PDA

View Full Version : Let's Talk Nintendo Switch Games

Depression Moon
01-14-2017, 12:35 AM
So the Treehouse event ended earlier today and it showed off quite a few games: Arms,Splatoon 2, Super Bomberman R, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Ultra Street Fighter II, Has-Been Heroes, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Snipperclippers, and 1, 2, Switch.

What games caught your eye? I thought Arms looked lame at the presentation, but it looked better during the Treehouse event. Snipperclippers was surprisingly hilarious. Watching the two trying to put the basketball in the hoop was the best part and it looks to be a great co-op game. Breath of the Wild of course looks like a greatest of all time contender and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe's new improved Battle Mode brought back memories of the SNES for me. They brought Bomberman back from the dead. A lot assumed it would never see the day of light again due to the current Konami. 1, 2, Switch gave us this:
http://i.giphy.com/l0Expk5SRltU7pE88.gif

Here's the switch 1st year lineup.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C2E_Y0vXcAAWqNI.jpg:orig

Rayman Legends and Syberia 3 are missing from this image, but are both confirmed for the Nintendo Switch.

Formalhaut
01-14-2017, 12:39 AM
What the hell is going on in that GIF? Have I stumbled upon a Japanese gameshow?

Depression Moon
01-14-2017, 12:42 AM
Here's an archive of the treehouse show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qadzCB3CLlI&t=3s

Time stamps.

29:58 - Livestream Start
44:11 - ARMS
1:27:59 - Nintendo Switch Unboxed
1:43:41 - Reggie Reveals The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Collector's Sets
1:53:38 - Splatoon 2
2:14:06 - Super Bomberman R
2:39:18 - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
3:15:53 - Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers
3:40:16 - Fire Emblem Warriors
3:44:48 - SnipperClips
4:02:47 - Has-Been Heroes
4:23:16 - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
4:53:43 - Super Mario Odyssey
5:18:52 - 1-2 Switch

Scruffington
01-14-2017, 01:24 AM
Let's talk Switch games.

"What games?" - Reggie 2017

Sephex
01-14-2017, 02:16 AM
Trigger Warning: Talking about enjoying things on the internet.

A lot of that stuff looks fun! Looking forward to it.

FFNut
01-14-2017, 03:00 AM
I won't be a first day release but I will pick one up either next year or just before when the price drops to play DQ and Zelda. Will also grind some Mario Kart.

Depression Moon
01-14-2017, 03:59 AM

What did you like in particular?

Sephex
01-14-2017, 04:48 AM

What did you like in particular?

ARMS looked a lot better after seeing it more. Zelda and Mario also looked fantastic. I don't mind them taking their time in terms of Mario because both Sunshine and Windwaker, Mario and Zelda titles that are revered were obviously rushed. Granted they are still good titles, but both those games show signs of short cuts. Zelda with the lack of dungeons and Mario with not having nearly as many different levels as Mario 64, but the same about of 120 collectable thingys. Whoops, that was a side tangent.

Splatoon 2. I say that as a person who hasn't played a minute of the first one. The sequel looks a lot more fun and interesting to me.

Super Bomberman R looks like they learned a lot from that really weird and off putting Bomberman Zero game.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is cool, but that's gonna be a for sale game for me since I played the original on the Wii U so much.

The new Fire Emblem and Has-Been Heroes are up my alley since I am obviously into RPGs. That one Octopus game that was shown in the presentation last night also looks up my alley (but wasn't in the Treehouse video).

Scruffington
01-14-2017, 07:22 PM

You can criticize something while still being able to enjoy some aspects of it.

I don't really know what I would play on the Switch past Zelda. I've never played Splatoon and jumping into a sequel that has had merely 2 years of development time seems kind of iffy to me. Plus Super Mario Odyssey looks rough around the edges, and there is almost no chance that Xenoblade Chronicles 2 comes out in 2017. I haven't even played the first one.

I really don't know what else would interest me from them. Pikmin and Smash I guess.

Slothy
01-14-2017, 07:47 PM

How dare people share their thoughts in a discussion thread if their thoughts aren't entirely positive!

Here's a thought, take peoples subjective opinions for what they are: subjective opinions. What they're saying should only affect the way you feel about the Switch if you think they're making a good point.

FinalxxSin
01-14-2017, 09:26 PM
I really hope Nintendo knows what they are doing here. The Wii sold well partly because of a successful gimmick. I hope the company is more concerned with creating quality games that have more than a niche appeal outside of the common Mario, Zelda, and Smash Bros titles. I'd like to see the system do well because it in the long term ended up with a lot of great quality titles; not because of another gimmick that did better. Also, Nintendo needs to do a better job marketing this than what they did with the Wii U. I am confident a good number of people didn't even know that existed.

FFNut
01-14-2017, 09:32 PM
Though I knew the Wii U existed I had no feeling towards a purchase. It was just the exact same titles as the Wii and it didn't show any growth as a system. It was like FinalxxSin said. It was all a gimmick market and it showed no signs of branching out to try and grow the market. It was a no risk taken system really from the Wii. It felt like it was only put out for the sake of putting out something new.

Depression Moon
01-14-2017, 10:37 PM

How dare people share their thoughts in a discussion thread if their thoughts aren't entirely positive!

Here's a thought, take peoples subjective opinions for what they are: subjective opinions. What they're saying should only affect the way you feel about the Switch if you think they're making a good point.

Nah, I'm with Sephex.

Slothy
01-14-2017, 11:14 PM
Okay. So I guess everyone that isn't totally sold on these games or the console should just shut up about their concerns? That sounds like a mature way of handling the existence of different opinions.

Scruffington
01-15-2017, 12:02 AM
I really hope Nintendo knows what they are doing here. The Wii sold well partly because of a successful gimmick. I hope the company is more concerned with creating quality games that have more than a niche appeal outside of the common Mario, Zelda, and Smash Bros titles. I'd like to see the system do well because it in the long term ended up with a lot of great quality titles; not because of another gimmick that did better. Also, Nintendo needs to do a better job marketing this than what they did with the Wii U. I am confident a good number of people didn't even know that existed.

Nintendo has ALWAYS been concerned with creating quality games. They are consistently one of the best developers in the industry because their titles have an almost unmatched level of polish, detail, and engaging gameplay.

Nintendo the console developer has proven time and time again that they do not know what they are doing. A lot of it has to do with the fact that Nintendo of Japan makes all of the decisions. They stick to tradition as opposed to adapting to what the modern consumer actually wants.

Sephex
01-15-2017, 12:43 AM
Guys. Guys. It was a joke. Just like the burning the building comment.

EDIT: Should add more. Feel free to critique the Switch. For me personally I like what it is doing. You guys have issues with it. That's fine! I'll admit I was irritable in the other thread, but not actually upset. I was just trying to lighten the mood, but it looks like I was taken a bit seriously, so sorry about that.

FinalxxSin
01-15-2017, 12:53 AM
Okay. So I guess everyone that isn't totally sold on these games or the console should just shut up about their concerns? That sounds like a mature way of handling the existence of different opinions.
Sorry Vivi22, but I have no idea how you came to that conclusion.

Nintendo has ALWAYS been concerned with creating quality games. They are consistently one of the best developers in the industry because their titles have an almost unmatched level of polish, detail, and engaging gameplay.

Nintendo the console developer has proven time and time again that they do not know what they are doing. A lot of it has to do with the fact that Nintendo of Japan makes all of the decisions. They stick to tradition as opposed to adapting to what the modern consumer actually wants.
Your post does have a good amount of merit to it. I will admit that Nintendo does have the strongest line up of first party titles. However, there are several of their IPs that rarely see the light of day and collect dust for no telling how long. I am sure for as long as Nintendo has been around, they know what they are doing for the most part. It is as you had briefly mentioned, tradition holds them back in some aspects. Where they do fall short in is worldwide appeal, which in reality they may not even be concerned with that given how successful their handheld products do in Japan and in other parts of the world to different degrees. With The Switch having some form of mobile gaming, I can only assume that was partly put in place to appeal to Japan's gaming culture with handhelds.

FFNut
01-15-2017, 12:58 AM
Nintendo is over 100 years old in reality. They started as a trading card company for gambling which is why when Pokemon got a card game I saw that as a bit of a cash cow Easter Egg type thing. FS makes another good point with the hand held culture of Japan that falls a little short in the western world.

NeoCracker
01-15-2017, 06:11 AM
Honestly I think the best thing about the Switch is Nintendo has finally removed the Region Locking.

Now if we can get companies to release games with English subs, a lot of games that don't come out in the west (Or get censored/altered in various ways), you can simply import the original.

That being said, the best looking games of the first year?

Breath of the Wild, Bomberman, Mario, and Xenoblade.

Though in, presumably, 2018 I'm hoping for some sweet SMT action, as well as the Story of Seasons title.

Depression Moon
01-16-2017, 03:31 AM
It was pretty neat to see that horses will have stats in Breath of the Wild, they're really honing in on the RPG aspects. I can already see myself becoming a horse collector and being real careful with my steeds since they can be killed in battle. I can already tell that getting Epona will be epic. Since she has legendary status I think she'll be immortal, otherwise it would really suck if you went through some special event to get her and she dies.

I truly cannot wait to see more from the game it looks like it's going to be huge. There's some footage of Fast Racing RMX too. The gae looks okay. I can't get too excited however. I haven't played racing games since the PS2 era, but I do remember that they couldn't keep my attention for over a week. It's something I'm eager to try out however.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe's battle mode looks spectacular. It brought up all the memories I had playing with my older brother on SNES. That chaotic feel was perfectly integrated now that battles have proper tracks dedicated to them. The Bob-omb Blast battles didn't look as fun as the standard Balloon Battles which will be my go to, but I can see myself playing it sometimes. The design of the courses are really well made. Urchin Underpass has the ink splats which reduce speed when driven in so you have to watch out for that, the Luigi's mansion arena has some really good music and the gap on the top floor allows for some quick navigation to either escape from a pursuing enemy or to quickly get to one of your friends to hit them with a red shell. I really hope I can get a well paying job by the time this comes out.

Slothy
01-16-2017, 10:28 PM
Guys. Guys. It was a joke. Just like the burning the building comment.

EDIT: Should add more. Feel free to critique the Switch. For me personally I like what it is doing. You guys have issues with it. That's fine! I'll admit I was irritable in the other thread, but not actually upset. I was just trying to lighten the mood, but it looks like I was taken a bit seriously, so sorry about that.

Ah, you did seem a bit irritable in the other thread which is why I thought you were being serious. Honest misunderstanding, no harm done.

sharkythesharkdogg
01-17-2017, 01:04 PM
I'm interested to see what the system will have to offer in another year. I like the idea of a combined portable/home console.

My two biggest possible concerns are the expected battery life (which isn't too surprising), and the very tiny and cramped looking controllers.

http://1u88jj3r4db2x4txp44yqfj1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/switch-controller-800x439.jpg

If you're using both at once, fine. If you're doing some couch co-op with a friend then I think the controllers are going to be annoying.

That means you're probably going to want to buy pro controller, which is extra cost right out of the gate.

Del Murder
01-17-2017, 08:21 PM
How funny that they go from the gigantic WiiU controller to these. Good luck having big hands and playing this (at least President Trump won't have a problem with it).

Mirage
01-17-2017, 10:06 PM
It was pretty neat to see that horses will have stats in Breath of the Wild, they're really honing in on the RPG aspects. I can already see myself becoming a horse collector and being real careful with my steeds since they can be killed in battle. I can already tell that getting Epona will be epic. Since she has legendary status I think she'll be immortal, otherwise it would really suck if you went through some special event to get her and she dies.

I truly cannot wait to see more from the game it looks like it's going to be huge. There's some footage of Fast Racing RMX too. The gae looks okay. I can't get too excited however. I haven't played racing games since the PS2 era, but I do remember that they couldn't keep my attention for over a week. It's something I'm eager to try out however.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe's battle mode looks spectacular. It brought up all the memories I had playing with my older brother on SNES. That chaotic feel was perfectly integrated now that battles have proper tracks dedicated to them. The Bob-omb Blast battles didn't look as fun as the standard Balloon Battles which will be my go to, but I can see myself playing it sometimes. The design of the courses are really well made. Urchin Underpass has the ink splats which reduce speed when driven in so you have to watch out for that, the Luigi's mansion arena has some really good music and the gap on the top floor allows for some quick navigation to either escape from a pursuing enemy or to quickly get to one of your friends to hit them with a red shell. I really hope I can get a well paying job by the time this comes out.

Bob-omb blast was in Double Dash and let me tell you, it's amazing.

Squall Leonhart Loire
01-17-2017, 10:41 PM
Lack of good JRPGs, mostly ports, and yeah... a very uninteresting system.

Del Murder
01-17-2017, 11:05 PM
As for the games, Zelda and Mario Odyssey look like Nintendo's standard awesome first party games in those series. I have no doubt I'll love them. Xenoblade, the SE RPG, and Fire Emblem (if it's a real FE game and not a Dynasty Warriors hybrid which is what it sounds like) are also intriguing but I need to wait and see and I probably won't feel too bad if I don't play them. So that's not enough for me to get this.

I'll say this again, if Nintendo does not capitalize on its current most successful system (the 3DS) in the transition to Switch it is doomed to fail with a lineup and support like this. It needs to be more than just a portable console if it wants to compete as its own thing, because it certainly doesn't appear to be competitive with the other consoles in terms of game support, price, and specs. I would love to see an announcement of the next Pokemon game (maybe too soon after Sun/Moon for that) or some other series that found a niche on the DS/3DS like Professor Layton, Ace Attorney, Bravely Default, etc. in addition to continuation of Nintendo's console franchises and ports of other console games. Seeing Tetris up there is a nice start. A new 2D Metroid would be perfect for something like this as Metroid has had great success on both handheld and consoles.

sharkythesharkdogg
01-18-2017, 05:13 PM
I haven't had a chance to see anything about it specifically, but hearing about a new Bomberman was unexpected and exciting.

Formalhaut
01-18-2017, 05:46 PM
or some other series that found a niche on the DS/3DS like Professor Layton, Ace Attorney, Bravely Default, etc. in addition to continuation of Nintendo's console franchises and ports of other console games. Seeing Tetris up there is a nice start. A new 2D Metroid would be perfect for something like this as Metroid has had great success on both handheld and consoles.

Professor Layton could find a niche on the larger screen, especially as there's all those quirky features like the gyroscope and rumble that could breathe new life into those Layton puzzles. Phoenix Wright could work as a portable/console hybrid, if people like a more cinematic experience when they play those games. One of the main complaints I sometimes hear with handheld games is "oh, but imagine if I this could be played on the big screen!"

Nintendo needs to find those games, because they'll struggle in a straight-up fight.

Skyblade
01-23-2017, 05:23 PM
How about Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment? The Shovel Knight Treasure Trove, which includes the new campaign (which is apparently a far more radical rebuild than the Plague Knight campaign) will be on the Switch first, and feature amiibo support.

CTczZrrAwNY