PDA

View Full Version : Xenoblade Chronicles - Version Help!

Formalhaut
01-15-2017, 12:01 AM
So Xenoblade Chronicles is a game that's been recommended to me and seems like it ticks all the boxes: interesting world, exploration, game mechanics. After I finally commit myself to finishing Tales of Xillia, this'll probably be my next JRPG I'm thinking of picking up.

My sole problem is: the original version on Wii, or the 3DS remake? Is there any difference between the two? Will I find the smaller screen of the 3DS irritating?

Any opinions and thoughts on this would be appreciated!

EDIT: So it turns out the 3DS version is actually a 'New Nintendo 3DS' exclusive. I only have the original 3DS. Thanks Nintendo.

And the original version on the Wii has like, crazy price figures. What's up with that?

Mirage
01-15-2017, 12:52 AM
I would say Xenoblade is most definitely a "big screen" type of game. However, it is also a Wii game so it's gonna be a bit pixelated on a big screen too. On the N3DS, it's gonna look pretty sharp, but you'll probably lack some of that "immersion", if that's important to you.

Optimally, I would play it on a PC beefy enough to emulate the game in high resolution and with a high res texture pack patched in, then displayed on a big screen.

Fynn
01-15-2017, 06:26 AM
Well, you know, that should be a more sincere "thanks Nintendo" since the game would not be possible at all with a regular 3DS, so it's only because the New 3DS exists that it's possible to have this game portable.

Also, have you checked the eshop? I'd wager a digital version is cheaper than a box version now.

Fox
01-15-2017, 11:41 AM
I'd recommend buying the 3DS version to ease your conscience, then using the Dolphin Emulator to play it in HD and a nice smooth framerate on your PC. That's how I ended up playing it because I bought a Wii specifically for this game, got the game at a more-expensive-than-it-should be price, then it turned out my Wii had a fault and couldn't play dual layer DVDs.

Formalhaut
01-15-2017, 01:00 PM
Well, you know, that should be a more sincere "thanks Nintendo" since the game would not be possible at all with a regular 3DS, so it's only because the New 3DS exists that it's possible to have this game portable.

Also, have you checked the eshop? I'd wager a digital version is cheaper than a box version now.There's a digital version... on the Wii U. So basically, to play it I'll either have to upgrade my 3DS (ugh) or purchase a Wii U (not as ugh, but still costly).

Fynn
01-15-2017, 01:15 PM
Or you can keep looking for a reasonably priced physical copy. Have you considered buying used?

Fynn
01-15-2017, 01:39 PM
My personal recommendation would be that you make an American PSN account and buy Xenogears first :3: It's definitely the least costly option!

Formalhaut
01-15-2017, 02:16 PM
I have a feeling they didn't make many copies. Used copies on Amazon run up to £70, average. On eBay, it settles around £30-50 for a used copy of the game, which is better but also still freakishly high.

I'll have to consider my options, to be honest. :roll2

Mirage
01-15-2017, 03:31 PM
Buying xenogears first is not required at all. There's no reason to play it first. They're not related and it's inferior compared to Xenoblade.

Fynn
01-15-2017, 03:43 PM
It's not inferior, it's different. And if buying Xenoblade is too expensive at this point, I'm just offering an alternative. Not saying it's necessary to enjoy. It's just a classic JRPG from the same director.

Mirage
01-15-2017, 07:42 PM
It can be both different and inferior :p

Fox
01-15-2017, 07:53 PM
I didn't realise the Wii U had a digital edition...! I might have to check it out, the only the game I've used my WiiU for was XCX which was such a big disappointment I haven't come close to completion.

Mirage
01-15-2017, 08:08 PM
i bought it on ebay for 80 bucks to play it on my wiiu, then a month later nintendo finally released it digitally for wiiu. I was pretty upset.

I ended up buying it digitally anyway because disc loading times are meh.

Fynn
01-15-2017, 08:37 PM
Both of you are super weird

Mirage
01-16-2017, 01:47 AM
also fox if you have a wiiu why don't you also use it for mk8? i mean it's only the best mario kart ever.

Until they release mario kart switch, which will be even better because it's gonna be mostly the same except with proper battle arenas

Skyblade
01-16-2017, 03:51 AM
also fox if you have a wiiu why don't you also use it for mk8? i mean it's only the best mario kart ever.

Until they release mario kart switch, which will be even better because it's gonna be mostly the same except with proper battle arenas

It also has a couple new characters, new items (there's a Boo item that lets you temporarily pass through attacks or hazards like bananas, possible Blue Shell counter), and the ability to carry two items at once.

Pumpkin
01-16-2017, 04:10 AM
It is expensive, yes. I would recommend a big screen version to fully appreciate the size and environments of the game

Mirage
01-16-2017, 04:52 AM

It also has a couple new characters, new items (there's a Boo item that lets you temporarily pass through attacks or hazards like bananas, possible Blue Shell counter), and the ability to carry two items at once.

yes of course but the important improvement is that there are battle arenas.

Vyk
03-14-2017, 05:04 PM
I actually just saw this at GameStop for $59USD the other day. In America it was exclusive to them so they were "smart" and only released limited quantities in 2 separate runs, and managed to keep the price high when they have it in stock. Lame