PDA

View Full Version : You just won the lottery!

Freya
01-12-2017, 02:37 PM
But you can't spend the money on yourself, unfortunately.

What do you use the money for?

Karifean
01-12-2017, 02:45 PM
Plane tickets for everyone to come to Austria for a Mafia get-together.

Now you really have no excuses. :colbert:

Night Fury
01-12-2017, 02:55 PM
Sort out my family in a modest way - (not buy them mansions and sports cars) and then just go on kickstarter and pay for artists, struggling families, projects...

Pumpkin
01-12-2017, 03:07 PM
Charities~

Also do stuff like pay off people's medical bills where I can and whatever

Scruffington
01-12-2017, 03:14 PM
Buy my dad and grandparents new houses.

Fynn
01-12-2017, 03:15 PM
Pay off my parents' debt

Lyndis Highwind
01-12-2017, 05:26 PM
Pay off my parent's and siblings' bills and get them better houses, and just help my family financially whenever they need it. Then I would use the rest for charity.

Del Murder
01-12-2017, 07:32 PM
I would immediately put the vast majority of the money in a secure fund and use the rest for the following purposes:

1. Beef up security around my house and my family.
2. Take the family on an extended vacation (6 months to a year).

I've heard a lot of horror stories about lottery winners and I'm not taking any chances. Once things quiet down, sure I'll pay off family debts and spruce things up a bit.

krissy
01-12-2017, 07:39 PM
i buy eoff and give it to supermillionaire to do with as they please

FFNut
01-13-2017, 01:39 AM
I would pay off all family debt. Then invest in a friends business and make it known I want kickbacks as executive junior Vice President of it with a massive wage so the money launders back to me in a way I can spend it on myself.

chionos
01-15-2017, 11:59 PM
Give to my hometown community to better it (because it's a shithole in its current state. Give to people who have helped me throughout my life in various capacities. Fund research.

Sephex
01-16-2017, 09:09 AM
Does hiring an assassin to kill me count? I would like to be killed by an assassin. While I am listening to Creed. While on an airplane while they sing that can you take me higher song.

I guess I can't do that because I am spending money on me to make that happen.

I guess give it to my family or whatever. They need it.

Mr. Carnelian
01-16-2017, 09:45 AM
If I can't spend it on myself, give £100,000 to my Mum, £100,000 to my Dad, £100,000 each to each of my Nans, £100,000 to my brother, £100, 000 to my mother-in-law, and give the remaining £400,000 to charity.

Sephiroth
01-16-2017, 03:10 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPRNIFw5FDI

drotato
01-18-2017, 05:58 PM
i would probably just donate it all to wildlife reservation. it's too goddamn important for us as humans to stop killing off everything. jesus christ.

Loony BoB
01-20-2017, 01:38 PM
I need to know what kind of numbers we're talking.

Freya
01-20-2017, 03:28 PM
say... 500 Million!

Shauna
01-20-2017, 03:37 PM
Pounds or dollars? If it's the former we might be able to grab a bag of sweets or something.

Freya
01-20-2017, 03:47 PM
Your countries equivalent! So if you live in Eorzea, it'll be Gil :D

Loony BoB
01-20-2017, 06:09 PM
£500m? Bloody hell!

I'll just deal in percentages, I think. I don't think I can comprehend how to give away £500m.

20% towards my family
20% towards my friends
5% towards Danielle & her family
5% towards business interests

20% towards animal charities
20% towards human charities / people in need.
10% towards what I feel are good causes (eg. starving artists, community ventures, etc)

So effectively 50% spent on my own interests, 50% spent on more worldly interests. I think as the amount I get goes up, the portion I'd spend on the worldly interests would increase, because my family and friends aren't that in need.

I'm also assuming here that when you say you can't spend it on yourself, you also mean you can't invest it for your potential children or anything like that. I'm going with a Brewster's Million's scenario here.

Quindiana Jones
01-23-2017, 12:19 AM
I'd pull an Andy Dufresne. Create an entirely new person and put the money into their bank account. Then fake my own death or something, step into my fake identity's shoes, and live out the rest of my life, smug in the knowledge that your desperate attempts to make me less selfish were all for nothing, Freya. :radred:

Freya
01-23-2017, 01:11 AM
FOILED AGAIN!

Vasher
01-23-2017, 02:35 AM
I'm assuming it's the minimum of "$7 million" from the CA lottery, which would then be cut in half to "$3.5 million" for the cash payout, because 20+ years of payout makes no sense in a world of imperceptible inflation. I'd be left with close to that, as I'm quite familiar with tax law and available deductions. I'd pay off immediate family debt, which is minimal, leaving me with enough to use to assist. I'm assuming that an account in my name that earns interest, yet none of the funds, interest or otherwise, are used for my benefit, is fair game. If that's the case, then investments made with the same benefactors (anyone but myself) would be allowed as well. The capital gained from these investments would be used to build/recondition schools, hospitals, and housing in the small cities of my wife's origin (her mothers home is only 30 minutes from her fathers home, in separate countries sharing a common boarder), and help cover medical/education/housing costs for residents.

Vasher
01-23-2017, 02:43 AM
^That, or use said "appreciation" to fund my own "Not for Profit" org, "Tn'A CA". These proceeds would help aid the young women of California that so desperately seek breast/ass augmentation. It's for the greater good.

Bubba
01-23-2017, 09:35 AM
I would probably donate it to the NRA. It's very important that us humans keep killing everything because it gives us pleasure!

Chris Pratt sums it up nicely... Guns for all!

Vasher
01-24-2017, 01:17 PM
Bubba, my father hunted "everything", and fished as well. I had pellet guns and 22'sas a youth, would shoot small birds, squirrels, gofers, etc, longing to hunt game with my dad. Shot a bird from my back porch, younger siblings watching, and we all ran out to view my "kill". Instead of a glamorous kill, we found a bloody bird flopping on the ground, "crying" in pain. My younger siblings began to cry out for this poor bird. I loaded another pellet and pumped my gun, fired, and hit it again, to no avail. It bled more, chirped more, and "flopped" more violently. I repeated this a couple more times. More blood, more chirping, more flopping, more crying. I don't remember exactly how I "finished it", but it wasn't "pretty", and was the last time I shot a living thing. Neither of my two brothers have since, so I can only assume it was equally as traumatic for them (they would have been around 8 and 4 years old, sister about 10).

I do still love fishing and shooting the occasional inanimate.

Skyblade
01-24-2017, 01:48 PM
Helping my friends and family first. Set my parents up with a home that they own, instead of just a rent agreement. Same with my sister. Help pay off some medical debts for friends. Maybe set some of them up with a place of their own as well (always thought it'd be cool to have a large gaming mansion where my friends could live together). The rest would go to various charities.

Then I'd go back to work.

Vasher
01-24-2017, 02:12 PM
£500m? Bloody hell!

I'll just deal in percentages, I think. I don't think I can comprehend how to give away £500m.

20% towards my family
20% towards my friends

10% towards what I feel are good causes (eg. starving artists, community ventures, etc)

So effectively 50% spent on my own interests, 50% spent on more worldly interests. I think as the amount I get goes up, the portion I'd spend on the worldly interests would increase, because my family and friends aren't that in need.

I'm also assuming here that when you say you can't spend it on yourself, you also mean you can't invest it for your potential children or anything like that. I'm going with a Brewster's Million's scenario here.

Charities are bunk. Average reports of 50 cents on the dollar are exaggerated. I've seen paperwork that shows 1 cent on the dollar, at most. You're better off managing expenditures yourself. Hell, the money might be better spent, if not directly to your "would be" beneficiaries, on closing all these bs "non-profit" charity orgs. "F" them, and the fund raised chariot that they rode in on.

Bubba
01-24-2017, 02:21 PM
Bubba, my father hunted "everything", and fished as well. I had pellet guns and 22'sas a youth, would shoot small birds, squirrels, gofers, etc, longing to hunt game with my dad. Shot a bird from my back porch, younger siblings watching, and we all ran out to view my "kill". Instead of a glamorous kill, we found a bloody bird flopping on the ground, "crying" in pain. My younger siblings began to cry out for this poor bird. I loaded another pellet and pumped my gun, fired, and hit it again, to no avail. It bled more, chirped more, and "flopped" more violently. I repeated this a couple more times. More blood, more chirping, more flopping, more crying. I don't remember exactly how I "finished it", but it wasn't "pretty", and was the last time I shot a living thing. Neither of my two brothers have since, so I can only assume it was equally as traumatic for them (they would have been around 8 and 4 years old, sister about 10).

I do still love fishing and shooting the occasional inanimate.

Nah, I'm all for the blood and carnage!

My Dad used to take me and my brother down to the lake in Heaton Park near Manchester to hunt swans. He always took us at night for some reason and I found it difficult to see clearly. We took it in turns as we only had one rifle. It was a deluxe version of the Winchester Model 64 with a hand-checkered stock. Beautiful but it kicked like a mule! My brother was a natural at it but I was quite a bit younger so I struggled. It was still incredibly enjoyable watching a beautiful, defenceless animal being torn apart for our own amusement!

Shauna
01-24-2017, 02:39 PM
Did the Royal Guard not come get you? :p

Vasher
01-24-2017, 02:43 PM
My youngest brother recently took down a deer in Montana. Have to admit I'm jealous of his experience/adventure. Best hunting story is my fathers...

He went boar hunting with my uncle and his "firefighter" friends. Straws were draw to designate order. When it came my fathers turn, the sow was cornered by the hounds, he refused, that wasn't what he set out for. The next "straw" took his shot, my father was "ridiculed", called a "pussy". That night, the party around the campfire, the dogs took chase into the thorn bush. A massive boar took out several dogs and charged the camp. The "firemen" all took refuge, my father grabbed his 357 (or was it a 45?) and chased it into the thorn brush. Hands and knees, pitch black, in the thorn brush, 6 shots fired, 6 hits, with half of them "on the run". Dad had the largest "bull" by far (I'll get my parents to dig up the pics, worthwhile). The "vajay" firemen wanted to divvy up the cuts equally (all their hogs were half the size), pops told them to keep theirs, he keeps his. Still have the skull and the head ("stuffed") is over the mantel (3 wounds stitched in the neck). I'll gets pics when I can.

Bubba
01-24-2017, 03:15 PM
Nah, it's OK man. Thanks anyway!

I'm not really into hunting, I'm just being a sarcastic prick because I'm in a weird mood. You can safely ignore everything I say on EoFF for the next 24 hours or so.

Except in the travel thread. I'll gladly look you up if we ever get over to the west coast :D

Loony BoB
01-24-2017, 03:31 PM
£500m? Bloody hell!

20% towards my family
20% towards my friends

Charities are bunk. Average reports of 50 cents on the dollar are exaggerated. I've seen paperwork that shows 1 cent on the dollar, at most. You're better off managing expenditures yourself. Hell, the money might be better spent, if not directly to your "would be" beneficiaries, on closing all these bs "non-profit" charity orgs. "F" them, and the fund raised chariot that they rode in on.
True. I suppose I could hire someone I consider trustworthy to basically read letters all day, investigate requests and act upon them.