PDA

View Full Version : Mafia Host Sign-Up Thread

Scruffington
01-15-2017, 08:56 PM
Hey everyone,

This is the sign-up thread to host the new main series of Mafia. The previous main series ended with Mafia XXV, nearly four years ago. With the recent games such as Karifean's Dissidia Mafia and Psychotic's FFIX Mafia, there is a revived interest in both playing and hosting these games. This thread is designed to organize and facilitate them.

I have provided some general guidelines for hosting a Mafia game. Some of these are highly recommended, in fact almost mandatory to implement in some cases (as these situations will inevitably arise).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HOSTING GUIDELINES

No Outside Communication, unless your faction (Mafia, Cultist, Mason) allows you to.

This is effectively cheating. These roles are specifically designed to allow a player to communicate outside of the game. Unless your role states that you can do so, you are not permitted to discuss the game or roles outside of the main thread.

Posting requirements of at least two (constructive) posts.

This is something I would seriously encourage hosts to implement. It effectively works as an 'afk check.' It sets a requirement that all players are supposed to at least make some effort to contribute to the game discussion.

Inactivity consequences.

In the event that a player does not meet the posting or voting requirements for the day, there are several actions that a host can take. These include:
- A warning (PM'd to the player)
- Modblocked (If their role has a special ability, it will be revoked)
- Modkilled (The host of the game killing the player)
If a player informs the host ahead of time that he/she will not be able to participate in the thread for a period of time, then I feel that some leniency should be given to them. This is up to the host's discretion.

Day Phase and Night Phase time limits.

As with every Mafia game, each phase lasts a specific amount of time. In general, Day Phases last 48 hours while Night Phases last 24 hours. The duration of each phase should be specified in the game thread.

Use of Mafia accounts.

There are actually several accounts created here at EoFF designed specifically to play Mafia. The host has the option to either have everyone play with their normal accounts or use the Mafia-specific accounts. These accounts can be modified to fit the specific theme of each game (meaning their names and pictures can be changed). If a host wishes to use the Mafia accounts, they should PM Psychotic.

Organization of the game.

All rules, especially pertaining to voting and posting requirements, should be clearly stated in the game thread. Additionally, the host should also attempt to organize the events of the game in the first post of the thread. This is the way I have organized the game in the past:

- Post 1 contains the rules of the game, as well as game-specific rules.
- Post 2 contains all of the roles within the game.
- Post 3 contains all of the players as well as the activities performed within the game. The list will be updated as players are eliminated.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HOSTING RULES

No more than one mainline Mafia game can be run at a time.
Mainline Mafia Games should be titled in chronological order (Mafia I, Mafia II, etc.)
Each game may have a different theme.
Hosts can continue to host smaller or spin-off games.

Sign-Up List

1. Laddy - Dad Mafia
2. Slothy & FFNut - Starcraft Mafia
3. Karifean
4. Pumpkin - Atelier Mafia

Psychotic
01-15-2017, 08:58 PM
I'd also add if a host wants to use the mafia accounts - some hosts will, some won't - then please send me a list of account names and 100 x 100 avatars.

Scruffington
01-15-2017, 09:12 PM
I'd also add if a host wants to use the mafia accounts - some hosts will, some won't - then please send me a list of account names and 100 x 100 avatars.

Thanks for the sticky. I'll add that to the list. How many mafia accounts are there available to use?

Also feedback is appreciated as there's a chance I've missed something. I personally would vote to have the new main series of games start from I since we have a new forum for this now.

And I'd like to hear what everyone's thoughts are on the main Mafia games being once a month. I put that there because I felt that it would help to keep people from getting burnt out on the games. It could even go up to once every two months if everyone thinks it should.

qwertysaur
01-15-2017, 09:52 PM
I would love to host a game again. I've hosted quite a few and all of them were a lot of fun. On my phone now so typing is annoying, but I have a lot of resources I can share that are great to help hosts. Also if there is someone who is unsure about hosting a game I'll cohost with you and help you set it up.

Formalhaut
01-15-2017, 11:21 PM
Ooh, I've never hosted a game before, but I'd like to have a shot at it at some point. :D

qwertysaur
01-16-2017, 12:28 AM
Want to host with me Formy?

Formalhaut
01-16-2017, 07:27 AM
I think being co-host to your game might help me understand the behind-the-scenes mechanics a bit better, so I think I'd co-host first, yeah. Thanks Qwerty!

Scruffington
01-16-2017, 10:19 AM
Alright, I have you two pinned down.

I decided to remove the "one main mafia game per month" rule. It would suck if someone had to wait 9 months to host a game. I think it should just be whenever there's enough players to get a game going and the host is available, they can host it.

I've also added myself to the list; though I'm willing to drop down a few more spots. I'm putting myself at #3 right now since I want someone else to go ahead of me.

qwertysaur
01-16-2017, 07:37 PM
Alright, now I'm at an actual computer for once instead of my phone, so here are a few resources that I've used in the past.

http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Category:Roles_Main_Page
http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Category:Types
This is good start when looking at what roles are common. It is easy to get lost and wind up at the page for a really weird role like "The flying pumpkin that shoots lasers out of its ass." I would advise that you either be conservative and avoid roles that are insane like that or go all in and make a crazy game. It's up to you.

http://mikeburnfire.deviantart.com/art/Mafia-Roles-72597749
A great intro flash that I hope still works because I'm on hotel wifi so it naturally is not going to cooperate today. :p This flash should be your starting point.

https://www.random.org/
When I need to match roles and players to accounts, I make a list for each. Scramble them up in this site and throw them in a spreadsheet, and your good to go.

https://proboards.com/
Site to host your faction sites for mafia/masons etc. Just a tip, don't call the forum "EoFF Mafia game forum 2017" or something like that, because google is a thing.

Also some general hosting tips.
+Make your passwords things around your room and a color, or other things like that. Don't want people getting into the accounts that should not be there. a couple good examples are

greenphone
bedblack
pictureyellow
lampblue
minibarcyan
+Be prepared to cut roles to run the game. Say you make a game fpr 20 and only 17 people sign up. you will have to trim the game, so have roles you may not need.
+Have fun with it. After all, once the game starts, everyone is putting on a show for you. :bigsmile:

Karifean
01-18-2017, 07:15 PM
I wasn't sure if my particular brand of games was suitable to be part of the mainline Mafia series, but it seems there are no specific style requirements, so sure, I'll sign up.

Fynn
02-24-2017, 07:45 PM
QUwue me up. Dibs on a Danganronpa theme so NO STEALING! :stare:

Slothy
02-24-2017, 07:46 PM
Maybe I'm crazy, but a Battlestar Galactica theme sounds like a great idea.

Formalhaut
02-24-2017, 07:48 PM
Maybe I'm crazy, but a Battlestar Galactica theme sounds like a great idea.

Mr. Carny played a boardgame that featured Battlestar Galactica, where you played as either the heroes or the (hidden!) cylons.

Freya
02-24-2017, 07:54 PM
OMG DO A BSG ONE I WILL LOVE YOU FOREVER. Also don't let Paul be Gaius if he plays. That'll have to be a rule.

Slothy
02-24-2017, 07:55 PM
Well I'm sure as hell not going to host one so someone else would have to do it.

FFNut
02-24-2017, 07:59 PM
What are we planning next? I want to join what ever it is!

Formalhaut
02-24-2017, 07:59 PM
If someone wants me to host a BSG game, I'm down for that.

Scruffington
02-24-2017, 08:47 PM
QUwue me up. Dibs on a Danganronpa theme so NO STEALING! :stare:

That was actually one of the ones I was thinking of doing. I'll let you handle it if you really want it though!

Formalhaut
02-24-2017, 08:49 PM
Hey Scruff, maybe you could host a Tales of Berseria themed game at some point!

Pumpkin
02-24-2017, 08:49 PM
I WOULD LOVE A TALES THEMED MAFIA PLS DO I WANT TO DO THAT ONE OMGOMGOMGOGMGKSDHGJSDFHGJKSDG

Formalhaut
02-24-2017, 08:50 PM
You, uh, might have to fight for it. :lol:

Pumpkin
02-24-2017, 08:51 PM
I don't want to host it I want to play in it

AND I WANT TO BE KOHAKUUU

Besides, if I hosted it it would just be my fav ladies and no one wants that

Scruffington
02-24-2017, 08:53 PM
I WOULD LOVE A TALES THEMED MAFIA PLS DO I WANT TO DO THAT ONE OMGOMGOMGOGMGKSDHGJSDFHGJKSDG

You want to host one?

@Formalhaut: Berseria could work but I don't think enough people have played it. Plus I think a Tales Mafia would be better done as an entire series instead of just one game. :P

I still don't know what I want my theme to be yet. I've run a Super Mario Bros. game before which had some really unique roles and tons of cool mechanics, but I think it was a little broken and relied on having at least 15+ people.

Formalhaut
02-24-2017, 08:57 PM
Yeah, I think Tales of Main Characters would be the ideal solution!

I think the safe number of entrants is 9. I managed 11 for the last game, and that was a push to get that many. Not saying that you couldn't get 15, but you'd want a back-up set-up if you get just under the amount.

Pumpkin
02-24-2017, 08:59 PM
Someone please host a Tales of one and include Kohaku and I will be super happy :(

Formalhaut
02-24-2017, 09:00 PM
I've already taken one request of Battlestar Galactica so I suppose I could host a Tales of Main Characters + Kohaku game at some point!

Fynn
02-24-2017, 09:01 PM
It's actually okay if people don't know the source material - it's even better if you go Karifean style, since no one can deduce anything :p

Fynn
02-24-2017, 09:08 PM
And sorry for taking that idea Scruff - I've literally been planning this theme for months, though :p Im so ready!

I want it to be weird and wonderful!

Scruffington
02-24-2017, 09:12 PM
And sorry for taking that idea Scruff - I've literally been planning this theme for months, though :p Im so ready!

No worries. Danganronpa is a good series, so I appreciate the fact that you have good taste.

Now if only you liked Ace Attorney...

Formalhaut
02-24-2017, 09:12 PM

No worries. Danganronpa is a good series, so I appreciate the fact that you have good taste.

Now if only you liked Ace Attorney...

Ugh. I know right. :roll2

Fynn
02-24-2017, 09:14 PM
We should also do a KH one in the future

Instead of Mafia, you have to figure out who the Xehanorts are XD

Freya
02-24-2017, 09:19 PM
What is daggermaw? You guys pick things I don't know. Is it another anime-ish thing? It is, isn't it

Fynn
02-24-2017, 09:21 PM
Oh you'll see :bigsmile:

Scruffington
02-24-2017, 09:24 PM
What is daggermaw? You guys pick things I don't know. Is it another anime-ish thing? It is, isn't it

Yeah, it's pretty anime.

Speaking of which...I don't think I've seen any threads on here about anime. That makes me sad.

Fynn
02-24-2017, 09:26 PM
We had some, actually. I think there's still a regular favorite anime thread active in the lounge, and then there was Squall's thread about FF fans apparently disliking anime?

Freya
02-24-2017, 09:28 PM
Usually I can keep you anime nerds down in the RPG section with your JRPGs. But sometimes when they surface in my lovely Lounge they go into a frenzy and i have to beat them back to where they belong with a stick.

Anime threads come every so often and they tend to get a lot of replies when they happen. Most lounge threads are about ongoing shows or released movies. A lot of people don't keep up with anime like they do Western shows so usually it takes some time before everyone has seen something.

Formalhaut
02-24-2017, 09:29 PM
There was a Studio Ghibli thread as well. Me and Mr. Carny saw our first two Ghibli films last week!

Fynn
02-24-2017, 09:30 PM
Anyway, Danganronpa is pretty anime, but it's also pretty much Mafia: The Game (visual novel, really), so you should try it

Formalhaut
02-24-2017, 09:31 PM
I have actually yet to play Danganronpa! I really need to. Shame one of the games is inexplicably unavailable on the PS TV.

Fynn
02-24-2017, 09:39 PM
Don't bother playing the sequel without playing the original

Fortunately, the original is now also available on steam, so you can play it there

Formalhaut
02-24-2017, 09:40 PM
Oooooooo I might get that at some point then.

Karifean
02-24-2017, 11:07 PM
Ah gdi I was actually thinking of putting up a poll for a theme because I had several ideas (When They Cry, Danganronpa or Touhou) at once and I want to do them all at some point, heh, but I guess because I'm me I'll just go with the When They Cry theme :P

I'll still need some time to set things up, but I'll put up the signup/discussion thread in the meantime.

Edit: Formy, you already reacted surprised when Fynn told you of DR being on Steam in the comment section of my blog post. Which was about Danganronpa being on Steam. :stare: Clearly, you just need to buy it and play it right now so this doesn't happen again.

Pumpkin
02-25-2017, 12:08 AM
Also if we do do a Tales themed one, please don't do it the week of March 18th-26th

Thank you

Pumpkin
03-05-2017, 12:02 AM
You know what, there's going to be quite a few games between now and when the next open hosting slot is available, so I'll sign up as Tales host and hope I can do decently by then if I keep playing :ohdear:

Formalhaut
03-05-2017, 12:04 AM
If you ever need a hand with the Tales game Pumpkin, I can assist by making you Tales avatars or giving you advice in general!

Pumpkin
03-05-2017, 12:07 AM
Thank you! I don't mean to hog it from you if you want to do it, but the Tales games are my waifus and I actually thought of a decent balance of characters. I'll definitely rely on you for help if you don't mind!

And you have to play :stare:

Formalhaut
03-05-2017, 12:19 AM
It was your idea! :eek: Honestly, I don't mind. I'd think you would make a great host!

Laddy
03-07-2017, 06:18 PM
I would love to host a season - Dad Mafia. What Dad is the deadliest of them all?

i'm serious

Fynn
03-07-2017, 06:27 PM
But, Dad as in, Dad-joke dad, or more like... daddy?

FFNut
03-07-2017, 06:32 PM
I would love to help Co-Host one with someone. Make an EoFF meet up Mafia.

Fynn
03-07-2017, 06:55 PM
Dude. That's an idea. A Mafia where all the mafia accounts are based on EoFF members and you always play as someone other than yourself.

Formalhaut
03-07-2017, 06:57 PM

We all know what kind of Daddy you're thinking of, Fynn.

Mr. Carnelian
03-07-2017, 07:09 PM

Can't believe I got beaten to that innuendo :grumble:

Fynn
03-07-2017, 07:18 PM

Can't believe I got beaten to that innuendo :grumble:

Not the first thing I did first, and better :smug:

Scruffington
03-07-2017, 11:34 PM
I would love to host a season - Dad Mafia. What Dad is the deadliest of them all?

i'm serious

Added.

I would love to help Co-Host one with someone. Make an EoFF meet up Mafia.

So should I put you down as looking for a co-host then?

FFNut
03-07-2017, 11:45 PM
You can you bet. Don't want to solo one, but I will help with one.

Scruffington
03-16-2017, 11:38 PM
Just a heads up about my game: I'm planning on giving everyone a few more days to a week after the last game before I post the sign-up thread for mine.

Don't want everyone to get too burnt out on it. :P

Pumpkin
03-17-2017, 12:47 AM
I'll be gone from the 18th to the 26th. I'll be able to check in but won't be able to hang around as often. I'll do my best though if it goes before I get back!

Squall Leonhart Loire
03-17-2017, 01:31 AM
Sign me up!

Citizen Bleys
03-22-2017, 08:33 PM
In to host an unthemed 13p bastard game. I've had the setup ready and reviewed for almost 2 years but have never run it.

Formalhaut
03-22-2017, 08:50 PM
In to host an unthemed 13p bastard game. I've had the setup ready and reviewed for almost 2 years but have never run it.

Exciting!

Formalhaut
04-20-2017, 10:14 PM
Oh, even though this has been a thing for awhile, I'm ceding my position to Pumpkin. This means Pumpkin is next in line, and I can go after Pumpkin.

TALES HYPE. :jess:

Pumpkin
04-20-2017, 10:15 PM
TALES HYPE :omgomg:

Citizen Bleys
04-24-2017, 05:47 PM
Actually, I want to withdraw from the hosting list -- thanks.

Slothy
04-28-2017, 12:51 AM
Fuck it, sign me up for hosting a mafia. A Starcraft mafia!

Karifean
05-08-2017, 09:00 PM
Sign me up again. Theme subject to change, possibly based on popular vote among a few candidates when my turn arrives.

Pumpkin
05-08-2017, 09:01 PM
Me too for an Atelier one but others who will be waiting longer to host should go first

Scruffington
05-21-2017, 04:21 AM
Updated the original post.

Looks like Formalhaut is up next!

Formalhaut
05-21-2017, 12:34 PM
I am! I'll be giving everyone a short break of roughly a week before I start sign-ups. In the meantime I'll be making some game materials.

Slothy
05-21-2017, 12:47 PM
I should mention ffnut will be co-hosting with me. Happy to have him on board.

FFNut
05-21-2017, 12:49 PM
I should mention ffnut will be co-hosting with me. Happy to have him on board.

Some ideas we have come up with so far... It will be a fun game!

Mr. Carnelian
05-21-2017, 12:51 PM
Looking forward to the BSG mafia! :D

Karifean
06-23-2017, 04:26 PM
So Laddy, just to get an idea, do you plan on hosting your game soon-ish?

Scruffington
06-24-2017, 07:43 PM
Yeah, I haven't heard anything from Laddy in awhile. Are you still interested in hosting?

Also @FFNut: Are you co-hosting a mafia game with Slothy, or are you still looking for a cohost for your own separate game?

FFNut
06-24-2017, 09:20 PM
Slothy and I are do-hosting and have started planning. Was thinking one would have been between us but we could get something together if needed.

Scruffington
06-25-2017, 02:09 AM
Slothy and I are do-hosting and have started planning. Was thinking one would have been between us but we could get something together if needed.

Noted! I guess we could give Laddy a day or two before we move ahead with the next game?

FFNut
06-25-2017, 04:12 AM
That's what I was planning on. He isn't always around especially on weekends so give him until next week to see he is up next.

Laddy
06-25-2017, 05:02 PM
Hey! Yeah I'm, still definitely planning on hosting but it won't be until after the 9th so if someone wants to go first then I'd be more than happy to rescind my status as next!!

Scruffington
06-25-2017, 11:39 PM
Hey! Yeah I'm, still definitely planning on hosting but it won't be until after the 9th so if someone wants to go first then I'd be more than happy to rescind my status as next!!

Okay cool!

If Nutty and Slothy want to host this week, we could probably fit that game in before the 9th.

Slothy
06-25-2017, 11:49 PM
Hmm, I wasn't overly prepared for it to be quite that soon. Little busy this coming week. I'll see what Nut and I can get prepped in the next few days. Maybe we'll be able to put it all together in time to run before the 9th. I'll do my best to make some time to get all of the prep work done.

Pumpkin
06-26-2017, 01:15 AM
We could always just wait. Get a breather and give everyone some time

Slothy
06-26-2017, 01:18 AM
Also an option. Unless people object why don't we wait until Laddy is done his game?

Laddy
07-02-2017, 10:49 AM
It'll be a solid game; I assure you!!

Laddy
07-13-2017, 09:15 AM
Going up today/tomorrow. :3

Laddy
07-28-2017, 08:48 PM
Looks like interest in my game isn't particularly strong; do you guys just want me to let the next ones go? Otherwise we're looking at a game that last maybe two-three game days potentially.

Karifean
07-30-2017, 02:04 AM
I mean, we've had games of that scale before and they were still pretty intense. I'd be up for it.

Fynn
09-14-2017, 09:35 AM
so guys

is it time

Freya
02-08-2018, 08:12 PM
So about that mafia-ing. Anyone want to host a game?

Laddy
02-10-2018, 12:59 PM
i wanna play some mafier