PDA

View Full Version : What are you reading?

Fynn
12-09-2016, 02:54 PM
We have these for games and music, but what about books? Share with us what you are reading right now!

Freya
12-09-2016, 03:21 PM
The Last Kingdom (The Saxon Chronicles Series #1) by Bernard Cornwell.

It's a historical fiction. Apparently BBC/netflix made a show about it? Just found that out recently as I'm already reading it.

og5_7KpFtrI

Pike
12-09-2016, 11:07 PM
....fan............fiction

Aerith's Knight
12-10-2016, 04:18 PM
Reading Aeronauts Windlass from Jim Butcher. It's a steampunk type post-apocalypse setting with Ys-like cities. It's kind of weird, but fun.

Something other than the normal fantasy books I read.

charliepanayi
12-10-2016, 06:35 PM
I'm reading Anna Kendrick's book Scrappy Little Nobody and it's good but my crush on her is now ten times worse than it was.

Fynn
12-10-2016, 08:18 PM
I'm reading The Christmas Sweater by Glenn Beck. It's one of the worst, least enjoyable books I've ever read, but it was a Christmas gift from my aunt and I don't really wanna just leave it like that

FFNut
12-10-2016, 08:19 PM
Glenn Beck is a blowhard.

Pike
12-10-2016, 08:20 PM
Glenn Beck is a blowhard.

He is, but on the other hand he recently did a major 180 on a lot of his positions so I feel like he might have a redemption arc coming?

Fynn
12-10-2016, 08:29 PM
I mean, maybe, but it doesn't change the fact that the book is just oozing... stuff, if you know what I mean. Not to insult anyone's political orientation or anything, but it's just kind of condescending. Coupled with general American family film sentimentalism which I just could never really stomach, I'm just reading book that is really hard for me to enjoy.

FFNut
12-10-2016, 08:51 PM
I tend to learn politically towards the right too, but he is way out to lunch. He never can really back it up either. He makes us all look bad.

Freya
12-12-2016, 09:36 PM
I finished my The Last Kingdom Book. I finally watched that trailer I linked (I hadn't seen it xD) but now i'm like "THAT DIDN'T HAPPEN YET!" So now I think the show spoils the second book too so now I have to read that before I watch it, damnit. I was excited.

I am now working on Earnest Cline's Armada. There was a passage I super related to as it is how I would react too. I edited it for forum filters :3

Del Murder
12-12-2016, 10:08 PM
Superforecasting by Phillip E. Tetlock and Dan Gardner. About people who can predict geopolitical changes better than the ones who actually get paid to do it. Great so far!

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
12-12-2016, 10:59 PM
I am currently reading:

Resilience by Eric Greiten
Winter's Tale by Mark Helprin
With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa by E.B. Sledge

I'm not a one book kind of guy.

Pike
12-13-2016, 06:09 PM
I mean, maybe, but it doesn't change the fact that the book is just oozing... stuff, if you know what I mean. Not to insult anyone's political orientation or anything, but it's just kind of condescending. Coupled with general American family film sentimentalism which I just could never really stomach, I'm just reading book that is really hard for me to enjoy.

oh yeah, my post wasn't directed at you at all, haha, in fact it was an off-topic aside more than anything, my bad!

For serious though I'm devouring fanfiction; I marathoned one 300k fanfic in about three days. (300k words = one very, very thick novel). I don't have any regrets because the best fanfic is up there with the best published stuff I've read in terms of quality.

Fynn
12-19-2016, 05:08 PM
And Then There Were None

Starts off really interesting, and though it's only my second Christie book, I think I can safely call myself a fan at this point.

Though honestly, it's just good to finally be able to read something that doesn't make me wanna bash my head against the wall for a change.

Freya
12-20-2016, 10:09 PM
Finished off Armada by Ernest Cline. Apparently Universal bought the rights to this too? His other book, Ready Player One, is being turned into a movie directed by Spielberg.

Armada was a fun popcorn B-movie kinda book. It wasn't that deep and I felt it was a little TOO heavy handed in the nerd references. I give it a 3/5 enjoyable, but could have been way better.

Now i'm starting the second Saxon book, The Pale Horseman.

Oh I've also been listening to Amy Poehler's Yes, Please! Audiobook.

Formalhaut
12-20-2016, 10:31 PM
And Then There Were None

Starts off really interesting, and though it's only my second Christie book, I think I can safely call myself a fan at this point.

Though honestly, it's just good to finally be able to read something that doesn't make me wanna bash my head against the wall for a change.Have you seen any adaptations? There was a very good BBC adaptation last year that's well worth a look.

Miriel
12-20-2016, 11:53 PM
I recently finished A Man Called Ove (pretty good), and It Ends With Us (awful). And I think I'm going to start on The Vegetarian by South Korean author by Han Kang.

krissy
12-21-2016, 06:01 AM
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ_KU_mrUpv5sdqfqd79FJoSzdoYBKg1rgLxeWYPnyNJ0M1JOIY

Fynn
12-21-2016, 06:48 AM
And Then There Were None

Though honestly, it's just good to finally be able to read something that doesn't make me wanna bash my head against the wall for a change.Have you seen any adaptations? There was a very good BBC adaptation last year that's well worth a look.

Nope. I like to avoid adaptations before I read the book. Though the Orient Express thing was interesting because I thought I hadn't seen an adaptation but near the end I remembered that I had, so the twist ending wasn't as big a surprise as it was supposed to be :p

Freya
01-03-2017, 04:33 PM
Going for 52 books in 52 weeks again! I have a bunch I'm trying to cram in.

First off I'm reading: Cinder by Marissa Meyers. I'm actually listening to it. I put a few things on hold at my states virtual library system and suddenly got all of them at once rather than how they were supposed to be spaced out x.x some had several people ahead of me so I figured I'd get them a few weeks later but it decided I needed to listen to lots of books all at once. Cinder is the shortest of them so I'm trying to burn through it first.

Then I have lined up is: Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson, which is 24 hrs long x.x

THEN it's: The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith (Jk Rowling) which is 17 hrs long.

I only have two weeks for all of these! Eek! I may have to renew them.

Plus I'm trying to read a physical book of The Martian by Andy Weir and The Pale Horseman by Bernard Cornwall (also library ebook and expires in 7 days) blargh. Gonna be reading all week I guess!

Not sure if I can get all these done in one week, probably not.

Fynn
01-03-2017, 04:55 PM
THE SILKWORM IS AWESOME!!!!

Aerith's Knight
01-03-2017, 05:02 PM
Finished the Codex Alera 1 by Jim Butcher, moving on to book 2. But after that, I will have to read Lightbringer 4, Elantris, and Arcanum unbounded, before book 3,4,5, and 6 in that series.

Freya
01-03-2017, 05:12 PM
THE SILKWORM IS AWESOME!!!!
See I was going to listen to that originally, it was available and that was the plan first. Cinder said I was next in line, so I figured i'd get it maybe later this week and then the final empire had me at behind 2 people so I figured I'd have like two weeks before I got that one. Got cinder at like 5pm last night and the final chapter at like 8pm. I thought i'll go ahead and listen to Cinder first because it's the shortest. I have so much to listen to!

Lyndis Highwind
01-03-2017, 05:59 PM
Alex O' Donnell and the 40 Cyber Thieves. I've been wanting to read this for years, and my sister got it for Christmas, so I was finally able to borrow it from her and read it.

Night Fury
01-04-2017, 06:04 AM
In the Midst of Life by Jennifer Worth. She's one of my favourite memoir writers, and this book is outstanding.

Pumpkin
01-04-2017, 06:38 AM
I'm going to try and read 10 non-textbooks this year. It doesn't seem like a lot, but reading so many textbooks just drains my reading mood, honestly.

Right now am reading Catch-22. I'm not massively enjoying it. It's funny but also hard for me to follow

Fynn
01-04-2017, 01:12 PM
PUMPKIN YOU SHOULD READ SOME OF THE SUGGESTIONS I GAVE YOU :stare:

KentaRawr!
01-04-2017, 01:13 PM
I've been downloading hundreds of books while finishing up Count of Monte Cristo. I have no idea what I'm going to read once I finish. :ohdear:

Scotty_ffgamer
01-04-2017, 11:40 PM
Going to be starting the second wheel of time book today probably.

Freya
01-06-2017, 04:42 AM
That awkward moment when you stay up too late, again, reading.

So finished Cinder and am now a quarter way through The Martian.

Also just started the silkworm.

Mr. Carnelian
01-06-2017, 02:02 PM
Finished reading 'Lady Susan' just yesterday. By far the best work of Jane Austen's I've ever read. Doesn't drag its heels, gets to the point, full of wit, and a thouroughly engaging anti-heroine in the form of the marvellous Lady Susan. It was quite short, only took a few hours over two days, but none the worse for that.

Fynn
01-09-2017, 09:09 AM
So now that I'm finally back from the holidays, I managed to finish And Then There Were None yesterday. And it was pretty brilliant. Can't wait to read more Christie!

But now it's time for a change of pace, so I started reading Eben Alexander's Proof of Heaven. A neurosurgon's journey into the afterlife. I'm approaching it with a healthy dose of scepticism, but it's very well written so far. It's very easy to read and the subject matter is presented in a very interesting way.

Cell
01-09-2017, 12:45 PM
Currently reading Total Recall, Arnold Schwarzenegger's auto-biography. Although it's way too long, it's not that all that bad, even if you can tell he's a little up his own arse- but not as much as expected for a former Hollywood star. At least he can admit from time to time he screwed up.

Lyndis Highwind
01-09-2017, 05:21 PM
Mansfield Park by Jane Austen. I just started it last night and I'm really enjoying it so far!

Cell
01-12-2017, 04:00 PM
After slogging through Arnie's autobiography which fell flat towards the end, I am now reading The Power and the Glory by Graham Greene. Second book of his I've read after the Quiet American.

Fynn
01-30-2017, 12:19 PM
Liked that afterlife book pretty good, honestly

Now it;s time for something completely different - Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman. I've read Gaiman before and I like him okay, I guess, though he can get fixated on some weird things, and not in a good way. American Gods had some of the best and the worst moments of reading in general, for me, so we'll see how this goes. Just read the prologue, so I really can't tell which way this will go yet.

Formalhaut
01-30-2017, 02:51 PM
I'm currently reading Byrant and May and the Memory of Blood. Crime fiction. I'm still fairly early on, because I read very slowly, but it is going well!

Fynn
01-30-2017, 02:53 PM
Well, the more you read, the faster it'll go!

Pumpkin
01-30-2017, 03:08 PM
Just finished The Girl on the Train and will be starting the Harry Potter series! I only read the first one a very long time ago, so we'll see if I like it

Freya
01-30-2017, 03:11 PM
How do you feel about The Girl on the Train, I read that last year!

Pumpkin
01-30-2017, 03:12 PM
I really liked it, it kept me hooked. The ending was a bit o a letdown though. Not the big reveal itself, but the stuff after the big reveal was kind of. Meh for me.

Freya
01-30-2017, 03:39 PM
Yeah I thought the ending kinda fell flat myself, so I agree with you. The movie is pretty good though! Saw that recently.

Lyndis Highwind
01-30-2017, 05:15 PM
I finished Mansfield Park last week, and I picked up "Frederica" by Georgette Heyer at the library. I haven't gotten around to starting it quite yet. Hopefully I will today though!

krissy
01-30-2017, 07:31 PM
https://rb231.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/fuschia.jpg

Cell
01-31-2017, 12:07 PM

Interesting so far, mix of science fiction and the fantastical.