PDA

View Full Version : Nonconventional Gaming Couples

Pumpkin
03-08-2017, 09:52 PM
So we all know the typical video game couple. They meet and fall in love during the game, they're young, beautiful, white, straight. But I wanted to talk about the ones that defy those norms and do it well.

What are some examples of these kinds of couples that you can think of?

Shipping doesn't count unless I agree with you >.>

Fynn
03-08-2017, 09:55 PM
ALPHYS AND UNDYNE!!!

Squall Leonhart Loire
03-08-2017, 10:01 PM
Zidane and Garnet. Zidane has a monkey tail...

Jun and Tetsuya, Persona 2. This one is obvious for anyone who knows or played it. They're two men going for each other. And even if they don't actually end up becoming a couple it was obvious.

Psychotic
03-08-2017, 10:10 PM
So we all know the typical video game couple. They meet and fall in love during the game, they're young, beautiful, white, straight.I was going to say the Barret x Cloud romance but then they fail to meet all of that criteria because Barret is so beautiful.

Pumpkin
03-08-2017, 10:11 PM
They can just be unconventional in one of the ways

Psychotic
03-08-2017, 10:12 PM
Yes but Barret is beautiful to such a degree that it cancels out all of the other ones.

Pumpkin
03-08-2017, 10:16 PM
Oh okay

Squall Leonhart Loire
03-08-2017, 10:19 PM
Barret x Tifa

Karifean
03-08-2017, 10:38 PM
Bernkastel and Lambdadelta :D

Pike
03-08-2017, 10:59 PM
Dorian and The Iron Bull

maybee
03-09-2017, 01:24 AM
Vivi x Quina.....?

Pheesh
03-09-2017, 01:46 AM
Ellie and Riley in The Last of Us: Left Behind DLC.

Slothy
03-09-2017, 02:06 AM

That reminds me that I still haven't bought and played that DLC.

The Summoner of Leviathan
03-09-2017, 02:44 AM
Tali and Garrus?

Formalhaut
03-09-2017, 04:23 AM
I never miss a chance to gay it up or watch a gay romance. Dorian and The Iron Bull is a great example.

Pumpkin
03-09-2017, 06:59 AM
The one that immediately springs to mind for me is Elissa and Daphnis from Tears to Tiara 2. He cross dresses as a woman so he can follow her everywhere, he's definitely the more feminine one, and he's so dedicated to his cross-dressing that at one point he needs to dress like a man so instead of removing his woman's clothes, he cross-dresses as a woman cross-dressing as a man. I mean, that's some dedication right there

Also Sorey and Mikleo from Tales of Zestiria but that's not "official" even though it's pretty obvious to me

Pike
03-09-2017, 11:14 AM
I never miss a chance to gay it up or watch a gay romance. Dorian and The Iron Bull is a great example.

I love Dorian and someday I'm gonna make a male quiz to romance him with but I just have such a hard time replaying DAI and I keep wanting to replay DAO/DA2 over and over. Someday, though... someday.

03-09-2017, 01:12 PM
I wasn't the only one who though Mikleo and Sorey were more than friends?

Pumpkin
03-09-2017, 02:48 PM
No I think they're pretty clearly more than friends but some would vehemently disagree I learned by reading a Steam thread >.>

krissy
03-09-2017, 02:50 PM
http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/0/7025/350417-companion_cube.jpg

Slothy
03-09-2017, 04:40 PM
http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/0/7025/350417-companion_cube.jpg

That's the end of the thread guys. Can't be topped.

Vyk
03-09-2017, 10:38 PM
I forget the names of the gentlemen, but in mass effect there are a couple of guys, one of them is a pilot for you, and Shepherd has to console him during trying times and it seemed sweet

03-09-2017, 11:15 PM
No I think they're pretty clearly more than friends but some would vehemently disagree I learned by reading a Steam thread >.>

They just suck.

Sephiroth
03-09-2017, 11:50 PM
I would immediately say Link and Malon but I do not know how non-conventional those two really are.

Pumpkin
03-09-2017, 11:59 PM
I would immediately say Link and Malon but I do not know how non-conventional those two really are.

For some reason I thought you wrote Talon and I was going to say that that's a very unconventional couple

Sephiroth
03-10-2017, 12:01 AM

For some reason I thought you wrote Talon and I was going to say that that's a very unconventional couple

Good lord. I do not hate Link to wish him that.

Pumpkin
03-10-2017, 12:20 AM
Since you guys keep shipping couples instead of appreciating actual couples, I made you a shipping thread.

Go over there :colbert:

Bubba
03-11-2017, 07:48 AM

DLC how it should be done. It's beautiful and brilliant. Get on it.

Vyk
03-11-2017, 05:24 PM
Wasn't it fairly official, though not completely overt, that Balthier and Fran were a thing in FFXII? If true, that's completely out of the ordinary for a Final Fantasy game, or Japanese game in general. They tend not to rely on subtlety over there, especially with romance, they tend to like to spell it out for you over and over again

Slothy
03-11-2017, 06:03 PM

Planning to. I've been replaying Uncharted 3 right now, and once I'm done that I'll play The Last of Us again, and then purchase that DLC.

Madame Adequate
03-11-2017, 07:34 PM
I forget the names of the gentlemen, but in mass effect there are a couple of guys, one of them is a pilot for you, and Shepherd has to console him during trying times and it seemed sweet

Joker, he falls in love with EDI, an AI (which are illegal), and at that point she doesn't have a body or her body can be thought of as the Normandy SR-2 itself. Which is pretty unconventional!

Psychotic
03-11-2017, 10:29 PM
I thought Vyk was referring to Cortez rather than Joker!

03-11-2017, 10:49 PM
Cortez is my romance in 3 cuz I can't have Thane, ever. :(

Madame Adequate
03-12-2017, 08:47 PM

who the hell is cortez

Formalhaut
03-12-2017, 08:55 PM
He's your pilot in ME: 3! I haven't romanced him yet. I was gunning for Kaiden with my M!Shep. Maybe on another playthrough...

I haven't played Tales of Zesteria yet. So how overt is it? I do sometimes wish games would just flat out make something of it instead of 'oooh, are they a couple'?

Slothy
03-12-2017, 10:56 PM

Apparently I already bought it and never played it. I have zero memory of this.

Psychotic
03-12-2017, 11:07 PM

who the hell is cortezSteve

Vyk
03-12-2017, 11:26 PM
Yeah, Cortez. I was on my phone so I couldn't go into great detail. But Cortez talks about his husband when they are separated and presumed dead. Even a voice log was left for him as a final goodbye. A hard moment for the guy that Shepard has a chance to help him through

Pumpkin
03-12-2017, 11:35 PM
I haven't played Tales of Zesteria yet. So how overt is it? I do sometimes wish games would just flat out make something of it instead of 'oooh, are they a couple'?

It's never explicitly stated but I really feel like it would be generally accepted that they're a couple if it wasn't a gay couple.

Formalhaut
03-12-2017, 11:52 PM

It's never explicitly stated but I really feel like it would be generally accepted that they're a couple if it wasn't a gay couple.

That's kinda what I was angling at. That the best it can be is 'well maybe' and rampant shipping, as opposed to canon or given official status because it is a gay couple.

When I get to playing Zesteria I'd find it very interesting to see how it is represented in-game.

Vyk
03-13-2017, 12:00 AM
It's Cloud and Tifa if they didn't spend 10 years away from each other, and constantly picked on each other. It can be interpreted both ways, but there's still a valid argument to be had for it

Vermachtnis
03-13-2017, 01:16 AM

I've only clocked a few hours in and it seems pretty clear to me. I mean they never stated it, but yeah.

Pumpkin
03-13-2017, 01:26 AM

That's kinda what I was angling at. That the best it can be is 'well maybe' and rampant shipping, as opposed to canon or given official status because it is a gay couple.

When I get to playing Zesteria I'd find it very interesting to see how it is represented in-game.

Here are some of the hints:
-At one point another character asks the main dude to check out the babes. He checks out the other guy.
-Another time the same dude is talking about ladies. The other guy tells him basically that he's barking up the wrong tree with the main dude.
-The other guy gets jealous when main dude has to be pretend married to one of the ladies
-There's an ending thing I don't want to spoil.
-It's basically stated that they're soul mates and the non-shippers are like "But like... FRIEND soul mates!!!"
-They argue like a married couple.
-Main dude knows other guy's true name, something stated to be very intimate for a seraphim (the mystical creature thing the other guy is) and something they by no means share with everyone.

And many other little odds and ends here and there that you'll discover when you play the game!

03-13-2017, 02:23 AM

Here are some of the hints:
-At one point another character asks the main dude to check out the babes. He checks out the other guy.
-Another time the same dude is talking about ladies. The other guy tells him basically that he's barking up the wrong tree with the main dude.
-The other guy gets jealous when main dude has to be pretend married to one of the ladies
-There's an ending thing I don't want to spoil.
-It's basically stated that they're soul mates and the non-shippers are like "But like... FRIEND soul mates!!!"
-They argue like a married couple.
-Main dude knows other guy's true name, something stated to be very intimate for a seraphim (the mystical creature thing the other guy is) and something they by no means share with everyone.

And many other little odds and ends here and there that you'll discover when you play the game!

I feel like I missed a lot of this stuff...

Pumpkin
03-13-2017, 02:24 AM
Gosh darn it watch the skits >:[

See TSoL didn't even see most of that and he still thinks they're a couple