PDA

View Full Version : How have your taste in gaming change over the years? Part 2

Wolf Kanno
12-22-2016, 10:09 AM
Based on an old thread of the same title (http://home.eyesonff.com/showthread.php/130674-How-have-your-tastes-in-gaming-changed-over-the-years). How have your own gaming tastes changed since you first started gaming?

Fox
12-22-2016, 10:20 AM
I'd say my desire for challenge has decreased significantly in most areas. Most of the time now I just wanna have a bit of fun and enjoy a good story. I don't want to be PUSHING to my LIMITS. There are some exceptions of course and I still want something more involving than 'Press X to win,' but where getting stuck used to be a thrilling battle to overcome now tend to just be tedious.

Rez09
12-22-2016, 11:08 AM
I used to favor RPGs based on story and characters, while I now prefer them based on mechanics and interesting options available to me. It's the reason I tend to play through most Final Fantasy games once and move on, while I'll play SaGa games multiple times in a row.

Karifean
12-22-2016, 12:50 PM
I found out how awesome visual novels were, mostly.

Galuf
12-22-2016, 02:32 PM
I used to love fps games. Now I love rpgs lol

Pike
12-22-2016, 03:19 PM
It's hard to compare because when I started gaming things were very limited, everything was still arcade games like Pac-Man, Dig-Dug, Donkey Kong, Pole Position and so on. I don't know if my taste has changed, really. If it's fun, I'll play it. Dig-Dug was (still is) hecka fun and I played the hell out of it, and today Dragon Age and The Elder Scrolls and Pokemon are fun and I play the hell out of those.

Freya
12-22-2016, 03:38 PM
I used to be more into JRPGS now ehhh there's a lot of the J parts I find to be... ehhhhh. Questionable?

I've been more into Simulation games as I get older. I also don't care as much for "omg good graphics it's so good cause good graphics!" and more about detailed story that's expansive and I can get obsessed with.

Pumpkin
12-22-2016, 03:53 PM
I've mostly expanded my tastes to include many genres

Depression Moon
12-22-2016, 04:39 PM
0. I still like the same shit. I'm open to everything like I always was.

Scruffington
12-22-2016, 04:57 PM
I've lost interest in a lot of PvP games. Specifically shooters. Grew up with Halo, Gears, and Call of Duty. Now I dislike all three of them.

Sephex
12-23-2016, 10:36 AM
I used to tolerate and have fun with online gaming. Never got deep into it or played a MMORPG (one of the greatest scams the gaming industry pulled on gamers is convincing them they have to pay a monthly fee to play a video game), but I had fun on Xbox Live and whatnot.

Now? I just can't stand multiplayer as a whole. It's different if I am physically in the room with people. I just don't have the time to listen to some kid or a poorly matured adult scream at me over a game. And no, that just doesn't happen on [whatever], it happens across all services and games that allow that sort of thing. No, I don't want to mute people. No, I don't want configure settings to avoid people. Yes, I know I can play with people I know only. Too much of a hassle. I play video games to not have to deal with other people, even people that I like. I play games to have fun by myself. I'll throw down once in awhile, but the obsessive focus on multiplayer gaming is just so damn trite to me. I don't care. I don't have time. I'm old. Get off my lawn.

FFNut
12-23-2016, 02:18 PM
I used to tolerate and have fun with online gaming. Never got deep into it or played a MMORPG (one of the greatest scams the gaming industry pulled on gamers is convincing them they have to pay a monthly fee to play a video game), but I had fun on Xbox Live and whatnot.

Now? I just can't stand multiplayer as a whole. It's different if I am physically in the room with people. I just don't have the time to listen to some kid or a poorly matured adult scream at me over a game. And no, that just doesn't happen on [whatever], it happens across all services and games that allow that sort of thing. No, I don't want to mute people. No, I don't want configure settings to avoid people. Yes, I know I can play with people I know only. Too much of a hassle. I play video games to not have to deal with other people, even people that I like. I play games to have fun by myself. I'll throw down once in awhile, but the obsessive focus on multiplayer gaming is just so damn trite to me. I don't care. I don't have time. I'm old. Get off my lawn.

I feel eel the same as you about online Multi player. Hate hearing some kid trash talk while I just want to game. It's why I went away from FPS's the replay value was heavy online play and just can't stand it any more.

However if it is a good old friend in the room with me I don't mind it as much. It's fun to either hunt down your friend, or have your friend hunt you. Also it's a great feeling when you or a friend save each other from a punk mouth kid.

Momiji
12-23-2016, 07:03 PM
I've branched out a lot more. When I was younger, I was solely interested in JRPGs and I more or less held them as my gold standard for 'a fun game'. And while I still have a strong preference for them, I'll honestly give anything a chance to hook me, though I'm still biased against sports games and FPS games simply because I don't enjoy them much. (Overwatch has been the exception, as far as FPS games go.)

I've also become a lot more critical of games too. Games are an investment of time and money, so if it's not doing anything to keep me engaged or doesn't feel like a significant use of time, I feel far less favorable toward it. I never realized how little time you have on your hands as an adult, so it feels like every bit of it counts, and I'd rather spend it on games I enjoy, rather than ones I feel lukewarm toward. When I was younger, it was like "yeah, this game kinda sucks but HEY VIDEO GAMES". But for me, now, they need something to hook me. A good plot or story, fun gameplay, an interesting concept-- pick one. If it's good, I'm much more inclined to enjoy them.

One thing that changed that I would like to change is to play more multiplayer games. I genuinely miss the proximity and fun of couch multiplayer, and it's frankly just a thing of the past. It saddens me, but it is what it is. But because of that, I don't tend to play many multiplayer things at all anymore, which makes gaming feel really isolated and less the social connection it could be.

FinalxxSin
12-24-2016, 09:02 PM
I don't see what the problem is with a MMORPG charging a monthly fee. Servers have to be maintained. Events typically come and go. There are content updates (new PvP and/or PvE content, rebalance of bosses/classes, changes in level progression, etc.) which in a good number of cases have to have bugs worked out of them, and the list can go on and on. You can't really expect things like that to be done at a high quality and for free.

P2W type MMORPGs on a F2P model can be far far worse. I know from personal experience.

Squall Leonhart Loire
12-24-2016, 10:23 PM
I have less drive to complete games, specifically JRPGs, which is still my #1 favorite genre but still...

Sephex
12-24-2016, 10:26 PM
I don't see what the problem is with a MMORPG charging a monthly fee. Servers have to be maintained. Events typically come and go. There are content updates (new PvP and/or PvE content, rebalance of bosses/classes, changes in level progression, etc.) which in a good number of cases have to have bugs worked out of them, and the list can go on and on. You can't really expect things like that to be done at a high quality and for free.

P2W type MMORPGs on a F2P model can be far far worse. I know from personal experience.

Yeah, I get that end if it, but I feel games overcharge for their services. I don't even have Xbox Live anymore for the same reason. Well, the other reason is that I just don't have time to go online that much anymore, so that aspect of it is on my end.

FFNut
12-26-2016, 11:00 AM
I have XBox live as I enjoy the free games that I get each month. In January we are getting a tower Defense game, and there has been one out of the 4 free a month given I usually have an interest in playing.

sinuosity
12-26-2016, 12:54 PM
In an age where basically everything is always-online, the MMORPG subscription model begins to look a bit archaic. Seems reasonable to expect MMOs that are not f2p will become increasingly rare as the years go by

NeoCracker
12-26-2016, 09:21 PM
My favorite Genre has always been JRPG's, but as years go on I've just included more and more genre's into ones I can enjoy. So my tastes haven't changed much, I've just diversified a bit more.

Fynn
12-28-2016, 07:01 PM
My favorite Genre has always been JRPG's, but as years go on I've just included more and more genre's into ones I can enjoy. So my tastes haven't changed much, I've just diversified a bit more.

Pretty much me

Vermachtnis
12-29-2016, 02:58 AM
My tastes haven't really changed much. My playstyle has though. I'm a lot more pragmatic. I'd not use over powered skills or weapons or whatever. Now I use overpowered weapons and skills at the same time to try and push out all the damage I can do. And I don't worry about Elixers and junk so much. I'd carry an Elixer for the entire length of a game, now I'll use one if I don't feel like trekking all the way back to a save point.

Lyndis Highwind
01-03-2017, 06:11 PM
They really haven't changed much. RPGs are still my favorite kind of game. I'm opening up to first/third person shooters a bit though, especially since I've been playing Time Splitters a lot.

Del Murder
01-03-2017, 07:28 PM
I am much less likely to play a grand scale console game with 60+ hours of content or whatever. I prefer the shorter but high-charged experiences like Uncharted or Shadow of Mordor. I do make exceptions for Bioware games. Just don't have those blocks of time to sit in front of a TV.

Instead, I almost exclusively play handheld games these days. This has worked out since there has been no shortage of great JRPGs for handhelds and they've really found a home there.

For genres, I still feel like I play the same types of games as before, mostly RPGs and action/adventure games with some platforming and puzzle thrown in every now and then. I guess I used to play more shooters, sports, and fighting games when I was younger but I'm more of a hermit now and those genres are very multiplayer-heavy.

Loony BoB
01-04-2017, 12:12 PM
The more I think about it, the more I don't think my tastes have changed at all. I play a lot more "walking sims" these days than I used to, I suppose. And fewer RTS, although that's mostly down to Warcraft getting sucked into MMO-land.

Oh, and I play MMOs more than I used to, obviously. And couch co-op less often, although that's more dictated by the games being put out and the fact that I don't hang out with friends after school anymore. Modernised world, internet etc. replaces that.

Mirage
01-04-2017, 01:02 PM

This is a thread about games. :colbert:

I think the biggest way I've changed is that my standards have gotten higher. I don't feel like I have time to play games that forget to add "quality of life" things. I don't accept a grind just for grindings sake. If a game feels like a chore to play, i don't power through them, I switch to a game that is actually fun to play.

Formalhaut
01-04-2017, 01:03 PM
I was a lot more furtive with my game playing. When I was growing up, I was pretty much the only person I knew who enjoyed playing games (actively, not just playing the latest Fifa). It wasn't something I particularly talked about either, so I stuck with what I knew, which basically considered of two game series: Final Fantasy and the Professor Layton series. I didn't really branch out.

Since meeting Mr. Carny and and being on EoFF, I've branched out much more. My main jam is pretty much split evenly between BioWare (Mass Effect and Dragon Age) and JRPGs, still primarily Final Fantasy, but diving into one or two other series. I'm also bigger on visual novels and I like The Sims. And I love hacking away at Warriors games.

Someone mentioned couch-coop and if anything I've played a lot more of it, since being with Mr. Carny. We've played Borderlands 2 together (and the Pre-Sequel), Warriors games, and Beyond: Two Souls. Honestly, I wish there was more games that took it. Online multiplayer is fine, but there's nothing like playing with someone physically in the room.

Karifean
01-04-2017, 01:24 PM

This is a thread about games. :colbert:

Given the current state of the VN industry there's no point in making a distinction. :doublecolbert:

Might as well add tho, leaving VNs aside, I only scarcely play new games nowadays. The majority of time I spend on games is either spent on games I already know, or games where you can make your own levels and stuff. Final Fantasy XV is the first newly released game I'm playing shortly after it came out in a long time.

Formalhaut
01-04-2017, 01:47 PM
Might as well add tho, leaving VNs aside, I only scarcely play new games nowadays. The majority of time I spend on games is either spent on games I already know, or games where you can make your own levels and stuff. Final Fantasy XV is the first newly released game I'm playing shortly after it came out in a long time.

This is also the case with me, to be honest. I've had like five playthroughs of Dragon Age: Inquisition, just making new characters and builds. Similar cases with other Bioware games (though more like two or three). I love character creating. It's just so much fun. I have played a few new games in amongst the replays though. Mainly when I get tired of it for a bit.

FFNut
01-04-2017, 02:16 PM

This is also the case with me, to be honest. I've had like five playthroughs of Dragon Age: Inquisition, just making new characters and builds. Similar cases with other Bioware games (though more like two or three). I love character creating. It's just so much fun. I have played a few new games in amongst the replays though. Mainly when I get tired of it for a bit.

im the same as you there. I still play all the Dragon ages with new play through types as I experiment with different spells and builds.

Necronopticous
01-04-2017, 11:51 PM
I'm more of a snob. I think that about covers it.