PDA

View Full Version : Name a game or game series you hated but everyone else loved

FFNut
12-07-2016, 03:14 AM
Hey everyone, what is one game or series that you hated, yet everyone else around you loved.

For or me it is Mass Effect. I enjoy other BioWare titles, but Mass Effect series does nothing for me. Twice I have tried to play it. Got forced my way through the first one, second one I dropped rather quickly. I was done with it. 3rd one the same. It just didn't interest me much.

What at about you guys and girls? What is the one title or series that did nothing for you?

Squall Leonhart Loire
12-07-2016, 03:33 AM
Dragon Age. Was very dry and boring for me....

Loony BoB
12-07-2016, 05:19 PM
I love Pokemon. The game. As in, that one game - perhaps two games - that I could easily have condensed the entire bloody series down to. xD I don't hate the game but I loathe the series.

Wolf Kanno
12-07-2016, 07:54 PM
Final Fantasy VII and X are the obvious choices. The Tales of franchise is one I've never been able to get into either but most JRPG fans adore the series.

maybee
12-08-2016, 02:01 PM
Grand Theft Auto

Call Of Duty

World Of Warcraft

Banjo Kazooie

Witcher Series

Skyrim

Fynn
12-08-2016, 02:07 PM
Final Fantasy X, though I guess "hate" is a strong word.

But why Ace Attorney is as popular as it is is just beyond me.

maybee
12-08-2016, 02:13 PM
But why Ace Attorney is as popular as it is is just beyond me.

* looks at signature and avatar *

http://media.tumblr.com/4cb5f654fdf8eeeb3d6a7dc2e46b1477/tumblr_inline_mrti3qvgAA1qz4rgp.gif

Fynn
12-08-2016, 02:17 PM
You're awesome, so you get a pass

Psychotic
12-08-2016, 02:39 PM
Could not bring myself to play Ocarina of Time much - I got up until just past becoming an adult. This may be because I played it this year rather than as a kid like most people but yeah, oh dear, not all that fun. I tried!

Fynn
12-08-2016, 02:48 PM
Ugh, agreed. I mean, I beat it and I liked it overall, but it's waaaaay overrated

Freya
12-08-2016, 02:57 PM
Dead Space. Nope. Nopity. This may be cause I'm a scardey cat.

Civilization. I've tried sooo much. I really like RTS's but the 4X games I just cannot do.

Aulayna
12-08-2016, 03:15 PM
Final Fantasy Type-0

Psychotic
12-08-2016, 03:31 PM
Final Fantasy Type-0Was it loved?

Fynn
12-08-2016, 03:34 PM
Yeah, I always thought people were pretty meh about it

Aulayna
12-08-2016, 03:49 PM
Yeah I got the thread the wrong way around :p

wotever!

Lyndis Highwind
12-08-2016, 04:04 PM
I wouldn't say I hate it, but I could just never get into the Metroid series. My older siblings love it, but I could never get into it.

Pumpkin
12-08-2016, 04:21 PM
Chrono Cross and Super Mario RPG are the two biggest ones that come to mind

Fynn
12-08-2016, 05:03 PM
Yeah, I never cared much for SM RPG either

The Mario and Luigi RPG series on the other hand...

FFNut
12-08-2016, 05:28 PM
Though enjoying super Mario RPG being the youngest sibling I was always player 2 thus a massive Luigi fan. Him not being in it was a strike against the game I thought.

Fynn what hat are the other Mario and Luigi RPG's and what system. Would love to give them a go.

Fynn
12-08-2016, 05:35 PM
I think there's five installments as of now, but only one really stands out, imo. The GBA had Superstar Saga, then for the DS there were Partners in Time and Bowser's Inside Story (one of my favorite games of all time), and then on the 3DS you have Dream Team Bros. and Paper Jam.

Del Murder
12-08-2016, 05:52 PM
I wasn't keen on the Persona series but I'm liking P4G so far. It's weird though because it's almost exactly the same experience as P3 (though I'm sure a hardcore fan can rattle off all the differences). What probably changed was myself as a gamer, where my lifestyle lends itself more to playing games in short bursts and don't require my undivided attention so a slower-paced RPG focused daily events syncs well with this.

Yar
12-08-2016, 06:23 PM
Probably the Fallout series. I've bought a couple of them but just never liked them. I wouldn't say hate, though.

Which is weird because I love the Elder Scrolls. But Fallout was always boring to me and I didn't like some of the mechanics, like the fights in slowed time.

FFNut
12-08-2016, 06:59 PM
I think there's five installments as of now, but only one really stands out, imo. The GBA had Superstar Saga, then for the DS there were Partners in Time and Bowser's Inside Story (one of my favorite games of all time), and then on the 3DS you have Dream Team Bros. and Paper Jam.

Sounds awesome Fynn. Will need to emulate them so I will grab the two for the advance tonight and put them on my backlog. Kinda committed to doing Tecmo Secret of the Stars next as I am wanting to know if I gave it a bad review or not. Remeber that time pushing it aside for both Chrono Trigger, and Breath of Fire II at the time I played it last. Probably didn't give it the attention it deserved. We will see.

Galuf
12-08-2016, 07:49 PM
Type 0 was loved when it wasnt out in the west lolm I heard people say it was the best ff ever lol

Wolf Kanno
12-08-2016, 09:31 PM
Thought of another one, Valkyria Chronicles, love the art direction and the concept, hate the story, the characters, the awful interface, and even the combat has issues. Yet everyone and their mother seems to act like it was the best JRPG to come out last gen.

Forsaken Lover
12-08-2016, 11:33 PM
Dragon Age Inquisition. What a frickin' mess of a game.

Planescape Torment. It is an actively anti-fun game to play.

Formalhaut
12-08-2016, 11:46 PM

Ooooh, do tell. I mean, I like it overall, but I agree it has issues. Maybe our issues are the same? As for myself, I could never get horror games of any kind. Way too scary. I also find sport games like Fifa very underwhelming. I mean, I like sport, but ugh they are no fun. Yet they get massive sales every year. I attempted Ocarina of Time, but stopped about a third through. It just didn't grab me. I'm not sure if there was a lack of urgency in the story but.. I don't know. Might try again with it, because I feel as if Zelda is a series I would like.

Wolf Kanno
12-08-2016, 11:54 PM
Ocarina of Time is a bit too scripted and small of a title to really appreciate the series. I would honestly start with Link to the Past because it's a nice in-between from the original Legend of Zelda (the original open world game) and the more scripted Ocarina of Time. Twilight Princess is also a good choice thanks to the excellent characters in it.

Forsaken Lover
12-08-2016, 11:58 PM

Ooooh, do tell. I mean, I like it overall, but I agree it has issues. Maybe our issues are the same?

Corypheus was interesting in concept, poor in execution. The idea of a guy out of time and so devastated by the loss of his deity that he resolves to become god himself because that's the only way to make sense of the world is very, very interesting. A nice and unique take on "villain attempts godhood" cliche.

Only...Cory isn't around enough. After Haven, it's a long string of defeats until the ultimate climax is he impotently does something and then we go and smack him down.

And of course
It's revealed Solas is the true villain. The end of Trespasser is the real end of Inquisition, Cory a distant, pathetic memory.

And Corypheus' existence alone is a huge problem. It trivializes the Mage-Templar stuff and makes it all pointless. Did you know we were actaully supposed to be able to go around the conclave and talk to people? But someone was like "BORING! LET'S START THE GAME WITH A BIG EXPLOSION!"

The Breach being sealed not even halfway into the game is also kinda dumb IMO.

FFNut
12-09-2016, 12:05 AM

Ooooh, do tell. I mean, I like it overall, but I agree it has issues. Maybe our issues are the same? As for myself, I could never get horror games of any kind. Way too scary. I also find sport games like Fifa very underwhelming. I mean, I like sport, but ugh they are no fun. Yet they get massive sales every year. I attempted Ocarina of Time, but stopped about a third through. It just didn't grab me. I'm not sure if there was a lack of urgency in the story but.. I don't know. Might try again with it, because I feel as if Zelda is a series I would like.

As as for sports games myself I buy the hockey every year. For me it's the GM modes with all the new rosters that make me buy them. To be honest I sim 99% of my teams games.

Vermachtnis
12-09-2016, 04:38 AM
Terraria, I just can't get into it. In my circle of friends, they loved this game and played the crap out of it. We played together a couple of times, but I just couldn't get going.

And Final Fantasy VIII is really popular. And I just don't get it. I like, like three of the main characters. The music is good, but everything else is just not for me. And my cousin has VIII as his favorite in the series.

Pete for President
12-09-2016, 09:15 AM
People say i'm nuts for hating Red Dead Redemption. The setting and messing around doing cowboy things was cool at first but in the end all you're doing is shooting dots and following lines on the minimap. I hate how story characters just appear as a symbol on the map as opposed to getting introduced through connections like in GTA3, and then there's some handholding and restricted freedom in missions and what not. Sandbox, but not really a sandbox.

Sephiroth
12-09-2016, 09:18 AM
First person Shooters of all kinds and names?

Aulayna
12-09-2016, 12:16 PM
Actually doing the thread right this time. A game I didn't like that everyone and their dog seems to have loved: The Last of Us.

Sephiroth
12-09-2016, 01:19 PM
Depending on how it is meant, I understannd that complaint. The game's concept could be vastly improved. All those fighting scenes.

Night Fury
12-09-2016, 01:44 PM
Resident Evil and Monster Hunter

Fox
12-09-2016, 01:59 PM
+ 1 on Monster Hunter. It's just... so... grindy....

I hate grind for the sake of it, which brings me onto my next example: Diablo!

Sephiroth
12-09-2016, 02:03 PM
Never understood the appeal of Monster Hunter or empty-ass games like Shadow of the Collosus. I mean, granted, I played Shadow of the Collosus a bit. I understood some appeal. But that is not enough for the game in my opinion. Also that damn horse that was secretly a tank.

Oh, and I pretty much hate Heavy Rain. Not hate as in "burn in hell" as I really like Cinematic Movie games and I can at least play it, I don't know, once in a year, but I really want to like this game and it still disappoints me on so many levels. Beyond Two Souls and life is Strange are my choices of Cinematic Movie games that I would marry.

DMKA
12-10-2016, 12:59 AM
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/mother/src/covers/eb.png

maybee
12-10-2016, 01:24 AM
Speaking of Zelda, yeah can't stand Link To The Past, just found it tedious and Link Between Worlds improved on all it's flaws. OOT I haven't played, but I have watched a ton of Lets Plays on it and it just seems really hollow. It looks like it might of been fun and adventurous to play in the mid-90s, but it's definitely not Best Game Ever Made.

Jinx
12-10-2016, 06:01 PM
Shadow of the Colossus. Biggest fucking waste of time EVER.

Raistlin
12-10-2016, 06:10 PM
Ace Attorney. The entire series. I just don't get it at all.

FFX.

And this really only applies to here, because it's appropriately rated everywhere else: I think FFIX is overrated. (I didn't hate it, just didn't love it)

Aerith's Knight
12-11-2016, 09:21 AM
Actually doing the thread right this time. A game I didn't like that everyone and their dog seems to have loved: The Last of Us.

I'm even willing to extend it to ALL movie simulator games. Bloody boring game on rails. Maybe watch an LP of it, if I feel like it, but playing it? Pfaw, no.

Slothy
12-11-2016, 02:57 PM
I hate Resident Evil 4 with a passion. It was a stones through away from being great and managed to fuck up every single mechanic that needed to be great for it to be an amazing game. Dead Space is the game RE4 could have been had they tried harder.

escobert
12-11-2016, 04:48 PM
Mario and Halo.

Forsaken Lover
12-12-2016, 05:14 AM
How could I forget goddam Star Ocean: Till the End of Time.

It's the worst JRPG I've ever played yet I went in hearing nothing but praise.

NeoCracker
12-12-2016, 06:11 AM
Is there anyone surprised that I'm going to say Xenogears?

Cause that one.

Also throw me in with not liking Tales. I had fun with Destiny, but that was it.

Wolf Kanno
12-12-2016, 07:35 AM

I don't know where you're hearing that from, since most SO fans I know hate it or at least try to pretend it doesn't exist. Course most SO fans I know like to pretend the series just ended with SO2.

Fox
12-12-2016, 07:53 AM

I don't know where you're hearing that from, since most SO fans I know hate it or at least try to pretend it doesn't exist. Course most SO fans I know like to pretend the series just ended with SO2.

Funny, most SO fans I know (including me) say Till the End of Time is the best one they made, and it's 4 and 5 that don't exist.

TTEOT does have the worst plot device in the history of anything though. That much I will certainly admit!

krissy
12-12-2016, 02:37 PM
Is there anyone surprised that I'm going to say Xenogears?

Cause that one.

Also throw me in with not liking Tales. I had fun with Destiny, but that was it.

xenogears had the worst battle system
it literally turned me off everything
and like
don't switching between sprite and 3d models in battles its bs
i either want to play fft or friggin omega boost but not both
i agree w xenogears
i got to the desert town like twice and then said 'oh a fighting competition. goodbye'

Scruffington
12-12-2016, 04:31 PM
I spent 5 minutes typing out my response to games I loved that everyone else hated, and then realized that I had the thread title backwards. Whoops.

I can't think of too many examples of this. The only game I can think of is Tales of Xillia 2. I loved the first one, and thought the sequel was a huge letdown. Couldn't even make it 5 hours in. Which is weird because a lot of people seemed to like that game.

Fox
12-12-2016, 04:35 PM
I spent 5 minutes typing out my response to games I loved that everyone else hated, and then realized that I had the thread title backwards. Whoops.

I can't think of too many examples of this. The only game I can think of is Tales of Xillia 2. I loved the first one, and thought the sequel was a huge letdown. Couldn't even make it 5 hours in. Which is weird because a lot of people seemed to like that game.

I had the same issue with Xillia 2 to a lesser extent. It did some nice things mechanically and it was nice to see Milla and Jude again. What really infuriated me was how Ludger had a really interesting story but then they ruined it by making him a silent protagonist!

Same issue but even more so? Xenoblade Chronicles X. Probably my biggest letdown of the past 5 years other than FFXV. Just so much worse than the original Xenoblade Chronicles in every way (once again, Silent Protagonists are the worst​).

Scruffington
12-12-2016, 04:40 PM
I had the same issue with Xillia 2 to a lesser extent. It did some nice things mechanically and it was nice to see Milla and Jude again. What really infuriated me was how Ludger had a really interesting story but then they ruined it by making him a silent protagonist!

Same issue but even more so? Xenoblade Chronicles X. Probably my biggest letdown of the past 5 years other than FFXV. Just so much worse than the original Xenoblade Chronicles in every way (once again, Silent Protagonists are the worst​).

Is Xenoblade Chronicles X really that bad? A guy I knew really enjoyed it. He played both X and the original. I haven't played either, but I've listened to some of the soundtrack of X and really liked it.

Hopefully they port X or both games to the Switch. I'll definitely give them a try.

Fynn
12-12-2016, 04:48 PM
Xenoblade Chronicles is so far my favorite game of all time. X was fine, but I can only play the Wii U when I visit my brother, so I don't get to play it often. But other than the tiny font that I can't read even when I'm wearing my super ultra +2 glasses, it was pretty dang cool.

And shut up, Fox, silent protagonists can totally work :p Take a look at Chrono Trigger. Or heck, any DQ game. All terrific games.

Fox
12-12-2016, 04:50 PM

Is Xenoblade Chronicles X really that bad? A guy I knew really enjoyed it. He played both X and the original. I haven't played either, but I've listened to some of the soundtrack of X and really liked it.

Hopefully they port X or both games to the Switch. I'll definitely give them a try.

For me it's like XV. They make it more MMO-y and quest based and completely compromise the story side of things. For example in the original Xenoblade your main character is a dude called Shulk. He finds a sword with the power to destroy the mechanical enemies that attack his town, goes on a quest for vengeance/justice/save the world and so on and so forth.

In Xenoblade X you play as INSERT YOUR NAME HERE who is a new recruit in the Defence Force who tags along with more interesting characters as they do the plot. Rather than giving your character any dialogue, every time you need to say something the entire game stops and you get a dialogue option. Which will quite often be something like this:

Option 1: Nod
Option 2: Shake your head

Honestly, you know how bad it is with Ludger in Xillia 2? Multiply that annoyance by 10 and that's Xenoblade X.

And shut up, Fox, silent protagonists can totally work http://home.eyesonff.com/images/eoff_smilies/tongue.gif Take a look at Chrono Trigger. Or heck, any DQ game. All terrific games.

Silent protagonists are all various degrees of suck. ;)

Some suck less than others. Gordon Freeman? Doesn't suck too much. Half Life still fantastic despite this. Ludger from Xillia 2? Sucks a lot. Drastically reduces the quality of the game.

Fynn
12-12-2016, 04:51 PM
Jesus, Fox! Again, who hurt you? :p

Fox
12-12-2016, 04:54 PM
Jesus, Fox! Again, who hurt you? :p

Every silent protagonist ever :jess:

Spuuky
12-12-2016, 06:52 PM
Oblivion and Fallout 3.

Wolf Kanno
12-12-2016, 07:44 PM
This just came up as well: Smash Brothers, it's not so much I "hate" it, as much as it's just not really my thing but many of my friends are obsessed with it and only want to play it. I have a similar issue with World of Warcraft.

Fynn
12-12-2016, 07:47 PM
I kinda agree? I love playing it with my brother, but the hype is waaaaay out of proportion

FFNut
12-12-2016, 08:00 PM
I wonder if that's why I hate Secret of Mana. Every review people give for it was I loved playing with my brother/best friend in the battles. I always attempted it solo. The music is good, but I just never had love for the game itself. Going to attempt it again next year though.

krissy
12-12-2016, 08:34 PM
yeah secret of mana is great with two people
with one person it's kind of boring

NeoCracker
12-13-2016, 05:30 AM

Its not the X was bad, it's that it was fundamentally a different experience. The first game was a focus on characters and their interactions, a grand story, exploration, and a tightly focuses single player experience.

X dropped a lot of it's focus on story in favor of including many more online aspects, and as a result you didn't get the more unique characters (In or out of battle, class determins abilites) and a lot of MMO type things started creeping in.

Bubba
12-14-2016, 04:42 PM
Anything by Bethesda. Skyrim, Fallout etc...

BreakfastGrilledCheese
12-15-2016, 04:48 AM

Tales of Xillia 2 made me miserable, because I just couldn't get in to it which is SUCH a SHAME because it is a beautiful game to look at! Even though I felt like I was in familiar territory, I just couldn't connect with the story at all. I makes so sad that I couldn't because it has great ratings!

I can't get in to any of the Zelda games. I bought Ocarina of Time for the 3DS so I could try to experience the joy that gives angels their wings, but I just don't see it. It isn't a BAD game. I just think the controls are poop or maybe I'm just poop at using them. Either way - poop.

FFVII
The Metal Gear series
Phoenix Wright series
Call of Duty
Just about any new Mario game that isn't Cart of Smash

Squall Leonhart Loire
12-25-2016, 05:57 PM
New game to add to my list - Final Fantasy XV

Scruffington
12-26-2016, 05:49 PM
New game to add to my list - Final Fantasy XV

I don't think too many people love FFXV. It has a lot of great aspects, and I look forward to playing through the story DLCs, but I think the universal opinion is that it's a really disappointing game.

Loony BoB
12-29-2016, 06:25 PM
That's actually very inaccurate. xD FFXV has been given better ratings than XII and XIII, and is generally regarded as a good, successful game. I can think of 2-3 people who disagree, but yeah. It certainly won't please everyone.

FinalxxSin
12-31-2016, 09:14 PM
I'm pretty certain the FF mainline series has had very divisive views since at least FFVII. That's not going to change anytime soon.