PDA

View Full Version : A new EoFF Mafia

Pages : 1 [2]

Fox
01-13-2017, 01:49 PM
Fynn and Scruff.

THAT'S IT!!

I've come up with a new recipe!

It better be Fynn and Scruff. If it's Formy I'm going to have to go on some kind of rampage.

Fynn
01-13-2017, 01:51 PM
It was us. Basically confirmed in the other thread.

:roll:

Fynn
01-13-2017, 01:52 PM
Seriously though, once this is all said and done (in 24 hours time), can expert Mafia break down where I went wrong? Because I really need to learn how to read posts inquisitively and suss out suspicious activity. Gosh, first time playing town and I fail to spot a single Mafia? It's pathetic.

Will do this later. I'll try to make it worth your while.

Fox
01-13-2017, 01:53 PM
It was us. Basically confirmed in the other thread.

:roll:

So I see...

Did you kill Freya, Fynn? The reason I got so caught up on FFNut was because he was the unaccounted female character for murder 2, and as a girl had killed Qwerty that made sense. I completely missed that there could be a second killing role.

Shauna
01-13-2017, 02:03 PM
WHAT ABOUT NOCTIS!?!!?!?

Psychotic
01-13-2017, 02:03 PM
The lynch of Shauna was the tipping point, and I really like how the mafia got FF Nut to doubt Shauna's Shadow claim. Both Fynn and Scruffington said that it was likely that someone would lie about their character identity and then when Shauna claimed Fynn added a lovely "if she's telling the truth" after it. FFNut goes right in for that and then Scruffington seizes on this and absolutely hammers the nail in by saying what claiming Shadow is BS. Everyone else then swoops in and gg. Wonderful manipulation there fellas.

Fynn
01-13-2017, 02:08 PM
We basically won thanks to luck. And the fact that you Cosmos people were giving us your full cooperation ;)

Yes, Scruff did the first killing. If my guess is correct, we were incredibly lucky because it looks like Qwerty was the detective. Had we had anyone who could read alignments from the beginning, this would have gone way different.

So I followed the general rule I learned from IRL mafia - if you want to win as mafia, you have to roleplay. And by roleplay, I mean you have to roleplay as a town version of yourself (pretty obvious, doy). BUT, we were not anticipating the amount of details that the flavor text would contain. But I took to breaking it down anyway. I was worried I'd incriminate Scruffy - after all, there were two confirmed girls who could have performed the killing, Garnet and Lenna. Me pointing that out was almost guaranteed to get Scruff killed - if not on that turn, then on the next.

But in came Nutty. He was acting super suspicious, so I knew he could be used to divert attention away from Scruffy for the second day, but he turned out to be even more helpful than that with the Shauna suggestion which actually made sense in light of the fact that her claimed character hadn't appeared in the flavor text. I rolled with it, convincing enough people to vote Shauna, while Scruffy went in another direction, which really helped prevent people from associating us with each other until the very end of the game. Before we knew it, Shauna was lynched. We stood a chance after all.

Now, on the second night, we were facing huge risks. Scruffy and Nutty were bound to be watched by the investigators and we didn't know what roles they had and what they would learn about them. We thought killing Fox was the safest since a lot of factors pointed to him being the detective, but we were convinced Freya knew that herself and would protect him, so we took her down. I was actually thinking of killing nobody, since the flavor text would have given me away and there was no way Scruffy could do anything without getting discovered. But in the end, it paid off. Attention was diverted from both of us.

Now, everybody played well, but Freya and Shauna were definitely the most dangerous players. We were left with FFNut, who basically couldn't say anything that would let him defend himself; Fox, who was pretty hung up on the FFNut theory from the getgo; as well as Formy who only became more and more lost as everything he believed in crumbled to dust. At this point, we didn't even need to do much manipulation since everyone just banked on FFNut. Nobody noticed that I didn't point out what I pointed out the day before - that there may be two killers, that if lynch the wrong person, it's game over. And then there was the fact that AK was missing, which also worked to our advantage. So the third day was pretty much over before it started. IMO< the only way this could have been averted was if the Cosmos people took a step backwards and decided to reevaluate all the options from the start. Of course, there's still ways in which we could manipulate that (again, I think you were trying too hard to to "feel out" people rather than logically evaluate their motives for saying what they're saying, Formy, but that's easy for me to say since I had the high ground).

And then I killed AK in the end just because Fox and Formy were both convinced he's the bad guy and were screaming "TAKE ME FIRST", so I just wanted to twist the knife, so to speak :radred:

Also, as a sidenote, I know that I would have voted No Death on the first day even if I was Cosmos since I was just used to playing a variant of Mafia that always starts with Nighttime ^^;

Shauna
01-13-2017, 02:10 PM
Pretty much, yeah. No need to go into any more detail from there, because Day 3 would be the inevitable lynch of either myself or FFNut depending on who survived.

Mafia will sow seeds of distrust and light fires under misinformation and faulty logic. As soon as FFNut outright said "Shauna is lying", they propped that up further with support and more 'reasoning'. Boom, done.

Fynn
01-13-2017, 02:11 PM
Yeah. If that hadn't happened, I'd have lost Scruffy along the way and would have to struggle myself against the entire town, and I'd need to reduce it to two

So thanks a bunch, Nutty! :D

Fynn
01-13-2017, 02:13 PM
I also think this is delightfully ironic:

Can't sleep, clowns'll eat me. Can't sleep, clowns'll eat me. Can't-

Oh Fox. If only you knew that the clown was your only real ally XD

Fox
01-13-2017, 02:16 PM
Yeah. If that hadn't happened, I'd have lost Scruffy along the way and would have to struggle myself against the entire town, and I'd need to reduce it to two

So thanks a bunch, Nutty! :D

And it was YOU who killed Freya, not Scruffy, right?

Fynn
01-13-2017, 02:17 PM
Yup yup!

Fox
01-13-2017, 02:17 PM
Yup yup!

OK good.

I mean not good​, but... you know. It makes sense :P

Fynn
01-13-2017, 02:20 PM
That's why waiting for AK wouldn't have changed a thing - he watched Scruffy, and Scruffy did nothing at all. Another huge stroke of luck since had he watched Nutty and told everyone he did nothing, we'd have to improvise. Though I doubt we'd have much trouble convincing you guys that AK is actually on the Chaos side and in league with Nutty :p

Shauna
01-13-2017, 02:25 PM
What you can take from all this is if you're town, at the start of every day take a breath and read through everything. Don't jump right back on the bandwagon from the previous day. Your opinions are changeable, and that's olay!

I mean, I 180'd my opinion on FFNut when I died, with the reasons I highlighted in my PM to Karifean. It would have been tough to explain had I survived, but it's not against the rules to decide that someone isn't as Mafia as someone else.

Shauna
01-13-2017, 02:26 PM
Not necessarily, Fynn - AK could have seen Scruffy's alignment.

Shauna
01-13-2017, 02:28 PM
Ah well, turns out he couldn't. xD BUT it was a risk that you shouldn't have been willing to take.

Formalhaut
01-13-2017, 02:32 PM
You hardly paint a glowing picture of me, Fynn. It's a fair one, but it hurts all the same!

Can I make a suggestion for the host: can the start of each day be bookmarked in the OP? Because going through post trying to quote a suspicious post or find yesterday's vote count is really dull and tedious. It's a small thing, but it would really help.

I think what made me suffer was the flavour text discussion. Oh, that confused me no end.

Fynn
01-13-2017, 02:33 PM
The problem is, we carefully weighed all options. And there was no way we could avoid a huge risk. This was actually pretty much the safest route.

Psychotic
01-13-2017, 02:33 PM
AK's tracking - oh man, if he'd only done it the other way around!

Karifean
01-13-2017, 02:34 PM

No kidding. I felt so bad for him.

Formalhaut
Trust the Mafia to have two expert players in their midst. Between myself, the Town was basically babysitting me for most of it.

Fynn
You hardly paint a glowing picture of me, Fynn. It's a fair one, but it hurts all the same!

Can I make a suggestion for the host: can the start of each day be bookmarked in the OP? Because going through post trying to quote a suspicious post or find yesterday's vote count is really dull and tedious. It's a small thing, but it would really help.

I think what made me suffer was the flavour text discussion. Oh, that confused me no end.

But pinning it all to the OP defeats the whole purpose of this :p

The whole point of Mafia is staying alert and paying attention to everything! So you gotta dig yourself - the host can't just point you to what's important!

And hey, you asked for it, bro! You specifically asked the mafia to tell you where you went wrong.

Fynn
01-13-2017, 02:36 PM

No kidding. I felt so bad for him.

Yeah, that's the whole thing. As I said before, when you're mafia, winning depends largely on luck - when it comes to nighttime actions, at least. The lynching was the easy part, tbh.

Freya
01-13-2017, 02:40 PM
I had a feeling fynn was mafia. And that's why he wouldn't talk to me about books the other day cause I started the convo saying how mafia was crazy active and then wanted to talk about the silkworm book and he ignored me :colbert: I WANTED TO TALK ABOUT THAT BOOK FYNN

Formalhaut
01-13-2017, 02:41 PM
I know, but when I think to myself and say 'nothing went right, it shatters your confidence a bit.

And it's lazy, but trying to a bit where [x] claims to be [y] in a thirty page document is just intimidating. It'd take me half an hour to even check. To be honest, even with all that, I'd still be lost in the conversation. Ugh, why do I even bother.

What this tells me is I should keep a log of activity in real-time, so I don't even have to check back.

Fynn
01-13-2017, 02:44 PM
I had a feeling fynn was mafia. And that's why he wouldn't talk to me about books the other day cause I started the convo saying how mafia was crazy active and then wanted to talk about the silkworm book and he ignored me :colbert: I WANTED TO TALK ABOUT THAT BOOK FYNN

Seriously? That's your reasoning? MAYBE I DIDN'T WANT TO SPOIL ANYTHING HUH?

Btw, did you get to the murder yet? :jess:

Freya
01-13-2017, 02:45 PM
Yeah, ~back in my day~, when I actually analyzed every little detail instead of being lazy like I was this round, I kept a notepad next to me where I scribbled notes down as I read through things. It helped a lot.

Not yet but I'm a lot more into it than I was the cuckoo's calling. Also you know how I was complaining about the narrators voice, I think I like it now.

Fynn
01-13-2017, 02:46 PM
Yeah, ~back in my day~, when I actually analyzed every little detail instead of being lazy like I was this round, I kept a notepad next to me where I scribbled notes down as I read through things. It helped a lot.

I just wouldn't stop thinking about mafia and mulled over everything everyone said in my head at all times just to come up with how I can twist that to make myself and Scruff look innocent :bigsmile:

Really happy I can drop the act now, though

Formalhaut
01-13-2017, 02:47 PM
Did I actually do anything right? I can't stop thinking that me not even being there would have helped Town win.

I am so writing down notes next time, though.

Fynn
01-13-2017, 02:48 PM
So who wants to host the next one! :D Anyone up for the Danganronpa theme I mentioned? This time with alt accounts and everything!

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/danganronpa/images/b/b8/TZ7EgWK.jpg/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/670?cb=20130606182754

Freya
And yeah that's what set me off cause normally you'd be all hyped to talk about books xD Specially those books, so I thought maybe you were too busy with SHADY things. You almost always reply to me, and you weren't so I was suspicious :shifty:

Mind you this wasn't valid really in the game or anything and I thought I was just being crazy BUT TURNS OUT I WAS RIGHT baum baum baaaaummm

FFNut
I had scruff pegged at the end of day two. I thought AK may have been the other. Then I suspected Fox after that. Never really expected Fynn in the least. Well played Fynn.

Shauna
Fynn is right, and like I said before - you need to do all the reading yourself. You cannot rely on recaps from someone else. Mafia will attempt to twist those to suit their needs.

Fynn
01-13-2017, 02:49 PM
And yeah that's what set me off cause normally you'd be all hyped to talk about books xD Specially those books, so I thought maybe you were too busy with SHADY things. You almost always reply to me, and you weren't so I was suspicious :shifty:

Mind you this wasn't valid really in the game or anything and I thought I was just being crazy BUT TURNS OUT I WAS RIGHT baum baum baaaaummm

WELL IT'S SO GREAT FOR TOWN THAT YOU'RE BRINGING THIS UP NOW!

Shauna
01-13-2017, 02:50 PM
The ghost of Cecil should have dropped some hints.

Freya
"Hey guys, fynn always replies to me and lately he's not so he's a bad guy!"

Yeah okay, now i'm just a crazy socially anxious friend and they all know that!

Fynn
Scruffington did a great job too, honestly. If it weren't for the fact that the first culprit was revealed as a girl, I doubt anyone would have a reason to suspect him at all.

Shauna
01-13-2017, 02:51 PM
Yet nobody really did anyway. xD

Fynn
01-13-2017, 02:51 PM
"Hey guys, fynn always replies to me and lately he's not so he's a bad guy!"

Yeah okay, now i'm just a crazy socially anxious friend and they all know that!

It was actually because I'm just done talking to you. At all.

Jk, we're friends. We'll talk books more, I promise.

Freya
01-13-2017, 02:53 PM
I wanted to murder Scruff before the game started because he kept telling everyone that things were wrong and this is how it's supposed to be played. Drove me up the wall. But I didn't just throw my vote because I thought people would think I was doing it because of that reason.

This is why second accounts are good. I don't have any bias clouding my judgement.

FFNut
01-13-2017, 02:53 PM
I am already waiting to play again with all of you. Win or lose I had a blast. I was constantly thinking on who and what. Re-read the whole logs. I also now know the rules and know towns don't get a night vote that is private and a day vote that is public. I honestly did just misread the rules 30 mins into the game and thought we all had a secret night vote.

Fynn
01-13-2017, 02:55 PM
Did I actually do anything right? I can't stop thinking that me not even being there would have helped Town win.

I am so writing down notes next time, though.

Stop beating yourself up over it!

Look, if it makes you feel any better, you didn't lose because you sucked.

You lost because we were too good :smug:

Formalhaut
01-13-2017, 02:55 PM
I'm in a bit of a self-deprecating funk, but I did really have fun playing. I'm so up for playing new again!

Probably not hosting yet, though. This is only my third game. I feel like one of the winners should host.

FFNut
01-13-2017, 02:56 PM
Fynn doing a Dragon Quest theme?

Fynn
01-13-2017, 02:57 PM
Idk, I've only played one forum mafia so far, I'd like to do it again!

Karifean, perhaps you aren't opposed to hosting another one? :D After all, pretty sure you're the only one here who could do a When They Cry one!

Shauna
01-13-2017, 02:57 PM
Yeah, don't beat yourself up - learn from this so you know how to better play! As both a member of town and mafia.

Freya
01-13-2017, 02:58 PM
I think Psy said he wanted to do a quick one over a weekend too?

Psychotic
Don't worry, Formalhaut. You win some, you lose some. Have more confidence in yourself and don't allow others to lead you. Unless they're me. ;)

There seems to be clamour to play again. So do people want a game this weekend because if so I can make a game THIS WEEKEND and it'll be super cool.

edit: psychic freya

FFNut
I now know I can play better then this time. Picked up on a lot of tips from others and think that I wouldn't be soooo Shady next time. I am ready to go again.

FFNut
01-13-2017, 02:59 PM
If you are doing one Psy I am all in!

Fynn
Ok

I can probably do a Danganronpa one after that, then. I just need to figure out which format to follow. Definitely using alt accounts, though.

Shauna
Yeah, FFNut, you learned to PM the show runner if you have any questions. xD

Shauna
01-13-2017, 03:00 PM
Ok

I can probably do a Danganronpa one after that, then. I just need to figure out which format to follow. Definitely using alt accounts, though.

Let Psy know what you want with the alt accounts. We'll prep the ones we have for Mafia.

FFNut
Yes I did Shauna.

Psychotic
hey what about pokemon as a theme everyone likes pokemon (never mention the infamous EoFF slowpoke mafia incident)

Psychotic
01-13-2017, 03:01 PM
WAIT NO

EEVEELUTIONS AS A THEME

Fynn
01-13-2017, 03:01 PM
BUT THERE'S ONLY EIGHT!

Dibs on Sylveon tho

Fynn
01-13-2017, 03:02 PM
Ok

Let Psy know what you want with the alt accounts. We'll prep the ones we have for Mafia.

Will do! First, I'll need to learn how many participants there will be, though!

Formalhaut
Thanks guys. :)

I should remember this is my first time playing as a Town, and honestly it is so much... I wouldn't even say harder, just different. Really different. When I was Mafia before, I just took part enough in conversation to seem helpful but with no substance behind them. It's kinda a different change when you have to think intently about so many different people, different scenarios, possibilities. As Mafia it is simpler, as you know straight away everyone's alignments.

Karifean
I certainly wouldn't be opposed to the idea of hosting another one. It's just, I like to keep to the format with writeups when I do them, and maybe it'd be a good change of pace if we had a different one inbetween.

Regarding this format in general, I feel like I've learned a lot myself. But first, I'd like to hear from you guys, what do you think of it? Does it add or detract from the game, and in what ways?

Fynn
01-13-2017, 03:04 PM
It adds a deductive element, which I think is incredible. We actually get information that allows us to piece together what happened. On one hand, it leaves the mafia fewer places to hide, but the information is limited enough that they can still hide behind something. I think if we ever did this again, people would be much more reluctant to reveal their identities on day one :p

FFNut
01-13-2017, 03:05 PM
I liked the way you did it. It gave lots of info without giving a lot away.

Fynn
01-13-2017, 03:06 PM
You can do the When They Cry thing after the Danganronpa thing, then! :D Unless someone else wants to do it!

Freya
01-13-2017, 03:06 PM
I felt it gave too much away. :monster: I was easily outed in the second day. Saying someone protected someone else told them exactly what role there was doing what.

Formalhaut
01-13-2017, 03:07 PM
It adds a deductive element, which I think is incredible. We actually get information that allows us to piece together what happened. On one hand, it leaves the mafia fewer places to hide, but the information is limited enough that they can still hide behind something. I think if we ever did this again, people would be much more reluctant to reveal their identities on day one :p

Maybe not tell people whether write-ups will be long or short? That way people reveal what they want?

I have to say Karifean: you hosted a great game. Nothing really jumps out at me at all in terms of feedback. Maybe slightly less detail? I felt like the flavour text discussions too easily sidetracked stuff (allowing those lost like me to well... get lost) and allowed the Mafia too easy a time of twisting things, but then again: they were really good.

I liked it though. It adds another layer. Maybe slightly less detail?

Shauna
01-13-2017, 03:07 PM
A lot was given away, but it was also incredibly misleading in many ways, which is probably something the GM should intentionally do at all times. After all "A girl" was protected, and "A girl" was the killer, and they ended up being different people.

Except from the fact that almost everyone was outed on Day 2, that is something that shouldn't be able to happen. :3

Psychotic
01-13-2017, 03:08 PM
BUT THERE'S ONLY EIGHT!

Dibs on Sylveon thoNine with Eevee :)

Freya
01-13-2017, 03:09 PM
In fact, the investigative roles could easily have been thought to be one of the various different ones when they "visited" each other. but my flavor text gave everything away of what I was as a role. Even if they didn't figure out it was me, they knew there was one doctor. The investigative ones you have to guess, identifier, tracker, detective etc

Fynn
01-13-2017, 03:13 PM
In fact, the investigative roles could easily have been thought to be one of the various different ones when they "visited" each other. but my flavor text gave everything away of what I was as a role. Even if they didn't figure out it was me, they knew there was one doctor. The investigative ones you have to guess, identifier, tracker, detective etc

Idk, it's not that obvious. I didn't say this during play, since I didn't want to throw a wrench into our plans, but I actually wasn't sure for the longest time whether it was you or Shauna that was Cecil, since you didn;t reveal your identity, and Shauna could have wanted to disguise her identity as a protector to keep herself (and the town) safe.

So up until she was confirmed to be Shadow, I was not sure :p

Freya
01-13-2017, 03:15 PM
"Casts a protective spell before leaving" in the flavor text made sure to cement there was a doctor.

Karifean
01-13-2017, 03:16 PM
"Casts a protective spell before leaving" in the flavor text made sure to cement there was a doctor.

Well in this particular game the fact that there was a Protector was established in the rules.

Formalhaut
01-13-2017, 03:17 PM
Maybe only the kill should be embellished with detail?Or maybe omit the doctor and only say a spell was cast over [x]?

I agree with Freya, it was very easy to guess the doctor.

FFNut
01-13-2017, 03:19 PM
Ya I never had the doctor guessed right away, but when we had the information of identities it pointed directly to Freya.

Freya
01-13-2017, 03:20 PM
Scruff was waaay too easily able to deduce there was a doctor and who it may be on day two because of the flavor text. I debated on claiming a different identity but by that point it went too far and I was like :gator: hence the increased use of my smilies in game such as :gator: haha

Saying "a white knight" rather than the generic a girl, a girl, a boy, that the others got made it easier.

Karifean
01-13-2017, 03:23 PM
Maybe only the kill should be embellished with detail?Or maybe omit the doctor and only say a spell was cast over [x]?

I agree with Freya, it was very easy to guess the doctor.

Very true, it was easy to deduce. That is one of the dangers of being open about your identity as a townie in this variant. Imagine if instead every townie had been silent about it - nobody would've had anything to go off of in regards to who the Protector was and their identity would've been vague for a while longer. On the other hand, it would've been much harder for the townies to make any suspicions based on identity as well. Both being open and being silent has its advantages. I think the idea of the identity-based flavor text is a little lost if there is no hint towards a role's identity in the text.

Although there are exceptions of course, I still admit that revealing the first night's killer to be a girl (when there were only two players that would be described as such) was a mistake on my part.

From my point of view, the fact that the Protector was so easily identified was simply because the townies (and Mafia too, ironically) were so open about their identities; I actually expected people to be generally secretive about their identity , it's what happened in my own first game in this variant. And I think it's okay for it to be a risk vs reward type situation where you risk exposing your more important roles while potentially cornering the Mafia in the process.

Freya
01-13-2017, 03:24 PM
Don't get me wrong, I thought it gave an extra element to the game which I found fun, I just think some of the descriptors gave too much away. To a point that I don't really see the need of the identifier role.

Which I figured out day 2 as well with this post

I dunno, i'm pretty confident now that if Fox is Cid, and that is accurate, that I've figured out his role :monster: I should have kept that all to myself now in hindsight to not out him.... but meh :gator: it's been posted, can't edit it out or anything.

That is, if Fox is actually cid and cid is the old man referred to and the flavor text aligns with his role the way I'm thinking it does.

I mean, a knight as a protector? These roles fit their identities. It would make sense that Cid knows everyone but just has to "remember" it when using their action.

Oh and I was totally dropping hints to townies I was the doctor but not actually saying it. xD If I talk about my own role as if i'm not, no one would suspect :shifty: right?

I thought shauna would get it. That's really who I thought would get it.

Formalhaut
01-13-2017, 03:24 PM
The valuable the role, the less detail should be given. Having the killer be named only through gender is fair enough; maybe detective/doctor should have that same level of obscurity? Less vital roles like identifier could have a fuller description, likewise with targets of actions, like 'colourfully dressed man'.

It's just what I think. I know others feel different, but much of the tension and balance went after the doctor was revealed, because Freya was an obvious target from that point on.

Shauna
01-13-2017, 03:25 PM
I think that's because identities have not been historically important in EoFF Mafia games. I didn't think much of it either, as we only really started dissecting it after I had also revealed, but as we went on it was like "Nope, this is actually really important and we know who everyone is now".

Formalhaut
01-13-2017, 03:28 PM
Yeah, no-one thought it was important Day One, so I was like "mwah ahaha! I am Kefka", not knowing that such identities would be very important in the writeups. No-one knew how much detail there would be; I assumed it'd be the regular amount.

Freya
01-13-2017, 03:29 PM
I think that's because identities have not been historically important in EoFF Mafia games. I didn't think much of it either, as we only really started dissecting it after I had also revealed, but as we went on it was like "Nope, this is actually really important and we know who everyone is now".
That too. We typically use identities, on our second accounts, as flavor to roleplay as. So this threw a lot of people off too.

In fact even as the game start I was still really confused on what the point of them and the identifier role was even for. It seemed like useless nonsense to me. But I kept fighting for the fact that this CAN be played that way rather than understanding it.

Shauna
01-13-2017, 03:31 PM
So basically we all broke the game.

Karifean
01-13-2017, 03:34 PM
Well that's fine. I didn't expect you guys to realize it either, if anything I was surprised when Scruffington came out and casually put all the pieces together.

I did post example games where the power of the writeups could be seen, but nobody ever reads those things anyway.

Well, now you know. =P

Really I think this format is especially well-suited to if you want to have a lot of crazy roles or extra rules in play and you want the players to figure it out as they go. I went with a simple game for the sake of easing everyone into the format, but ultimately, complex crazy messes are more of its thing.

If anyone else does ever feel like hosting a game with the same general format, my main pieces of advice would be to 1. have two-ish vanilla town players for every Mafia role that cannot be a town role (most notably the Murderer, or in this game, the Lackeys) and 2. be *very* careful about how explicit you are with information. I conversed with the game master of my previous Mafia games during the game and he told me about how he usually only gets more explicit during later night phases, and I think that's a better way to go. I got too caught up in giving everyone a recognizable trait in the writeups.

Freya
01-13-2017, 03:36 PM
I did actually look at some of those links and was still confused. I read a little bit, went to the night phases and I just didn't understand it.

Also that forum was weird.

But that's also why I shut the smurf up about my identity.

Fynn
01-13-2017, 03:37 PM
I did actually look at some of those links and was still confused. I read a little bit, went to the night phases and I just didn't understand it.

Also that forum was weird.

Maybe ours is the weird one.

Freya
01-13-2017, 03:38 PM
Ahh nah it was the way replies worked, the layout, it was... weird to me? Like comment sections and less forumy? That's what I mean

FFNut
01-13-2017, 03:46 PM
As I had a vanilla role being a newbie all I had was the info from the posts, and what people said. I think my biggest mistake was a quick vote on Fynn day2.

I only did that to see how people would react and see if anyone would slip up and give information. Didn't realize it was a shady thing to do really. Thought if he was Mafia he would try and claim innocence in a way with heels dug in and maybe even give a personal shot to me for suggesting it. I was also looking at others to see how they responded, if they would hop on the band wagon or kind of just toss it aside.

It had nothing to do with Fynn himself, it just happend to be the last name I read and it was in my head.

Fox
01-13-2017, 03:58 PM
My one issue was that the role of 'identifier' didn't seem particularly useful when it's not tied to a role. If everyone had kept their identities secret, I gradually could have started identifying people and figuring out who was doing what actions. But it would have taken half a dozen nights to identify enough people to make that useful.

So just a balance complaint than any issue with the ruleset :)

FFNut
01-13-2017, 04:09 PM
If only you checked me out that night instead of Scruffy Fox we may have stood a shot because Scruffy was on my list with AK, and we would have nailed him.

Fynn
01-13-2017, 04:10 PM
But the only thing Fox could really do was confirm that Scruffy was indeed Garnet. That really wouldn't have made much of a change.

FFNut
01-13-2017, 04:12 PM
I thought Fox had the if you did something that night power. I knew Scruff was Garnet and he said his checks cleared Scruff.

Fox
01-13-2017, 04:14 PM
I could have given him an alibi though. If the flavour text had told me that FFNut was in the room with me while the murder occurred, it might have shifted the balance.

I said "I can confirm Scruffy is at least somewhat honest". By which I meant "he said he was Garnet and he is". ...That's kinda all I had to contribute on that one

FFNut
01-13-2017, 04:17 PM
Ok I thought you had the did they act at night role.

Fynn
01-13-2017, 04:23 PM
I know these roles can be hard to grasp, Nutty, but don't worry - normally when you play mafia, the roles are much simpler. Usually, mafia just kills, and there's a protector and a detective. And that's it.

Freya
01-13-2017, 04:24 PM
Now that you all are on a detective kick, please engage me as I freak out about Sherlock and Westworld theories. :colbert: Because Mark Gatniss said there were hints at the reveal that happened in Ep2 of Season 4 all the way back in the beginning and that we're missing a lot. And I have many theories and want to discuss them

And the Westworld website has new information about some characters and guys

i am needing to deduce.

FFNut
01-13-2017, 04:24 PM
No I do think I have it down for the most part.

Fynn
01-13-2017, 04:26 PM
Now that you all are on a detective kick, please engage me as I freak out about Sherlock and Westworld theories. :colbert: Because Mark Gatniss said there were hints at the reveal that happened in Ep2 of Season 4 all the way back in the beginning and that we're missing a lot. And I have many theories and want to discuss them

And the Westworld website has new information about some characters and guys

i am needing to deduce.

BUT SPOILERS!

I'm not touching Sherlock until the season is concluded. As always.

Scruffington
01-13-2017, 04:41 PM
Given that Faris could not be the killer as she had performed an investigative action that leaves the three of us. One of us has to be mafia. Scruffy cannot claim to be town, while claiming that both myself and FFNut are town. It just cannot work. And Scruffy is a smart player, he should know this, and I'm sure he does - he's just counting on the town overlooking it, which I am confident they will.

That's not true. The mafia roles had claimed that there would be a supplementary role in addition to a Murderer (if they didn't have two Lackeys). I used this to my advantage to push town towards the idea that AK could be mafia. I knew that if I didn't lynch FFNut or Shauna and it turned out Shauna was town, FFNut would appear incredibly scummy and would be an easy lynch the next day.

I wanted to murder Scruff before the game started because he kept telling everyone that things were wrong and this is how it's supposed to be played. Drove me up the wall. But I didn't just throw my vote because I thought people would think I was doing it because of that reason.

This is why second accounts are good. I don't have any bias clouding my judgement.

For the second time, stop putting words in my mouth. I never said that things were 'wrong' nor that the game is 'supposed' to be played in any specific way. I said multiple times that it isn't the way mafia is played, because it wasn't a traditional game.

I personally thought my game was over after the first kill. Karifean revealed my identity to everyone, which made it a 50/50 chance that it was either me or FFNut was the killer. That was until I was able to asspull a theory that Faris could somehow be the killer.

The real clincher was having Fynn kill on the night Fox was going to investigate me. I figured someone would be watching me to determine if myself or FFNut is guilty..and it proved out to be a really good call.

Freya
01-13-2017, 04:41 PM
The final episode is sunday for this season!

Fynn
01-13-2017, 04:47 PM

For the second time, stop putting words in my mouth. I never said that things were 'wrong' nor that the game is 'supposed' to be played in any specific way. I said multiple times that it isn't the way mafia is played, because it wasn't a traditional game.

Sh, guys. No fighting. We are family here. It's time to put all grievances and misunderstandings behind us! :D

Freya
01-13-2017, 04:56 PM
Well in standard mafia, certain things are communicated to you and certain things aren't.

That's my opinion at least, different GMs host it different ways. It's still fun, that's just my preference.

That's not really the way mafia is played.

The host always has to list the roles in the game, but some can be made a surprise.

It should always address the killer by their alignment, not their identity or role in the game (i.e. Serial Killer or Mafia). Additionally all investigative actions should not be made public and only communicated to the players performing said actions.

I never said that things were 'wrong' nor that the game is 'supposed' to be played in any specific way.

So with this evidence I've laid out now ##vote: Scruffington ;)

Fynn
01-13-2017, 04:56 PM
Guys. Enough.

This is not a thread for handing people receits for what they said and what wording they used. Please keep your personal business personal.

Shauna
01-13-2017, 05:00 PM
Given that Faris could not be the killer as she had performed an investigative action that leaves the three of us. One of us has to be mafia. Scruffy cannot claim to be town, while claiming that both myself and FFNut are town. It just cannot work. And Scruffy is a smart player, he should know this, and I'm sure he does - he's just counting on the town overlooking it, which I am confident they will.

That's not true. The mafia roles had claimed that there would be a supplementary role in addition to a Murderer (if they didn't have two Lackeys). I used this to my advantage to push town towards the idea that AK could be mafia. I knew that if I didn't lynch FFNut or Shauna and it turned out Shauna was town, FFNut would appear incredibly scummy and would be an easy lynch the next day.

Buuut they could only have one action per night - Karifean clarified this. So Faris investigated, taking her out of the possible killer roles.

Scruffington
01-13-2017, 05:01 PM
Well in standard mafia, certain things are communicated to you and certain things aren't.

That's my opinion at least, different GMs host it different ways. It's still fun, that's just my preference.

That's not really the way mafia is played.

The host always has to list the roles in the game, but some can be made a surprise.

It should always address the killer by their alignment, not their identity or role in the game (i.e. Serial Killer or Mafia). Additionally all investigative actions should not be made public and only communicated to the players performing said actions.

I never said that things were 'wrong' nor that the game is 'supposed' to be played in any specific way.

So with this evidence I've laid out now ##vote: Scruffington ;)

And not at any point did I say that things in this game were 'wrong.'

But go ahead, you can continue lying about what I really said. I even sent you a VM apologizing if you misunderstood me and made an effort to clear things up, yet you straight up ignored it and have continued on with this immature assumption.

I'm not going to let someone sit here and try and twist my words.

Del Murder
01-13-2017, 05:05 PM
Good show mafia. Scruff was the one I suspected after the first day, but the other two were Formal and FFNut so I only got half of it. I definitely was not on to Fynn.

Scruffington
01-13-2017, 05:05 PM

Buuut they could only have one action per night - Karifean clarified this. So Faris investigated, taking her out of the possible killer roles.

I must have glossed over that part. I was really just hoping town would get lost in the details. :P

Shauna
01-13-2017, 05:06 PM
And they certainly did! You slipped up pretty majorly, but only a ghost of a shadow noticed. xD

Scruffington
01-13-2017, 05:23 PM
Thanks for hosting the game Karifean. Sorry I got upset after you revealed my identity. I think you did a good job hosting, and you put a lot of effort into the game. I appreciate how you made an effort to get another game of Mafia going and it was definitely fun for me overall.

Every game can be a little rough around the edges, but I'd be happy to play another one regardless of the theme.

I think I realized from this game that the community here is pretty cool. And Fynn is the realest homie. If I ever felt like leaving before, I don't anymore. :P

Fynn
01-13-2017, 05:25 PM
Thanks for hosting the game Karifean. Sorry I got upset after you revealed my identity. I think you did a good job hosting, and you put a lot of effort into the game. I appreciate how you made an effort to get another game of Mafia going and it was definitely fun for me overall.

Every game can be a little rough around the edges, but I'd be happy to play another one regardless of the theme.

I think I realized from this game that the community here is pretty cool. And Fynn is the realest homie. If I ever felt like leaving before, I don't anymore. :P

Yeh, we did a good job working together :p

FFNut
01-13-2017, 06:03 PM
Guys. Enough.

This is not a thread for handing people receits for what they said and what wording they used. Please keep your personal business personal.

cant agree enough. I played pro hockey half my life. During the game things would get heated in the moment, but win or lose the best thing you could do is leave those heated emotions in the game. I had a situation were one guy was playing really dirty against us. Cheap shots the works. The next day he was traded to our team and he had to walk into our dressing room. We would have doomed his whole career if we didn't leave emotions on the ice, and shake his hand and say welcome to the team. It also would have split the team and all of us would suffer.

I li have zero ill feelings about getting Lynched or being suspected or anything. It is a game and I treat it as such. We all want to win and so we all will play hard. It isn't a personal thing at all.

Karifean
01-13-2017, 06:05 PM
I'm glad you enjoyed it ;)

It was quite fun seeing the Mafia manage to pull off their gambit after it looked rather desperate on the morning of the second day.

Now let's have fun killing each other in this next game.

Quindiana Jones
01-23-2017, 12:06 AM
Oh god. I just found out Mafia is basically Werewolf, which is one of my favourite games, and now I'm mourning the lost opportunities!

When is the next game? Can it be now? Can it be right now? D:

qwertysaur
01-23-2017, 12:17 AM
Formy and myself are putting everything together now.

Quindiana Jones
01-23-2017, 12:20 AM
Hell yes. I'm in. For this and all future games.[/qwerty]

Formalhaut
01-23-2017, 12:37 AM
Formy and myself are putting everything together now.

We are. Sorry I didn't get around to Mognetting you over the weekend, Qwerty! I'll be sure to get around to it tomorrow.

FFNut
01-23-2017, 11:32 AM
If you are doing one Formy I'll sign up!

Bubba
01-23-2017, 11:41 AM
I have never lost at Mafia.

Karifean
01-23-2017, 02:09 PM

You have also never played a game against me.

What a curious correlation.

Bubba
01-23-2017, 02:42 PM

You have also never played a game against me.

What a curious correlation.

Fixed

:monster:

Mr. Carnelian
01-23-2017, 02:53 PM
Count me in for the next mafia. This time, I aim to make it past the first day. :p

Formalhaut
01-23-2017, 05:20 PM
Count me in for the next mafia. This time, I aim to make it past the first day. :pYeah, that's pretty bad luck. Day Two is when the serious Mafia stuff happens.

Quindiana Jones
01-26-2017, 07:32 PM
Has it started?

...Have I won? :ohdear:

qwertysaur
01-26-2017, 09:26 PM
http://home.eyesonff.com/showthread.php/169340-EoFF-Mafia-XVII-Signup-Thread

It is time

Fynn
02-17-2017, 12:25 PM
Btw, I wanna host the next one, whenever that will be. It's gonna be Danganronpa themed and I wanna implement some... twists to the formula :D

Formalhaut
02-17-2017, 12:28 PM
The sign-up hosting thing is stickied! You can put yourself down there!

Fynn
02-17-2017, 12:29 PM
Wat!

Dat's dumb

Fynn
02-17-2017, 12:30 PM
Ugh, two more games? Laaaame. People will get burnt out by mafia by then.

Whatever. Scrap that idea then. I'm happy I at least have Karifean's mafia to look forward to :D

Fynn
02-17-2017, 06:51 PM
The stupidest part? That sign-up was made way after I'd already said I wanted to make one after the one that was happening back then :grumble:

Shauna
02-17-2017, 07:29 PM
Ugh, two more games? Laaaame. People will get burnt out by mafia by then.

This mafia #27. I doubt we're going to get burnout.

Formalhaut
02-17-2017, 07:31 PM
And to be honest, I'm pretty sure there'll be a gap in-between. I mean, this game started like, at least two weeks after Psy's game.

Fynn
02-17-2017, 08:11 PM
I still have to wait much longer than I should :grumble:

Freya
02-17-2017, 08:20 PM
Have we had a Game of Thrones theme? I just want a host to end a day saying "The night is dark and full of terrors"

Mr. Carnelian
02-18-2017, 04:24 PM
Have we had a Game of Thrones theme? I just want a host to end a day saying "The night is dark and full of terrors"

Bagsy badass Granny Tyrell.