PDA

View Full Version : Is Dirge of Cerberus Worth Playing?

Lyndis Highwind
03-07-2017, 06:09 PM
Just like the title says. Is it worth playing? I've seen very mixed reviews about it. Some say it's good, some say it's horrible. Is it worth playing just to complete the compilation?

Formalhaut
03-07-2017, 06:14 PM
Yeah, I have heard some terrible things about it myself.

Karifean
03-07-2017, 06:16 PM
It's a pretty fun game. Not much beyond that.

Fynn
03-07-2017, 06:28 PM
It is the stupidest FF in existence

Sephiroth
03-07-2017, 06:41 PM
It is the stupidest FF in existence

But you also think Kefka is a well written character. :D

Seriously, Lyndis. Just play it. Or let me tell you what it is about.

fat_moogle
03-07-2017, 07:45 PM
There was nothing memorable about this game at all.

Fynn
03-07-2017, 07:47 PM

Other than Lucrecia's sheer, unspeakable idiocy

fat_moogle
03-07-2017, 07:57 PM

Other than Lucrecia's sheer, unspeakable idiocy

I barely even remember her to be honest xD you know, I'm not even sure I got around to completing this. All I remember is disappointment xD

Fynn
03-07-2017, 08:01 PM
If you want my opinion, Lyndis, it's hot garbage. But everyone likes a little bit of hot garbage once in a while :D If you have the means to play it for free, go for it and make your own opinion about it. If you can't get it free or really, really cheap, I'd give it a skip

fat_moogle
03-07-2017, 08:03 PM
If you want my opinion, Lyndis, it's hot garbage. But everyone likes a little bit of hot garbage once in a while :D If you have the means to play it for free, go for it and make your own opinion about it. If you can't get it free or really, really cheap, I'd give it a skip

I whoreheartedly concur! :)

Squall Leonhart Loire
03-07-2017, 09:20 PM
It lets you know that Vincent was the true badass of Final Fantasy VII. :p

maybee
03-08-2017, 07:05 AM
No.

Bad gameplay
confuses the FF VII story even more
Turns Vincent from a enigmatic almost poetic character into " LU- CRE-CIAAAAAAAAAAA " !!!!

Skyblade
03-09-2017, 09:36 PM
As someone who played it, beat it, and enjoyed it... I cannot recommend it.

It really is not a well designed game. There are a host of terrible design decisions in the gameplay that largely cripple it. Mostly it was a multi-week grinding session that got me to the position where I found it fun.

The story is bonkers. The characters are wacky, and a huge example of Your Mileage May Vary. The combat is a mess. Jumping is incredibly awkward (fortunately it is rarely required).

I don't really recommend it. The technical gameplay issues are too high to make it enjoyably bad, unless you are prepared work around them (which takes a while).

Sephiroth
03-09-2017, 11:23 PM
It is really impressive how Crisis Core and Advent Children as well as FFVII and FFVIIRemake are all written by Nojima-san but Dirge of Cerberus was written by the director of World of FF, Chiba-san.

Summary for Lyndis:

In Final Fantasy VII Hojo secretly planned to become god-like by becoming one with the Lifestream - so he did not just want to strengthen Sephiroth with the Sister Ray but actually also profit from the Lifestreams power. Hojo took those Jenova cells because he wanted to prepare his body but those cells influenced his body and mind. When Hojo was about to die he could not accept that he would die and still wanted to become one with "Omega". So he virtualized his consciousness and awoke as virtual entity again. With this he could exist without the body he lost but he still needed a solid body for his plan. He thought of Deepground a place below Midgar and took control of Weiss' body of the Tsviets. He then commanded Deepground to kidnap a lot of people so they could be sacrificed and the planet would be fooled to summon Omega - because when the planet is about to die normally Chaos awakens, ends all life so the planet's energy can gather as one and Omega can manifest to fly to the next thing that is supposed to be born as planet. Vincent in the end realizes that it is Hojo but actually Hojo himself gets destroyed because Weiss brother Nero tainted his body so Vincent has to fight Weiss in the end, who has become connected to Omega. Vincent has to use the power of Chaos that he controls with the Proto Materia and manages to beat Weiss before Omega kills the planet.

Meanwhile we get to know that Lucrecia was depressed from Grimoire's death, Vincent's father. He saved her life from the Chaos genes attacking her but died in this process. This made her mind so fragile that she also agreed to join Hojo iN Jenova Project S.

When Dirge of Cerberus ends, Genesis awakens and takes Weiss with him.

This is a very short version of the story.

Lyndis Highwind
03-10-2017, 05:17 PM
Thanks for the summary Sephiroth! I kind of want to play it now just to see how weird it is for myself. I'll probably do what Fynn suggested and get it for really cheap somewhere.

Bubba
03-11-2017, 07:28 AM
Thanks for the summary Sephiroth! I kind of want to play it now just to see how weird it is for myself. I'll probably do what Fynn suggested and get it for really cheap somewhere.

Yeah, I picked it up for really cheap. I just haven't gotten round to playing it yet. Maybe when I've finished Andromeda I'll give it a whirl too.

No.

Bad gameplay
confuses the FF VII story even more
Turns Vincent from a enigmatic almost poetic character into " LU- CRE-CIAAAAAAAAAAA " !!!!

That last cry combined with your signature made me picture Lucrecia as having a hot ass.

Laddy
03-11-2017, 10:38 AM
It's in the Compilation so hard no.

krissy
03-13-2017, 08:02 PM
its more linear than ffxiii
and less fun
but the yuffie cutscenes were fun

Sephiroth
03-13-2017, 08:55 PM
its more linear than ffxiii
and less fun
but the yuffie cutscenes were fun

Dirge of Cerberus had tons of optionals so no.

TrollHunter
03-14-2017, 12:41 AM
I've owned it since I was a kid and have tried to play through it countless times. I always get painfully bored and hit my breaking point a couple hours in. My brother beat the entirety of it somehow, from what I saw the game does not seem to improve at all.

It's garbage. What really sucks is normally I love bad games, half my collection is made up of cheap garbage games I find hilarious and Im always hunting down more cheesy nonsense. This game is sadly the kind of bad thats a chore to deal with. The gameplay leaves a lot to be desired, the color palette is murky and uninteresting and the characters are very not good. The only recommendation I can give is to avoid it and play something actually worth your time.

Example
05-14-2017, 03:16 PM
It has arguably the dumbest story of anything Final Fantasy related, barring maybe the blitzbomb melodrama from X-2.5.

If you want a real laugh, check out The Dark Id's Let's Play of the game. Advent Children and Crisis Core sucked too, but probably not as laughably awful as Dirge of Cerberus.

Sephiroth
05-14-2017, 08:22 PM
It has arguably the dumbest story of anything Final Fantasy related, barring maybe the blitzbomb melodrama from X-2.5.

If you want a real laugh, check out The Dark Id's Let's Play of the game. Advent Children and Crisis Core sucked too, but probably not as laughably awful as Dirge of Cerberus.

Because the Let's Play of a random internet guy is always a valid reference.

Elly
05-15-2017, 01:30 AM
yeah, there's a reason i'm opposed to watching those things if you hadn't played the game yourself first... it's better to form your own opinion before checking out someone else's, lest their opinion color your own and ruin what you might have previously enjoyed had you not been subconsciously influenced by someone else's opinion first...

Example
05-15-2017, 10:49 AM
Fair enough, but I actually did play the game. Never finished though, but from the few hours I've sunk into it the general consensus was spot on. I just thought I'd share it because it's the only thing of worth to come from the game.

Elly
05-15-2017, 01:25 PM
yeah there were many things about that game i didn't like either, it's in serious need of a remester to fix many of those problems... for example invisible walls over railings and chest-high barriers have got to go... the first time Vincent was killed in Kalm, North Side (that little town square with a small tower in the middle) because Vincent couldn't jump off the top of the little tower or over the railing was a real put-off for me... it's little things like that that bothered me, but there was more i liked from the game too, from it's story to its occasional humor to it's visual style and atmosphere... if i let all the little things bother me, instead of adjusting, i doubt there'd be a single game i'd want to play...
to me the game was good, not great or a masterpiece, but good... i really need to replay it, but not on my PS2 this time, rather on PSX2 with the resolution set to 4x... i really hate how limited the physical PS2s video output is and the fact it's locked there on the machine, it does the games no justice visually...

Sephiroth
05-15-2017, 06:33 PM
yeah there were many things about that game i didn't like either, it's in serious need of a remester to fix many of those problems... for example invisible walls over railings and chest-high barriers have got to go... the first time Vincent was killed in Kalm, North Side (that little town square with a small tower in the middle) because Vincent couldn't jump off the top of the little tower or over the railing was a real put-off for me... it's little things like that that bothered me, but there was more i liked from the game too, from it's story to its occasional humor to it's visual style and atmosphere... if i let all the little things bother me, instead of adjusting, i doubt there'd be a single game i'd want to play...
to me the game was good, not great or a masterpiece, but good... i really need to replay it, but not on my PS2 this time, rather on PSX2 with the resolution set to 4x... i really hate how limited the physical PS2s video output is and the fact it's locked there on the machine, it does the games no justice visually...

Considering Bayonetta and Nier 2 had fantastic Action Elements I think Square should have collaborated with Platinum Games for DoC. Also the script should not have been by Chiba-san alone (but I loved it nonetheless) but by Nojima-san & Chiba-san.

BustaMo
07-25-2017, 07:25 AM
I really didn't enjoy playing Dirge of Cerberus, it just wasn't fun to me.

BUTTTTT, the story line of it and how Vincent was better understood as a character after I beat it as a huge help and enlightened me on FF knowledge I had no idea about after I played through the main FFVII game years before. Glad I played it, but probably will never pick it up again. I'm not a shooter RPG kinda gamer.