PDA

View Full Version : Who's Your Favorite Author!

Freya
02-01-2017, 06:39 PM
JK Rowling is making me love her again. From her current social media postings to her Pen Name, Robert Galbraith's books. I am loving her as an author.

I've also been very fond of Douglas Adams. I can re-read his books and always giggle.

Who are your favorites?

Fynn
02-01-2017, 06:40 PM
JK Rowling for me too. She's the reason I want to become a writer. She's also someone I consider an amazing role model in other ways as well, what with her charity work and social commentary.

charliepanayi
02-01-2017, 07:13 PM
Terry Pratchett. I don't think a celebrity death has upset me as much as his did.

Others I love: Anne Tyler, David Mitchell (not the Peep Show guy), John Irving, Sarah Waters, Donna Tartt

Karifean
02-01-2017, 07:20 PM
Definitely Ryukishi07. His characters are incredible, and his viewpoints and themes resonate with me greatly. The more quirky parts of his writing I just find really endearing, always reminding me that he's not some kind of amazing human being but just another passionate nerd. And I like that.

Pike
02-01-2017, 08:32 PM
Fyodor Dostoyevsky, just damn. The Brothers Karamazov was a wild ride from start to finish.

Sephiroth
02-02-2017, 05:44 AM
Nojima Kazushige.

Bubba
02-02-2017, 12:27 PM
Haruki Murakami

Fynn
02-02-2017, 12:28 PM
Holy crap, how could I forget how amazing Murakami is?

Mr. Carnelian
02-03-2017, 12:00 AM
Terry Pratchett. I don't think a celebrity death has upset me as much as his did.

Same.

I grew up reading Pratchett, read every Discworld book at least once, nearly all of them two or three times. I cried when I finished The Shepherd's Crown - the last book he wrote - for the first time.

Tiffany Aching was my Harry Potter. The first book, The Wee Free Men came out when I was eight or nine, and Tiffany was nine. She immediately caught my attention: here was a difficult child like me, who liked to ask questions and learned complicated words before learning how to pronounce them. She was confronting death in A Hat Full of Sky at about the same time my maternal Grandad died. She was beginning to discover her sexuality in Wintersmith at the same time I was. She was becoming an adult in I Shall Wear Midnight whilst I was having to start thinking hard about my future life choices for the first time. Finally, with The Shepherd's Crown, Tiffany came into her own whilst I came towards the end of University.

Colonel Angus
02-03-2017, 04:05 AM
Vonnegut is probably @ or near the top of my list.

krissy
02-03-2017, 04:44 AM
azar nafisi currently

Depression Moon
02-03-2017, 04:11 PM
I want to say J.K. Rowling since I read her books more than anyone else's, but that's too much of a mainstream choice so I'll go with Octavia Butler since she wrote my absolute favorite book Wild Seed.

Aerith's Knight
02-03-2017, 09:57 PM
Definitely Ryukishi07.

Who?

For me definitely either Brandon Sanderson or Patrick Rothfuss. Rothfuss is a better writer, but at least Sanderson actually publishes books these days.

Karifean
02-03-2017, 10:01 PM
Definitely Ryukishi07.

Who?

I see I still have a lot of shilling to do.

Aerith's Knight
02-04-2017, 08:46 AM
Definitely Ryukishi07.

Who?

I see I still have a lot of shilling to do.

You can start here. :)

chionos
02-04-2017, 07:28 PM
I have many, and it's really hard to narrow it down to just one. So I won't!

Fyodor Dostoevsky: The Idiot is perhaps my favorite novel of all time (Or perhaps tied for favoritest with Anna Karenina and East of Eden)

Terry Pratchett: One of my favorite people ever. What a genius. No one else can make me laugh and think deeply at the same time like he can.

Cell
02-09-2017, 10:22 AM
Either Phillip K. Dick or William Gibson.

Toss up depending on the day, really.

Depression Moon
02-11-2017, 02:15 AM
More reasons to like J.K.

https://68.media.tumblr.com/70509b72b4c8a8d2804db42c39d0cc09/tumblr_oksy8zxWYQ1qmbpspo4_500.jpg

The Summoner of Leviathan
02-12-2017, 01:35 AM
Rowling slays Twitter and I adore her.

But for favourite author, Marion Zimmer Bradley. She was one of my first inductions into fantasy and her writing is just amazing. Firebrand is one of my favourite stories/retelling of Greek mythology ever.

Honorable mentions : Rick Riordan (PJO/HOO universe is amazing), Mercedes Lackey (Valdemar books are awesome and she was a student of Bradley), and Patrick Rothfuss.

Vincent, Thunder God
02-12-2017, 07:11 PM
I really like Stephen R Donaldson for some reason. I also tend to enjoy most Stephen King books (two Stephens!).

In terms of non-genre fiction I really enjoyed Fifth Business by Robertson Davies (haven't read it in a long time though). Unfortunately I spend so much time re-reading the Wheel of Time that I probably miss out on a lot of good stuff.

If anyone's ever looking for a good short YA read Boo by Neil Smith was really enjoyable.