PDA

View Full Version : who want 2006-2013 version back?

Learii
12-01-2016, 07:35 PM
i rather play 2013 XV Version then the one we got now, back in 2006 Final Fantasy Versus XIII the very first trailer they put up that epic scene where Noctis vs thousand solders alone that was the reason why so many people got excited about the game then there Stella the heroine suppose to be in the game plus there was a battle scene between Noctis and Stella and in this old one Noctis can use tank and ride robot too. But then Square Enix remove Tetsuya Normura from XV to KH3 and let Haijme Tabasta take over XV and he change everything and remove all the cool stuffs and replace Stella with Luna, change the storyline, remove the party part, remove Noctis's driver too and ofcourse Noctis's face as well.

I was so mad that all that stuffs are gone just because 1 person if Tetsuya was still working on XV we should get an epic Final Fantasy XV game i bet

Fynn
12-01-2016, 07:44 PM
I'm pretty sure Nomura only had some concepts and was too busy with other projects to really develop it, which is why Tabata stepped in. Whatever the fans envisioned VSXIII would have been, it simply would never have happened. We knew nothing and anything built up around that was just pure speculation.

I believe that development of the game didn't start until around 2013. Remember there was a time where Tabata was co-director with Nomura. Pretty sure that's where they actually started working on the story. I'm betting anyone who believes Nomura had some big huge vision for the game's story in mind from the get-go is sorely mistaken, IMO

So no, I don't want that fictional game instead because it never happened and never would have happened. It was a mistake to reveal the concept so early because it evidently wasn't workshopped and people wouldn't have unfairly compared the two versions had they waited. Nobody complains about not getting the "original" FFVII where there was no Tifa - because that game got revealed when they had something more tangible than a concept trailer.

Del Murder
12-01-2016, 08:18 PM
I was never that interested in Versus but like Fynn says we probably would have never gotten it out of Nomura's head.

Scotty_ffgamer
12-01-2016, 09:01 PM
I can understand liking the concepts better than what we got (then again, I'm not far enough to know of any of those scenes are in the game). The original trailers looked exciting. I'm with Fynn though, they were just concepts with a few ambitious statements by someone who probably wasn't actually actively working on it.

I'm glad we got a game in the end rather than it just getting cancelled which is probably what would have happened with Nomura.

Slothy
12-01-2016, 09:21 PM
I honestly can't see wanting the stuff shown prior to Tabata taking over since they barely showed anything aside from some prerendered concept videos and I honestly don't think Nomura really got anything done up until that point. If he had anything actually figured out prior to that then he had a good six years to make a game out of them and in the end they had nothing to really show for those six years aside from some character designs, names, and a few videos. Honestly if it's not Kingdom Hearts related I think he's one of the least productive game developers I've ever seen. Expect the FFVII remake for PS6 in 2030.

If he was actually working on it that long with a team and had so little to show for it I'd say he's lucky he still has a job but it's Japan we're talking about so he'd have to literally bankrupt the company to get the boot (hi sakaguchi! :exdee:)

Fynn
12-02-2016, 04:49 AM
I don't think it's actually Nomura's fault for being unproductive, since he's actually always doing a crap-ton of stuff for SE (character designs for all FFs aside, he's been working on the VII remake for longer than we think, and he's been involved in all of the KH games we've had since the Versus trailers). I think it's the fault of the higher-ups who were pushing for this FNC gimmick to make people interested. Nomura may have had one, vague, creative idea for it and they were all like "okay, quick, make a trailer for that and we're doing it" and proceeded to hype fans way more than expected. Except they forgot to give Nomura more time to actually handle it. Remember that KH is SE's current biggest cash cow, and he's been managing it all this time. So it's not really safe to say he should be fired since I really don't think the Versus thing was his fault - at least not as much his fault as the company's management at the time (which, as we all remember, made pretty much all the worst decisions at that point).

Mirage
12-02-2016, 08:41 AM
i don't really think the 06-13 version actually existed.

Fox
12-02-2016, 08:45 AM
I think it's fair to say that Nomura's Vs XIII was arguably a potentially more interesting concept, although it's not really fair to say it was better or anything like that as we never got to play it. I mean the most substantial thing we got was that one un-voiced cutscene between Stella and Noct, right? Hardly much to go on.

Which is one conversation more than Luna and Noct in the actual game, so on that front yes, I kinda want Versus XIII back

Jinx
12-02-2016, 05:51 PM
I was always more interested in vsXIII than XIII. Granted, we didn't really know much about vsXIII, but it held a lot more interest for me than XV ever did.

I still think turning vsXIII into XV was fucking lazy.

Wolf Kanno
12-02-2016, 06:05 PM
We would probably still be waiting for vXIII if it still existed. I think the only element I missed from the original concept was the whole mafia angle, but the more I think about it, the more it probably would have came out like Shin-Ra where they are called an evil corporation but in all honesty, they're your typical evil empire in the game.

Aulayna
12-03-2016, 01:09 PM
i rather play 2013 XV Version then the one we got now, back in 2006 Final Fantasy Versus XIII the very first trailer they put up that epic scene where Noctis vs thousand solders alone that was the reason why so many people got excited about the game then there Stella the heroine suppose to be in the game plus there was a battle scene between Noctis and Stella and in this old one Noctis can use tank and ride robot too. But then Square Enix remove Tetsuya Normura from XV to KH3 and let Haijme Tabasta take over XV and he change everything and remove all the cool stuffs and replace Stella with Luna, change the storyline, remove the party part, remove Noctis's driver too and ofcourse Noctis's face as well.

I was so mad that all that stuffs are gone just because 1 person if Tetsuya was still working on XV we should get an epic Final Fantasy XV game i bet

No-one ever actually played Versus XIII. All we got were some trailers that varied wildly in terms of content and game systems shown. Noctis and Stella never actually fought each other, they were just shown to be at odds at one point. While I too originally lamented the loss of Stella, the reality is Lunafreya is a damn good character. As for not being able to ride in things, I'm only a few chapters into FFXV but I've already had the opportunity to use a turret to mow down Niff soldiers as well as using a Gatling gun in battle. I'm fairly sure the changes to the character design happened before Tabata took over.

There's no guarantee we would've got an epic Final Fantasy XV if Nomura remained in charge. The last AAA home console game Nomura shipped was Kingdom Hearts II back in 2006 - 10 fucking years ago! Not a single Final Fantasy game that has been released, to this date, has been directed Nomura (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetsuya_Nomura#Works).

Given Nomura's track record as a game director for AAA home console titles, I'll be surprised if we see the FFVII remake before 2027 and Kingdom Hearts III before 2018-2019.

FFXV has flaws, sure. But so do most Final Fantasy games. It's still a pretty epic game.

Oh, also, remember Final Fantasy All The Bravest (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_All_the_Bravest)? Pretty much the one mobile title that's viewed as a universal insult to fans of the FF franchise, and one of the worst monetisations ever? Guess who came up with the concept and creative vision of that game? Yep, Tetsuya Nomura.

Remember that KH is SE's current biggest cash cow, and he's been managing it all this time.

But, it's not?

I mean I adore Kingdom Hearts, but realistically it's not their biggest cash cow by any means.

In sales (http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Best_selling_Square-Enix_games) alone Kingdom Hearts is their 7th top selling game, Kingdom Hearts II is the 10th. The rest of the top 10 is all Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest. In terms of all-platform franchise sales, Tomb Raider is above Kingdom Hearts.

Then you have to consider that Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn almost single-handedly (http://www.craveonline.com/site/641545-square-enix-reports-comeback-profit-thanks-to-final-fantasy-xiv-a-realm-reborn) returned the company to profit.

A lot of Square Enix's revenue these days is coming from the PC market (http://www.gamespot.com/articles/square-enix-profits-surge-thanks-to-mobile-and-pc-/1100-6434488/) and the mobile (http://toucharcade.com/2015/08/11/square-enixs-profit-report-proves-that-shifting-from-console-games-to-mobile-games-was-the-right-move/) market. Sure, there's Kingdom Hearts Unchained Chi, but at the same time there's Mobius Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy Record Keeper, Final Fantasy Brave Exvius, Lara Croft GO, Hitman GO etc and even an upcoming Bravely Default mobile title. Most of these are being made by third-parties, so it's likely SE isn't even getting the full share of the profit from them.

(Let's not even go into the absolute convoluted mess of KH's story either, despite that being a massive elephant in the room when it comes to Nomura's cred as director)

-------------------------------

TL;DR: Nomura is a fantastic character designer but hardly has a stellar record as a Director. So there's no guarantee, or even certainty, than the 2006-2013 version would've been any better than what we got from Tabata.

Fynn
12-03-2016, 04:42 PM
Seriously, am I the only person in the world that has no trouble at all following the KH storyline? :p

Mirage
12-03-2016, 04:52 PM
You can think it's a convoluted mess even if you manage to follow it

Sephiroth
12-03-2016, 05:13 PM
Kingdom Hearts has a storyline that is easily followed. The problem is that it introduces 10 concepts in every new entry that is paradoxical because of the usage of certain ambigious words of psychlólogical nature and the fact that it contradicts those concepts and I do not talk about retconnings. Those are there as well - and I have no problem with them. Some of them are even hilarious.

Del Murder
12-03-2016, 08:06 PM
Seriously, am I the only person in the world that has no trouble at all following the KH storyline? :p
I was good up until DDD. None of that made any sense.

Fynn
12-03-2016, 09:15 PM
Says you! Made perfect sense to me.

Del Murder
12-03-2016, 10:01 PM
Maybe I just didn't pay attention because it wasn't all that engaging.