PDA

View Full Version : Guys... best Ghibli flim, go!

Freya
02-09-2017, 10:40 PM
Princess Mononoke.

Followed by Howls.

That's it. Move along.

Jinx
02-09-2017, 10:48 PM
Spirited Away.

Followed by Ponyo.

That's it. Move along.

Scotty_ffgamer
02-09-2017, 10:48 PM
Nausicaa of the valley of the wind.

Howl's moving castle and laputa: castle in the sky tied for next.

It really depends on my mood though. Any one of them almost can be my favorite depending on my mood.

Sephex
02-09-2017, 11:21 PM
Probably Spirited Away followed by Princess Mononoke for me, but aside from a couple I really like them all and can understand why some people would like some over others.

Night Fury
02-09-2017, 11:24 PM
Princess Mononoke for me. Love Howls Moving Castle and Kiki's Flying delivery Service

Slothy
02-09-2017, 11:57 PM
Princess Mononoke was my first and I'll probably say it's my favourite as well. I should watch that shit again soon.

krissy
02-10-2017, 12:18 AM
mononoke then howls then nausicaa (altho nausicaa could do spot 2 too)

Fox
02-10-2017, 01:02 AM
Kiki's Delivery Service! Followed by Howl's.

I didn't like Spirited Away much at all BUT it's been over a decade since I watched it and I wasn't really into anime back then... so I feel like it deserves another chance.

krissy
02-10-2017, 02:05 AM
same

spirited away made me uncomfortable in a lot of ways but i was a lot younger

Vermachtnis
02-10-2017, 02:59 AM
Kiki's Delivery Service. It was my first anime, so yea.

Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle are tied.

Fynn
02-10-2017, 06:52 AM
Princess Mononoke and Howl's Moving Castle are my favorites

Never got the Spirited Away hype, though

Psychotic
02-10-2017, 08:26 AM
I like the one where a naive and wide-eyed young girl goes on a magical adventure.

I was going to use a "So Grave of the Fireflies in other words" punchline but I can't bring myself to do it.

Bubba
02-10-2017, 08:27 AM
Howls Moving Castle, all the way. I'm gonna bring everyone down and say Grave of the Fireflies too. I bawled my eyes out at that.

EDIT: How weird, Mr Paulchotic

Shauna
02-10-2017, 08:43 AM
A magical adventure where she gets to pretend lumps of mud are delicious meals! What a great time.

Honestly, I am not sure. Give me some time to think and I'll give you an answer.

Bubba
02-10-2017, 08:44 AM
A magical adventure where she gets to pretend lumps of mud are delicious meals! What a great time.

Hey, the question was best Ghibli film... not happiest :lol:

Fynn
02-10-2017, 08:57 AM
I like the one where people clean the house and make it look so damn satisfying

charliepanayi
02-10-2017, 09:06 AM
My Neighbour Totoro and Spirited Away are tied for me.

Most underrated: Whisper of the Heart
Most overrated: Princess Mononoke

Cell
02-10-2017, 10:16 AM
Laputa is the best of the bunch.

Underrated: Ocean Waves
Overrated: Grave of the Fireflies

Freya
02-10-2017, 02:13 PM
Kiki's Delivery Service! Followed by Howl's.

I didn't like Spirited Away much at all BUT it's been over a decade since I watched it and I wasn't really into anime back then... so I feel like it deserves another chance.
Yeah Honestly, I also need to give it another try.

My Neighbour Totoro and Spirited Away are tied for me.

Most underrated: Whisper of the Heart
YOU'RE OVERRATED :mad2:

Fynn
02-10-2017, 03:03 PM

gtfo

Slothy
02-10-2017, 03:14 PM

Bite my shiny metal ass.

charliepanayi
02-10-2017, 03:25 PM
Sorry, it's an impressive film but almost every character in it needs a slap and As hitaka is a less interesting version of Nausicaa.

maybee
02-10-2017, 06:21 PM
Love Howls, Princess Kagura and Nausicaa the most :jess:

Mirage
02-10-2017, 07:56 PM
I think I'll have to say Howl's Moving Castle. Princess Mononoke is good and i liked it a lot, but I always felt like the ending didn't give me any closure. Not that a movie *must* do that, but I feel like this one should have. Spirited Away was fun, too.

Lyndis Highwind
02-10-2017, 09:12 PM
I have to say Spirited Away or Howl's Moving Castle! I also really like Porco Rosso. It's one of the most watchable ones for me.

Shauna
02-10-2017, 09:49 PM
You know, I was looking over them all, and I enjoy them all. Even the weird little ones like My Neighbours the Yamadas was pretty fun. But, I think my own favourite would probably be Spirited Away. It was the first one I watched, and it enthralled me into watching all the rest.

Formalhaut
02-10-2017, 11:12 PM
Which one would you guys recommend to a first-time watcher, out of interest? Me and Mr. Carny have never seen any of them, and we might dedicate a weekend as Ghibli Movie Night.

Mirage
02-10-2017, 11:19 PM
what sort of a story do you want?

Formalhaut
02-10-2017, 11:33 PM
A happy one? I don't know, what sort of stories are present in Studio Ghibli films?

Shauna
02-10-2017, 11:47 PM
I'd probably say just watch the top hitters in this thread: Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, Princess Mononoke, Nausicaa Valley of the Wind, My Neighbour Totoro.

(Huh, Totoro was not really mentioned all that much. Well, I'll still throw it down because it is possibly the most marketed Ghibli flick out there)

Karifean
02-11-2017, 12:01 AM
NGL I watched Mononoke Hime a few months ago and was just completely disinterested in, like, everything that was going on. What exactly was engaging about it? ^^;

charliepanayi
02-11-2017, 12:04 AM
Which one would you guys recommend to a first-time watcher, out of interest? Me and Mr. Carny have never seen any of them, and we might dedicate a weekend as Ghibli Movie Night.

My Neighbour Totoro is sweet and simple and a great introduction. Or maybe Kiki's Delivery Service.

Mirage
02-11-2017, 01:08 AM
I didn't find my neighbour totoro very engaging. it's definitely a very simple movie for young children, and young children alone.

i'd recommend howl's moving castle

chionos
02-11-2017, 01:17 AM
I thought I knew for sure, but now I can't decide. I love them all. Princess M, Howl's, and Spirited are all incredible. But I also love watching Totoro with my kids. They've all three grown up on that movie and it's a special family tradition at this point. That's our movie. But so is Kiki's and Howl's and Castle in the Sky, et cetera.

As a recommendation, Howl's or maybe Spirited Away. Those two are sure to suck you in.

Freya
02-11-2017, 01:25 AM
I say start with howls. You'd like howls.

And honestly the dubs are usually star studded casts and they're done well

Mirage
02-11-2017, 02:21 AM
studio ghibli dubs are usually passable, yes. the actors aren't bottom tier.

Night Fury
02-11-2017, 02:34 AM
Just gonna throw out that I loved Grave of the Fireflies too, as absolutely heart shattering as it is!

Scotty_ffgamer
02-11-2017, 05:23 AM
I still need to see some more of the non-miyazaki directed films. From up on poppy hill was actually pretty enjoyable from miyazaki's son. Only Yesterday was good. My neighbors the yamadas was even enjoyable. Grave of the fireflies is probably the only one I wouldn't watch again despite it being fantastic.

charliepanayi
02-11-2017, 08:56 AM
Howl's is easily the weakest Miyazaki film, why do people love it so much? |There are some cool supporting characters but the plot makes no sense and the ending is the most ridiculous deus ex machina.

Psychotic
02-11-2017, 09:24 AM
I didn't find my neighbour totoro very engaging. it's definitely a very simple movie for young children, and young children alone.Yeah it's pretty overrated. The design of Totoro and the cat bus are awesome but the actual plot is kinda ehhhhh. Nothing happens!

Mirage
02-11-2017, 10:07 AM
yeah it's cute but that's about it. it feels like a movie for children who have just learned enough language to speak, but not much older than that.

Nothing wrong with making movies for that age group of course, it's just not something i'd recommend for teenagers or above.

Shauna
02-11-2017, 10:18 AM
I really liked Totoro, because it was just fluff. But I guess as an introduction to Ghibli it may put someone off.

Spirited Away was the highest grossing anime film of all time until this year when Your Name overthrew it (not adjusting for inflation). I'm pinning my colours to this mast for a first time watch.

Night Fury
02-11-2017, 01:08 PM
I liked Spirited Away but I didn't LOVE it.

Fynn
02-11-2017, 01:11 PM
NGL I watched Mononoke Hime a few months ago and was just completely disinterested in, like, everything that was going on. What exactly was engaging about it? ^^;

Did I just read a death wish? :bigsmile:

Totoro is great because it's a huge nostalgia trip for kids who used to spend a lot of time at the countryside. I'd imagine newer generations of kids might find that hard to relate simple because of how much the world's changed

Also, Howl's is the best because it's magical, whimsical and the cast is perfect

Formalhaut
02-11-2017, 05:27 PM
There's a lot of conflicting opinions here. :p

Me and Mr. Carny will be doing our Ghibli weekend starting today! I think we'll start with Spirited Away, as it is probably the most well-known film from the studio. We might watch Howl's Moving Castle as the second film.

Freya
02-11-2017, 05:42 PM
Howl's has Calcifer

http://i.imgur.com/D4EQK19.gif

Spirited has the sprites!

http://i.imgur.com/W0YhZPp.gif

And Mononoke has forests spirits!

https://media.giphy.com/media/v38BvJSInBpII/giphy.gif

Psychotic
02-11-2017, 06:01 PM
Calcifer is awesome but I have never got the apparent love the forest spirits enjoy. They're just kinda... there.

Slothy
02-11-2017, 06:19 PM
How could anyone not understand the love for those creepy ass, rattle headed, forest spirits?

Fynn
02-11-2017, 06:20 PM
Jesus, Psy, you're like the worst!

The Summoner of Leviathan
02-11-2017, 07:04 PM
Princess Mononoke is the best, hands down. Followed by Spirited Away.

For my Level 2 Japanese class we had to watch Totoro sans subs. Basically, we were expected to have the language skills of a grade 5-6.

As for Nausicaa, the film is alright but the manga? Fucking amazing.

charliepanayi
02-11-2017, 07:23 PM
The Nausicaa manga is amazing.

Formalhaut
02-11-2017, 11:03 PM
Just finished Spirited Away! It was visually arresting at several points during the film: both me and Mr. Carny highlight the train sequence as a particular highlight.

It has the best beginning and build-up of any film I've seen in awhile. The parents moving through the temple and the grasslands, into the town, was interesting and made you curious about what was to come. The entire bathhouse sequence in the middle was also fun.

I'd say the final third was the weakest section of the film, though even then it was still good. I just feel as if the plot wraps up too quick and neat after she leaves the bathhouse. Meeting the kind witch, suddenly remembering the name, and passing the final test - it was all rather sudden.

Other than that, it was a fantastic film. And that theme song is very nice at the end.

Mirage
02-11-2017, 11:16 PM
i'm super glad you both liked it. so i guess that means you're up for more.

Shauna
02-11-2017, 11:42 PM
Glad you enjoyed it! Now go watch ~the rest of them~. Only 21 more to go!

chionos
02-12-2017, 12:09 AM
Yes, now watch them ALL.

Also, it's confirmed. Psy's mental.

Karifean
02-12-2017, 12:28 AM

Did I just read a death wish? :bigsmile:

No really, it was just like, oh this happened. Oh now this happened. Hmm, now this happened. Now that happened. Now the movie's over. Oh well. shrugs

Oh wait no, there was one exception, the arrow that ripped a guy's fucking arms off was amazing.

Freya
02-12-2017, 01:04 AM
Just finished Spirited Away! It was visually arresting at several points during the film: both me and Mr. Carny highlight the train sequence as a particular highlight.

It has the best beginning and build-up of any film I've seen in awhile. The parents moving through the temple and the grasslands, into the town, was interesting and made you curious about what was to come. The entire bathhouse sequence in the middle was also fun.

I'd say the final third was the weakest section of the film, though even then it was still good. I just feel as if the plot wraps up too quick and neat after she leaves the bathhouse. Meeting the kind witch, suddenly remembering the name, and passing the final test - it was all rather sudden.

Other than that, it was a fantastic film. And that theme song is very nice at the end.
I'm super excited that you enjoyed it! We're corrupting you in the best way possible!

Slothy
02-12-2017, 01:16 AM

I'm super excited that you enjoyed it! We're corrupting you in the best way possible!

Yes. The exact opposite of how I've corrupted Freya.

Pike
02-12-2017, 01:24 AM
My personal favorite was always My Neighbor Totoro. It was the first one I ever watched, I think I was six or seven? And I feel like I just appreciate it more as I grow older. The way the kids are portrayed is (IMO) very realistic and I love the songs. :heart:

maybee
02-12-2017, 04:29 AM
Howl's is easily the weakest Miyazaki film, why do people love it so much? |There are some cool supporting characters but the plot makes no sense and the ending is the most ridiculous deus ex machina.

https://media1.popsugar-assets.com/files/thumbor/C6fURdTi__hGkVJ71yhuzOrisEI/fit-in/1024x1024/filters:format_auto-%21%21-:strip_icc-%21%21-/2013/12/18/029/n/3019466/b90f3d55fa7367c6_giphy/i/Do-Avoid-Boring-Work-Topics.gif

Fynn
02-12-2017, 06:39 AM

https://media1.popsugar-assets.com/files/thumbor/C6fURdTi__hGkVJ71yhuzOrisEI/fit-in/1024x1024/filters:format_auto-%21%21-:strip_icc-%21%21-/2013/12/18/029/n/3019466/b90f3d55fa7367c6_giphy/i/Do-Avoid-Boring-Work-Topics.gif

What matters is we know what's good

https://68.media.tumblr.com/9b954d23c3a4b8bcee4b115f6948f223/tumblr_inline_nskq0aaikw1swehz0_500.gif

charliepanayi
02-12-2017, 05:41 PM
*shrugs* Trot out as many patronising gifs as you want, doesn't change how lazy the ending is.

Fox
02-12-2017, 05:56 PM
Actually the best gibli film is You're Name.

Karifean
02-12-2017, 06:05 PM
The hell kind of a title is that.

Squall Leonhart Loire
02-12-2017, 07:04 PM
I don't watch any. I remember watching them as a kid but now I just don't care for them.

Vincent, Thunder God
02-12-2017, 07:04 PM
I think the only one I've ever watched is Totoro when I was a kid. Maybe I'll have to check out the other ones.

Cell
02-13-2017, 08:30 AM
i am a big fan of that ghibli film you are name, yes

maybee
02-13-2017, 11:50 AM
*shrugs* Trot out as many patronising gifs as you want, doesn't change how lazy the ending is.

How? Don't understand what you are confused with mate.

Howl is basically : ( in simple explaining )

- Girl has low self esteem and self worth
- Girl is cursed by witch to turn old
- Cure to curse is loving yourself and believing in yourself and having more confidence in yourself
- This is shown in the movie by Sophie getting younger, changing in appearance, being young, but having aged hair.
- Howl helps her be a more confident person
- Sophie in turn also helps Howl be less of a drama queen, and narcissistic.
- Love and kisses.
- Happy end.

:jess:

I could be wrong but that's how I saw everything.

Fynn
02-13-2017, 11:58 AM
Pretty much. It's a very simple, personal story.

Psychotic
02-13-2017, 12:07 PM
You forgot the best part! The magical talking fire which speaks in a really sassy way!

Fynn
02-13-2017, 12:10 PM
And then there's the scarecrow that's actually a prince!

The beauty of this movie is in the details, really

charliepanayi
02-13-2017, 12:17 PM
And then there's the scarecrow that's actually a prince!

The beauty of this movie is in the details, really

Yeah, I love how we find this out in the end (without anything leading up to it, though I have heard the dub does this better) and he says he'll sort out this war business, kthxbye

Fynn
02-13-2017, 12:21 PM
To be fair, convenient endings are pretty much Miyazaki's Modus Operandi. And to be honest, I think it works pretty much in all of them. Is it realistic? Hell no. But at least we know why the story did introduce the scarecrow, and it really just brushes off the part of the story that isn't really that relevant - what we're meant to care about in the end is Sophie's and Howl's development and romance, and that certainly shines through in the end, I think.

Freya
02-15-2017, 10:17 PM
WELLL FORMY?! What were your thoughts about howls?

Sephiroth
02-15-2017, 10:35 PM
Spirited Away

Formalhaut
02-15-2017, 10:36 PM
It was very good! I loved how different it was to Spirited Away. I'd say I liked both equally.

AND THE MUSIC. The orchestral soundtrack was great. Oh, and Calcifer's great.

In case you're wondering, we're not watching the dub. We're subtitling it. Me and Mr. Carny prefer it, to be honest.

Karifean
02-15-2017, 11:24 PM
In case you're wondering, we're not watching the dub. We're subtitling it. Me and Mr. Carny prefer it, to be honest.

:thumb:

Freya
02-16-2017, 12:12 AM
But the dubs are greaaaaat. In my opinion. Billy crystal is calicfer! Christian Bale is Howl!

Psychotic
02-16-2017, 08:23 AM
Yup dubbin' erryday.

Cell
02-16-2017, 08:45 AM
Because Disney actually bother now to get proper actors instead of the scrubs that used to dub seven voices in every anime circa 1970's through to the early 2000's.

Shauna
02-16-2017, 12:43 PM
Honestly, I'd recommend the dub. Gives you more opportunity to look at how beautiful everything is without being mildly distracted by having to read things.

Fox
02-16-2017, 01:13 PM
Oh yeah, I keep forgetting dubs exist for these things.

I've started reading comics right to left by default now and it has become a minor inconvenience in everyday life

Mr. Carnelian
02-18-2017, 04:22 PM
It was very good! I loved how different it was to Spirited Away. I'd say I liked both equally.

AND THE MUSIC. The orchestral soundtrack was great. Oh, and Calcifer's great.

Personally, I preferred Howl's Moving Castle, but only by a narrow margin. They were both pretty fantastic.

Pete for President
02-18-2017, 11:57 PM
Spirited Away is still my favourite, followed up closely by Princess Mononoke and Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind.

Not Ghibli related but still Japanese animation: Millennium Actress directed by Satoshi Kon is my favourite Japanese film and I recommend it to anyone who also liked the ghibli films.

Scotty_ffgamer
02-19-2017, 04:47 AM
Satoshi kon is just great in general. I feel like I like all his stuff as well.

Squall Leonhart Loire
02-19-2017, 07:49 AM
Personally I don't understand the appeal of anything related to Japan.

Fox
02-19-2017, 01:51 PM
Personally I don't understand the appeal of anything related to Japan.

Eh, sou desu ka, Squall-kun? kawaiisou to omoimasu. Nippon no bunka wa totemo omoshiroiin desu.

Also, Takoyaki may be the greatest food ever devised by mankind. Go try some. I went to the local Yo-Sushi the other day where I had takoyaki and okonomiyaki. It was paradise ^_^.

What are people's opinion on the following Ghiblis:

- Ponyo
- Grave of the Fireflies
- The Wind Rises

These are all ones that I haven't had the chance to watch yet.

Shauna
02-19-2017, 02:23 PM
They are good. Just make sure you have steeled your heart for Grave of the Fireflies.

Fynn
02-19-2017, 05:46 PM
I really liked The Wind Rises!

Scotty_ffgamer
02-19-2017, 08:42 PM
The wind rises was great. Pinto is in the lower end of ghibli movies for me, but it's still pretty and enjoyable. Grave of the Fireflies is heart wrenching. It's a great movie, but I can't watch it again just because of how sad it is.

Cell
02-20-2017, 12:05 PM
I never realised until watching the Ghibli documentary film that Anno was the voice of the lead character in the Wind Rises. :ffviwhat:

Fynn
02-20-2017, 12:09 PM
HOLY trout WHAAAAATTT!!!

I remember him having a distinct voice but I had no idea that was Hideaki frickin' Anno!

Cell
02-20-2017, 12:47 PM
HOLY trout WHAAAAATTT!!!

I remember him having a distinct voice but I had no idea that was Hideaki frickin' Anno!

Hideaki Anno ...
Jirô Horikoshi (voice)

It was amusing watching the documentary where Miyazaki says he enjoys bullying Anno.

Fynn
02-20-2017, 12:50 PM
Poor Anno

This is why we can't get 3.0+1.0

It's all Miyazaki's fault

Cell
02-20-2017, 01:37 PM
Poor Anno

This is why we can't get 3.0+1.0

It's all Miyazaki's fault

In reality, Gendou/Shinji is just a represention of Anno/Miyazaki, with Isao Takahata as SEELE

Freya
02-20-2017, 04:01 PM
I haven't had a chance to watch the wind rises yet. Good to hear positive things though!

Nice
03-12-2017, 12:55 AM
I will always love Howl's Moving Castle best. Though Nausicaa is close. The Wind Rises was ok, but not a standout to me.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
07-03-2020, 02:03 PM
Alright so

I know this is a revived thread, but since most people now have access to a streaming service that has 20+ Ghibli movies (most recently HBO Max) maybe now's a good time to watch a ton of them and give your impressions?

Fynn
07-03-2020, 02:11 PM
For us Europeans, all of them our out on Netflix. Just an FYI.

Vermachtnis
07-03-2020, 02:25 PM
My answer hasn't changed in the past three years. Still Kiki's Delivery Service.

Judge Mandolore Shepard
07-03-2020, 03:10 PM
When it comes to the Ghibli films, the only one I have seen is Kiki's Delivery Service so I will go with that.

Wolf Kanno
07-03-2020, 06:23 PM

qwertysaur
07-03-2020, 09:02 PM
This

Freya
07-05-2020, 01:01 AM
Alright so

I know this is a revived thread, but since most people now have access to a streaming service that has 20+ Ghibli movies (most recently HBO Max) maybe now's a good time to watch a ton of them and give your impressions?

I was very confused about me making a thread when I Hadn't in here in a bit.

Mononoke is still best girl.

Vyk
07-05-2020, 10:32 PM
lol necro

Though I was actually just reading this thread a few days ago. Weird

I think for me it's definitely a Miyazaki movie. I personally think Mononoke is the best over-all movie. But my personal favorite is Nausicaa. And neither of them were my first Miyazaki or Ghibli movies, so there's no playing favorites with formative experiences. And while I respect people's choices, I honestly feel like Howl and Spirited are some of the more weaker movies with lots of random nonsense that had little plot relevance that I could tell. I've never went back to Howl's after my first viewing because it was a weirdly disappointing experience, and the only reason I've seen Spirited Away multiple times is because I know so many people who's favorite anime is that one, and I'm engaged to one of those people

Now I'm all for a kooky Alice in Wonderland fever-dream. But I feel like there needs to be a linking thread of consistency woven in and I found it hard to draw that line in those. The overall plots are interesting, especially Spirited. I just lose interest when they just start getting crazy for no apparent reason. It makes it weird to say that I like Laputa more than either movie, because I feel like it's a fairly weak movie, but it's just straightforward and charming and doesn't stray into nonsense for no reason, so it defaults higher on my list. I do find it to be a guilty pleasure though and I'm not sure why I should be ashamed of liking it other than the fact that it's mostly just generic Nausicaa and Mononoke all over again without the stellar writing of Nausicaa or spectacle of either

krissy
07-06-2020, 04:04 PM
mononoke hime for sure

/sips orange juice from a wine glass and eyes thread with superior intellect/

BG-57
06-03-2021, 04:34 PM
Princess Mononoke, but honorable mentions to Spirited Away and Laputa.

Am I safe in assuming that Tales from Earthsea has no defenders? :p

Quindiana Jones
06-03-2021, 08:23 PM
Princess Mononoke, but I love Howl's for being my first.

BG-57
07-02-2021, 03:21 PM
Can add Luca as an honorable mention? It felt very much in the spirit of a Ghibli film.