PDA

View Full Version : Why does Sin attack Dream Zanarkand?

Kappy
12-26-2016, 11:20 AM
A question that has puzzled me for a while since playing the PS4 Remaster...

As I understand it (even though it's never really explained in the game and was added into the Ultimania), Dream Zanarkand and its inhabitants are a physical entity on Spira out on the sea near Baaj Temple. It's being summoned by Yu-Yevon like an Aeon, with the fayth to the summoning being our chums at the top of Gagazet.

Sin is the creature created by Yu-Yevon to protect him and defend Dream Zanarkand, and attack civilisations around Spira to make sure they don't advance far enough to discover the city.

So why does Sin attack and destroy it at the beginning of the game? :erm:

Sephiroth
12-26-2016, 12:38 PM
A question that has puzzled me for a while since playing the PS4 Remaster...

As I understand it (even though it's never really explained in the game and was added into the Ultimania), Dream Zanarkand and its inhabitants are a physical entity on Spira out on the sea near Baaj Temple. It's being summoned by Yu-Yevon like an Aeon, with the fayth to the summoning being our chums at the top of Gagazet.

Sin is the creature created by Yu-Yevon to protect him and defend Dream Zanarkand, and attack civilisations around Spira to make sure they don't advance far enough to discover the city.

So why does Sin attack and destroy it at the beginning of the game? :erm:

The game itself does it imply it well enough with Maechen's stories that Zanarkand is a manifest existant to protect the legacy of the dead.

Also [Sin] attacks Zanarkand because at that point Jecht still has some control over his own consciousness and therefore was able to go to Tidus whom he want to be in the rest of Spira. Of course he cannot fully control himself so he cannot actually and totally do something against the actual destruction. [Sin] itself does follow some instinctive code a bit and therefore does not attack all and everything but that is no 100% guarantee - as you can see in the story where it clearly attacks targets that would be no problem for Spira at all. Also Jecht sort of during the entire story wants Tidus to see that with him transforming into [Sin] he basically has to defeat him because exactly that happens and he does not want it to continue.

So the same reason why Angeal does want to get killed by Zack. Angeal is not 100% fully perfect like Sephiroth and fears that one day the Jenova cells could fully take over control (something that cannot happen with Sephiroth), making him the enemy of the world. Therefore he transforms into a monster in advance so Zack has to kill him.