PDA

View Full Version : EoFF XXVII Discussion Thread - Strengthen Those Social Links

Pages : [1] 2

Formalhaut
02-14-2017, 10:36 PM
Here, players and spectators can casually chat and react to the game.

I will ask if you're actively playing the game to not use this thread as a proxy for communication. Reactions, light discussion about game theory and 'oh snap' commentary is fine! Don't reveal your identity or anything game-breaking.

And obviously: in the discussion thread, use your own accounts. Mafia accounts are for the game thread only!

Just going to say now, I'm excited to see how this plays out.

Freya
02-14-2017, 10:48 PM
I have no idea who any of these people are or what this theme is. Someone educate me. I think the dog is cute? Is the dog important in this series?

Karifean
02-14-2017, 11:04 PM
I haven't played the game yet, but I recognize this theme as Persona 3.

Formalhaut
02-14-2017, 11:06 PM
It's Persona 3 themed. When Qwerty was around, his role PMs actually had 'role-play' notes attached that helped people understand who they were.

I was kinda rushing the PMs to get the game started, so I had to omit them. If you're interested in who your character is and their personality, just Mognet me, and I'll provide a brief summary.

As for the overall:

Persona 3 follows a group of high school students trying to cope with, understand and accept death in a world surrounded by it, as well as find their own reasons for living. They form a group called SEES in order to investigate the Dark Hour, a mysterious time period between one day and the next that few people are aware of. During the Dark Hour, SEES explores Tartarus, a large tower containing Shadows, creatures that feed on the minds of humans. To fight the Shadows, each member of SEES is able to summon a Persona, a manifestation of their inner self.

FFNut
02-14-2017, 11:49 PM
I may google my character to role play them slightly. However that whole series is on my to play list. I'm excited to get this started!

Slothy
02-14-2017, 11:50 PM
Do you even gam Freya?

Freya
02-15-2017, 12:44 AM
I have never played the persona series!

Slothy
02-15-2017, 01:09 AM
Then the answer is no until you do!

The Summoner of Leviathan
02-15-2017, 01:48 AM
I have never played the persona series!
I thought we were friends...

Karifean
02-15-2017, 02:12 AM
As a Touhou fan, hearing "Yukari" say "I'll show you my true power" is fucking scary.

Scruffington
02-15-2017, 02:30 AM
Tfw I've only played Persona 4.

Formalhaut
02-15-2017, 03:02 AM
:p Glad people are having fun.

Oh, if you guys have any feedback about the 'Day Zero' thing I'm trying out, I'd love to hear it. Qwerty suggested it in planning and I thought it sounded like an good idea, but if you have any feedback about it, I'd be happy to listen.

That goes for the entire thing, actually. Never hosted a Mafia game before, so if there's any improvements you can see, please suggest them to me!

Freya
02-15-2017, 03:52 AM
I think it's fine! Gives people time to check in and not miss anything

Karifean
02-15-2017, 04:34 AM
Oh god. I'll have to prevent myself from being biased by voice act-Midorikawa has the best voice of any seiyuu of all time.

Formalhaut
02-15-2017, 05:39 PM
I went to bed wondering how long it would take for one more player to check in.

Clearly, a long time. :p

Oh well, it gives the game suspence: I'm genuinely intrigued as to what Akihiko is thinking.

[M] Greg - Hot Dad
02-15-2017, 05:49 PM
Well maybe if you didn't send the PM in the evening of Valentines Day leading in to a regular working weekday I would have checked in sooner :colbert:

Formalhaut
02-15-2017, 05:51 PM
Sheesh, easy, I was only teasing.

[M] Greg - Hot Dad
02-15-2017, 05:55 PM
I'm just joshin'

Formalhaut
02-15-2017, 06:04 PM
Aaaaaand it's Day One. Let your bickering and accusations commence!

Formalhaut
02-15-2017, 10:02 PM
Yukari;3654127']I think sempai is trying to deflect the question instead of answering it. I dunno if he's intentionally baiting or what. Why sempai?

Not gonna lie, I laughed quite a lot at this.

Karifean
02-16-2017, 09:09 PM
Hmm, I'm already pretty much certain on one character's player, but the others are tough. Guess it might help if I knew who's played P3 and who hasn't, heh.

I'm rather glad the first day has been shaping up pretty interesting so far tho.

Fynn
02-16-2017, 09:11 PM
Yukari;3654127']I think sempai is trying to deflect the question instead of answering it. I dunno if he's intentionally baiting or what. Why sempai?

Not gonna lie, I laughed quite a lot at this.

This is a valid transcription of the title

You'll notice the pronunciation is the same either way

Formalhaut
02-16-2017, 09:17 PM
I know. I found it funny regardless.

Also, I agree with Karifean. As first days go, this one has been full of intrigue. I mean, it's a little slow, but first days always start tentatively as people aren't sure whether to post or not.

Laddy
02-17-2017, 07:59 AM
Wow there's some rather odd gameplay going on right now

Formalhaut
02-17-2017, 11:53 AM
Ah, the return of the No Lynch debates return, it seems. I swear we have one like, once per game now. Now with added maths!

Fynn
02-17-2017, 12:22 PM
This is getting interesting

https://media.tenor.co/images/54451401d52c0dd2fe9ee5752857d53c/raw

FFNut
02-17-2017, 12:25 PM
Fynn pass the popcorn will you?

Fynn
02-17-2017, 12:28 PM
Here

http://mobile.bakeryandsnacks.com/var/plain_site/storage/images/publications/food-beverage-nutrition/bakeryandsnacks.com/markets/popcorn-boom-is-there-room-for-growth-competition/9095956-1-eng-GB/Popcorn-boom-Is-there-room-for-growth-competition.jpg

Sorry, some of it fell out

Formalhaut
02-17-2017, 12:29 PM
I'm not surprised, that bowl's tiny!

Fynn
02-17-2017, 12:31 PM
Not as tiny as you

02-17-2017, 01:26 PM
Ah, the return of the No Lynch debates return, it seems. I swear we have one like, once per game now. Now with added maths!

That's a thing? I haven't played with No Lynch rules before so didn't know it was so controversial.

Fynn
02-17-2017, 01:34 PM
Yeah, this is apparently a big deal to many people. Almost got me murdered on the first day the last time.

Formalhaut
02-17-2017, 01:41 PM
Oh yeah, at least on EoFF. We've had the No Lynch rule since Karifean did his game. There's always some disagreement on Day One about it!

Karifean
02-17-2017, 02:17 PM
I mean, it's a generally good strat in the format I presented since you do actually get a lot of information from a nighttime phase, but normally it's a lot more ambiguous. I certainly think it's in the town's best interest to lynch a likely suspect, and really, Day 1 should get to the point where you *don't* just randomly guess. The only reason for No Lynch is if you believe you'll hit a townie, and there are better ways to prevent that than not lynching anybody.

02-17-2017, 02:30 PM
Honestly, people are generally too reserve and all evidence during Day 1 is so circumstantial that the chances of actually getting a Mafia unless they significantly slip up is low. Day 1 voting tends to be reactionary and random. It can be retrospectively useful to see who is Mafia but at the time, not really. So really it ends with the Townies more often than not lynching their own. Mafia have 3/6 of majority votes if they really wanted to be aggressive and reckless.

If "no lynch" is so suspicious of a Mafia move then why would a Mafia use it? Especially given that they stand to gain more power from a wrongful lynch on Day 1?

Fynn
02-17-2017, 02:33 PM
Last time I was mafia, I used no lynch, and that set a precedent, I guess :p

Psychotic
02-17-2017, 02:44 PM
There's plenty of evidence on Day 1 if people vote and put people under pressure, certainly more than everyone cordially agreeing not to lynch anyone. Who is attacking who, who is defending who, who is using really silly reasons or setting plans in motion? Sucks to be the person who dies as they are more often than not, town. But unless you're a power role your job is to die for them anyway, so.

Also the actions of the town on Day 1 following the identity of the lynch victim can also be used as evidence on Day 2 and is much more valuable than "Timmy died during the night. He was a Doctor who made 2 posts, one of them was roleplaying and the other was a no lynch vote."

Fynn
02-17-2017, 02:47 PM
Psy is an aggressive opponent of the no lynch rule. He was foaming at the mouth when Karifean introduced it. And he wasn't even participating in that one!

Karifean
02-17-2017, 02:52 PM
If "no lynch" is so suspicious of a Mafia move then why would a Mafia use it? Especially given that they stand to gain more power from a wrongful lynch on Day 1?

Not lynching is not even that bad of a choice. However, as soon as it's proposed (and accepted), the influx of information to analyze just stops. Early accusations are productive for this reason. It gives you an idea of where everyone stands. That's why even if you are a proponent of No Lynch, you usually don't want to bring it up too early.

Fynn
02-17-2017, 02:54 PM
It does also kinda suggest you wanna end the day asap if you bring it up too early

Psychotic
02-17-2017, 02:54 PM
Psy is an aggressive opponent of the no lynch rule. He was foaming at the mouth when Karifean introduced it. And he wasn't even participating in that one!
I fully endorse its inclusion. But I've long been a proponent of "Yes let's do things on Day 1" and fought tirelessly against the same old tired "we don't know anything on Day 1 don't do anything" because that doesn't help. At least bloody try something! I've said this before but if you're near the end of the day and no-one sticks out, fine, go for it, but it shouldn't be Plan A. What have you got to lose? Oh no, one innocent town got lynched! Gosh, sure was a shame to break that egg to make my omelette! Hate to break it to you but lots of town are going to die at the town's own hand. That's the nature of the beast.

FFNut
02-17-2017, 02:59 PM
I don't really like the No Lynch because really it doesn't help the town out. It only prolongs their life until the Mafia pick them off one by one. Towns biggest asset is information, while the Mafia's is silence. A no lynch vote doesn't get people talking, reacting, and Mafia is able to sit back and watch the townies destroy themselves. Put a vote out however and you will see human nature play out. People will defend themselves, people will start asking questions, and this is bad for the Mafia. That is why they often will go with a no lynch vote, also they are safe if it is a no lynch situation where town is never safe. The more people get talking the better chances of hitting Mafia you have. No lynch is the vote of silence.

Fynn
02-17-2017, 03:02 PM
I do think Yukari raises a valid point and that there are benefits for town in keeping the option to not lynch. But then, I'm used to starting mafia on a night - this does make more sense when you're doing it irl, though.

Psychotic
02-17-2017, 03:08 PM
I also think it's a more valid tactic in games which require a majority for the day to end and so you end up with several real time days of discussion.

On EoFF a 24 hour day is traditional, and you get a handful of players happy to contribute a couple of lines a day which is just the worst. Don't give them an excuse!

Laddy
02-17-2017, 03:25 PM
Math.

02-17-2017, 03:30 PM
I think Yukari might have been hasty in her no lynch vote but there is sound reason. And automatically assuming she is Mafia because of it is a little quick and begs the question.

Laddy
02-17-2017, 03:33 PM
- Yukari Takeba

Fynn
02-17-2017, 03:34 PM
Damnit you guys, don't ruin it!

Laddy
02-17-2017, 03:35 PM
Just joshin' ya xD

Formalhaut
02-17-2017, 05:09 PM
I will freely admit as host in including the No Lynch option as a means to generate debate and discussion. I knew someone would advocate for it, and knew that would kickstart all kinds of accusations. I have to say, for Day One, this has been highly entertaining for me to watch and monitor!

As for my own thoughts on No Lynch? Well, like Fynn, in the first game it was introduced, I thought it was a good idea and very nearly died for it. Having read up about it and the pros and cons, I'd still say I'm technically in favour of it, but I would only advocate it towards the end. There is merit to it: when the total number of living players is odd, it is mathematically advantageous to stay odd. And there is a slight advantage over lynching a Town.

Honestly though, whether you like No Lynch or not depends on your temperment. As a cautious individual by nature, I'm pretty sympathetic to No Lynchers. Having said that, as much as I dislike aggressive posturing personally (random accusations, voting based on the theme e.g villain-voting), reactions to it can be interesting to analyse. I still dislike it, because I'm way too polite to just randomly point the finger and goad someone, but it does help in Day One to kickstart rebuttals and back-and-forths. Thankfully, there's usually enough upfront people I don't have to do it myself.

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see what happens comes the Night.

Shauna
02-17-2017, 05:28 PM
With 30 minutes to go, I don't expect Yukari to be saved. I guess we'll see how this all turns out.

Although, that being said, when I last played the last hour was the most intense part.

Freya
02-17-2017, 05:46 PM
Yeah I don't know about the day one jump on people suggesting no lynch. Meta wise, town is almost always hit on day one. no-lynching by default would prolong the town's day count. But really, it depends on HOW the game is progressing. Sometimes it isn't useful at all because of how people act on day 1. I just don't think it's an automatic "mafia-tell". :gator:

Karifean
02-17-2017, 06:00 PM
Aaaaand time's up.

Btw, I was wondering, is it possible for the cop to be not the regular sane cop?

Shauna
02-17-2017, 06:20 PM
lol

02-17-2017, 06:33 PM
*cackles*

I seriously spent too much time on this because I'm at work. Oops.

Yeah, people focused too much on my single vote for no-lynch than anything else. My predictions were accurate. But maybe a little self-fulfilling.

Karifean
02-17-2017, 06:35 PM
btw Formy according to your list, Aigis voted twice. In reality she retracted her vote for Akihiko.

Fynn
02-17-2017, 06:36 PM
I feel you, bri. I don't know how I managed to escape that fate in Karifean's mafia. Maybe because there were fewer people, idk

Slothy
02-17-2017, 06:39 PM
I'm not sure the problem was so much just voting no lynch as someone's gotta get voted for, you attracted a lot of attention and your reasoning not really convincing many. Sorry we murdered/let you get murdered you innocent TSOL you. Mob justice is a fickle bitch.

Fynn
02-17-2017, 06:42 PM
Join the next one, though! Odds are you'll survive longer! :D

02-17-2017, 06:43 PM
The problem was the knee-jerk reaction that no lynch must be Mafia. I also didn't know that would happen since first time playing with that rule.

Formalhaut
02-17-2017, 06:43 PM
btw Formy according to your list, Aigis voted twice. In reality she retracted her vote for Akihiko.

Oh, yes, thanks, that's been corrected. It was actually correct on my spreadsheet, but I forget to amend the vote tally in-thread.

Feel free to tell me if there's anything amiss. I am by no means perfect when it comes to this, and there's been quite a view unvotes today as well to confuse things!. My dyspraxia starts to show when I stare at reams of text. ^^;

Anyway, it's the first night. The OP has now been fully updated. People with night actions can send in their requests whenever they want! I included a possible truncation to the Night phase so we can get rolling sooner into Day Two, but if you feel like you need to use the full 24 hours or that you might reconsider, don't let me rush you, people!

Psychotic
02-17-2017, 09:46 PM
fyi the mafia accounts have had access to most of the other forums restricted. I left the EoFF section open so archives can be accessed for past game readings.

Formalhaut
02-18-2017, 12:39 AM
Just to let everyone know that I have recieved everyone's Night Actions, and no-one has specified that require time to reconsider or change their decision.

Therefore, I'll be sending results and opening up Day Two shortly. Thanks everyone!

Formalhaut
02-18-2017, 01:09 AM
We have a game now.

FFNut
02-18-2017, 05:18 PM
Things have heated up day two.

Slothy
02-18-2017, 05:24 PM
That might almost be putting it mildly. :exdee:

Who's the next to die? #worstmafiaplayerever #hopingforahighbodycount #wantstowin

Karifean
02-18-2017, 07:05 PM
Might as well ask here. Does "compulsive doctor" mean they have to pick someone to protect every night?

Slothy
02-18-2017, 07:34 PM
That is correct. Anyone with a compulsory aspect to their title would be required to perform their action.

FFNut
02-18-2017, 07:37 PM
Just posted from the wrong account oops.

Karifean
02-18-2017, 07:47 PM
Just posted from the wrong account oops.

Can't you just delete your post and repost from the correct account?

@Vivi: Thanks for the answer.

FFNut
02-18-2017, 07:59 PM
Deleting is against the rules so I can let it sit there. It's not a huge deal.

Karifean
02-18-2017, 08:03 PM
Deleting is against the rules so I can let it sit there. It's not a huge deal.

Looks like someone else doesn't agree ^^

Psychotic
02-18-2017, 08:06 PM
If you screw up and post with your real account you absolutely can and should delete it. It's posts from the mafia account you can't delete.

As a tip, use a different forum skin on the mafia account so you instantly know you're posting from the right one.

Slothy
02-18-2017, 08:13 PM
Or do what I do and use a different browser for your mafia account. Much easier.

FFNut
02-18-2017, 08:25 PM
Ya I have the Mafia account on my phone, and this account on my iPad. Just had the wrong device in my hands.

Formalhaut
02-18-2017, 11:05 PM
Yeah, it's fine. Everyone makes mistake. I'm pretty sure I make a mistake like once every three games. Just delete it and move on!

Also, back now from my birthday gathering, so if you have any questions or need a time-check/vote tally, just hit me up via Igor.

FFNut
02-18-2017, 11:09 PM
Happy birthday Formy.

Formalhaut
02-18-2017, 11:12 PM
Just reading through what I've missed. I'm finding the debates really intriguing as new characters become suspicious and characters who were pretty quiet now come into the fore.

Formalhaut
02-18-2017, 11:50 PM
Ken;3654542']Well, Yukari was a vanilla townie. So eight, obviously? This is a really easy maths question, even for a 10 year old.

Ken;3654543']Wait, seven. I'm an idiot.

Ken;3654544']It was eight to start with, minus one which leaves seven.

Comedy highlight of the game so far.

Karifean
02-19-2017, 12:44 AM
What the hell Akihiko, I'm so lost.

Psychotic
02-19-2017, 05:39 PM
You people are completely bonkers.

02-19-2017, 05:40 PM
Oh, Aki-sempai~ A man after my own heart. Mostly.

Fynn
02-19-2017, 05:42 PM
I am just laughing so har

This game is so fucked up

Whoever is playing Akihiko, you are making my day, Sir/Ma'am! :cheers:

Shauna
02-19-2017, 05:46 PM
This has been the greatest thing.

Formalhaut
02-19-2017, 05:50 PM
I'm glad you guys are having fun!

This Day Two has been incredibly exciting. Very textbook as well: just accusations flying around everywhere. I've never seen such a neat spread of one or two votes on different people.

Fynn
02-19-2017, 06:31 PM
AHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Formalhaut
02-19-2017, 06:33 PM
Well, something was funny.

FFNut
02-19-2017, 06:47 PM
Ihave no clue how day 2 is going to end.

Formalhaut
02-19-2017, 06:52 PM
It really could go either way at this point. It's pretty exciting to see what'll happen!

Fynn
02-19-2017, 07:17 PM
This game is so fucked up!!! XD

FFNut
02-19-2017, 07:19 PM
Agreed it can go either way right now with a good spread on the floor all around.

FFNut
02-19-2017, 08:19 PM
Hey Formy can we get a vote count from Igor?

Formalhaut
02-19-2017, 08:25 PM
Certainly: also, Minato doesn't know what a tracker does, so I will briefly explain the role alongside that.

Shauna
02-19-2017, 09:48 PM
i am crying rn

Psychotic
02-19-2017, 10:08 PM
hahahah Del Murder you are such a baby for admitting you are crying rn

Shauna
02-19-2017, 10:13 PM
:colbert:

FFNut
02-20-2017, 01:11 AM
Day 2 was intense.

Laddy
02-20-2017, 01:20 AM
Not my best game, that's for sure but man this town has a long game ahead of it.

I'll enjoy watching it unfold.

FFNut
02-20-2017, 01:23 AM
RIP Laddy. You fought hard this game.

Karifean
02-20-2017, 01:30 AM
o7

Slothy
02-20-2017, 01:48 AM
Sorry laddy. Looks like now than a few people were wrong. Very wrong.

FFNut
02-20-2017, 01:58 AM
Yes people were so sure of Laddy that they got blinded to everything else going on.

Slothy
02-20-2017, 02:00 AM
Jesus fuck! This fucking game man! This fuck fuckity fucking game!

FFNut
02-20-2017, 02:03 AM
It's killer isn't it?

Slothy
02-20-2017, 02:08 AM
He went there guys! :exdee:

FFNut
02-20-2017, 02:23 AM
You almost have to go there don't you?

Freya
02-20-2017, 01:18 PM
Wow this game!

Fynn
02-20-2017, 01:41 PM
I really can't understand how people can be so sure of themselves, tbh. This game is literally all about being blind and taking all options into account to remedy that.

Psychotic
02-20-2017, 01:44 PM
Nah, this is good. Decisiveness and forthright discussions make for a much better game than timidity.

FFNut
02-20-2017, 01:49 PM
I try to look at what others see, then I look at what I see. See if their are similar thoughts in it. If not I go with what I see. It's tough to try to find the hole in the way the Mafia work when you have no clue who they are and other players will play them different then the way others play it.

Fynn
02-20-2017, 01:53 PM
Idk, I'm kind of of the opinion that if there's a game where you have a group that's deliberately trying to deceive everyone else, it's very dangerous to be unquestioning of your own reasoning.

FFNut
02-20-2017, 01:57 PM
As much as the night gives a nice break from it though, I am ready to see what day 3 brings.

Fynn
02-20-2017, 01:58 PM
Yeah, this has been a very interesting spectacle

FFNut
02-20-2017, 01:59 PM
Now many peoples theory has been blown to shreds it is going to be interesting.

Formalhaut
02-20-2017, 02:00 PM
As host, there's a special kind of enjoyment you only get when you yourself know Theodore is Town, and hearing everyone's declarations of him being Mafia (and being so sure of it as well) is priceless entertainment.

Slothy
02-20-2017, 02:11 PM
You would enjoy the death of innocents you sick bastard!

I'm a sick bastard too though so it's cool.

Psychotic
02-20-2017, 02:12 PM
Staff can read Moogle Hug comments you sillies, and there are several people on staff playing the game. Don't put messages in there! I deleted it and don't worry 'cause I'm not playing, but yeah, not a secure channel.

Karifean
02-20-2017, 02:32 PM
Idk, I'm kind of of the opinion that if there's a game where you have a group that's deliberately trying to deceive everyone else, it's very dangerous to be unquestioning of your own reasoning.

To be fair, I don't think anyone *is* truly unquestioning of their own reasoning. It just serves to draw information out of people better if you state it assertively and put your targets on the spot.

Psychotic
02-20-2017, 02:37 PM
This is true. Mafia is often a game of persuasion. I can't begin to tell you how many times I've had to persuade a town really hard to lynch someone who is obviously scum (go see the archives!) but it was a constant source of frustration. Either way, from that experience I can tell you firsthand people are likely to believe someone who is confident about their target being scum than a wishy washy "oh they might be, I could be wrong though" half-answer.

Formalhaut
02-20-2017, 02:50 PM
They're both correct: it is in your best interest to seem confident even when you're not 100% on a theory. Much of the game is persuasion and (if Mafia) deflection. To succeed in both, you need to be charismatic enough to both get people on your side and make yourself seem above reproach and deflect dodgy questions.

Having said that, I can sympathise, because I really dislike sounding overconfident and I'm fairly cautious. Even when speaking, I litter my words with 'I think' and 'possibly' and 'maybe'. I personally find it really difficult to sound confident, but it is something Mafia is making me practise, that's for sure.

Fynn
02-20-2017, 02:52 PM
I'm just saying it's very easy to be led astray by that line of thinking and doom innocent townies, hurting your cause. It's also a strategy that ca be easily abused by mafia.

There really is no right or wrong way of going about it, but you can be convincing without seeming like an idiot who can't see beyond his own point.

Psychotic
02-20-2017, 03:01 PM
I guess it depends on if you are right or not as to whether you can get away with it :p

Formalhaut
02-20-2017, 03:02 PM
Probably the main thing is to be confident when you think you're right, but humble when you realise you're wrong or in error. Nothing seems more suspicious (or just annoying) than someone who doggedly refuses to back down from their point.

No matter how confident you are in your theory, mistakes will happen (as it self-evident with Theodore's lynch). I personally like it when people can fess up without throwing a tantrum, but then I also like it when everyone gets along great, which simply isn't always possible in Mafia! :p

Formalhaut
02-20-2017, 03:12 PM
Oh, small update and even a bit of advice about searching:

As I have time between Day phases, and as the pile of posts begin to grow larger and larger, I've decided to include Day links in the Opening Post. Basically, click on 'Day One' and you're taken to the start of Day One. Click on 'Day Two' to get to Day Two. it just helps you guys out when you're finding posts but aren't sure whether Day Two started from page 4 or Page 6.

Another thing as well: be sure to use the search function! It can be found on the top of each thread under 'search thread' (obviously). You can use an advanced search to allow searching for just one member. By paring down the results to posts just in this sub-forum, you can see all the posts made during the game, which can be useful if you're trying to locate a post by [x] by can't find it, or you're trying to character assassinate someone but needs some juicy details to block quote and rip to shreds. Whatever you're looking for.

Seriously though, the search function is useful for all you guys. Knowledge is half the battle!

Slothy
02-20-2017, 03:14 PM
Don't you tell me how to fight my battles!

Fynn
02-20-2017, 03:25 PM
I guess it depends on if you are right or not as to whether you can get away with it :p

To me it's more like I can tell that kind of reasoning wouldn't convince me in a game since it's flaws are way too glaring for me. So it's really not a sure fire way to convert people to your line of thinking. for me, it's just a knee-jerk reaction

Freya
02-20-2017, 03:37 PM
Well you have being confident and then you have being confidant over flimsy reasoning. If you're confident over flimsy things then you just look bad every which way.

FFNut
02-20-2017, 03:59 PM
This game messes with your head big time. You get a theory in your head, and then you get tunnel vision and overlook suspicious behaviour. Then one person will see the same thing as you and you end up all in right or wrong.

FFNut
02-20-2017, 06:44 PM
Ok, I a, ready for day three! Getting excited.

Formalhaut
02-20-2017, 09:29 PM
Just to say I've now received all night actions. When I next get to a computer, I'll just update my spreadsheet and announce the results!

Slothy
02-20-2017, 11:46 PM
Took you long enough Formy! ;p

Formalhaut
02-20-2017, 11:50 PM
Yeah, sorry, I was at the pub. Having a life. Now that makes me wonder what drink Igor would have. Hmm.

Anyway: my initial reaction at the results of the night was to postulate whether or not Strega is allergic to ice cream, seeing how they're killing all the vanillas.

Formalhaut
02-21-2017, 12:23 AM
Anyway, Day Three now is at Mislynch-and-Lose. This'll make the phase much more tense. I know it is a little to announce a game state but some moderators do state when a game has entered into a new state, and I feel like my style of moderating is of the more 'hands on' variety.

Besides, anyone who isn't Ken can do math and work it out, so. :p

But yeah, Town needs to lynch or they really risk being killed in the Night. If somehow the Doctor is lynched during Day Three, they will have no way of preventing a loss. Something to think about.

Slothy
02-21-2017, 12:25 AM
Don't you dare fucking jinx it Formy. :colbert:

Formalhaut
02-21-2017, 12:26 AM
I'm just giving everyone basic information. It's up to you guys to not make it happen.

I will admit I am secretly rooting for Town to survive a little longer. This game has been so exciting, I don't want it to end just yet!

02-21-2017, 01:47 AM
I had thought Their was scum, sorry Paddy, but seems like my next on my list is likely scummy given how they voted. :D? Excited to see how Day 3 goes. Hopefully I will be vindicated!

Freya
02-21-2017, 03:47 AM
Formy, your behavior has been scummy this game. You keep murdering all these townies.

##vote: formy

Slothy
02-21-2017, 03:50 AM
I agree. He seems to know what role everyone has and is just standing by while people die. He's the real monster here.

Formalhaut
02-21-2017, 04:28 AM
Igor is the mastermind :p

To be fair though, I've helped everyone out by declaring Mislynch-and-Lose publicly and reminding people that they can use the Search function in the thread to better help them investigate. Which fits in with Igor in the games actually, as he can't really directly affect the course of the game most of the time.

Freya
02-21-2017, 02:33 PM
This game got kooky.

Psychotic
02-21-2017, 02:38 PM
This game got good.

I have so much I wanna say but as a non-participant I have to keep my mouth shut. Blimey, though. Wow. Great fun!

Psychotic
02-21-2017, 03:19 PM
Probably shouldn't be saying you know who a person's identity is and basing your judgment on that. That's the whole point of separate accounts. As the game goes on you might figure out who several people are but it's kind of like kayfabe in wrestling, you know? It's a bit naughty and against the spirit of the game. Not to berate anyone as I'm sure it's not intentional, but yeah.

Fynn
02-21-2017, 03:20 PM
This is so good :D

Freya
02-21-2017, 03:22 PM
For the record I figured out who everyone was pretty early on :D I do have to say, FFnut, I am impressed by your improvement from your first game. You got a knack for this game! Which is great because that means you've been sucked in and we can have more games in the future!

FFNut
02-21-2017, 03:23 PM
Thanks Freya. I have learned a lot and am trying.

Psychotic
02-21-2017, 03:28 PM
Some of you make it obvious when you say "Oh gosh sorry guys I was at the Knoxville Barn Dance with my lovely wife Tabatha" :p

Formalhaut
02-21-2017, 03:33 PM
What madness have I created! ^^;

Yeah, if you guys want to give me any feedback, by all means, throw it at me at the end. I think there's one or two things I could've done that I didn't which might have helped somewhat, but we'll see how it progresses.

Day Three though, man. What flaws this game does have, it more than makes up for sheer drama.

Slothy
02-21-2017, 03:38 PM
Probably shouldn't be saying you know who a person's identity is and basing your judgment on that. That's the whole point of separate accounts. As the game goes on you might figure out who several people are but it's kind of like kayfabe in wrestling, you know? It's a bit naughty and against the spirit of the game. Not to berate anyone as I'm sure it's not intentional, but yeah.

Kayfabe has been dead since the 90's. :p

Psychotic
02-21-2017, 03:40 PM
It's still real to me, damnit. :cry:

Slothy
02-21-2017, 03:53 PM
I just suspend my disbelief. Undertaker will always be the deadman to me. :bow:

Fynn
02-21-2017, 03:58 PM
omg so rude aigis is a woman

Slothy
02-21-2017, 04:00 PM
omg so rude aigis is a woman

She has not identified as transgender! :doublecolbert:

FFNut
02-21-2017, 04:08 PM
Ohh boy this is great today.

Quindiana Jones
02-21-2017, 04:38 PM
Quin has joined the server. (https://youtu.be/My2FRPA3Gf8?t=40)

Not bad for my first game! One of my predictions came true!

I fucking died.

FFNut
02-21-2017, 04:41 PM
You played a good game.

Fynn
02-21-2017, 04:43 PM
What's it like being dead?

Karifean
02-21-2017, 04:44 PM
I love this game so much XD

What's it like being dead?

You should know =P

FFNut
02-21-2017, 04:45 PM
Yes Fynn knows all to well. Talking past games here.

Formalhaut
02-21-2017, 04:45 PM
You played a really good game, Quin! It was great having you! Stick around as well: there'll be other Mafia games every few weeks. And it's great having you around!

And I do think we need a short break after this one. I think everyone needs it. :p

EDIT: I don't think I've died yet since the new waves of games this year. I made it to the end (and lost) in Karifean's game, and the same again in Psychotic's game.

Of course I go missing and effectively die, but I've never been nightkilled or lynched so far this year.

Fynn
02-21-2017, 04:46 PM
Ah shit

I totally forgot that stupid game. Paul kept changing the rules :colbert:

Just you wait. Monokuma's revenge is going to be epic.

We also need a KH-themed mafia because Back Cover's story is totally mafia-inspired

FFNut
02-21-2017, 04:48 PM
I was so close to winning that game... Last lynched.

Freya
02-21-2017, 04:51 PM
I think i'll be sitting out the next game. I can't dedicate the time I want to this anymore and that makes me sad. I'll probably just watch it like psy's doing now.

Psychotic
02-21-2017, 04:55 PM
I have the time, but I get obsessed and give it too much time. It's not good for me! Lord knows I've spent too much time thinking this game over and I'm not even playing.

Formalhaut
02-21-2017, 04:56 PM
Yeah, I've only been able to give this 100% of my attention because I'm waiting for my new place of employment to finish checks and stuff. So I've basically been chilling with this, and writing on my blog. Which is not a bad thing, to be sure.

FFNut
02-21-2017, 04:59 PM
I enjoy the game so I play but I have only given it 50% as it has been busy for me at work. Really don't have enough time, but I stopped playing Pokemon in exchange for this with my time, and making my helper drive to the work sites freed up some time too.

Formalhaut
02-21-2017, 05:04 PM
Yeah, I definitely think we should break after this game for at least two weeks to ensure everyone gets a cooldown period.

Like Psy, I also invest way too much energy into Mafia. I've made avatars, special death avatars, a spreadsheet... crazy.

FFNut
02-21-2017, 05:05 PM
Lol my Pokemon trainer is sitting on route 5 in moon trying to catch them all, and most likely won't move until this game is over.

Quindiana Jones
02-21-2017, 05:07 PM
My internet has been down for two weeks, and I've used 40GB of data to use my phone as a wifi hotspot so I could play. Absolutely loved the game.

I love the aggressive playstyle; trying to smoke people out. Much more fun than a passive game for me, but it can sometimes go horribly wrong. :p

FFNut
02-21-2017, 05:08 PM
I am glad you joined the game!

Quindiana Jones
02-21-2017, 05:21 PM
:blush:

...:kiss:

FFNut
02-21-2017, 05:54 PM
I just suspend my disbelief. Undertaker will always be the deadman to me. :bow:

Ohh my God king, Ohh my God! All hell has broken out here tonight! It's a slabber knocker!

Psychotic
02-21-2017, 06:47 PM
You like wrestling? You like EoFF? You like forum games of intrigue and plotting that take entirely too long to set up?

http://home.eyesonff.com/showthread.php/152545-Eyes-on-FF-Wrestling-Federation-THUNDERDOME!

Boy do I have a blast from the past for you!

Slothy
02-21-2017, 06:49 PM
Christ I'd forgotten about that.

Psychotic
02-21-2017, 07:01 PM
http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy167/somesortofwalrus/iamagod/iamagod-Nov-2013---702651_zps2071acd9.jpg

Relevant.

Karifean
02-21-2017, 07:46 PM
HAHAHAHAHA

AHAHAHAHAHA

I love this game.

Formalhaut
02-21-2017, 07:52 PM
Explosive is how I would define this day so far.

Fynn
02-21-2017, 07:53 PM
My jaw has become dislocated

Freya
02-21-2017, 07:55 PM
Shinjiro;3655202']Now isn't that interesting.
This made me think of it as spock saying it for some reason.
https://media.tenor.co/images/9a32ee6fe584e748b07410e678bf6890/tenor.gif

Fynn
02-21-2017, 08:01 PM
Everybody's everything!

It's like in Kingdom Hearts where everyone is actually Sora - and those who aren't are Xehanort.

Formalhaut
02-21-2017, 08:15 PM
Koromaru;3655212']i did not drop anything i at a doctor i heal people i cant drop them

THE DOG CAN TALK!?!

Laddy
02-21-2017, 08:20 PM
Oh my god Koromaru please this is too good

FFNut
02-21-2017, 08:25 PM
Ohh this has gotten good today! I love it!

FFNut
02-21-2017, 08:30 PM
I love the fact that if Mafia doesn't kill another Vanillia in night 4 as it stands right now and they survive the lynch some how which is not likely they will give the members away if they don't. It's ice cream for them.

Formalhaut
02-21-2017, 08:31 PM
I thought Ken failing at maths was the comedy moment of the game until Koromaru right now :jess:

Freya
02-21-2017, 08:32 PM
jnpy pls made me laugh pretty hard tbh xD

FFNut
02-21-2017, 08:43 PM
I must admit that was a great moment.

Slothy
02-21-2017, 09:46 PM
Jayzus Koro! :exdee:

Freya
02-21-2017, 09:56 PM
omg koro :lol:

Karifean
02-22-2017, 02:52 PM
I guess we should ask; was Koromaru's vote for himself valid and had the vote locked down, or was it invalid?

Slothy
02-22-2017, 03:13 PM
Since the thread is still open I've been assuming it's not valid but maybe Formy is just being lax in his duties. :p

Psychotic
02-22-2017, 03:14 PM
He's not been online for 11 hours, cut him some slack!

Shauna
02-22-2017, 03:19 PM
I don't know why it wouldn't be valid. But, I guess we'll wait and see what the ol' guy has to say.

Formalhaut
02-22-2017, 03:32 PM
Am I not allowed to be outside the house for a few hours!?

Anyway, let me just check the thread. Voting for yourself is irregular, but I don't see why not.

Slothy
02-22-2017, 03:51 PM
I will be the one who decides who I do and do not cut slack thank you. :colbert:

Freya
02-22-2017, 03:53 PM
wrong thread

[M] Mom – Host
02-22-2017, 03:54 PM
I may have accidentally posted in this thread instead of the game thread, so... yeah. Open?

Freya
02-22-2017, 03:58 PM
jnpy pls is going to be the funniest thing for me going forward. Silly fynn

Formalhaut
02-22-2017, 03:59 PM
Anyway, now that I've cleared my tabs a bit (I got the game and discussion thread mixed up ^^;):

Self-voting. I didn't state anywhere whether self-voting is allowed or not, because to be honest I have never encountered it. A check of the Mafia scum forums and wiki show that self-voting is an established term. Thus, I allowed Koromaru's self-vote.

I'm sorry if people are slightly confused or annoyed; that's pretty understandable. But remember self-voting is pretty rare, and I can't be expected to know every little foible about the game at my first time hosting without any support.

So: Night Three.

Slothy
02-22-2017, 03:59 PM
Excellent job on the comedy upon being discovered Fynn. One of the highlights of this glorious game.

Slothy
02-22-2017, 04:00 PM
Pfft, I'm not going to get annoyed. It's my first game so I'm sure I'm fucking up left and right.

[M] D'Anna
02-22-2017, 04:19 PM
Looks like my post got deleted.

Pretty unfair, considering that on both of the previous "Day End" posts people were allowed to post and had no repercussions. Day 1 had 2 people post after the "Day End" post and did not get their post removed. Day 2 had one person post after the "Day End" post and it did not get removed. But I post after the "Day End" post and it gets removed? What's with the arbitrary decision making?

Not only do the "Day End" posts not specify that there is to be no posting after them, but there's apparently an unwritten rule that appears to be selectively enforced.

And I utterly disagree with the day ending due to a self-vote. It's not even mentioned in the rules. Not all players have had a chance to see or respond to it.

Freya
02-22-2017, 04:22 PM
It's also not in the rules that it's not allowed. It's up to how the mods want to rule on it.

[M] D'Anna
02-22-2017, 04:26 PM
It's also not in the rules that it's not allowed. It's up to how the mods want to rule on it.

It's also not in the rules that it is allowed. We can keep going around in circles if you'd like.

Slothy
02-22-2017, 04:27 PM
Not really since, as said, it's not strictly forbidden and final say goes to the host so your continued objections are moot.

[M] D'Anna
02-22-2017, 04:30 PM
Not really since, as said, it's not strictly forbidden and final say goes to the host so your continued objections are moot.

And, as I've said, it's not allowed either. Host ultimately does have the final say, but in fairness to all of the players of the game they should at the very least be able to respond to or see this decision. If a rule is being added after the game, all players should be able to at least participate or respond to it before it is implemented. This rule was not originally in the game, and it was not what the players expected when they signed up for it.

Freya
02-22-2017, 04:30 PM
Akihiko;3655331']

It's also not in the rules that it is allowed. We can keep going around in circles if you'd like.
So your complaint is that it doesn't specifically say you can do it. I say it also doesn't say you can't do it. So if not mentioned, you're saying by default that you should be right and it shouldn't be allowed. Mod says it is going to be permissible. And so you still "utterly disagree".

Is that a good recap? Have I misunderstood your point?

Psychotic
02-22-2017, 04:31 PM
There will always be scenarios that arise that the rules haven't covered as they haven't been envisaged. It's always left to the game mod's discretion then.

FWIW as a neutral observer I agree with Igor's call. Even if it wasn't specifically against the stated rules it's still against the spirit of the game.

Formalhaut
02-22-2017, 04:33 PM
Akihiko;3655329']Looks like my post got deleted.

Pretty unfair, considering that on both of the previous "Day End" posts people were allowed to post and had no repercussions. Day 1 had 2 people post after the "Day End" post and did not get their post removed. Day 2 had one person post after the "Day End" post and it did not get removed. But I post after the "Day End" post and it gets removed? What's with the arbitrary decision making?

And I utterly disagree with the day ending due to a self-vote. It's not even mentioned in the rules. Not all players have had a chance to see or respond to it.[/QUOTE]

I looked at the other two cases, and I believe I ruled that they did not unduly influence the game. Basically, they were inconsequential. If you look at Day One:

Apologies for my absence. My Persona has responsibilities that require attending, thus affecting my attendance here.

I am 60/40 on Yukari being Mafia/Town. If she is Town, I would stake my reputation that Theodore is Mafia.

We shall see.

So have I miscounted or is it not sudden death with the vote tied?

And on Day Two, it was just Theodore ratting on Town for lynching him. Of the three 'posts post Day Closure', only Minato was really about the game, and I let that through because it was very short, and Minato barely posted, so I deemed it was okay for him to post that after the Day end, knowing he hadn't posted much of anything before.

You'll notice I let your second post through, Akihiko, because it wasn't about the game. Your other post was substantively larger and full of theory.

I concede it is superfluous though, because it occurs to me I can post after I've closed the thread. So I guess I don't even need a Day Close warning. Hmm. I keep forgetting I have mod powers. Never had them before!

As for the self-voting, as I have said: it didn't occur to me that such an action could happen, thus it wasn't on the OP rules list. When the situation happened, I looked at precedent (on Mafia Scum) and made a decision.

Akihiko, if you want to discuss all of this in greater detail, we can do so over Mognet! :)

[M] D'Anna
02-22-2017, 04:39 PM
So your complaint is that it doesn't specifically say you can do it. I say it also doesn't say you can't do it. So if not mentioned, you're saying by default that you should be right and it shouldn't be allowed. Mod says it is going to be permissible. And so you still "utterly disagree".

My complaint is that only two players had even seen the vote or reacted to it before myself. That leaves 4 other players who had yet to even learn of the self-vote. Everyone who signed up for this game expected majority vote lockdowns and days to end at specific times, but no one expected a day to end due to a self-vote. Therefore everyone should at least be able to respond or react to the vote because this wasn't an original rule.

FWIW as a neutral observer I agree with Igor's call. Even if it wasn't specifically against the stated rules it's still against the spirit of the game.

How about my post getting arbitrarily removed when 3 other posts have been left up? Is that not against the spirit of the game?

I looked at the other two cases, and I believe I ruled that they did not unduly influence the game. Basically, they were inconsequential. If you look at Day One:

So you're just going to selectively enforce this unwritten rule, then?

I concede it is superfluous though, because it occurs to me I can post after I've closed the thread. So I guess I don't even need a Day Close warning. Hmm. I keep forgetting I have mod powers. Never had them before!

You could always just write "DO NOT POST" in the Day Close posts instead of not specifying it.

As for the self-voting, as I have said: it didn't occur to me that such an action could happen, thus it wasn't on the OP rules list. When the situation happened, I looked at precedent (on Mafia Scum) and made a decision.

Mafia Scum works differently. They explicitly whether mention self-voting is allowed in specific games and specific boards. This game didn't mention it at all.

Slothy
02-22-2017, 04:44 PM
Akihiko;3655333']

And, as I've said, it's not allowed either. Host ultimately does have the final say, but in fairness to all of the players of the game they should at the very least be able to respond to or see this decision. If a rule is being added after the game, all players should be able to at least participate or respond to it before it is implemented. This rule was not originally in the game, and it was not what the players expected when they signed up for it.

This isn't a rule being added to the game. It's the officiant making a ruling based on existing rules in a situation the rules as written didn't originally foresee. If you want to have a debate about whether this is good or bad then by all means there can be a debate about it. But there shouldn't be any fuss over it with regard to this specific game because the ruling has been made and just complaining about it because you didn't like the ruling isn't helpful.

And for the record: no game I've ever played has had rules that covered every possible scenario. And I've played games that have 100+ pages of rules before as opposed to the fairly limited rule set stated at the beginning of this game. And I've had to read through a few dozen pages of errata in those games to see what updates have been made based on unanticipated situations. And in those games I have still come across situations where there was no clear interpretation of the situation at hand and myself and my opponent or opponents had to agree on a ruling at the time and carry on with the game. And our standard way of doing it was to just come up with a ruling we agreed on on the spot and then research in detail later to figure out if there was anything we overlooked and get opinions from others for the next game. If you would like to discuss and research and come up with a decision for future games then go ahead, though it seems Formy has looked up what the standard used in other mafia games typically is so I'm not sure there's much argument to be made there. But we shouldn't hold this game up fighting about the issue. That's ultimately not entirely useful and certainly not any fun.

Formalhaut
02-22-2017, 04:53 PM
Akihiko, once more: we can discuss this over Mognet. But if you insist on posting here,

Everyone has a chance to react and respond to the self-vote rule. People are doing so right now, as a matter of fact. As I'm sure people know playing Mafia: getting the consensus of 8 players is a hell of a thing. It would've taken forever to get everyone around a table and agree or disagree on something. And ultimately: it is the host's call. Self-vote allowed, effective immediately.

As for the posting issue: I fully concede that I could avoid this matter if I remember with my (new) mod powers to post after I have closed my own thread. I must state, though perhaps not overmuch: I am new to hosting. Little errors and corrections will be made. I have stated several times that I'm happy for constructive feedback about how to improve the game (and how).

Also, I stated in the Mognet to you via Igor that your theory post can be reinstated at the start of Day Four, so you haven't lost anything, in the grand scheme of things.

And lastly, we're not Mafia Scum. We are a Final Fantasy forum which happens to also enjoy Mafia. Therefore, we don't have extensive boards, sub-genres, etc. to handle these complex issues. As a first-time hoster, I use Mafia Scum as a standard-bearer for rules I may not have forseen.

What I'm trying to say I guess is this: work with me, not against me. I like that you have ideas and opinions about how the game is run, because those ideas and opinions can help inform me the next time I host a game to make it better (case in point: the posting stuff). I only ask that you give such feedback in a positive manner, for the better enjoyment of all players.

Freya
02-22-2017, 04:54 PM
Akihiko;3655337']

My complaint is that only two players had even seen the vote or reacted to it before myself. That leaves 4 other players who had yet to even learn of the self-vote. Everyone who signed up for this game expected majority vote lockdowns and days to end at specific times, but no one expected a day to end due to a self-vote. Therefore everyone should at least be able to respond or react to the vote because this wasn't an original rule.

There was 11 hrs between his vote and the thread being closed. I'm sure they saw it.

[M] D'Anna
This isn't a rule being added to the game. It's the officiant making a ruling based on existing rules in a situation the rules as written didn't originally foresee. If you want to have a debate about whether this is good or bad then by all means there can be a debate about it. But there shouldn't be any fuss over it with regard to this specific game because the ruling has been made and just complaining about it because you didn't like the ruling isn't helpful.

Yes, it is a rule being added to the game. The rule being added is that self-voting is allowed. This rule was not in the game before.

I have no issue with the actual decision itself. Self-voting is perfectly acceptable. But this was not in the rules and not what every player expected when they signed up for the game. Half of the players did not have any chance to offer input and now they won't get a chance to since the day is over.

And for the record: no game I've ever played has had rules that covered every possible scenario. And I've played games that 100+ pages of rules before as opposed to the fairly limited rule set stated at the beginning of this game. And I've had to read through a few dozen pages of errata in those games to see what updates have been made based on unanticipated situations. And in those games I have still come across situations where there was no clear interpretation of the situation at hand and myself and my opponent or opponents had to agree on a ruling at the time and carry on with the game. And our standard way of doing it was to just come up with a ruling we agreed on on the spot and then research in detail later to figure out if there was anything we overlooked and get opinions from others for the next game. If you would like to discuss and research and come up with a decision for future games then go ahead, though it seems Formy has looked up what the standard used in other mafia games typically is so I'm not sure there's much argument to be made there.

I agree that you ultimately can't prepare for every single instance, because there can always be something new that pops up and isn't covered. However, I think it is incredibly unfair to add a rule that was not originally in the game, and not give every player a chance to respond to it. I also think it's incredibly fair to selectively enforce an unwritten rule (my post being removed).

That's ultimately not entirely useful and certainly not any fun.

You know what's not any fun? Being screwed over in some way by a host for the third consecutive game. Everyone makes mistakes, and accidents do happen. I understand that. I also think the hosts have ultimately done a great job here and I've enjoyed playing. Formalhaut has been a good host too. But this is the third game in a row where I have had rules either arbitrarily enforced upon me or been screwed by a lack of clarification. It's very frustrating and almost tiring at this point.

Psychotic
If I'm honest I think you're making a big deal over something relatively trivial, [M] Akihiko. Your post being deleted isn't a disproportionate response and not a harsh sanction. If you had been modkilled for it I'd understand your displeasure. The host knows you're unhappy, everyone else does too but I'd advise just dropping it, it's not worth this much hassle over something as minor as this.

[M] D'Anna
02-22-2017, 05:00 PM
Everyone has a chance to react and respond to the self-vote rule. People are doing so right now, as a matter of fact. As I'm sure people know playing Mafia: getting the consensus of 8 players is a hell of a thing. It would've taken forever to get everyone around a table and agree or disagree on something. And ultimately: it is the host's call. Self-vote allowed, effective immediately.

The problem with you allowing the self-vote immediately is that it effectively screws over the player's decision making. Had I known there was a self-voting rule, I would have definitely not voted for Koromaru and withheld my vote so town could deliberate further.

As for the posting issue: I fully concede that I could avoid this matter if I remember with my (new) mod powers to post after I have closed my own thread. I must state, though perhaps not overmuch: I am new to hosting. Little errors and corrections will be made. I have stated several times that I'm happy for constructive feedback about how to improve the game (and how).

I stated above, but I understand that errors will be made. That's perfectly okay. However I feel somewhat slighted by the fact that I had a post removed where others did not.

Also, I stated in the Mognet to you via Igor that your theory post can be reinstated at the start of Day Four, so you haven't lost anything, in the grand scheme of things.

Except that post was made under the belief that the Day would not end. It also might not even mean anything if it's posted on Day 4 because either myself or the intended recipient might be dead.

There was 11 hrs between his vote and the thread being closed. I'm sure they saw it.

There's no way you could possibly know that.

Had I known this rule was going to be enforced, I would have withheld my vote and not allowed the Day Phase to end due to a self-vote.

Slothy
02-22-2017, 05:02 PM
Akihiko;3655341']You know what's not any fun? Being screwed over in some way by a host for the third consecutive game. Everyone makes mistakes, and accidents do happen. I understand that. I also think the hosts have ultimately done a great job here and I've enjoyed playing. Formalhaut has been a good host too. But this is the third game in a row where I have had rules either arbitrarily enforced upon me or been screwed by a lack of clarification. It's very frustrating and almost tiring at this point.

Dude, this ruling wasn't aimed at you and I fail to see how you've been screwed since literally nothing has happened to you. You had two posts deleted. One was about the ruling and is far more appropriate here in this thread than the game thread and you're being heard on that one and by all means, we can all decide on a way to move forward with self voting in the future from here, even if it's just stating explicitly if it's allowed from now on. But nothing said in your other post is anything you can't just say again when the new day opens up. You have not suffered here in any way I can see. You aren't a victim of anything here. So how about we just move on from that notion and you can just say whatever you wanted to say in Day 4?

Shauna
02-22-2017, 05:03 PM
No point in voting because if you do there might be a majority lynch which ends the day prematurely.

That's a silly complaint.

[M] D'Anna
02-22-2017, 05:07 PM
If I'm honest I think you're making a big deal over something relatively trivial, [M] Akihiko. Your post being deleted isn't a disproportionate response and not a harsh sanction. If you had been modkilled for it I'd understand your displeasure. The host knows you're unhappy, everyone else does too but I'd advise just dropping it, it's not worth this much hassle over something as minor as this.

Except I really care about this game. I have a ton of fun playing it. And to have this sort of thing happen to me for three consecutive games is beyond frustrating. I'm honestly tempted to just quit and not bother with it anymore.

No point in voting because if you do there might be a majority lynch which ends the day prematurely.

And if you don't vote then you can't lynch mafia. I don't understand this comment.

Freya
02-22-2017, 05:09 PM
Kinda how you sucked all the fun out for me the first game because you decided to out me to everyone as the doctor becuase you thought the game was "broken" based on karifean's way of hosting.

You have ruined the fun too :monster:

Fynn
02-22-2017, 05:12 PM
Oh my God the shitstorm

Going full-on troll was so worth it :D

[M] D'Anna
02-22-2017, 05:13 PM
Kinda how you sucked all the fun out for me the first game because you decided to out me to everyone as the doctor becuase you thought the game was "broken" based on karifean's way of hosting.

You have ruined the fun too :monster:

Don't really have any idea what you're talking about. I never broke any rules, nor did I do anything that was wrong in the game.

Shauna
02-22-2017, 05:14 PM
You're complaining that you would have withheld your vote had you known about self voting. All I'm saying is that someone else could have thrown down that killing vote and saying you would have withheld your vote is silly. If it were Junpei, would you be complaining so much right now? Majority lynches can happen, I don't see why it's any different if it's a self vote or not that causes it.

Freya
02-22-2017, 05:15 PM
Wow, short memory.

[M] D'Anna
02-22-2017, 05:16 PM
You're complaining that you would have withheld your vote had you known about self voting. All I'm saying is that someone else could have thrown down that killing vote. If it were Junpei, would you be complaining so much right now?

Except it wouldn't have been Junpei because he explicitly stated he was not going to do so to avoid a potential lockdown. His vote being the "killing vote" could only be possible with Koromaru's vote being counted which, again, was not known to be a valid vote as part of the rules.

Fynn
02-22-2017, 05:16 PM
Well, right now I just want to say this to everyone (sans Akihiko): My condolences. Been there. It's been hell :p

Shauna
02-22-2017, 05:17 PM
People can do whatever they want, despite what they say they'll do. Mitsuru might have done the deed too. She was considering it, as I've heard through the grapevine.

[M] D'Anna
02-22-2017, 05:18 PM
Wow, short memory.

No, I just genuinely don't know what you're going on about. I was playing the mafia in that game. I used Karifean's character descriptions to deduce everyone's identities which happened to include yours. Everyone could have arrived at that conclusion.

You could have thought that was scummy of me and lynched me for it.

Freya
02-22-2017, 05:19 PM
You and I argued and argued and argued and argued in the discussion thread. You ruined the game for me with your complaints and posts about how karifean was hosting.

[M] D'Anna
02-22-2017, 05:24 PM
Well, right now I just want to say this to everyone (sans Akihiko): My condolences. Been there. It's been hell :p

Seriously dude?

People can do whatever they want, despite what they say they'll do. Mitsuru might have done the deed too. She was considering it, as I've heard through the grapevine.

Again, this hinges on Koromaru's vote being valid which was not clarified in the original rules.

You and I argued and argued and argued and argued in the discussion thread. You ruined the game for me with your complaints and posts about how karifean was hosting.

He effectively exposed my identity in the first night kill post. There were only two female characters in the entire game, and I was unaware that he would be referring to the specific genders of the characters who performed the killing.

You also misunderstood almost all of my posts when I was talking about the rules in the discussion thread. I attempted to clarify them to you multiple times, and I even reached out to you via VM to apologize for any misunderstanding and attempted to communicate to you even further. Instead, you ignored my message and continued to misunderstand what I was talking about. That's on you, not me.

Freya
02-22-2017, 05:27 PM
And I did understand it. I even quoted you and you said I misunderstood it. Not sure how I messed up a direct quote.. or the several I shared where you said one thing in them and claimed another after I shared them.

Look 3 times now in 3 different games you have complained about the moderators. At this point, is it really all these moderators who are out to take your fun away or.....

Fynn
02-22-2017, 05:28 PM
Excellent job on the comedy upon being discovered Fynn. One of the highlights of this glorious game.

You're too kind!

I'll be waiting for my Funniest Member Ciddie now :bigsmile:

Seriously though, I know this is kind of off-topic atm, but I made a huge blunder. At first I was really beating myself up over it since I felt really dumb by falling for such a trap, but I have to admit, it was a really clever trap, and the fact that I did fall for it really transformed the whole game for the better! Things got so exciting that I really stopped caring that I'm doomed - so I just did what felt fun! And I'm so glad I did because, judging by your reactions, you guys were having just as much fun as I was :D

So thank you, all. This was the most fun mafia I've ever taken part in, even if I did lose ;)

Formalhaut
02-22-2017, 05:31 PM
It was great to have you Fynn! Thanks for stepping in on Day One! Genuinely I thought I was imposing on you, but I'm glad you had fun.

Psychotic
02-22-2017, 05:32 PM
Akihiko;3655347']Except I really care about this game. I have a ton of fun playing it. And to have this sort of thing happen to me for three consecutive games is beyond frustrating. I'm honestly tempted to just quit and not bother with it anymore. For whatever it's worth to you, I just want to say on a personal level I'm sorry this has hit you hard. I appreciate it's difficult and it also probably sucks having so many people disagree with you. I'll give you further advice and feel free to disregard it but take a step away from this thread, from EoFF for an hour and do something you enjoy to wind down and relax. We all care about mafia but take it from me it's not worth getting stressed or feeling like shit over either.

Shauna
02-22-2017, 05:34 PM
Akihiko;3655361']

Again, this hinges on Koromaru's vote being valid which was not clarified in the original rules.

Not really? Before Koromaru's vote, Mitsuru or Junpei could have ended the day then and there themselves. Regardless of how the game actually went down, or what the individuals in question said they'd do. There was enough for a majority lynch without Koromaru's vote. Before Koromaru voted himself Ken could have changed his mind and switched vote. Junpei could have lied and voted. Mitsuru could have got off her lazy butt and voted.

Would you be complaining if any of these things happened? Because if not... self-voting isn't any different in the grand scheme of things. You say you would have held off on your vote - well your vote wasn't exactly required for a majority lynch either. The day still could have ended without your vote being included.

Yes, it was not an established rule, but the host made a decision and that's that.

Laddy
02-22-2017, 05:40 PM
If the host fails to mention, consider it allowed. That's how game and competive reality shows define their rules in contract unless the host intervenes. Self-voting has been allowed in previous games as long as the host has neglected to mention as such.

Freya
02-22-2017, 05:41 PM
IN OTHER NEWS. I had a theme idea the other night

So Bachelorette

But the bachelors are like Fabio, Derek Zoolander etc

I think the role playing would be hilarious and I want to watch it

[M] D'Anna
02-22-2017, 05:42 PM
And I did understand it. I even quoted you and you said I misunderstood it. Not sure how I messed up a direct quote.. or the several I shared where you said one thing in them and claimed another after I shared them.

Look 3 times now in 3 different games you have complained about the moderators. At this point, is it really all these moderators who are out to take your fun away or.....

I'm not sure what specific posts or quotes you're referencing here. Could you clarify?

Not once have I ever intended to suggest that the moderators were "out to take my fun away." This isn't what I think has happened whatsoever.

In the first game, I was upset because I had absolutely no idea that Karifean would reveal the specific gender of the killer. Was I upset? Yeah. Probably too upset. It's not like he intended to ruin my game or expose me. He just had a huge oversight in how the reveal posts should go. He made a mistake, and I made a mistake in getting too emotional as a response. I apologized and thanked him for his hosting efforts after the game. I still think he did a good job.

Psychotic's game was a little different. As far as I remember, there was no clarification on how long the Night/Day phases would last. I was playing as the Doctor, but the Night Phase had ended before I had a chance to submit an action. I was also replaced for another member despite the fact that several other members were also inactive, and for multiple periods of time during the game. I felt that the lack of clarity was very frustrating and that me being replaced was a little unfair. Again, Psychotic wasn't out to get me or anything. He just didn't clarify things and had a different idea in mind for the game than what I thought it was going to be when I signed up for it.

This game, my primary argument isn't even about myself. I'm upset that my post was removed in comparison to other's, sure. But I'm honestly just looking out for the other four players in the game who may not have had a chance to respond to the self-vote. That's what's most important to me. I want everyone to have a fair chance to respond and participate.

And instead look at what's happened. Fynn is taking personal shots at me and referring to my honest criticism as a "bitchfest." You, Freya, have taken this as an opportunity to expose my identity outside of the game (which is against the game's rules).

I had absolutely no intention of hurting anyone or upsetting anyone at all. All I wanted was to help make the game better and fair for everyone. Instead, I've essentially been ganged up on for speaking out about a game decision I didn't agree with. I'm beyond sad right now.

Formalhaut
02-22-2017, 05:44 PM
I remember watching a Psych episode that revolved around Shawn and Gus pretending to be contestants on one of those shows. That was a funny episode.

Psychotic
02-22-2017, 05:44 PM
Yeah just wanna say from a forums staff perspective, let's be kinder to each other, yeah? We don't have to make it personal. Let's chill.

Slothy
02-22-2017, 05:58 PM
Akihiko;3655380']I had absolutely no intention of hurting anyone or upsetting anyone at all. All I wanted was to help make the game better and fair for everyone. Instead, I've essentially been ganged up on for speaking out about a game decision I didn't agree with. I'm beyond sad right now.

Like I said man, by all means we can have a discussion about self voting if you want to come up with a definite stance to take in future games. I agree with you that it might be better to state it outright in the future just since it is such a strange situation to come up, even if it's almost certainly extremely unlikely to happen often. But for this game it really is just best to accept it and move on for the sake of having fun with the rest of this game.

Trust me, as someone who has had many a discussion on the rules in all sorts of table top games over the years, it's always better to just accept the final ruling, move on, and address it later than to get bent out of shape about it in the moment and let it spoil the game for you. And that includes situations where you feel like you're being screwed by the ruling. I've literally lost games due to rulings that I didn't necessarily completely agree with but agreed to because the specific rule supporting my argument was eluding me or because I got outvoted. But I still had fun with those games because I just accepted it and didn't let it spoil the rest of it for me, and after the game I went and looked up the rules or asked some other folks if they've ever run into the scenario so we can get it right next time.

I'm sorry you're sad about all this but I promise you if you can do like Psy says and step away to let yourself calm down a bit, maybe do something relaxing, and come back ready to jump back into the game as is now and only worry about discussing how we handle things in future games you'll have a much better time. I learned a long time ago that it's just a game in the end and no matter how badly you want the win it's not worth sacrificing your own fun when things don't go the way you think they should in situations like this where there is no clear right or wrong call based on the rules as written.

So take a break and come back refreshed man. Let's keep the fun going right until the end. I want you to have as much fun as everyone has been having up until now.

Fynn
02-22-2017, 06:00 PM
And I am sorry for being an ass. What I said was low. Really frickin' low.

Formalhaut
02-22-2017, 06:11 PM
I like what Vivi said.

I just want to take a moment out to say that, as host, but also as a regular member on this forum, that I am sincerely sorry that you are upset. As host, it is my duty to ensure that everyone is happy and enjoying the game. If even one player is not, then I have failed in the most basic part of my role. I will try to work towards correcting this.

Like Psy said, just take yourself out of the game for an hour or two. The Night phase isn't going anywhere fast.

I will say: I do appreciate what you're saying, and I'm taking everything on board, and changes will be made in whatever Mafia game I'm hosting next (being more clear on rules is start). No matter whether or not we agree on a decision I've made, I do appreciate that you're honest enough to tell me. I'd rather someone tell me than keep quiet and silently fume inside. I would only say to make feedback constructive, collaborative and supportive. That goes for everyone.

Moving forward, like Psy said, I hope everyone can move forward, and let calmer heads prevail. As host, I urge everyone to get along, have fun, and see where the Day takes us! :jess:

Fynn
02-22-2017, 06:19 PM
Yrah, moving forward. Town, again:

https://68.media.tumblr.com/189b6ddaa6ad8a9f76550f8e3d45d392/tumblr_okh2srH3y61t6wxguo1_500.gif

Good job on getting your first member of Strega! Think you can handle the rest? ;)

Shauna
02-22-2017, 06:20 PM
In light of all this positive feeling, I would appreciate it if all the remaining mafia members would make themselves known.

Thanks.

[M] Trevor - Gay Dad
02-22-2017, 06:21 PM
Sorry driving so I can't change accounts easy. When I saw the self vote I counted it and thought night time. I thought it counted and Form... Igor was just offline.

Formalhaut
02-22-2017, 06:22 PM
Naturally the one time I'm away from my computer an incredibly rare occurance happens in-game. :roll2

Fynn
02-22-2017, 06:23 PM
Jesus Jnpy!

You almost spoiled the whole game wow wtf

Formalhaut
02-22-2017, 06:24 PM
Junpei;3655403']Sorry driving so I can't change accounts easy

Also, I'd like to say on behalf of Igor that Igor doesn't advocate playing Mafia while driving.

Slothy
02-22-2017, 06:25 PM
Naturally the one time I'm away from my computer an incredibly rare occurance happens in-game. :roll2

Regardless of how much I enjoy ribbing you, it's all good man. This will be (hopefully) the last post I make about you that isn't me ribbing you.

Shauna
02-22-2017, 06:26 PM
In light of all this positive feeling, I would appreciate it if all the remaining mafia members would make themselves known.

Thanks.

*taps watch*

It's been 6 minutes guys.