the lengths that their parents went to in order create and maintain the illusion, they will have a greater understanding of how much they were/are loved, and will have greater capability in showing another person how special they are to them.

jenovajunkie
11-20-2016, 12:45 AM
That's the idea behind it, but like anything; people's understanding of concepts vary greatly.

maybee
11-20-2016, 10:05 AM
Team Nope here ! We teach our children not to lie, create and fabricate stories, be honest, and be truthful and then we turn around and share stories to them about a overweight old man who only works one day a year and has a reindeer with a red glowy nose. Seems so hypocritical.

I don't know how harmful it can be though, because over here Santa in the mall is Samoan one year, Hawaiian the next, then European, then British. Worked it out it was all fake when I was about seven because of this. :lol:

jenovajunkie
11-20-2016, 08:41 PM
Well it is a bit hypocritical, deceiving your kids to induce good behaviour? But what happens when we cast our kids out with other kids, whom do believe in Santa? It may be that the concept and idea of parenting is something a lot of kids really don't understand (and parents to be honest). You don't own your child, that's something a lot of mother's don't understand.

Mr. Carnelian
11-20-2016, 09:50 PM
I'm not sure whether I would actually TELL a child that Santa was real - lies to children should be kept to a minimum, I feel -, but then I would never tell them that Santa wasn't real, either. They'll work it out for themselves when they're ready.

jenovajunkie
11-20-2016, 11:54 PM
Above is probably the best way to go about it.

Night Fury
11-21-2016, 04:08 PM
I'll be telling my kids about Santa, the Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny.

They're only kids once and having magic in their lives is... well, magical. I grew up this way and I don't resent my parents for lying to me or anything like that. I thank them for making the holidays special.

Psychotic
11-21-2016, 05:40 PM
Is lying to children immoral? Pfft, Santa is only going to be the start of the web of deception I weave. I'm telling my kids I'm a retired astronaut and have been to the moon, that doing chores brings you good luck and that 99% of chocolate is only made for dads so I couldn't possibly share.

Fynn
11-21-2016, 05:42 PM
Is lying to children immoral? Pfft, Santa is only going to be the start of the web of deception I weave. I'm telling my kids I'm a retired astronaut and have been to the moon, that doing chores brings you good luck and that 99% of chocolate is only made for dads so I couldn't possibly share.

You should also drop tiny hints that you're actually a secret millionnaire and disappoint them when they grow up and it turns out you're not

Freya
11-21-2016, 07:23 PM

They're only kids once and having magic in their lives is... well, magical. I grew up this way and I don't resent my parents for lying to me or anything like that. I thank them for making the holidays special.
This! Being a kid is magical, once that innocence is lost it's just not the same. Why not let them have a belief that the world is special while they can :D

Del Murder
11-21-2016, 08:26 PM
We'll do Santa, but we want to incorporate him into a greater meaning of giving during the holidays. We plan to have them pick out toys that will be given to less fortunate children so that they understand the concept of giving. As part of the overall giving process, Santa will visit them and give them some stuff too. So Santa will be someone who encourages giving by giving a lot himself instead of just some magic red guy who gives them free stuff regardless of how they behave (because let's face it that 'be good all year or Santa won't come' is a total bluff).

BreakfastGrilledCheese
11-21-2016, 09:27 PM
I'm not sure whether I would actually TELL a child that Santa was real - lies to children should be kept to a minimum, I feel -, but then I would never tell them that Santa wasn't real, either. They'll work it out for themselves when they're ready.

I feel like this is how my art professors handle every question ever asked.

Me: "Is Santa real?"
Professor: "Do YOU think Santa is real?"
Me: "I don't know... that's why I asked you."
Professor: "Yeah, but.... Is it important if Santa is or isn't real?"
Me: "..."
Professor: "..."
Me: "I don't want to know anymore."
Professor: "Excellent."

jenovajunkie
11-21-2016, 11:57 PM
I feel like this is how my art professors handle every question ever asked.

Me: "Is Santa real?"
Professor: "Do YOU think Santa is real?"
Me: "I don't know... that's why I asked you."
Professor: "Yeah, but.... Is it important if Santa is or isn't real?"
Me: "..."
Professor: "..."
Me: "I don't want to know anymore."
Professor: "Excellent."

Ahahahahaha, that seems more like the response a professor would give on a more complex existential problem.

Although I think I may start to apply this technique.

Lying to young kids about Santa isn't that big of a deal, as long as you don't over-do it. You don't have to lie to them per se, like religion is used in a bunch of good ways; as far as we know that could be a lie.

These are little kids, so use your discretion.

Night Fury
11-22-2016, 03:28 AM

This! Being a kid is magical, once that innocence is lost it's just not the same. Why not let them have a belief that the world is special while they can :D

To be honest my kids are going to be sick of me after a few Christmases because I'm going to be that Mom who makes them make loads of Christmas crafts that get hung around the house and then kept forever. I'll be making them watch all the classic Christmas movies and everything :D :D :D

They're gonna hit 10 and be like "I'M NOT MAKING ANOTHER TOILET ROLL TUBE WREATH MOM!"

:D

ahhh kids!

LovelessFirefly6
11-22-2016, 07:38 AM
I'm going to do santa for my kids. my auntie doesn't do it for her kids, they don't do the tooth fairy or the easter bunny either. All those two kids do is go around telling ALL the other kids that believe in santa that he isn't real, it makes a lot of other parents mad. I think its important that children believe in something that they cant see so they learn to have faith in something that isnt physical, even though im not one bit religious. it is an essential part of childhood IMO

jenovajunkie
11-22-2016, 08:44 AM
Let the chaos begin. I wonder if your aunts kids will listen to NWA when they're older, haha.

maybee
11-22-2016, 10:33 AM

I actually fucking love this idea. So clever.

Rocket Edge
11-22-2016, 06:39 PM
I don't see either side of it at all. Of course you want to be truthful to your kids but they will figure out that Santa isn't real in their own time (or if you want to tell them when they're not kids anymore) and I guarantee they'll be thankful you played along. When I believed in Santa it was the best feeling ever on Christmas day when he came around. Little me would have been devastated if my parents told me, as well as making the whole event of Christmas much less magical and much more dull.

LovelessFirefly6
11-22-2016, 07:04 PM
Let the chaos begin. I wonder if your aunts kids will listen to NWA when they're older, haha.

LMFAOOOOOO I CAN SEE IT

jenovajunkie
11-22-2016, 10:16 PM

LMFAOOOOOO I CAN SEE IT
:lol:
Haha I thought I would be the only one to get that! I also expected some backlash from team EoFF, since they've been on my case as of late.

Christmas
12-03-2016, 05:04 AM
http://orig10.deviantart.net/4378/f/2014/268/9/e/the_real_santa_s_workshop__by_master_user-d80i8tw.jpg