PDA

View Full Version : Peter Capaldi leaving Doctor Who

charliepanayi
01-30-2017, 10:44 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-38805151

So who should be the next Doctor?

Freya
01-30-2017, 10:52 PM
Oh, wow. I haven't even watched any Capaldi yet. I'm behind a bit.

Who do I want as the new doctor. Hmmmmmmmm Maybe something a bit more non-traditional?

Formalhaut
01-30-2017, 11:00 PM
Noooooo. I mean, I thought it would happen, but it is a shame. I really like Capaldi's doctor.

Going to say it now: I want a woman doctor. Or a black doctor. Or both. Something that's different and refreshing.

Psychotic
01-31-2017, 07:59 AM
Capaldi's Doctor only occasionally hit the heights for me. He's not a bad actor but I lost a lot of the interest I had in the show during his run.

New Doctor? I want Eddie Redmayne to play his Fantastic Beasts character. :3:

Old Manus
01-31-2017, 09:13 AM
Has anyone made a 'fuckity bye' joke yet?

Jinx
01-31-2017, 02:42 PM
Good. I hated his Doctor. Stopped watching during his run.

Like Psy said, he's a great actor. His Doctor just was not for me. At all. I only started watching at the reboot mark, but I loved Nine, Ten, and Eleven. Twelve is terrible. Fuck, even John Hurt in his one-off was great.

So I think this is good news.

As for who should be the new Doctor: I'm with Formy. It doesn't have to necessarily be a woman or black person or whatever. Just something DIFFERENT. A kid Doctor? I dunno, the show is just stale and they need to change it a bit.

I actually kind of loved Aasif Mandvi and how whimsical he was in Series of Unfortunate Events, so I feel like he'd be a great replacement. If they were going to go with a woman, Michelle Dockery. Give me Mary Crawley Doctor every day of the week, please.

charliepanayi
01-31-2017, 02:54 PM
I rather liked him as the Doctor, but the show can't get away from the fact that any show is going to feel stale after a decade plus on the air.

Whether they go male, female, white, non-white, I think it would be better to get another Matt Smith-type who isn't so well known.

Formalhaut
01-31-2017, 03:16 PM
Funnily enough I kinda half-stopped at Matt Smith's doctor. He was good at first but I quickly grew tired of his zany antics and exaggerated personality. His final season wasn't that great. 'Dinosaurs on a Spaceship'? What?

I think I like Capaldi so much because of how much he isn't Matt Smith's doctor. Grumpier, more subdued. There were certainly bad episodes, but I'm not sure that's Capaldi's fault or the script. Gatiss's 'Sleep no More' was a dreadful episode.

Psychotic
01-31-2017, 03:30 PM
I think to write off the 11th Doctor as zany is do to him a disservice. There were a few unfunny one note physical comedy gags that they threw in because they still market it as a family show such as the bald cap, but they've done that with every Doctor since the reboot. See: farting aliens.

As far as grumpy goes, every Doctor is grumpy in his own way. But Capaldi's Doctor was outright nasty, in particular laying nasty little digs into Clara for no real reason. Grumpy is endearing, spiteful isn't especially.

Formalhaut
01-31-2017, 03:36 PM
I've only watched each episode once, so forgive me if I do rely on washy generalisations. I think Capaldi's doctor is definitely acerbic in the early episodes. Having watched all of them, he mellows enough that I'm happy to call him 'grumpy', but he has spiky moments.

Slothy
01-31-2017, 03:37 PM
Capaldi's doctor is great.

charliepanayi
01-31-2017, 03:47 PM
Basically, every Doctor has their champions and critics, with the possible exception of Colin Baker's, who pretty much nobody likes. And of course everyone likes Tom Baker.

Freya
01-31-2017, 05:30 PM
It should be a Ginger. I just remembered 10 and 11 saying they wish they'd have been a ginger.

Slothy
01-31-2017, 05:35 PM
It should be a Ginger. I just remembered 10 and 11 saying they wish they'd have been a ginger.

Karen Gillan for the new doctor. I don't care if it doesn't make much sense.

Psychotic
01-31-2017, 05:36 PM
Basically, every Doctor has their champions and critics, with the possible exception of Colin Baker's, who pretty much nobody likes.Isn't Trial of a Time Lord the most marmite of all Doctor Who serials though? :p

Karen Gillan for the new doctor. I don't care if it doesn't make much sense.Heck yes let's do that. And it does make sense! After Capaldi played that character in the Pompeii episode, they made it canon that he subconsciously chose that face to be his new one. Why not subconsciously choose to be a Pond?

Formalhaut
01-31-2017, 05:57 PM
Subconsciously choosing the face of a minor character from one episode is fair enough. Subconsciously choosing the face of a companion? Ehhhhhhh.

Slothy
01-31-2017, 06:50 PM

Karen Gillan for the new doctor. I don't care if it doesn't make much sense.Heck yes let's do that. And it does make sense! After Capaldi played that character in the Pompeii episode, they made it canon that he subconsciously chose that face to be his new one. Why not subconsciously choose to be a Pond?

Well he holds a lot more guilt over Amy than the no guilt he felt for saving pompeii people. BUT! I also don't give a shit and I want her back damn it!

Jinx
01-31-2017, 09:29 PM
I think in a way it would be awesome. Like, dealing with the pain every time he looks in the mirror.

Mr. Carnelian
01-31-2017, 09:45 PM
It's definitely about time that the Doctor was something other than a white man. I don't think it should be Gillan though: I'd rather it was someone completely new.

Formalhaut
01-31-2017, 09:45 PM
It does make sense, definitely, and it sounds like a good idea in principle (though I personally would like to see a new actor in the role). Amy is not the first or the last companion to die under the Doctor's supervision, though.

Slothy
01-31-2017, 10:00 PM
She's not really dead.

In all seriousness I would like a new actor, but if they announced tomorrow that the new Doctor was Karen I would not have an issue with it. My life could always use more of her in it.

Psychotic
01-31-2017, 10:36 PM
Does anyone actually want the character to remain male? I can see most people in this thread would like that to change but I find myself disagreeing. Oh, and I don't doubt in the wider internet sphere there are a lot of knuckle dragging twats that would hate the idea and will send death threats to whatever actress gets the nod. I guess that's why I'm asking the question here as I actually care what you all think.

To me Doctor is an important role model for boys and teens as a good example of positive masculinity. His strong moral compass, general belief in non-violence and willingness to display emotions are all much needed qualities that aren't always encouraged in young men. I don't disagree that there does need to be a greater representation of females and minorities (not opposed to a minority Doctor at all) in the media in general. However, I also don't think females are under represented in Doctor Who and I also think you're better off introducing new characters and shows with female leads rather than changing an existing character arbitrarily.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to boycott the show or write to my MP if they do cast a female - unless it's Miranda Hart but that's because Miranda Hart is an abomination - but likewise I don't think it's the right call either.

Slothy
01-31-2017, 10:43 PM
I can understand your argument (and I don't disagree with you at all on the Doctor having some great qualities for young boys to see in a male protagonist) but in a world with no shortage of male Doctors in the past and no reason they can't go back to a male Doctor in the future I'm not sure I'd agree. Particularly since a gender swap would lead to, what I think anyway (as a man so let me know if any of you women here disagree) a pretty great role model for young girls in the fact that you'd have a brilliant, take charge and save the day character for them to look up to. There've been some companions that toy with that a bit but at the end of the day they still largely follow the Doctors lead. Why not have a female Doctor that the men get to follow for a change?

Formalhaut
01-31-2017, 10:54 PM
I do agree with Psy about the role model for healthy masculinity, definitely. But I do think a strong female role model would do wonders for encouraging young girls and women to think about STEM industries more. I mean, the Doctor is kickass not because he can lay the beatdown on the bad guys, but because he out-think them and plan brilliant strategies without having to resort to violence. That, and the Doctor knows so much about science, mathematics, technology, physics. Seeing a woman in that position (as opposed to being the Doctor's everyday knowledge assistant) would be a great step, I think.

I don't think they should put a woman in the role simply because she is a woman. But because that move would revitalise the series, encourage new demographics to watch the show and inspire young girls and women to take up STEM more often.

Vincent, Thunder God
02-01-2017, 02:04 AM
I'm actually a bit disappointed that Capaldi is going so soon. His 1st season was definitely a bit rough, but I thought his second season was quite strong and I liked a lot of the humour between him and Clara. That said we get a whole third season with him before he leaves - and I guess it makes sense since Moffat is also leaving as showrunner.

EDIT: Just read that article and apparently there's a chance that Richard Ayoade could be the next Doctor - that could be pretty epic! "Oh no it's the motherflipping Daleks again!"

Psychotic
02-01-2017, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the replies, those are some good points and certainly made me think about my position. I am aware I do have an invested bias in this having grown up watching my recorded-from-TV-VHS 8th Doctor special over and over again (shut up I don't care how bad it was, he's brilliant) and being a teenager when the revival came back. The show does not, of course, exist solely for my pleasure. I still think it wouldn't be a bad idea to make new shows and characters rather than changing an existing one, although I can also see using an established character that is already beloved gives a much needed boost.

Cell
02-01-2017, 11:29 AM
next doctor: dr nick

Formalhaut
02-01-2017, 02:44 PM
Have any of you guys seen the BBC Three spin-off, Class? In terms of positive portrayals of masculinity, I'd say it performs fairly well, and the women in the show end up being more physically capable than the men (they certainly have more fight scenes).

It's better than the sum of its parts, though: objectively, you can tell it has flaws in some areas (pacing being one, with only eight episodes, it could've done with a few more). But I like it. I'm pretty biased though, as it has a rare example of a healthy gay relationship in the show.

Freya
02-01-2017, 03:37 PM
I want some more female companions who don't have some romantic interest in Him. That's just frustrating. Donna is bae I don't care what anyone says.

charliepanayi
02-01-2017, 03:56 PM
Well there was no romantic interest with Capaldi's Doctor and Clara.

Freya
02-01-2017, 04:03 PM
Yeah but Clara and 11 totally had a thing.

charliepanayi
02-01-2017, 04:12 PM
They did? I thought she was into charisma vacuum Danny Pink instead?

Psychotic
02-01-2017, 04:16 PM
I don't think they had a thing at all. She was just a naturally flirty character.

Also Danny didn't show up until the 12th Doctor.

charliepanayi
02-01-2017, 04:17 PM
Doh! I'd forgotten about that.

Freya
02-01-2017, 04:39 PM
I got the impression there was a thing there. :colbert:

Look Buzzfeed agreed (https://www.buzzfeed.com/drewr8/29-undeniable-reasons-the-doctor-and-clara-are-in-demz?utm_term=.xxQWjqE9q#.av6PZAOQA) and put a bunch of gifs together!

Psychotic
02-01-2017, 04:53 PM
Oh, well I mean if Buzzfeed said so. ;)

Freya
02-01-2017, 04:56 PM
Point is, they do it too often and I want less romantic interest for the doctor. I like him as male but do not like that every girl seems to have a thing for him, even if just for a little while.

More Donnas.

Psychotic
02-01-2017, 05:15 PM
Also to be fair, after the initial couple of episodes Amy was not into him at all either. I thought they did that really well, making her realise Rory was the guy for her.

Formalhaut
02-01-2017, 06:04 PM
Freya is right though: Donna is the best companion.

Slothy
02-01-2017, 06:18 PM
You both speak the truth.

charliepanayi
02-01-2017, 07:15 PM
I didn't much like Donna. For me it goes Amy/Rory > Rose > Clara > Donna > Martha

Jinx
02-01-2017, 07:49 PM
Donna forever, dude. (Although I have so much love for the Ponds.)

I love Donna because she was sassy af, but she possessed a sense of morality that even the Doctor didn't share at times. She didn't just feel like an assistant, but an actual partner to the Doctor. And I guess part of that could have been because there was no love connection there, but she actively challenged the Doctor many times. She made him better.