PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy VII: An Oral History

charliepanayi
01-09-2017, 08:22 PM
Amazing, in-depth article here on FFVII talking to all the major figures involved with it. Well worth a read.

http://www.polygon.com/a/final-fantasy-7

Squall Leonhart Loire
01-09-2017, 08:46 PM
The game's development is astonishing to me.

Depression Moon
01-09-2017, 08:54 PM
I'm still reading this and am still on the Origins part. I am enjoying this a lot. I would like something like this to be written for IX, but given it's not nearly as popular as VII I doubt it will happen. I'd do it myself if I could, but I don't think I have the resources to do it.

Squall Leonhart Loire
01-09-2017, 09:05 PM
I'm still reading this and am still on the Origins part. I am enjoying this a lot. I would like something like this to be written for IX, but given it's not nearly as popular as VII I doubt it will happen. I'd do it myself if I could, but I don't think I have the resources to do it.
I'd like something done this for VIII as well but VII is what made this series and the JRPG genre as a whole more popular. I mean, I know people who have only played Final Fantasy VII(and perhaps to a lesser extent, Final Fantasy X). They haven't touched any of the other games and have not touched any other JRPG. VII is just a legendary game for those who don't even play the genre.

charliepanayi
01-09-2017, 09:15 PM
Yeah FFVII is THE FF milestone game. Plus this has been published to mark the upcoming 20th anniversary.

krissy
01-11-2017, 06:46 PM
great article
like even just in terms of length
30 000 words lol

Psychotic
01-12-2017, 04:52 PM
Very interesting insight into some of their decisions.

Nice
01-18-2017, 04:00 PM
Lol. I just finished reading this article. I then had the thought to post it here, but see I was beating to it. It's a great retrospective of the the game, Square and its practices and the fallout of the game's success.

I think in the subtext there is this very clear idea that because the game did so well, Square become reckless in some of its decision making. That recklessness led to the exit of most of the important figures at the company. Also clearly Sakaguchi comes across as a dick.