PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo Switch | OT | March 3, 2017

Scruffington
01-30-2017, 04:16 PM
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/8a/NintendoSwitchLogo.svg/429px-NintendoSwitchLogo.svg.png

Release Date
----------------

WW: March 3, 2017

Price
----------------

USD: $299
JP: ¥29,980
EURO: £279.99
AUD: $469.95
CAD: $399.99

This thread is for everything Nintendo Switch related. There is another thread dealing with the Switch, but I figured it would be better to have a thread with a more informative title and concise information in the original post. All news and information regarding Nintendo's newest system goes here.

Recently, the Nintendo Switch's full specs were revealed (http://www.techradar.com/news/we-finally-have-a-specs-sheet-for-the-nintendo-switch).

What are you looking forward to most with the Nintendo Switch?

Skyblade
01-31-2017, 10:16 AM
What am I not looking forward to with the Switch? Personally, I've always enjoyed handhelds more than consoles. Not really sure why, but maybe because I tend to like to lay around and change positions while gaming and relaxing? Or maybe because it makes it a more personal and immersive experience for me? Not sure, but I like handhelds better. So I'm excited to see what the system can do. Breath of the Wild is certainly a stunning setpiece to start with.

Plus, the system is an absolute marvel of engineering, which is something I always tend to respect.

Scruffington
02-01-2017, 03:34 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUDkrkykvZs

Newest trailer for the Nintendo Switch is out. I personally think this trailer is really well done, and I honestly hope the Switch is a success.

Del Murder
02-01-2017, 05:36 PM
That's a nice commercial and all but if you play a Zelda game while cooking you are either going to get Link killed or burn your house down.

So far the thing that bothers me most about the Switch is that the pro controller is not included and costs an absurd amount of money for a controller. They don't show someone playing it on a TV using the little stick controllers for a reason.

Aside from that, I like the idea of the Switch as a console/handheld hybrid in concept. I hope it lives up to that.

Skyblade
02-01-2017, 05:54 PM
That's a nice commercial and all but if you play a Zelda game while cooking you are either going to get Link killed or burn your house down.

So far the thing that bothers me most about the Switch is that the pro controller is not included and costs an absurd amount of money for a controller. They don't show someone playing it on a TV using the little stick controllers for a reason.

Aside from that, I like the idea of the Switch as a console/handheld hybrid in concept. I hope it lives up to that.

They actually do in the extended cut, though not for very long, and it is a kid doing so:
CdWd8fUC71g

EDIT:
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/02/nintendo_outlines_pricing_range_for_switch_online_service

Pricing revealed for online service. 18-25 dollars a YEAR.

Del Murder
02-01-2017, 08:25 PM
Does the middle thingy the controller sticks fit into to make it a single controller come with the Switch or is that separate?

Some of the motion control stuff shown in the extended commercial gives off a Wii vibe, which may be good since that was a big success for Nintendo.

Skyblade
02-01-2017, 08:31 PM
Does the middle thingy the controller sticks fit into to make it a single controller come with the Switch or is that separate?

That comes with it.
"Use the included Joy‑Con grip to combine both Joy‑Con into a traditional-style controller."

There are also plans for different varieties of Joy-Cons, such as ones with a D-Pad, though we have no confirmed details on what these alternatives may be (and they'll cost extra).

Some of the motion control stuff shown in the extended commercial gives off a Wii vibe, which may be good since that was a big success for Nintendo.

Indeed. I really wish 1-2 Switch was a pack-in title. It feels perfect for it, and I'm really not sure how well it will do on its own at that price. It doesn't seem like the sort of game that people will go hunt down to buy, but one they'd love to have with the system to play with friends/at parties the way Wii Sports was.

I'm loving that annual price for the online service, though. As long as they can deliver solid online performance with their dedicated servers, and offer reliable online, I'm absolutely on board at that price.

Formalhaut
02-01-2017, 08:54 PM
1-2 Switch should definitely have come included, similar to what Wii Sports was to the Wii. The system is very expensive (especially the controllers, sheesh) and I don't think people would go out of their way to purchase 1-2 Switch. I mean, i enjoyed Wii Sports, but I wouldn't purchase it.

Del Murder
02-01-2017, 09:00 PM
Not including 1-2 Switch as a pack-in title is a huge mistake. Wii Sports basically made the Wii.

Colonel Angus
02-01-2017, 09:03 PM
I'm also in the camp that thinks 1-2 Switch should've been included. For a lot of gamers, I'll even guess casual gamers, it doesn't seem like something you'd make an effort to go out to buy. They could've included it pre-installed onto the system, like the 2DS now has Mario Kart 7. Probably wouldn't have taken too much space.

Necronopticous
02-02-2017, 09:38 PM
Skip to 3:48

S1r369yv2Uk

Welcome to 2017.

Depression Moon
02-02-2017, 10:46 PM

S1r369yv2Uk

Welcome to 2017.

I didn't see this one. It's different from the Superbowl one.

Skyblade
02-03-2017, 03:57 AM

S1r369yv2Uk

Welcome to 2017.

I didn't see this one. It's different from the Superbowl one.

It's from Nintendo UK, while the Super Bowl one is Nintendo of America. Makes sense to have a commercial for other regions.

How do you all think they compare?

Scruffington
02-04-2017, 11:53 PM
I've basically given up on there being any chance of any retailer having the Switch in stock for preorder.

Looks like I'm going to have to wait outside for this one if I want it on launch day. Still undecided if I'll do it or not. I haven't done that for a game system since the Wii came out in 2006.

Scruffington
02-20-2017, 10:04 AM
Crazy to think that the Nintendo Switch comes out next Friday. I've hardly seen any buzz around the new system since the Switch Direct last month.

I'm sure excitement will pick up for the console again as soon as it gets released though.

Scruffington
02-23-2017, 03:16 PM
dodnbYkbiZE

Here is the official unboxing video from Nintendo's Youtube channel. I have to say that I'm really impressed with the visual design of the console. It looks really good.

Depression Moon
02-24-2017, 03:32 AM
That girl from Nintendo Minute is so cute.

Skyblade
02-28-2017, 03:50 PM

Almost here. Tons of news out about it which I haven't been able to keep posted here. But I'm so excited for the launch.

NEW BLASTER MASTER ANNOUNCED AS A SWITCH EXCLUSIVE IN THE NINDIES SHOWCASE!
p-mFODSa2VM
V6hPZ_5cSbc

Hype hype hype. :omgomg:

Depression Moon
02-28-2017, 07:16 PM
Oh shit, a new Advance Wars!

Scruffington
02-28-2017, 07:38 PM
Don't think I'm getting a Switch on Day 1 anymore. As nice as it would be, $550 is a lot to shell out for me right now.

Formalhaut
02-28-2017, 07:55 PM
I don't think I've ever purchased a console or handheld Day One, or even year one. Just too much cost.

Squall Leonhart Loire
02-28-2017, 08:52 PM
That girl from Nintendo Minute is so cute.Which one?

Skyblade
03-01-2017, 09:53 AM

Getting closer. So excited for this thing. Zelda, Bomberman, and Snipperclips are what I'm aiming for on launch.

A lot more fun titles coming, but to be honest, I'll probably be playing just Breath of the Wild for quite a while.

Fox
03-01-2017, 01:17 PM
Gotta say the big batch of game announcements recently has put a little spark back into my enthusiasm for the Switch. I'm still not super interested right now but at least it's starting to look like a credible machine again.

Depression Moon
03-02-2017, 03:21 AM
I got to say I am genuinely excited and obligated to buy a game with a black female protagonist. Dandara is on my to watch list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GIrAeNRupI

Skyblade
03-02-2017, 07:11 AM

It's almost here. So excited. Zelda is what I'll play, pretty much nonstop, for the first week. But then there's Blaster Master Zero coming out one week later, and I'll play some of that. Snipperclips and Bomberman. So many titles. Can't wait. But I'm going to. Tomorrow night, going to be at GameStop, waiting.

Skyblade
03-03-2017, 11:24 AM
Snipperclips is absolutely amazing. Seriously, if you have a Switch, and any friends, GET THIS GAME. It is one of the best multiplayer experiences I've had in a LONG time.

Scruffington
03-03-2017, 06:35 PM
Really sad that I can't get a Switch just yet. But I'm hoping to get one in April.

Pike
03-03-2017, 10:57 PM
I decided today that I want one of these but I'm pretty sure they're gonna be sold out around town for the next several months so uh I'll just wait :shifty:

Raebus
03-05-2017, 02:08 PM
I appreciate the early adopters testing the hardware for those who'll eventually get improved versions. Eventually i'll buy a switch but not until it has more games in it's arsenal. *Been burnt before when buying a nintendo console at launch*

Depression Moon
03-05-2017, 04:42 PM
Raebus are you referring to the dead pixel thing?

Raebus
03-06-2017, 01:25 AM
Partly referring to that :) It's also stories relating to problems with the switch controllers, losing connectivity etc. People know the risk of buying a console at launch with possible hardware related problems but i've learnt from past experiences to wait. :3

Sephex
03-06-2017, 03:01 PM
My experience with the Switch has been positive. The joy cons feels great (and allow me to be a lazy lounge dude while playing). I haven't experienced any connectivity problems that have been reported. I played somewhere between 20-30 hours so far. I spent a good portion of playing the Switch in handheld mode with the joy cons attached the to screen. That also felt natural and good. It really helps when a game like Zelda really knocks it out of the park. I would say that if you want to get the console only for Zelda, go for it. If you think you can wait or simply want to deal with Zelda on the Wii U (people who have played both say they prefer the Switch version just for the cleaner interface) then waiting a few months would be a good plan.

Slothy
03-06-2017, 09:30 PM
God I just found out about the dead pixel thing. We'll done trying to pass it off as not being a defect Nintendo.

Raebus
03-06-2017, 10:50 PM
Apparently the dead pixels thing isn't a defect and that it's "normal", their own words. The more I research the switch, the less I want to get one for the time being. I have a Wii U so if I want to play the new zelda, could just get that version.

Scruffington
03-07-2017, 03:22 AM
Unfortunately it's looking like I won't be able to trade in my Wii U towards a Switch...EB Games is telling me that I'm ineligible for the promotion since it is sold out.

Scruffington
07-25-2017, 04:50 PM
Has anyone else picked up a Switch? Seems like I'm the only one here who has one. :(

Lyndis Highwind
07-25-2017, 05:20 PM
I've really been wanting one! Now that I have job I can save up for one though, so hopefully I'll get one soon!

Darth Ganon
07-25-2017, 07:12 PM
I have a Switch, but only because I pre-ordered the Zelda special edition (I wasn't going to get the Wii U version, too). The Switch only confirms my stance on never buying a system at launch and waiting for a better version to be released later on.

My main gripe is the size of the joy-cons. They're too small for my hands and actually are detrimental to playing games. I have no idea how often I'd crouch by accident in Zelda due to the way I have to hold them to be comfortable (I actually failed the Hero's Trial due to this). Using the bow was really awkward as well, but I've been able to manage it pretty well in the long run.

So here I am stuck with controllers designed for toddler hands or spend SEVENTY DOLLARS for a pro-controller. No thanks. As soon as that Nyko controller comes out ($30 I think) I'm grabbing that.

There's also no way to charge the joy-cons and play without reverting to the handheld mode, which in turn drains the system battery. Nintendo also felt the need to make the consumer buy a charging grip separately (released at launch, not packaged with Switch) and have a cheep plastic docking bay that could potentially scratch the screen and isn't sturdy at all. Nyko is also releasing a dock that looks much better.

Weak wi-fi connectivity was also an issue unless you were in the room with the router, but I haven't noticed a problem lately. Is that even possible to fix with a system patch?

I also never had performance problems with the joy-cons like other have (besides the small size).

For those interested in a Switch I would recommend waiting for the inevitable Switch XL that would hopefully address most of these problems (maybe even include headset support rather than needing a smart phone + app). Bigger memory would be nice, too. Nintendo loves pushing digital these day without the HDD to support it.

I do really like the system itself, though. It's a shame that the design and accessory handling has been a flop. Taking instant screenshots rather than having to post on Miiverse is nice, but I'd like a way to upload more than one at a time (outside of using a SD card). Video capture like PS4 would be great, too.