PDA

View Full Version : So, how about that soundtrack?

Aulayna
12-07-2016, 09:52 PM
It's probably no surprise to anyone that I gush over video game music. I loved Yoko Shimomura's work on FFXV. It's so distinctly her style without sounding overly Kingdom Hearts-esque.

Some highlights:

Prelude
XhwdWmAvo4M
Okay so technically I haven't heard this anywhere other than the Credits on the main menu unlocked after beating the game, but, damn - it's beautiful. Especially when coupled with the in-game footage of the landscape. TEH FEELS!

YOU WERE WARNED ABOUT SPOILERS!

Cleigne Battle Theme
tPCiJkAMxu8
Not gonna lie, if some Niff's show up during the middle of whatever I'm fighting while this music is playing, I really don't mind. It has such a strong beat to it that it makes brawling a blast, even if the gang are getting their asses kicked by stupid Soldier Wasps.

Leide Battle Theme
kunj5Yxw0Ow
See above. Replace Soldier Wasps with Reaper Kings or Coeurls.

Imperial Battle Theme #1
qX6WjuH7dqM
When this plays during the set-pieces with Niff bases etc, I get full on Type-0 feels. Good feels. Good times. Good game.

Chocobo Theme - Running
ax9JF36iEaI
Do-do-do-do-do-du-du-DO-da-doooooo...

Night Field Theme
DU6SBdZ_q7E
The sense of foreboding in this track really encapsulates what it's like when you first feel brave enough to venture out at night despite the game profusely advising you not too. Minutes later you get assaulted by a pack of Daemons and think "I've made a huge mistake."

Fox
12-07-2016, 10:02 PM
It's good! Very good. I think Yoko Shimomura is probably the best choice for the franchise (unless the legend himself wanted to return...) - she has her own style but she also seems to have a lot of respect for Uematsu's themes, and she can write a good melody to boot.

Do I think it's as strong as the soundtracks for VII-X? No, but it is still extremely good, and I think in large part the discrepancy is down to the music not being utilised properly. To Zanarkand is a wonderful piece in its own right, but would it be quite so special if it wasn't played around that campfire? Probably not. If she continues to work on the series in future games, I hope they really take advantage of showcasing her work properly. Certainly I'm much, much happier with Shimomura's soundtrack than Hamauzu's or Sakimoto's.

Two things:

1) I wish she'd rely on the choir a bit less.
2) I adore the way some pieces will transition between an exciting version and a calm version during gameplay.

Squall Leonhart Loire
12-07-2016, 10:07 PM
It's wonderful, especially Veiled in Black. I still prefer Uematsu however.

Loony BoB
12-08-2016, 09:55 AM
I still fawn over Uematsu but something surprised me a bit on the car radio. I actually prefer XII (not so much a surprise) and XIII (more of a surprise) over the likes of Uematsu's work when listening to it on it's own. I feel Uematsu nails the feels in a lot of scenes but the MIDI style and the lack of relevancy in a lot of the tunes didn't really lend itself to car travel. XII & XIII though, man, I played them a lot. I still played a lot of VII mind you.

As for the XV soundtrack itself, I really enjoyed it. I was streaming my playthrough and the music got positive feedback from the whole two people that tuned in. My favourite songs are the chocobo music and the campsite music, but the others are by no means bad and it'll take a lot of time listening to the soundtrack to really define which ones I love most in the long run.

FIy5fCXg9_g
Campsite: It's not great for an ongoing song, but when you reach a haven and you hear that music kick in, it just gives you such as feeling of calm and relief. I always waited a little while there before hitting into the camp button as the music changes to the camping theme rather than the campsite theme. I like having that moment of relaxation.

EDIT: Wow that prelude is utterly beautiful.

Fynn
12-08-2016, 10:27 AM
Oh God, this soundtrack is exquisite. I haven't even played the game, but this is easily one of the series' best. Shimomura really knows what she's doing.

The boss battle themes are especially great, IMO. There's Apocalypsis Noctis, for example, which has been present in like half the trailers

giI1sYmGOBk

I also really like Hellfire (sp?) - especially the final movement! So much energy!

FTQ2fwUOxe0

Kappy
12-08-2016, 11:13 AM
Yeah, Yoko's done a stellar job. I definitely get a Kingdom Hearts vibe on a occasion - especially the Lestallum theme (reminds me of Destiny Islands) and one of the dungeon themes - I think Steyliff Grove

I still miss Uematsu though. He wrote incredibly strong melodies/leitmotifs, and that's what made his FF music iconic. Shimomura doesn't really invest in that side of things.

Loony BoB
12-08-2016, 11:42 AM
Honestly, Uematsu's work in modern games isn't too dramatically different to what other composers put out. When you're dealing with MIDI tracks with no voice-overs and few sound effects, I dare say it's easier for a song to become an iconic tune. But for FFXIV and Lost Odyssey, I wasn't running for the soundtracks. I mean, any more than I was running for the soundtracks of any other modern games.

Fynn
12-08-2016, 11:56 AM
(important to note is the fact that the majority of the soundtrack used in ARR and Heavensward was not composed by Uematsu)

I kinda agree, though. I liked the soundtrack to the Last Story, but it definitely isn't one of my favorites. Shimomura and Hamauzu are probably currently my favorite composers. I'm happy Uematsu is still doing his thing, though

Loony BoB
12-08-2016, 11:58 AM
Aye, I'm referring to the stuff Uematsu had a hand in. Honestly I feel the songs that he didn't create were the ones that stood out more. Both in good and bad ways, mind you!

And yeah, Uematsu is definitely still a great. I just feel that in modern gaming, saying that you miss Uematsu is kinda selling modern composers short. It's really hard to make noticeable music in modern games unless the game has very few, if any, other noises. Journey is a good example of a modern game that has an excellent soundtrack and the reason people notice the music is that there are so few other sound effects at all.

Fox
12-08-2016, 12:16 PM
Honestly, Uematsu's work in modern games isn't too dramatically different to what other composers put out. When you're dealing with MIDI tracks with no voice-overs and few sound effects, I dare say it's easier for a song to become an iconic tune. But for FFXIV and Lost Odyssey, I wasn't running for the soundtracks. I mean, any more than I was running for the soundtracks of any other modern games.

I agree that his work on the PS1 and before was better that his work at Mistwalker, in part because you had to tell more of the story through the music. However, you can still do that these days, and I believe it is a weakness of either the composers or the directors who give the briefs, that that quality is not reached. And I do include Uematsu's more recent work in that. Final Fantasy X was still full of iconic pieces despite using voice overs, but those heights haven't really been reached since then, and I don't think there's any good reason for that.

Loony BoB
12-08-2016, 01:21 PM
Didn't FFX have really limited voice acting? Like, only cutscenes or something? I can't remember. I swear half the stuff was just a little text box on the screen saying WHEN I GROW UP I WANNA BE A BLITZBALL etc.

Fox
12-08-2016, 01:25 PM
Didn't FFX have really limited voice acting? Like, only cutscenes or something? I can't remember. I swear half the stuff was just a little text box on the screen saying WHEN I GROW UP I WANNA BE A BLITZBALL etc.

It wasn't entirely voice acted, but I certainly wouldn't call it limited. Even minor characters like the other Besaid Aurochs or the Chocobo Knights have a fairly decent chunk of lines. The non-acted parts are mostly random NPCs when you're trying to talk to everyone around town.

Psychotic
12-08-2016, 02:11 PM
Didn't FFX have really limited voice acting? Like, only cutscenes or something? I can't remember. I swear half the stuff was just a little text box on the screen saying WHEN I GROW UP I WANNA BE A BLITZBALL etc.Stay away from the summoner.

Aulayna
12-08-2016, 02:12 PM
Didn't FFX have really limited voice acting? Like, only cutscenes or something? I can't remember. I swear half the stuff was just a little text box on the screen saying WHEN I GROW UP I WANNA BE A BLITZBALL etc.Stay away from the summoner.

RIIIIIIIIDE ZE SHOOPUFF?

Fynn
12-08-2016, 02:18 PM
Yeah, pretty much everyone and their mother had voices in FFX. For better or worse.

RIIIIIIIIDE ZE SHOOPUFF?

EAST BLOCK IN THE FRONT ROOOOOOWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Psychotic
12-08-2016, 02:28 PM
THAT'S IT!

I've come up with a new recipe.

Loony BoB
12-08-2016, 02:36 PM
THAT'S IT!

I've come up with a new recipe.
ressupehhhh*

Kappy
12-08-2016, 06:53 PM
Ignis' voice just reminds me of Matt Berry in Garth Marenghi's Darkplace

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6iJRNHUOT4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjOEcoMy2fI

Wolf Kanno
12-08-2016, 11:09 PM
For me, I think I like the dynamics of the music more than the individual pieces themselves. Like how the Chocobo theme is bouncy and enrgetic when you're running but if you start walking it becomes a nice simple piccolo theme. I also like how the battle theme is different depending on what you are fighting, so the theme is different if you're fighting imperial troops over common monsters, or random daemons versus Mark Hunt battles. I feel FFXV's dynamic use of its music is easily its greatest strength.

With that said, I'm not exactly coming away from the game humming the melody of a particular song and the action-RPG nature of the game makes it difficult to focus and appreciate the battle themes since you're kind of more focused on not getting mauled to death. So it's been fairly hard for me to really appreciate the music of the game. I think the only pieces that stick to me have been the small town themes and Chocobo themes but both are done in a style of music I'm not terribly fond of so I'm not really feeling the OST of this one.

On the other hand, the other Prelude theme in the game is seriously nice.
FPt6_iXo3fU

Scruffington
12-11-2016, 07:29 PM
The soundtrack is a huge downgrade from XIII. That's not to say it's bad. There are a few themes that are incredible (Cleigne battle theme, Ravus Aeterna).

My issue is that not a lot of the pieces really stand out in-game. The music all just kind of blends together, and isn't really memorable. To be fair, this does kind of fit the whole "car ride adventure" theme the game has going for it. Unfortunately that just doesn't translate to a good Final Fantasy game.

I could listen to practically any theme from XIII and tell you exactly what it is and when it was used. No way I can say the same for XV.

FinalxxSin
12-12-2016, 01:02 AM
The soundtrack is fire. I can't really give enough props to Ms. Yoko with FFXV.

Kappy
12-12-2016, 01:28 PM
i gotta say, the Cleigne Battle Theme might become my favourite FF battle theme.

In fact, all of the battle themes are absolutely brilliant.

Joelroll23
12-12-2016, 01:34 PM
I thought the track 'Somnus' was incredible - with and without the vocals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMBRBXe7Qro