PDA

View Full Version : Name a game that is excellent that many don't know about.

FFNut
12-09-2016, 02:10 PM
Like the title suggests. What's a game that many may not know about, but is just a solid fun game that you love.

I will ill start with a lesser known retro game on the SNES called Uncharted Waters 2 New Horizons.

This game is extremely fun to play even now. The graphics look like it belongs on the NES, the music is only so-so, however the game itself is just epic.

Koei takes you you back to 1522 AD. Tensions and allies sail the seas to trade, battle, and gain lands in the ports.

You can choose one of 6 Capitans to play each with a different country they support, and a different mission.

Joao is from Portugal, and is sent on a mission from his father the Duke to find the secret of Atlantis. On his travels he must dodge the female pirate Catalina who believes his family killed her brother and her love.

Catilina is from Spain. Steals a ship from Spain and becomes a pirate to hunt down Joao who she believes has killed her family.

Otto is from England. He was given a mission from the King to sink the Spanish fleet that has been giving the English traders trouble.

Earnst is from Holland. He sails the seas to be the first person to map the world.

Pietro is from Italy. He wishes to sail the seas to find hidden treasure around the world.

Ali is from Turkey. He was a street kid who is given a chance to become a trader. He sails to bring fortune to himself. He also is in search for his sister who was separated from him as a child.

There is is many ways to play, with 92 trade ports from around the world. Different ships to invest in and buy. Countries will hunt you down if you become an issue, pirates will also hunt you.

So so many different ways to play that it is still a great game that holds heavy replay value. It's also not very well known. It's worth a look.

Pumpkin
12-09-2016, 02:47 PM
I'm not good with what's well known and what isn't...

Trails of Cold Steel for RPG fans. YES.

Read Only Memories for the point-and-click adventure fans

Among the Sleep for horror fans

Fynn
12-09-2016, 02:49 PM
Bowser's Inside Story is the best Mario RPG in existence. And yet all people ever talk about seems to be Legend of the Seven Stars, which honestly isn't even that good.

Karifean
12-09-2016, 03:02 PM
Story of my life. *points at blog*

Pike
12-09-2016, 03:24 PM
Uniracers for SNES is probably the greatest racing game ever made.

I can also think of several fantastic Commodore 64 games that no one ever talks about, mostly by virtue of them being Commodore 64 games. Mancopter, Lunar Outpost, Archon, Racing Construction Set, Impossible Mission, Beach Head, Pitstop series, Choplifter, Necromancer, Wizard, The Railroad Works, I could just go on and on.

Sephiroth
12-09-2016, 03:25 PM
Remember Me.

https://www.twitch.tv/yakusoku_no_ji/v/89964704

Momiji
12-09-2016, 03:28 PM
The whole Etrian Odyssey series is stellar, but fairly obscure.

krissy
12-09-2016, 03:50 PM
Front Mission 1

Nfwc0c4jNwA

Beyond Good & Evil

Wg4CDpo0aw0

Pike
12-09-2016, 03:53 PM
I tried so hard to play Beyond Good & Evil because I have it on Steam but it was really not running well on my system and eventually I had to give up :(

Bright Shield
12-09-2016, 03:57 PM
Mother 3

Although, it is known to many. Just underplayed since it was never released outside of Japan.

krissy
12-09-2016, 04:04 PM
I tried so hard to play Beyond Good & Evil because I have it on Steam but it was really not running well on my system and eventually I had to give up :(

i had a polish version of it which ended up having a game breaking glitch
i had to get a ps2 one instead

it's on psn now sometimes on a deal

but yeah it sucks the pc version is so crap every time i hear about it

Necronopticous
12-09-2016, 06:16 PM
GODS WILL BE WATCHING (http://www.deconstructeam.com/games/gods-will-be-watching/)

Aulayna
12-09-2016, 06:38 PM
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d7/SODBoxhot.jpg

Back from when Konami wasn't bad. Ah, good times.

Lyndis Highwind
12-09-2016, 07:38 PM
Phantom Dust. It's one of my favorite games ever, and sadly very underrated.

Fox
12-09-2016, 07:44 PM
Dark Messiah of Might & Magic.

It's what the Dishonored team did before Dishonored.

Crop
12-09-2016, 10:13 PM
I've said it every time this thread comes up, and I'll continue to say it until these threads stop coming up. Two words:

Team. Buddies.

Galuf
12-09-2016, 11:13 PM
Pretty sure no ones heard of undertale

(Srs tho that game just faded away lol. Prolly for the best)

Rez09
12-10-2016, 01:28 AM

Still my favorite Tri-Ace game. :nod:

Vermachtnis
12-10-2016, 02:31 AM
My obligatory Septerra Core post.

Night Fury
12-10-2016, 03:10 AM
Dragon Warrior Monsters

Mirage
12-10-2016, 03:13 AM
Battlezone, Gitaroo Man, Vampire: The masquerade - Bloodlines.

Wolf Kanno
12-10-2016, 06:39 AM
7speTNzbCLc

XtBgCuRlZb8

2MQPWE_M_EM

Y1PnieCgVyY

QQmpPm4P9qI

894mBevO8Mk

0UtfNTfITqY

6yIb4YWTzpE

BsdKPNpNsIM

Just to name a few...

Fynn
12-10-2016, 07:03 AM
Holy shit, yeah! I forgot about Dragon Quarter!

Spuuky
12-10-2016, 07:09 AM
The Talos Principle is still a name some people recognize because it's fairly recent, but I don't think anyone who hasn't played through the game understands how good it is.

Aerith's Knight
12-10-2016, 05:11 PM
Played Beyond good and evil. It was alright.

I heartily recommend Syberia for point-and-click people.

Indiana Jones and the Infernal machine, back when adventure game meant adventure.

Jinx
12-10-2016, 05:57 PM
My obligatory Shadow Hearts post.

I Took the Red Pill
12-10-2016, 06:16 PM
I don't see Maximo: Ghosts to Glory talked about all that much but it's definitely one of my favorite PS2 games. The brutal difficulty is a throwback to Ghosts N Goblins (but not that hard) and the cartoony graphics still hold up pretty nicely for a game that was released early in the PS2's lifetime.

Squall Leonhart Loire
12-10-2016, 07:52 PM
The Super Robot Taisen series, also known as Super Robot Wars. The series is basically a crossover franchise where each game is unique and features its own set of crossovers between popular Japanese mecha anime. It's a very large franchise with a massive amount of games, spin-offs, and even its own anime based off of its original characters that appear in the games. The original characters even have their own saga exclusively about them which doesn't include mecha anime and just its own original plot. Only four games have been released outside of Japan, those being Super Robot Taisen: Original Generations, its sequel, and a saga that acts as an alternative universe to the Original saga. They have been the few games to get localized and they didn't sell well quite fortunately. However, with the new upcoming title they are for the first time ever releasing it outside of Japan, only in Southeast Asia and China though. Not the United States. It will be receiving an English translation for the first time ever. The original games only got localized because they featured no licenses from anime series. This is the first time we're ever getting an English version for a main, licensed game.

Fynn
12-10-2016, 08:07 PM
There's this Polish point-and-click adventure from the 90s called "Książę i Tchórz" ("The Prince and the Coward"). Not sure there's a localization, but it was pretty awesome - at least you can take a look, krissy ;)

Aerith's Knight
12-10-2016, 10:24 PM

I can't find it. I still have my ps2 sitting there, waiting for the day I find a copy. I mean, I could finish Persona 3... but I have a day job already.

NeoCracker
12-11-2016, 03:59 AM
My obligatory Septerra Core post.

That game was fucking awesome, despite a few.... minor bugs.

Also Brigandine: Legend of Forsena is among my favorite SRPGs.

Skyblade
12-11-2016, 05:40 AM
Bowser's Inside Story is the best Mario RPG in existence. And yet all people ever talk about seems to be Legend of the Seven Stars, which honestly isn't even that good.

I haven't played Inside Story, but for me its competition would be Thousand Year Door.

I'll add Mega Man Battle Network 3. This series often gets overlooked entirely (a Mega Man RPG? lol). But until MMBN4 killed everything good about it, it was actually a really fun and well done bunch of games, with the third entry being the best.

Slothy
12-11-2016, 02:56 PM
Way of the Samurai. If you want a cool choose your own adventure style game where what you choose to do actually affects things dramatically and it's short enough to replay many times over, this is the game.

Pete for President
12-13-2016, 12:32 AM
Way of the Samurai. If you want a cool choose your own adventure style game where what you choose to do actually affects things dramatically and it's short enough to replay many times over, this is the game.

Always wanted to try that but never did. Is that for PS2?

Slothy
12-13-2016, 01:22 AM

Always wanted to try that but never did. Is that for PS2?

Yup. Worth checking out. If memory serves I imagine it's a bit rough around the edges by today's standards but what wasn't in the early PS2 days.

Mirage
12-13-2016, 01:57 AM
It's for several consoles. There are four games in the series. 3 and 4 are on PS3. I have WotS 3, but I haven't finished it cause i got stuck and forgot where to go next.

Slothy
12-13-2016, 03:45 AM
To be clear I'm referring specifically to the first one which you'll only find on PS2 outside of Japan. Played a bit of 2 which kind of scaled the size of the world you're in up quite a bit and I felt it was kind of too much for me to get into. The size of the first game just worked for me. Never played the others.

Scruffington
12-13-2016, 04:44 AM
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door is the best Mario RPG in existence. And yet all people ever talk about seems to be Legend of the Seven Stars, which honestly isn't even that good.

FTFY.

Fynn
12-13-2016, 05:47 AM
*sigh* That's the problem. Everyone keeps talking about Paper Mario while Bowser's Inside Story remains forgotten. That's why I mention it in this thread.

FinalxxSin
12-13-2016, 02:53 PM
Bulletstorm imo is a slept on title.

Scruffington
12-13-2016, 03:51 PM
*sigh* That's the problem. Everyone keeps talking about Paper Mario while Bowser's Inside Story remains forgotten. That's why I mention it in this thread.

I've played Bowser's Inside Story. While a good game, TTYD is still the king of Mario RPGs imo. Then again I haven't fully played through SMRPG myself yet.

Fynn
12-13-2016, 03:52 PM
Still, people actually talk about TTYD.

Wolf Kanno
12-13-2016, 06:47 PM
I was just reminded of this series recently due to the old development team thinking about rebooting the series on cell phone (along with the Wild Arms series) but that would be the original Arc the Lad series. Not necessarily the best Tactical-RPG series but one that has enough character and spunk to keep you interested.

NeoCracker
12-14-2016, 01:36 PM
I couldn't get into the first one, but despite it's flaws I do enjoy 'Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits'. I'll get around to 2 and 3 one day.

Wolf Kanno
12-14-2016, 06:40 PM
I couldn't get into the first one, but despite it's flaws I do enjoy 'Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits'. I'll get around to 2 and 3 one day.

The very first game is a bit nboring but thankfully really short (like ten hours) but it's really Arc the Lad 2 where the game seriously picks up, but it works best if you've played the first one cause it sets up everything in the sequel.

Del Murder
12-14-2016, 06:45 PM
This is always tough because it's hard for me to tell what people do and do not know about. Do people know of Radiant Historia? That's a great game.

NeoCracker
12-14-2016, 07:30 PM
As far as Non-FF or SMT RPG's go I think it's one of the more popular ones to come along in recent years.

Necronopticous
12-14-2016, 09:38 PM
THUMPER (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkbEbBMyigs) is my GOTY.

BreakfastGrilledCheese
12-15-2016, 04:19 AM

Jinx. Omg. I might be in LOVE with you! NO ONE every knows what Shadow Hearts is, but I loooooooved those games so much! Well, I loved Shadow Hearts 1 and 2 and Koudelka (Halley's Mom). I didn't play New World. I thought Karen was just awesome in the second game though! Her and Yuri were such a good pair to watch befriend one another. (Sorry, Alice, you were cool too.) By far, my favorite thing was to curl up and read the monster indexes for all the baddies. So much depth!

Any of the Shin Megami Tensei games, but that's definitely improving!

Disgaea - the ANY of them! I mean, I thought the name would be more common when Disgaea showed up on PC, but I haven't heard the name come up any more frequently.

I remember really, really liking the Wild Arms series when I was younger, but I haven't touched those in ages so I don't know if they held up over time.

Peter1986
12-15-2016, 06:45 PM
Have you ever heard about the game "Summer Carnival '92: Recca" for the Famicom?
Probably not, since it was originally only released in Japan.
Anyway, this game is super-intense for an 8-bit game, there are enemies everywhere and even the first stage is a major test of your reflexes.
Here is a video demonstration of the gameplay in this game - prepared to be overwhelmed:

hSqf5STS9xQ

Also, just to make sense of the name:
"Summer Carnival '92" refers to a gaming competition that was held in 1992, and "Recca" is the Japanese word for "conflagration" or "raging fire", which sums up this whole game pretty well.

Mirage
12-16-2016, 03:04 PM

Jinx. Omg. I might be in LOVE with you! NO ONE every knows what Shadow Hearts is, but I loooooooved those games so much! Well, I loved Shadow Hearts 1 and 2 and Koudelka (Halley's Mom). I didn't play New World. I thought Karen was just awesome in the second game though! Her and Yuri were such a good pair to watch befriend one another. (Sorry, Alice, you were cool too.) By far, my favorite thing was to curl up and read the monster indexes for all the baddies. So much depth!

Any of the Shin Megami Tensei games, but that's definitely improving!

Disgaea - the ANY of them! I mean, I thought the name would be more common when Disgaea showed up on PC, but I haven't heard the name come up any more frequently.

I remember really, really liking the Wild Arms series when I was younger, but I haven't touched those in ages so I don't know if they held up over time.

I would have played all the shadow hearts games if my PS2 didn't constantly lock up trying to play the pirated game i have.

i have played all but the most recent disgaea games, and i am actually playing through WA alter code f these days, which is the PS2 remake of the first game.