PDA

View Full Version : Does naming your children after Final Fantasy characters sound weird to you?

Squall Leonhart Loire
03-04-2017, 02:30 AM
I most likely will never have children since I am an unattractive male but if I had kids I'd want to name one after a FF or another JRPG character.

Pumpkin
03-04-2017, 02:31 AM
I mean, if I like the name then that's not weird to me. I've always wanted to name a daughter Vivi, but I just think it's a pretty name

Squall Leonhart Loire
03-04-2017, 02:47 AM
I want to marry Rinoa but that doesn't exist.

Slothy
03-04-2017, 04:03 AM
I mean, if I like the name then that's not weird to me. I've always wanted to name a daughter Vivi, but I just think it's a pretty name

So sweet of you to want to name a child after me.

Psychotic
03-04-2017, 07:17 AM
Baby Bugenhagen will learn to love his name eventually.

Scruffington
03-04-2017, 07:28 AM
Doesn't sound like a good idea.

I can just imagine how ridiculous some of the names would sound. "Oh look, Sephiroth is picking on little Johnny again."

Psychotic
03-04-2017, 08:15 AM
Doesn't sound like a good idea.

I can just imagine how ridiculous some of the names would sound. "Oh look, Sephiroth is picking on little Johnny again."http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/finalfantasy/images/c/cc/Johnny-ffvii-field.png

Fynn
03-04-2017, 10:34 AM
I mean, can you imagine having your child walk around with a ridiculous name like Cecil, Rosa or, God forbid, Edward?

Elly
03-04-2017, 12:29 PM
nope, not weird at all, my nephew is named Vincent... now something like Tidus could be a problem as half the people would pronounce it right, the right one being the one the parent chose whether it be the proper Okinawan pronunciation or the whitewashed one...

Squall Leonhart Loire
03-04-2017, 07:27 PM
nope, not weird at all, my nephew is named Vincent... now something like Tidus could be a problem as half the people would pronounce it right, the right one being the one the parent chose whether it be the proper Okinawan pronunciation or the whitewashed one...You don't pronounce the 'us.'

Mr. Carnelian
03-04-2017, 09:37 PM
"Lightning, put down your phone. No Candy Crush during dinner. Balthier, stop kicking your sister under the table!"

Squall Leonhart Loire
03-04-2017, 10:05 PM
"Lightning, put down your phone. No Candy Crush during dinner. Balthier, stop kicking your sister under the table!"Pretty accurate.

maybee
03-05-2017, 07:32 AM
I mean, can you imagine having your child walk around with a ridiculous name like Cecil, Rosa or, God forbid, Edward?

Or even Sarah

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lej1v68PlH1qdlkgg.gif

Squall Leonhart Loire
03-05-2017, 07:44 AM

Those are normal white people names.

maybee
03-05-2017, 07:47 AM

Those are normal white people names.

https://i.imgur.com/utzTCyo.png

Squall Leonhart Loire
03-05-2017, 07:48 AM
A child named Sephiroth would be badass as fuck.

crashNUMBERS
03-07-2017, 02:35 AM
Well the funny thing about that is if you name your daughter Viviane, a proper Portuguese nickname for her would be Vivi.

Pumpkin
03-07-2017, 02:36 AM
Yeah but that's my grandmothers name and... she was not a good woman. So just Vivi for me :erm:

Not that the situation is (hopefully) going to come up

crashNUMBERS
03-07-2017, 02:52 AM
off topic but:
My dad wasn't a good man either, and I would dream of eventually changing my last name to my Mother's so that when I had kids I would be continuing the tree in her legacy. Then one day I thought to myself that I can just keep this name and redirect it's history to serve my own dignity. Aka, owning it for myself and doing my part with it's attachment.
you could do the same for your potentially future daughter

Pumpkin
03-07-2017, 02:53 AM
That's a positive perspective to take on it!

Del Murder
03-07-2017, 10:50 PM
My son's name is Leo. :D

crashNUMBERS
03-14-2017, 06:27 PM
^ well I hope he was born anywhere from July 23 - August 22

Sephiroth
03-14-2017, 09:03 PM
nope, not weird at all, my nephew is named Vincent... now something like Tidus could be a problem as half the people would pronounce it right, the right one being the one the parent chose whether it be the proper Okinawan pronunciation or the whitewashed one...You don't pronounce the 'us.'

Yes, you do. Just because he is written as Tiida does not mean the Tidus is meaningless. They very well chose Tidus as his name even in Japan whenever it is not written in Katakana - which can be seen in the manual of FFX and in Dissidia.

When it comes to names, I want my first daughter to have several names of things I love. The second name would be Aerith.

Laddy
03-14-2017, 10:05 PM
Something like Terra, Leila, Freya, Lulu, Rosa, Luna, Garnet, Fran, Maria, Beatrix, Ashe or Lenna are fairly conventional for girls.

For boys, Guy, Josef, Gordon, Scott, Ricard, Cecil, Kain, Cid, Vincent, Edgar, Locke, Leo, Barret, or Vincent are somewhat common boys names.

Del Murder
03-14-2017, 11:06 PM
I dare you to name one real life person named Freya.

Squall Leonhart Loire
03-14-2017, 11:08 PM
I dare you to name one real life person named Freya.Freya Mavor. Don't know who she is. She just came up when I typed in Freya + Actor

Spuuky
03-15-2017, 03:53 AM
Meet a lot of Lockes and Garnets, do you?

(I've met no one with almost any of the "common" names you listed)

Laddy
03-15-2017, 07:25 AM
Garnet is a gemstone, like Pearl or Ruby or Jade. Not that much of a reach.

I went to high school with a kid named Locke, and we called I guy I played only Survivor with Lach, short for Lachlan.

Spuuky
03-15-2017, 07:32 AM
I've never met someone named Pearl, Jade, or Ruby in real life, either. But Garnet is another step out there. No one names their kid Topaz or Labradorite. Of course I can IMAGINE someone naming their child that, but I can also imagine someone naming their child "North" or "Apple" or "God." They are not conventional names. I'd say maybe half the ones you listed would qualify.

Laddy
03-15-2017, 08:11 AM
Topaz was on Big Brother Canada so

Spuuky
03-15-2017, 06:00 PM
I am 100% certain that someone named "Topaz" on a reality TV show is not using their real name.

Yubel-Lover
03-15-2017, 06:56 PM
If I'd have a daughter (probably never going to happen) I'd name her Ashelia without a second thought :D

Laddy
03-16-2017, 12:59 AM
I am 100% certain that someone named "Topaz" on a reality TV show is not using their real name.

You're right, her real name is Emerald (http://bigbrother.wikia.com/wiki/Topaz_Brady).

Night Fury
03-19-2017, 02:41 AM
I dare you to name one real life person named Freya.

Freya is a pretty common girls name in Australia.

MSJ
03-19-2017, 03:54 AM
Not at all! I've known since I played Final Fantasy 6 that I wanted to name my daughter (god willing I ever have one!) Terra. Same spelling as well.

BustaMo
07-25-2017, 03:29 PM
I think if it's a really cool name you might as well be different and go for it. You probably won't run into many of your high school friends named Nanaki, Tidus, or Galuf. Now if you do name your kid that, I'm pretty sure hardcore gamers and FF fans around will get the reference. I've named a dog of mine after Nymeria off of Game of Thrones. A little bit different than an actual kid, but still, a lot of these names are very unique and only recognized in the Final Fantasy community.

Jinx
07-25-2017, 03:43 PM
If I ever had a daughter, I'm naming her Alisaie. So whatevs.

Edge7
07-25-2017, 09:33 PM
"Lightning, put down your phone. No Candy Crush during dinner. Balthier, stop kicking your sister under the table!"
For hard mode, go with Eclair and Ffamran.
Seriously though, there are some pretty nice names in Final Fantasy.

Bubba
07-26-2017, 08:30 PM
Fun fact: Before my son was born, my top picks for names were Joel for a boy and Ellie for a girl.

MissH knew damn well where my inspiration came from and vetoed them both :argh:

Raine Lockehart
07-29-2017, 09:06 PM
There are names out there that are far beyond the weirdness of Final Fantasy character names ¬_¬

That being said, I have always dreamed of naming future children after them, especially the female names like Edea, Rinoa, and Raine.

No particular preferences for male names though.