PDA

View Full Version : Game of the Year 2016 Edition

Wolf Kanno
01-01-2017, 06:50 AM
It's the end of the year still for a few of usbut what the hell, let's ask the question. What was your Game of the Year?

To make this fun, you can do one that is only for games released this year and one for any game you played this year for the first time.

I did not play a whole lot of new games this year but of the two I did, I may give this to Final Fantasy XV Brotrip, with I am Setsuna being a close second.

In terms of playing for the first time, probably The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask. Wind Waker would be my second choice.

Night Fury
01-01-2017, 07:10 AM
It's hands down Overwatch for me! Followed by Stardew Valley, and then Pokemon Moon!

Galuf
01-01-2017, 07:10 AM
Completed: sun n moon
playing: ffxv.

played for first time: definatly ffxiv. Forget game o the year. Its game o the decade. ( will forget it before 2026lol

Squall Leonhart Loire
01-01-2017, 08:02 AM
Dragon Quest VII and then World of Final Fantasy.

Fynn
01-01-2017, 08:52 AM
I've only played one game that came out this year, so DQVII in terms of that.

Have to think about the other half.

Sephiroth
01-01-2017, 10:58 AM
I. The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess High Definition, and the HD does not matter, Twilight Princess itself has such a power it instantly brought me back to the franchise, the GameCube version would have done as well. it actually had, as I tried it out last ... now, 2 years ago.
II. World of Final Fantasy & Final Fantasy XV
III. Life is Strange
IV. The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time
V. The Legend of Zelda Wind Waker High Definition
VI. Gravity Rush Remastered & Atelier Sophie The Adventurer of the Mysterious Book

FFNut
01-01-2017, 11:51 AM
I don't know if I played anything but Forza Horizons 3 or EA NHL 17. Guess I will go with Forza, though am going to hope on FFXV soon.

Fox
01-01-2017, 12:20 PM
Honestly I didn't play too much released last year. XCOM2, FFXV, DOOM, DXMD and The Last Guardian. I haven't finished TLG or DOOM yet so... my vote goes to XCOM 2!

In terms of games I played for the first time: Gravity Rush Remastered. Gosh that's such a good game, and I only completed it yesterday making it my final completed game of 2016. As a game designer the amount of smart systems at play in that game make it extra special, and Kat is a wonderful protagonist. She's just such a nice, normal girl who happens to have this super power. I like how she's smitten with the dorky bomb disposal guy and I wish he would pay more attention to her.

Also, this is probably the best Vita -> PS4 Remaster I've ever seen.

Gravity Rush Remastered & Atelier Sophie The Adventurer of the Mysterious Book

Great minds think alike! I bought Gravity Rush and my first ever Atelier game at the same time just before Christmas. Although I got Atelier Ayesha, I'm gonna wait for Sophie to come out on Steam.

Aulayna
01-01-2017, 12:31 PM
Overwatch hands down.

Psychotic
01-01-2017, 01:09 PM
Stardew Valley was completely untouchable. I haven't had my life invaded by a game for so long. Even when I wasn't playing it, Stardew was there. I'd think about my plans while I was in the shower or at work and as soon as I'd get home I'd throw it on immediately, which is rare for me. I've also never really been one for happy, whimsical, charming, whatever you want to call it games but this one really nailed it for me. It just made me really happy to play it.

The best multiplayer game was Overcooked. If you're looking for a quick casual PC/console couch co-op game for 2-4 players you will not find any better. Very simple and easy to pick up. It's frantic, funny, frustrating but so satisfying at the same time. Word of warning, it will absolutely ruin all of your friendships.

Best DLC was Fallout 4's Nuka World. Disneyland meets Fallout? There are no words. Wonderful aesthetic and some interesting quests. The option to become a Raider is long overdue too.

Lastly, an honourable mention. Although it had many flaws, particularly in the way of its poorly told story, I had fun with FFXV as a game and I put a lot of enjoyable hours into it.

Scruffington
01-01-2017, 04:29 PM
GOTY for me is Uncharted 4.

Pretty easy decision for me. Naughty Dog are hands down one of the absolute best developers in the industry. Uncharted 4 is an incredible game.

Second would be Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice, and third would be Overwatch.

In terms of games not released in 2016? I played Danganronpa 1 & 2 this year. Amazing games. I can't wait for V3 to come out in 2017.

Karifean
01-01-2017, 05:57 PM
Technically Umineko was released this year :monster:

For a more reasonable 2016 choice, The House in Fata Morgana (https://vndb.org/v12402). It kinda came out of nowhere and then all of a sudden a notable portion of the VN community was showering it with praise and, well, turns out it certainly deserved it.

Honorable mention (for first played this year) goes to Touhou 11: Subterranean Animism. Awesome game.

LunarWeaver
01-01-2017, 07:19 PM
Overwatch.

NeoCracker
01-01-2017, 07:44 PM
I already have my top ten linked in my Signature, but fuck it here it is without the brief descriptions of each title.

10. Enter the Gungeon.
9. Nights of Azure.
8. Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel 2
7. Trillion: God of Destruction
6. Moon Hunters
5. Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth
4. Furi
3. Dark Souls 3
2. Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse
1. Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir

And other good games that didn't make the cut.

Ultratron (PS4)
Dyna Bomb (PC)
Suits: A business RPG (PC)
Pokemon Go (Mobile)
Hatsune Miku: Project Diva X (PS4)
Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past (3DS)
World of Final Fantasy (PS4)
Overwatch (PC)
Pokemon Moon (3DS)
Shantae (PS4)
Stardew Valley

Pumpkin
01-01-2017, 11:32 PM
Game of the year released this year: Trails of Cold Steel 2
Game of the year that I played this year: Probably the Walking Dead Season 1

Vermachtnis
01-02-2017, 03:53 AM
GOTY: Overwatch,
Runner Ups.: Cyber Sleuth, Neptunia VII, and Dragon Quest VII.

Overwatch is just a ton of fun. And Cyber Sleuth and Neptunia both told stories that's more serious for them while still keeping their humor. And I absolutely love Dragon Quest VII. I think it might be my favorite in the series.

Old GOTY: Undertale
Runner Up: Shantae: Risky's Revenge

Gotta admit, I put off Undertale because of all the hype and it's fandom. But it deserves all the hype. And fandoms will fandumb, nothing you can do about that. And Risky's Revenge is a lot of fun. I beat it with full intentions of getting The Pirate's Curse, but I got distracted and now I need to play that and 1/2 Genie Hero.

I was pretty bad about beating games this year. I need to work on that this year. I personally blame Overwatch and XIV. They keep distracting me.

Fynn
01-02-2017, 10:24 AM
Okay, of I know. The best older game that I played for the first time this year was Undertale. No contest.

FFNut
01-02-2017, 11:59 AM
The best older game I played this year was Uncharted Waters 2 New Horizons for the SNES. Great game still with tons of replayability. Still great for being released in 199X.

Loony BoB
01-03-2017, 01:26 PM
Games I bought that were released in 2016 were...

Firewatch
Uncharted 4
Pokémon Go
No Man's Sky
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
World of Final Fantasy
Final Fantasy XV

Honestly, I can't quite put my finger on exactly what it is about Firewatch but for the lower price, I think it probably won out for me as game of the year... maybe. Of the bigger name games, I'll probably go with World of Final Fantasy. But Uncharted 4, FFXV and Deus Ex were all real contenders. NMS wasn't as awful to me as it was to most people, but it wasn't on the level of the other games.

Sephex
01-05-2017, 03:13 AM
Stardew Valley for me. I got pretty far, but my girlfriend got so into the game that I basically let her have at it. I plan on going back to my file one day and rounding it off. Did most of the major stuff as it is!

Spuuky
01-05-2017, 09:37 AM
It's not Dark Souls 1, but Dark Souls 3 was still the best 2016 release that I played. I'm usually several years "behind" though so I haven't played a few others that I suspect might be contenders.

Del Murder
01-05-2017, 07:53 PM
Uncharted 4 was the best game released in 2016 that I played. Pokemon Sun may beat it once I get around to it.

Still the game I had the most fun with this year was Dragon Age Inquisition.

sharkythesharkdogg
01-06-2017, 09:44 PM
So far it's King's Quest. The first chapter was released in 2015, but the majority of the game was released in 2016.

I'm not sure if that makes it legal for 2016 or not, but right now it's beating out XCOM2.

I haven't had a chance to play Doom or Uncharted 4 yet, so it may change.

DMKA
01-07-2017, 11:16 PM
Man, it's hard for me. I really loved Final Fantasy XV, Uncharted 4, and Watch Dogs 2, nearly equally for different reasons.

Slothy
01-08-2017, 12:36 PM
Overwatch is the only choice for game of the year for me.

Pike
01-09-2017, 12:18 AM
Game of the Year That Was Released This Year: Pokemon Sun
Game of the Year That I Played For The First Time This Year: Dragon Age Origins, noooo contest. It's already weaseled its way into my Top Five of All Time list.

Skyblade
01-09-2017, 06:17 AM
I heard that official multiplayer support was coming for Stardew Valley, and that would be awesome.

FinalxxSin
01-14-2017, 09:32 PM
While FFXV does have its share of flaws in its current state, it's still easily the best game for me this gen. I'll be looking forward to seeing how the game shapes up as it gets closer to its final form.
https://i.imgflip.com/1ho3jw.jpg

Mr. Carnelian
01-15-2017, 07:25 PM
New in 2016: Uncharted 4
A great end to a great game series. Nathan Drake is by far my favourite of the many rugged straight white male protagonists.

Played for first time in 2016: Samurai Warriors 4
I'm not saying it's the greatest game ever, but I didn't play many new games last year, and it's a lot of fun.