PDA

View Full Version : Atlus is working on a new Fantasy RPG...

Wolf Kanno
12-20-2016, 08:07 AM
...and it's not connected to MegaTen or Persona. It's still being headed by several members of the Persona team which shared their first pic for the title.

More info will follow in the coming days and an events on December 23rd. Its should be noted that Atlus is owned by Sega now, and Sega has expressed interest in letting Atlus take a crack at some of their old IPs that don't see much love anymore.

Fox
12-20-2016, 08:09 AM
Sir, you had my curiosity...

But now you have my attention.

PLEASE DON'T BE A MOBILE GAME OR MMO

Fynn
12-20-2016, 08:30 AM
That is indeed Soejima. Color me intrigued.

Skyblade
12-20-2016, 09:34 AM
...and it's not connected to MegaTen or Persona. It's still being headed by several members of the Persona team which shared their first pic for the title.

More info will follow in the coming days and an events on December 23rd. Its should be noted that Atlus is owned by Sega now, and Sega has expressed interest in letting Atlus take a crack at some of their old IPs that don't see much love anymore.

ATLUS MAKING NEW SHINING FORCE WHEN?!

Elly
12-20-2016, 11:49 AM
as long as it's not High Fantasy, i'm interested... wizards and warriors Vs dungeons and dragons has been done to death... i'm more a fan of fantasy the likes of Phantasy Star and FFVII onwards, fantasy that hasn't appeared in countless Dungeon Masters Guides and Dragonlance novels... it's only my opinion and if it does not fit my criteria i will simply ignore it and move on, if it does i'll totally geek out on it, but i will need more info on the direction the game is taking before i get my hopes up...

Psychotic
12-20-2016, 04:28 PM
as long as it's not High Fantasy, i'm interested... Welp, the character has an Elf ear.

Del Murder
12-20-2016, 07:19 PM
Color me intrigued.

Skyblade
12-20-2016, 08:12 PM
as long as it's not High Fantasy, i'm interested... Welp, the character has an Elf ear.

And a sword.

Elly
12-20-2016, 11:12 PM
yeah, there's elves and mages in Shadowrun and i don't think that's High Fantasy, it is possible...

Depression Moon
12-20-2016, 11:14 PM
Her arm looks a little short there. The sword should be down a bit lower. Arm's length is somewhat past your thighs. If she was holding the sword that high you'd see the elbow sticking out from the cloth.

Wolf Kanno
12-21-2016, 09:33 AM
Some minor info (http://www.siliconera.com/2016/12/21/atlus-shares-project-re-fantasy-persona-new-titles-next-year/).

For those who don't want to read, Atlus announced they are forming a new development studio to work on the project and the game will be a a new IP with the idea of working on a more orthodox type of game (more traditional fantasy), but doing it in the Atlus style.

This kind of reminds me of the stories producers talk about when David Bowie decided to make the Let's Dance album, and the producers talked about how Bowie thought it would be quaint to try and make a pop album since he largely did more unconventional stuff.

Wolf Kanno
12-23-2016, 05:15 PM
More concept art and a boring video (http://www.siliconera.com/2016/12/23/atlus-shares-artwork-concept-video-extra-tidbits-project-re-fantasy/) explaining the studios commitment to to make something awesome out of a more traditional Fantasy RPG.

The game is still in the early concept stage and it "may be a long time before fans get to see it" according to the producer. It will also not affect the next Persona title which is already being worked on according to Atlus.

Fox
12-23-2016, 06:14 PM
"Early concept stage" is a really dumb time to announce a game unless they're panning on crowd-funding it. I mean this is the stage where lots of games end up getting cancelled, so why bother trying to get the hype train rolling so soon?

Elly
12-23-2016, 06:55 PM
when people say Traditional Fantasy they usually mean High Fantasy ala JRR Tolkein or D&D, so i've lost all interest... there's people out there that do like that kind of stuff though so i hope they enjoy it, and it turns out really awesome for them...

Wolf Kanno
12-24-2016, 03:24 AM
"Early concept stage" is a really dumb time to announce a game unless they're panning on crowd-funding it. I mean this is the stage where lots of games end up getting cancelled, so why bother trying to get the hype train rolling so soon?

Cause Atlus is a small company compared to others and need the help of of the hype train to get any interest into any of their projects because they lack the funds to do a heavy PR campaign like Squenix, EA, and Ubisoft?

As popular and over exposed as Persona 4 is, it is still technically a cult hit at best from a numbers game compared to other major franchises.

Fynn
12-24-2016, 07:14 AM
I serve they're still heavy on the Tarot motifs

Fox
12-24-2016, 11:14 AM

Cause Atlus is a small company compared to others and need the help of of the hype train to get any interest into any of their projects because they lack the funds to do a heavy PR campaign like Squenix, EA, and Ubisoft?

As popular and over exposed as Persona 4 is, it is still technically a cult hit at best from a numbers game compared to other major franchises.

They're owned by SEGA though, so I don't really see them as that small.

Besides, announcing stuff this early doesn't bring in any money, it just risks people losing interest by the time you actually have anything substantial. There are a selection of games I kickstarted that I don't even care about anymore because it's been so long that I've lost any enthusiasm for them. You can't really start building hype for something where all you have to show is a few bits of concept art.

Squall Leonhart Loire
12-24-2016, 10:20 PM
So this is Atlus' first major attempt at a big budget title. I'd like to see how this goes. The graphics aren't really like that, however. That's obviously CGI/Real-time.

Wolf Kanno
12-25-2016, 02:25 AM
They're owned by SEGA though, so I don't really see them as that small.

Besides, announcing stuff this early doesn't bring in any money, it just risks people losing interest by the time you actually have anything substantial. There are a selection of games I kickstarted that I don't even care about anymore because it's been so long that I've lost any enthusiasm for them. You can't really start building hype for something where all you have to show is a few bits of concept art.

Sega isn't exactly the powerhouse it used to be either though.

I also beg to differ and I really feel it comes down to the company. I mean I knew about Xenoblade Chronicles years before anything substantial came out and I was excited for it cause the Xeno team doesn't usually disappoint me; so I kept that hype alive up until it finally saw a release in my country.

The idea of the Persona team attempting a more conventional fantasy RPG is still pretty good and technically they usually have a better turn around than say... Square-Enix when it comes to announcement to release. Not to mention that Atlus and the SMT/Persona teams are still good in my book for releasing quality stuff, so even if the game isn't going to see the light of day until 2021, I'll at least get to watch the team show off what they are doing to keep the hype train going.

Formalhaut
12-25-2016, 09:11 AM
For what it's worth, I'm looking forward to whatever they plan to do. The concept art looks nice, and it whets the palate. Atlus are usually very dependable with launches and development, so I'll be following news on this when it arrives.

Wolf Kanno
12-28-2016, 08:23 AM
I think Yoko Taro might be one of my favorite designers in the industry if only for his quirky interviews (http://www.siliconera.com/2016/12/27/yoko-taro-supports-atlus-new-fantasy-rpg-project-yoko-taro-way-possible/). He just released a statement about Atlus' new Fantasy RPG. For those who don't know, Yoko Taro is the creative force behind Drakengard and NeiR.

NeoCracker
12-29-2016, 05:15 PM
...I don't know if he's just really hyped about the new Atlus RPG or if he just found a really, really ingenious way to get people interested in Nier.

Or maybe both.

And why is he still wearing that mask?

I like to think he wears it too work.

Wolf Kanno
12-29-2016, 09:54 PM
...I don't know if he's just really hyped about the new Atlus RPG or if he just found a really, really ingenious way to get people interested in Nier.

Or maybe both.

He hates interviews apparently and always wears that mask when he has to do one.

NeoCracker
12-30-2016, 03:53 AM

Or maybe both.

He hates interviews apparently and always wears that mask when he has to do one.

Just imagine it though, if not even his co-workers have ever seen his real face.

I like to think that is the reality of the situation.

Fox
12-30-2016, 10:39 AM
Maybe he's been wearing it so long it has become​ his real face and actually controls his personality

Skyblade
06-09-2017, 11:22 AM
Wasn't sure whether this would be considered a necro or not, but thought I'd post this in here.

AqA9vxhqMvE

The director of Persona 5 discussing what he wants to achieve with this game.

Vyk
06-09-2017, 04:12 PM
It showed up in my suggestions last night, and I had either forgotten about or never really knew about this project. But I am intrigued. Similar to Elly I am a little burned out on traditional high fantasy. But Atlus is far from a traditional studio. And the video even says why should they try to return to their roots when they could do their own thing with it. And there are a lot of twists I could see them doing. Since Shining Force was brought up it makes a good example as being both traditional and unconventional. And while I highly doubt they're picking up an old Sega franchise rather than doing something new, the concept art makes me feel warm and familiar. Old Shining Force concept art made me feel warm and familiar. So I'll be happily awaiting whatever it turns out to be. I'm sure it'll be a pleasant surprise and a break from the norm in some way