PDA

View Full Version : Let's give this Mass Effect a go, then.

fat_moogle
03-07-2017, 07:42 PM
I've just got out from under my rock and have bought Mass Effect and Mass Effect 3 on the PS Store for £8. I've never played these games before and I forgot I had Mass Effect 2 as a PS+ game, but I didn't want to play it before the first. Any tips for a newcomer? NO SPOILERS PLEASE

Freya
03-07-2017, 09:30 PM
Try to talk to EVERYONE. Every NPC in a new place and each time if you return to that place, there are a ton of side quests you only get from talking to people! Talk to every Crew member after every mission, even sidequests! That's how you get info about their backstory and also unlocks quests that involve their personal story lines!

The first game is a bit more narrow on your "Nice" (paragon) and "Aggressive" (Renegade) dialog choices. By this I mean you'll need to try to stick more one way or the other for certain end game results. Still feel free to pick whatever dialog you want. It just helps if you go more fully one way over the other. If you're firmly in the middle without a majority one side or other, it will limit some choices in the end game. I think they tried to "reward" a player for being one way or the other but yeah. Sometimes an aggressive stance works better than a nice one! ME1 was the worst about this. It gets better in 2 and 3 though.

The gameplay in ME1 is a bit slower but the story is great so don't get upset if at first it seems a bit hard. They were going for a RPG with shooter elements. While ME2 and ME3 are a shooter with RPG elements.

I'll give some more tips when you get to ME2. :D

Mostly, enjoy this grand adventure :3

Formalhaut
03-07-2017, 10:03 PM
Yeah, like Freya said, speak to everyone every main mission. I tend to get paranoid and speak to them after I've done some sidequests as well, but they never say anything specific.

Your mandatory quest in the Citadel gives you the potential to recruit the majority of your squadmates; be sure to do so. Though they kinda tend to 'appear' before you so they are exceptionally hard to miss. Just be sure to accept their offer of help.

In terms of main missions, similar to Dragon Age: Origins you can do them in any order but they are roughly level-gated: it is easier (and recommended) to do the 'Find T'Soni' mission as it is the easiest mission of the set you're given, and you also pick up your final squadmate. Humorously, you can leave her mission last. The scenes change, which is a nice touch.

Feel free to do exploratory Mako roving at your leisure. You'll have to do some anyway as part of sidequests, but you should pick up items that end up being important in the most roundabout manner in the third game. In particular, make sure you complete the 'Asari Writings' sidequest complete, obtain an Elkoss Combine weapons licence, and pick up data in a sidequest on Feros. Together, they allow you to complete a sidequest in ME: 3. Obviously, don't worry about it now.

The combat is the slowest, and is slightly faded over time, but it is still perfectly good to play. It is much easier playin ME: 1 than Dragon Age: Origins, that's for sure. What class are you thinking of choosing? I can give further advice and advise you on what sort of squadmates suit.

Mr. Carnelian
03-07-2017, 10:08 PM
Mass Effect 1 tips
Tip 1: Femshep
Tip 2: Cover is your friend
Tip 3: Only spend money on the guns you're actually going to use

Mass Effect 2 tips
Tip 1: Mine planets every so often. It's boring, but it's got to be done
Tip 2: Cover has upgraded to your bestie. You and cover must now be BFFs
Tip 3: Don't be afraid to use your heavy weapons

Mass Effect 3 tips
Tip 1: Beware the insta-kill enemies
Tip 2: You and cover are now so co-dependant, it's becoming creepy
Tip 3: Get the Citadel DLC

fat_moogle
03-07-2017, 10:19 PM
Thanks guys, I'll keep your tips in mind! :)

I'm not sure what classes are available. I'm literally going in blind to these games, I haven't even read up about them xD
I need to stop writing sentences beginning with I.

Formalhaut
03-07-2017, 11:01 PM
It's your experience, you can use all the 'I's' you like!

I will say I personally like to play as a Sentinel in all three games. I like not dying, and in ME: 2 and ME: 3 it is absolutely a defensive build. In ME: 1, it sort of plays as a jack-of-all-stats, which I'm also happy with.

Honestly though pick any of the six classes you like. They're all good in their own ways!

fat_moogle
03-08-2017, 12:33 AM
I'm waiting for the game to download before I can do anything. I forgot how slow download speeds were on the PS3 xD I'll keep the Sentinel in mind. Not dying sounds good to me, and being that I'll probably be terrible at the game I'll need all the defence I need xD

Formalhaut
03-08-2017, 01:15 AM
I'm waiting for the game to download before I can do anything. I forgot how slow download speeds were on the PS3 xD I'll keep the Sentinel in mind. Not dying sounds good to me, and being that I'll probably be terrible at the game I'll need all the defence I need xD

System updates are the bane of my existance. Especially on the PS3. Never seemed to end.

The Summoner of Leviathan
03-08-2017, 01:54 AM
Thanks guys, I'll keep your tips in mind! :)

I'm not sure what classes are available. I'm literally going in blind to these games, I haven't even read up about them xD
I need to stop writing sentences beginning with I.

The basic division is Biotic, Tech, and Soldier which is really your mage, rogue, and warrior respectively. Then you have roles that are a mix of each.

Slothy
03-08-2017, 03:28 AM

System updates are the bane of my existance. Especially on the PS3. Never seemed to end.

I loved when they updated the store to be so god damn slow that I never use it unless I absolutely have to. If course, it never helped that they kept changing the categories and ui and it's probably a worse design now than it was when it came out honestly.

03-08-2017, 03:32 AM

I loved when they updated the store to be so god damn slow that I never use it unless I absolutely have to. If course, it never helped that they kept changing the categories and ui and it's probably a worse design now than it was when it came out honestly.

I love the PS4 Store interface. The PS3 one is the anti-Christ.

fat_moogle
03-08-2017, 01:09 PM

I love the PS4 Store interface. The PS3 one is the anti-Christ.
Yeah, the PS4 Store interface is much, much smoother! PS3 is far too clunky, but there are cheap games so all is forgiven xD

OH AND THE GAMES HAVE FINISHED DOWNLOADING.

EDIT: UGH, I forgot how slow the game install speeds are! SERIOUSLY IS THIS POS FROM THE STONE AGE?! xD

Vyk
03-08-2017, 03:11 PM
Point of note, if this is your first game like this, unless you're playing on easy, try not to forget you have squadmates, especially in some of the tougher battles. Their AI is competent, but nothing is going to replace telling people where to go and when and how to use their abilities to your best advantage

fat_moogle
03-08-2017, 07:31 PM
Point of note, if this is your first game like this, unless you're playing on easy, try not to forget you have squadmates, especially in some of the tougher battles. Their AI is competent, but nothing is going to replace telling people where to go and when and how to use their abilities to your best advantage

Yep, this is the first game I've played like this. I started this earlier, landed on Eden, and found myself meeting a swift death xD I decided to go with the Vanguard class. There's quite a lot to take in with the skill points, weapons and armour upgrades, squad control etc. It might take me some getting used to.

Pumpkin
03-08-2017, 09:30 PM
I've only played 2 and part of 3 but here are some tips. Not super spoilery since they won't make sense out of context

1. Agree with me about Tali/Kasumi being best
2. DO NOT romance Jacob
3. Pink camo space armour is 100% the best thing you can do with your armour customization
4. Sentinel is super good for extra defense if you suck like me

Formalhaut
03-08-2017, 09:58 PM
Haha, Vanguard is like the least defensive-minded class in the game, especially in ME: 2 and ME: 3. I actually picked Vanguard in ME: 1 in my first playthrough though, and I am not good at shooters so you should do fine if I survived on Casual.

Shotgun to the face!

fat_moogle
03-08-2017, 11:39 PM
I'm going to stick with Vanguard. Once I get the controls down I should be fine. Now I just need to stop pressing triangle to access the menu instead of the start button and wasting medi-gel xD I've only played for about an hour.

Formalhaut
03-08-2017, 11:58 PM
Yeah, you'll get there.

Also, why ME: 1 isn't as cover-based as the other two games, cover will lengthen your life. Always keep a mind as to where you could duck out if you need to.

Bubba
03-10-2017, 12:18 PM
Now I just need to stop pressing triangle to access the menu instead of the start button and wasting medi-gel xD I've only played for about an hour.

Haha, this was me!

I went with Infiltrator as I liked being able to open all the doors myself instead of having to rely on team mates. I'm currently halfway through my first play of ME3 (check out my ME thread when you're a decent way through :D). ME1 is definitely clunky in terms of gameplay but stick with it. The story is amazing!

03-11-2017, 10:25 PM
Now I just need to stop pressing triangle to access the menu instead of the start button and wasting medi-gel xD I've only played for about an hour.

Haha, this was me!

This is me replaying ME2 ATM. Using my MMO mouse and my medigels are 3 and Throw is 6 and the buttons are on top of each other. :(