PDA

View Full Version : Arrival

Del Murder
11-21-2016, 05:00 PM
You all should see this. It's really good. It's hard to say why without giving away spoilers. I feel like even hinting it is a spoiler. Nonetheless, this is not your typical alien invasion movie.

Basically the movie changes its whole direction on you 2/3 the way in, and you realize you are watching a different story than you thought you were.

charliepanayi
11-21-2016, 05:27 PM
It is very good, and Amy Adams is (as usual) fantastic.

Miriel
11-22-2016, 09:51 PM
I thought it was a masterpiece. Visually stunning, the score was outrageously good, and I smurfing loved that it was a female linguist at the center of the film. It was really smart and thoughtful and I loved how ultimately, it was a hopeful movie even though it basically made me weep from the first scene and throughout the entire last few minutes. I loved that it was scientists and professionals coming together to figure this all out and it's take on the future of humanity was fairly optimistic. One of my favorite scenes of the ENTIRE thing was the main character describing sentence structure and the complexities of language on a white board. How often do you get to see stuff like that?! Amazing.

It reminded me a lot of Kurt Vonnegut's masterful work. And the final act of the movie was in my opinion, absolutely jaw dropping. It was in a word, a revelation.

Rocket Edge
11-22-2016, 10:17 PM
I really like the director Villenuenve or however you spell his name. Prisoners is one of my favourites from the last few years & I loved Incendies & Sicario too. Going to see it this week.

McLovin'
11-25-2016, 08:07 AM
Read the short story that this based off of guys. You'll fulfil that craving to get more from this movie. Stories of your life and others by Ted Chiang.

sharkythesharkdogg
11-29-2016, 06:09 PM
This looked interesting, but they absolutely won't stop advertising for it. So that has annoyed me.

Since people seem to like it, I'll still check it out. The hype seems to be real.