PDA

View Full Version : Photography/Photo-manipulation competition

sharkythesharkdogg
12-08-2016, 08:24 PM
I'm sure several of your remember a few years ago when I ran a little photography/photo-manipulation contest. It was fun for a while, but over time interest seemed to wane.

I've decided to gauge the interest level in restarting the competition. I've also decided to put this thread here on purpose, because a lot of people would miss it if I had it in Relm's Studio.

Here's a rough idea of how the rules went last time as quoted from yours truly.

Hey aspiring photographers! Ready to pit your photography skills against the best of the rest that EOFF has to offer? Then throw your hat in the ring once every two months and see if you have what it takes to be number one in the photo competition. Here's how it works.

At the end of every competition month, the 29th or 30th, a new subject matter will be announced. This subject should be the focus of your photo in the new month's competition. The first subject will be picked by me just to get the ball rolling. Every contest thereafter the subject will be picked by the previous month's winner.

The rules are pretty open. The photo should be taken by you. Any modification to the image should only be done by you, and finally the picture you use should be one you've taken specifically for the competition. No old photos please. Part of the challenge is receiving a theme and then working with it. The photo can be manipulated in any graphic arts program of your choosing. Using availalbe effects and things of that sort to enhance a photo is welcome. Blending bits and pieces of other people's images into your photo is frowned upon. For example, if the subject is "water" and you photoshop a body of water from someone else's photo into your photo that didn't have one, you weren't really taking a photo of water were you? HOWEVER, if you take a photo of a waterfall and a skyscraper, and blend them in a graphics manipulation program to make it look like a water fall off the side of a skyscraper it will be two things. 1) Really smurfing impressive if it looks good and 2) Follow the rules as I see them. You took both pictures for a specific theme given and made one picture. Bottom line, make sure everything you do is something YOU did, and make sure you did it AFTER learning what that month's theme was.

Since it's been requested, all photos should be PM'd to me and I will submit them anonymously.

If you like, name your photo! Calling it something is more memorable than just giving it a number.

I will post them as I receive them. After the 15th no more photos will be accepted, and the 5 day voting period will begin. A poll will be available for you to pick the photo you like. The photos will remain anonymous until after voting is over. After 5 days, the polls close I tally up the votes and announce the winner.

The winner feels awesome, and as a bonus, picks the theme for the next month. Thus it begins again!

I am open to questions, comments, and feedback as the game progresses.

Good luck photographers!!!!

Originally the contest took place within the space of one month, and I personally liked that better. Eventually it seemed like people got burned out on every month, but after changing it to every two months participation still basically died out.

One complaint/perk debate was the aspect of being allowed to manipulate photos in some kind of software. Lots of people liked it, lots of people hated it.

So give me your thoughts on if your interested in starting this again, and what changes you'd like to make, if any.

sharkythesharkdogg
12-20-2016, 12:39 PM
Well, I suppose that answers that question pretty firmly. I'll try to think of another activity. :shrug:

Freya
12-20-2016, 02:22 PM
Oh snap! I didn't see this! One of my new years resolutions is to take a picture a day, so I would be up to it!

sharkythesharkdogg
12-28-2016, 12:43 PM
I've let this stick around a little longer to see if there might be any other interested parties.

It won't be too much of a contest with only two people. :ohdear:

Pheesh
12-28-2016, 04:23 PM
I would probably be down for this. I have a decent camera and know how to Photoshop so it is in my wheelhouse. Put me down for it if it goes ahead.