PDA

View Full Version : Tbe Seven Sisters of TRAPPIST-1

Formalhaut
02-22-2017, 08:15 PM

So apparently there's been evidence of seven Earth-sized planets orbiting a small dwarf star and each one sits in the habitable zone (https://www.theguardian.com/science/across-the-universe/2017/feb/22/discovery-seven-planets-trappist-1-lottery-win-for-astronomers-looking-for-life-beyond-earth) for it.

I've always been fascinated by outer space and extrasolar phenomenon, so the discovery of seven potentially life-bearing planets is pretty exciting.

Fynn
02-22-2017, 08:22 PM
Fascinating! :O

Freya
02-22-2017, 08:43 PM
I am so hyped. I AM SO HYPED

In an Ask Me Anything (https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/5vkoyd/were_nasa_scientists_exoplanet_experts_ask_us/?st=izhekrn2&sh=227a762b) on Reddit, they said it can be seen in the sky near Aquarius in October. IT'S THE AGE OF AQUARIUS!

Oh man if this and the EM drives actually work, This.. this could be a feasible adventure within the next hundred years.

THEY THINK THERE COULD BE LIFE TOO. They'll be monitoring the atmospheres to see if there's any gases that aren't naturally created to be there. Which would indicate something made it. AND AND they have everything pointed over there listening.

It's only 40 light years away! As vivi22 said to me, that's like two houses down the street in the terms of the universe!

drotato
02-22-2017, 08:45 PM
holy shit, this is great!
now we can leave this shit stained earth behind and go shit stain another one just like it. :3

Freya
02-22-2017, 08:57 PM
"NASA's upcoming James Webb Telescope, launching in 2018, will take over with a much higher sensitivity. It will be able to detect the chemical fingerprints of water, methane, oxygen, ozone, and other components of a planet's atmosphere."

THINK OF THE DISCOVERIES. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Bubba
02-22-2017, 09:41 PM
There is no other life in the universe. We are all alone.

Fynn
02-22-2017, 09:43 PM
So?

Freya
02-22-2017, 09:46 PM
No there is! Statistically, there has to be. Math doesn't lie! We just have to find it!

Fynn
02-22-2017, 09:52 PM
I mean, that's likely, and I personally stand by it, but there is always a chance we're an anomaly.

Or it's possible that the universe is teeming with life but there's a natural barrier preventing any organisms from foreign planets from coming together.

Or maybe we've already met aliens.

There's no concrete proof one way or the other, is what I'm getting at. The general consensus in the field is a big shrug and "fuck if I know!"

Freya
02-22-2017, 10:09 PM
The distance, that's the barrier. SOoooo far apart

Fynn
02-22-2017, 10:18 PM
And it looks like it's getting even farther apart, faster and faster

Pike
02-22-2017, 10:25 PM
I mean, that's likely, and I personally stand by it, but there is always a chance we're an anomaly.

Or it's possible that the universe is teeming with life but there's a natural barrier preventing any organisms from foreign planets from coming together.

Or maybe we've already met aliens.

There's no concrete proof one way or the other, is what I'm getting at. The general consensus in the field is a big shrug and "smurf if I know!"

You forgot the possibility that we're all living in a computer simulation and they didn't program in extraterrestrial life, which is why we aren't finding any :eek:

Bubba
02-22-2017, 10:43 PM
THERE IS NOTHING ELSE. WE ARE HERE ALONE AND WILL DIE ALONE.

Slothy
02-22-2017, 11:36 PM
Like, in all of the universe's complex mystery, you truly can't comprehend a planet or life-form that doesn't need water or an ozone to survive?

There are many theories about just these sorts of life forms that could exist without the elements we require to live. But we focus on planets with the ingredients for life like ours predominantly because those are so far all hypothetical and ours is the only planet we've confirmed life to exist on. If we focus on trying to find conditions like ours we're far more likely to find life we can actually recognize as life, and not some silicon based rock eating creature that we need Spock to mind meld with to realize it's intelligent.

Pike
02-22-2017, 11:36 PM
not some silicon based rock eating creature that we need Spock to mind meld with to realize it's intelligent.

That was genuinely one of the better episodes of TOS tbh

Bubba
02-23-2017, 07:58 AM
In all seriousness, this is super-exciting. I'm going to encourage my son to take an interest in science and engineering so when he grows up he can then develop a safe, faster-than-light travel system so we can check these bad boys out.

Fynn
02-23-2017, 08:06 AM
The good thing is, we don't even need faster than light speed in order to get more info on these.

Also, since they're so close, we actually don't see them with much delay. 39 years is seriously short in space terms. So with some patience and luck, we might even get confirmation on them within our lifetime!

Cell
02-23-2017, 12:16 PM
I can't wait until we find life in the Trappist system and purge them all to make Earth great again.

Fynn
02-23-2017, 12:19 PM
We should build a space wall. And make them pay for it.

Cell
02-23-2017, 01:45 PM
We should build a space wall. And make them pay for it.

This is a good idea and I'll retweet it on Twitter.

Part of my wonder if we found alien life would our reaction change if they were

a) technologically superior to us or

b) technologically inferior to us

I think both would go badly as we can barely agree with each other let alone an alien race.

Freya
02-23-2017, 03:16 PM
I want them to find it and I want to see the religious right scramble to try to dismiss or whatever it.

Slothy
02-23-2017, 03:35 PM
I want them to find it and I want to see the religious right scramble to try to dismiss or whatever it.

Well they have lots of practice. They've been scrambling to dismiss things for hundreds of years.

Cell
02-23-2017, 03:50 PM

I sort of hope not, because Futurama summed up humanity pretty much:

"Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream: to kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things."

krissy
02-23-2017, 04:33 PM
this is how firefly starts aint it

Fynn
02-23-2017, 05:09 PM

Don't know about the extreme right, but Pope Francis told us Catholics many aliens most likely exist and we should welcome them with open arms because they are also children of God :monster:

So we're prepared XD

Slothy
02-23-2017, 06:13 PM
You know we live in a strange world when catholicism is one of the more reasonable religions these days. Good comeback from the crusades and the inquisition guys! :exdee:

Fynn
02-23-2017, 06:18 PM
To be fair, most scholarly stuff in the Middle Ages in Europe happened thanks to the efforts of the Church (I've had a whole class on book history which was NOT part of some weird religious studies, it was a regular secular class and all). Stuff isn't that black and white!

Don't get too excited though, Vivi, since the number of Catholics who refuse to accept Francis as the real Pope is through the roof XD

I'm still personally on board with welcoming the aliens, though, since I think Pope Francis is a swell dude!

Slothy
02-23-2017, 06:35 PM
Yeah, I do know all of that. But I just have so much fun poking fun at religion I can never resist.

Fynn
02-23-2017, 06:38 PM
http://i3.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/010/390/pC8jf5t4eWCDKcMu.jpg